What does S.T.A.R.T. stand for?

Start That Alt Righteously Twinked?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

"Here's some help for when you S.T.A.R.T. your journey in City of Heroes."

Isn't that they way acronyms work?

//Jack

Edited by Jack Power
  • Haha 1

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

11 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Well technically its the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty

But I visited S.T.A.R.T. and my arms are still the same size!

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Does it have a meaning at all?

S.T.A.R.T. means start.

My guess is that "P2W Vendor" could be sore spot for NCSoft.

It sure seems like less letters than H.E.A.D.S.T.A.R.T. - because when it comes down to it, that is really what it is.

I think we all know how much more powerful our low level characters are with the ex-P2W gear than they would be without it ...

....well not those of us that immediately power-level to 50 every character they play ....

john-cena-im-watching-you.gif

• Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

23 hours ago, StarkWhite said:

From what I understand, they have an answer for that internally, but they're not sharing it yet in case someone in the community comes up with a better backronym than the one they have in mind.

"Backronym"?

Since they provide opportunities for the win, I was going to suggest Always Come Out On Top, or just Come Out On Top, but some NPC vendors might take offense at being call A. C.O.O.T., especially the long-tenured ones.  "Ya know, newbie, if you really want your best start, go talk to the ol' C.O.O.T. vendor."

24 minutes ago, Techwright said:

"Backronym"?

While an acronym starts with a phrase (like "North Atlantic Treaty Organization") and condenses it into a word ("NATO"), a backronym is when you start with the word and then retroactively come up with a phrase to fit into it (Marvel Comics' "SHIELD" is a good example here).

• Thumbs Up 3

It stands for Someone Thinks Acronyms Require Translation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

28 minutes ago, StarkWhite said:

While an acronym starts with a phrase (like "North Atlantic Treaty Organization") and condenses it into a word ("NATO"), a backronym is when you start with the word and then retroactively come up with a phrase to fit into it (Marvel Comics' "SHIELD" is a good example here).

Ah, makes sense.  And I've seen a reference to this before, though not the word:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., episode 1:
Maria Hill: What does S.H.I.E.L.D. stand for, Agent Ward?
Grant Ward: Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.
Hill: And what does that mean to you?
Ward: It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out "shield."
  • Haha 1

For me it will always be: Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division.

• Thumbs Up 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

S.T.A.R.T. means start.

It sure seems like less letters than H.E.A.D.S.T.A.R.T. - because when it comes down to it, that is really what it is.

I think we all know how much more powerful our low level characters are with the ex-P2W gear than they would be without it ...

....well not those of us that immediately power-level to 50 every character they play ....

john-cena-im-watching-you.gif

Well Head Start always involves at least one other person

So I guess that makes sense - but if that was the case shouldn't they come when you call? (or vice versa)

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

My guess is that P2W Vendor could give new players the impression that you had to pay real money for stuff, scaring them away from interacting with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

In my head P2W was bought out by the START Corporation through a series of complicated mergers and acquisitions.

That being said, since they fit in with M.A.G.I and the other starter agencies now: Special Training and Applied Research Team

Support Tools (for) Alts Requiring Training

(slight bending of the -unwritten- rules there but I actually like that)

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

11 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

For me it will always be: Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division.

Me, too!

But that was back when Nick Fury used to hang out with Doctor Strange!

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 2/29/2024 at 9:17 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

Super Twats Actually Really Terrible

Oh, myyy.  😺

Change  the name, call it WRECK instead: Wholly Reliable Emergency Character Kandy