Mandela Effect

Water

Take it easy on yourself folks. City of Heros has been around in one form or another for literally YEARS at this point.

And we old.

Yes, including you who read that last line. We old. Our memories are not what they once were. Live with it. 😛 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Take it easy on yourself folks. City of Heros has been around in one form or another for literally YEARS at this point.

And we old.

Yes, including you who read that last line. We old. Our memories are not what they once were. Live with it. 😛 

My memory is. I don't remember ever forgetting anything.

• Haha 5

I am 100% sure there used to be a badge on Live for getting on the top of the Blimp flying around in Atlas Park.

Ive been told Im wrong by everyone, but my brain insists on remembering it. 

Before you post or reply to anything online allways remember Wheaton´s Law!

2 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

And we old.

Speak for yourself sir mine is quite intact.

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:18 PM, Water said:

Anyone else got some good Mandela Effects, game related the better?

Sit right down and let Tone Loc tell you ALL about the Mandela Effect ...

• Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Paragon Dance Party entrance in Port Oak at the shack up near the sub where the 'Hidden Getaway' exploration badge is. The Monkey Fight Club logo is near the door, but I could swear that we used to be able to enter that door. 

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 4 weeks later

Hate to bring this back but I had one of these happen a couple days ago.  Sky Raider force fields, did they always not have Hold protections?  I swear they did but after running into them recently I noticed I was just holding them straight away.  While level would have been a factor (the mag protection was only 2.5) when I looked it up on CoD it didn't list Hold, only Stun and Immobilize.  I went back and confused one on another character and there was no hold protection for sure.  No Psi defense either incidentally.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

My own Mandela moment is this - am I remembering wrong, or did mobs once (in distant memory) aggro nearby mobs when they ran?

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

1 hour ago, sbloyd said:

My own Mandela moment is this - am I remembering wrong, or did mobs once (in distant memory) aggro nearby mobs when they ran?

Just when the mob had an agro field on them such as some of the Radiation powers.

1 hour ago, lemming said:

Just when the mob had an agro field on them such as some of the Radiation powers.

My first ever character was a Rad defender, and I quickly learned that when you suddenly notice that your debuff toggles are still running, but none of the nearby enemies are glowing, you're about to have a bad day.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

during live energy melee was my main for quite a while

I distinctly remember whirling hands to be a different animation than its current

however everyone tells me nope I'm wrong

but my brain will not believe them

image.png.263f913766a564892dfe0551c1b65c93.png

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

How do you trivialize the name of a great man without trying?

Invent a conspiracy theory to create doubts about what people remember about him, then spread it on social media.

Edited by Mopery
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

What, me worry?

On 2/16/2024 at 12:18 PM, Water said:

People insisting XP/inf while teamed used to be split based on damage dealt.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

false memories are a fascinating phenomenon. Even people who are highly educated can fall victim to them. Neil Degrasse Tyson, astrophysicist, claimed in a 2008 talk that in order “to distinguish we from they” — meaning to divide Judeo-Christian Americans from fundamentalist Muslims — George Bush uttered the words “Our God is the God who named the stars.”

However, “…In his post-9/11 speech, Mr. Bush actually said, “The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends,” and he said nothing about the stars. Mr. Bush had indeed once said something like what Dr. Tyson remembered; in 2003 Mr. Bush said, in tribute to the astronauts lost in the Columbia space shuttle explosion, that “the same creator who names the stars also knows the names of the seven souls we mourn today.” (source: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/opinion/why-our-memory-fails-us.html) So what happened is that, in Tyson’s mind, the two memories got blended together to create a new statement that was never uttered.

Oh, and predictably, when he was asked for the source of the quote he got defensive. Human failings are universal. Then throw in how ideas and memes can spread like a virus, and it’s really not surprising that masses of people can sometimes remember something entirely wrong. 

Edited by Zect
  • Haha 1

This is City of Heroes, it should be the Primal effect. A large population of Paragon does not remember growing up drinking Enriche. This is a real problem.

(Even in a world with multiple dimensions, false memories would still be a thing. How much harder would it be to argue with someone "No Ted, You did not come from a universe where the Pringles Man had a monocle. Ted, it's been mapped. There is no universe where he has a monocle. No, I don't know why Unai did that research either, apparently he just has that many heroes doing reconnaissance for him.")

• Haha 2

I thought there was a badge for Rikti Portals spawned by Comm Officers. Back on live my friend and I would always kill the portal first. Now I know, because I have been told that there never was such a badge. Boo. There should be one.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 2/16/2024 at 3:18 PM, Water said:

Hmm, happy to be wrong but that must be the first time I have personally experienced the Mandela Effect. 

Thinking that there was a General Chat on retail and that it was on here on HC from the start.

Yes. Both me and my Stepdad remember getting the [recall] inspiration early on in live. Basically an insp version of recall friend.  Paragonwiki and other sources claim it was never available to players—that it was a prototype feature that was removed from the game. However both of us remember these dropping on early retail, and I’ve met a few others who do too. I think they were quietly removed some time between issue 0 and issue 1, or it’s truly a mandela effect. Or perhaps they only dropped due to a glitch… The Recall insp icon is still in the game files, see below:

IMG_5239.png

honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing these come back.

Edited by Azari