Focused Feedback: Costumes

I'm not sure if I'm making a request or pointing out an accidently locked piece, but:

image.thumb.jpeg.023c7363f69ae565033d3019760c2352.jpeg

In detail 2 in hats, there's an extremely cool little hood used as a section of the Plague Doctor collective ensemble. But that hood by itself is an excellent costume piece I can see a *lot* of additional uses for from hoodies to ninja looks to etc. Is it possible to proliferate it to the other Head Slots like Standard or Full Masks? I don't think it needs any adjustment, it just looks like it was missed or chosen not to appear in those head types.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Awilix said:

Is it possible to proliferate it to the other Head Slots like Standard or Full Masks? I don't think it needs any adjustment, it just looks like it was missed or chosen not to appear in those head types.

Porting it to Hoods would make a lot of sense also.

• Like 1

I am pleased with the look and feel of the new berets and ACH helmets.  It definitely adds additional options to military themed characters.  I also appreciate the proper "bun" of hair on the female berets; mil reg represent.  Love the PPD SWAT patch.  I think there are too many Special Forces Group badges mixed in there when other generic logos could be fit in place (even to units that don't wear berets); Marine Raiders, MRF from Vietnam, etc.

But I would really like to see added is a O-6 (Bird) (Navy Captain, Colonel in all other services) .  Color changes can be used to differ 0-1/O-2 (Ensign/1st LT Navy and whatever the other services call them 🙂) as well as O-4/O-5 LCDR/CDR (Navy), MAJ/LTC (All others).  But that is just nit picking.

The Cybil costumes give me some ideas for a number of toons.  Like.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, Exiliath said:

But they are evil. It goes against the entire philosophy of Homecoming. Prismatic Aethers are already a huge headache and a mistake in themselves, we should not allow that kind of things to happen anymore.

Evil?

Take a breath friendo. Slow your roll. These aren't microtransactions, these are unlockables. While you might still dislike the idea, they are nowhere near the same ballpark, and your kind of emotional outburst should be saved for ACTUAL sins by the dev team. This just doesn't qualify.

While I do cherish having everything unlocked these days, I think there's room for some things to be unlockable to encourage further engagement with the content.

We have to remember that this is a GAME, and not Second Life, much as you and I may treat it that way. XD

• Thanks 4

I have 0 issue with unlockable costume pieces.

My only piece of feedback is that it should be an account-wide unlock once one character gets the badge. You don't need to give the badge to every character, just unlock the Snake capes for everyone. That means all you have to do, if you don't already have a character with the badge, is roll up a villain and spend like 20 minutes fighting Snakes in Mercy and you're done, or send one of your Rogues or Vigilantes or already existing redside characters to do it even faster.

Edited by crippl3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Okay from the female side of the costume spectrum I'll give my take.  This is all fabulous!  

There's lots to like here but I'll give some of my favorites.  The new clockwork glove is real neat for hand blaster types.  Both the half helmet options are fantastic.  The Sybil robes are a no brainer and that you can still lots of things with armor pieces its quite good, safe to say there'll be a lot of armored Sybils running around.  The snake skin capes are real beautiful!  I love the clockwork backpacks.  Also the weapon holsters for bows and pistols is quite nice, I understand there may be clipping at times but really looks good.  Finally the Paragon Protector pattern I love that we are getting this.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sovera said:

After all the hype about the sybil clothes I'm surprised at the lack of reaction about them.

After learning that it was a Top only option (no chance to play Mix and Match) I kind of passed on them.  They look good, but I was hoping for a little more on control on what I could equip or not.

I bet it has something to do with clipping with other costume parts.

• Like 2

ACH Helmet seems to be out-of-place in the Half Helmets section. Unlike the Beret, Terra, Warrior, or any of the other parts the ACH Helmet doesn't have any additional pieces that would come in the half-helmets exclusive section. It actually seems to be at a net loss for options considering things like Black Knight 1/2 are only available under Helmets. And the vast majority of the Half-Helmets options are polar opposite styles-clash or just clip horrendously like the Half-helmet exclusive visors. It's a small thing, but I feel like the ACH would be better placed in the regular Helmets category rather than where it is now.

• Retired Developer
5 hours ago, Starhammer said:

The helmet details not designed specifically for it clip/mesh terribly. And you know what? I'm absolutely fine with that.

We do have a way to prevent these combinations. Unfortunately, the costume validation screen when you load a saved .costume file does not currently work with parts using that method yet.

The seethrough version of the sybil costume (Roman Sybil 2) doesn't seem to animate correctly in the costume creator. Some parts move and some are frozen, and some of the frozen parts are frozen in a position where they're clipping. Seems to be fine outside the costume creator.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

After all the hype about the sybil clothes I'm surprised at the lack of reaction about them.

Give them time, they only have one hand free at the moment.

• Haha 7
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:50 AM, The Curator said:

Widow > Pants > "Blood Widow" adjusted texture around inner knee.

Just a note that many of the Female leg textures are misaligned at the knees. The Vanguard texture, for example has an identical issue where the inner leg texture clips into the plate on the front of the leg near the knee.

This suggests the issue is not with the textures, but with the UV mapping of the female figure. Fix the UV map for the figure and ALL the original textures will work as intended without needing to re-edit them.

Male, Female, Huge:

• Head > Full Helmets > Chitin Helm > "Masks" should now work properly.

If you have a lot of Chitin helmet costumes (for those that reported this issue), you can open your .costume files and update the texture path to include '!face_' before the pattern name so it passes validation when loading.

Still doesn't seem like the Chitin helm has any masks on there?  Assuming this means the textures and not just the geometry

Capture.PNG

• Thanks 1

Sybil costume bits work just fine with a KM Stalker's animations and the Spectrum under-bits. 

I do find myself wishing we could use some of the other wide belts with it, though. That Roman one is a little.... loud, let's say. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

58 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

I do find myself wishing we could use some of the other wide belts with it, though. That Roman one is a little.... loud, let's say. 

Yeah, the unchangeable belt was disappointing. If there's some technical reason why it can't be changed it would be nice to at least get some alternate textures for it.

• Like 1

Just now, Tatterhood said:

Yeah, the unchangeable belt was disappointing. If there's some technical reason why it can't be changed it would be nice to at least get some alternate textures for it.

IIRC what's been said about the pieces in the past... The top and bottom parts don't quite meet in the middle, so to speak. You can't see that mismatch when it's worn with the very wide sybil belt, but it's obvious with thinner ones or no belt at all. That's why I wondered if the wider belts we have like Elemental Order (I think?) or the Imperial one might work.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

• Retired Developer
2 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

Just a note that many of the Female leg textures are misaligned at the knees. The Vanguard texture, for example has an identical issue where the inner leg texture clips into the plate on the front of the leg near the knee.

This suggests the issue is not with the textures, but with the UV mapping of the female figure. Fix the UV map for the figure and ALL the original textures will work as intended without needing to re-edit them.

There is often no usable texture data in the empty spaces outside of the UV mapping. If the UVs got updated, it would negatively effect hundreds of texture files that were authored for the current UV set.

Whether or not a particular texture looks quirky right now is simply due to the care given to that area on the seam by the original artists. The UVs in that particular spot are not optimal to work with for texture artists though, so that's likely why a lot of them had a hard time making it seamless before the advent of 3d texturing.

You are correct in that they should be fixed, but it's not worth the time involved to check and fix every single hip texture it would impact in order to do so, vs fixing the worst offenders that come up.

Also, while there are ways to automate things like that very quickly for flat files, that wouldn't apply to the source PSDs themselves, which are where changes to textures would actually need to occur.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Naomi said:

We do have a way to prevent these combinations. Unfortunately, the costume validation screen when you load a saved .costume file does not currently work with parts using that method yet.

uh yeah... preventing combinations is the total antithesis of my desires in costuming 😞

The badge unlock seems like an unnecessary character creation step costume wise (I really like the unlocks we've seen for toys and pets though) but it's not an impossible one. There's my only 'hrm' feedback.

Otherwise everything I've seen is amazing (including the capes. I saw people planning character concepts in chat for them!). Fantastic work, thank you so much. The issues I've seen with the Sybil pieces are the exact reasons we were told they would never be ported to players and we always went 'but we'd be okay with that!' so I just want to say that yes, I meant it when I said I was okay with it. 

EDIT: I just got the Mongoose badge to test them out myself and they are GORGEOUS. But when you get the badge, it doesn't tell you that you've unlocked the capes. A message might be a good idea?

Edited by Chrono-Bot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

Sybil outfits

• can we have them as separate pieces?
  • we are in desperate need of skirts in Paragon (and we cant just go to Calvin Klein and fetch 25 of them)
  • the belt NEEDS to be changeable. Its just too much and theme wise doesnt go with everything

• Like 4

Those new patterns are fantastic. Whomever did those is probably a genius…

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Finland 1
  • Moose 1
  • Microphone 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

14 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

Extreme accessorizing!  Cinch it!

Edited by High_Beam
  • Haha 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)