Needing some names...

So... I have a couple of characters I've been struggling to name.  I thought I'd see if I could get some suggestions from the gallery.

The first is a character based on Colossus of the X-Men.  The premise of his power is that he can emit and coat his body with a non-Newtonian fluid that becomes rigid on impact, acting like armour.  It also exists in his muscles and bones, making him very strong.  He's a Tanker with Invulnerability and Super Strength.  I made him Ukrainian, a former circus strongman before joining my mutant super-team.
I've tried every variation of steel and iron I can think of, every variation on the word or concept of armour.  I tried Dilatant, referring to the dilatant nature of the fluid, but it just isn't very satisfying as a name.  So... help?

The other is based on Cyclops of the X-Men.  The premise of the character is that his body draws energy from the environment around him (light, radiation, etc.) and uses it to create unstable particles.  Stored in the soft tissues of his body, they can only escape from his eyes.  When they come in contact with air, they draw energy from the air molecules, creating waste photons (red light) as they draw themselves through the air.  When the come in contact with a material too dense to draw energy from, they instead discharge all their stored energy against the target.  He's Canadian, on the run since his powers destroyed a city block.  Recruited into my mutant team, he's learning to control the power.

Being based on Cyclops, I really wanted him to use eye beams, but there's just not any power sets that provide that in a satisfactory way.  Radiation has X-Ray Beam, but it's ONE power, which just isn't enough.  I tried using the Psionic Blast set, but the look and sound just doesn't work.  So, I think I'm just going to make him a Blaster with Energy Blast and Martial Combat, and hope that someday they make alternate animations for eye blasts.
As for his name, the one I had wanted originally was Hadron, but that wasn't available.  Neither was any other particle in existence, and I tried them all.  I've tried coming up with some kind of reference to supercolliders, but nothing quite fits.  I tried variations on Shockwave and other kinds of waves, but nothing is available.  Nothing I've tried is available... so, help?

I've been trying name after name after name for about a week now, and can't get anything.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Well...for your Tanker;  Official colors of Ukraine are Blue and Gold in that order...Titanium is a very strong metal and light weight...Titan can play off of this so maybe Blue Titan which in Ukrainian (per google translate) would be Blakytnyy Tytan.  Or you could go with Blue Tytan. 

I share your pain with the ocular beam scarcity. Energy Mastery has an eye beam power which is just the red version of the x-ray beam. 

So...if Energy blaster...based on solar collection....and a good portion of Canada speaks French; maybe Capitaine Prisme (Captain Prism); or something like Solar Beam (Faisceau Solaire).  Or if feeling punny...maybe Maple Light if available. lol

Edited by Go0gleplex

Just use Jim.

'Cause you don't mess around with Jim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Ultimo said:

The first is a character based on Colossus of the X-Men.  The premise of his power is that he can emit and coat his body with a non-Newtonian fluid that becomes rigid on impact, acting like armour.  It also exists in his muscles and bones, making him very strong.  He's a Tanker with Invulnerability and Super Strength.  I made him Ukrainian, a former circus strongman before joining my mutant super-team.

Mighty Maxim

I'm on Excelsior.

Ya, I tried every variation of steel I could think of, plus variations of Titanium, Osmium, Molybdenum... I even tried Oobleck, but even that was unavailable.  I tried variatons on the word Anvil, as well as various words describing a forge.  I've tried literally hundreds of names, but it's just proving impossible to get anything that works in any kind of satisfying way.

3 hours ago, Ultimo said:

So... I have a couple of characters I've been struggling to name.  I thought I'd see if I could get some suggestions from the gallery.

I've tried every variation of steel and iron I can think of, every variation on the word or concept of armour.  I tried Dilatant, referring to the dilatant nature of the fluid, but it just isn't very satisfying as a name.  So... help?

The other is based on Cyclops of the X-Men.  The premise of the character is that his body draws energy from the environment around him (light, radiation, etc.) and uses it to create unstable particles.  Stored in the soft tissues of his body, they can only escape from his eyes.  When they come in contact with air, they draw energy from the air molecules, creating waste photons (red light) as they draw themselves through the air.  When the come in contact with a material too dense to draw energy from, they instead discharge all their stored energy against the target.  He's Canadian, on the run since his powers destroyed a city block.  Recruited into my mutant team, he's learning to control the power.

Being based on Cyclops, I really wanted him to use eye beams, but there's just not any power sets that provide that in a satisfactory way.  Radiation has X-Ray Beam, but it's ONE power, which just isn't enough.  I tried using the Psionic Blast set, but the look and sound just doesn't work.  So, I think I'm just going to make him a Blaster with Energy Blast and Martial Combat, and hope that someday they make alternate animations for eye blasts.
As for his name, the one I had wanted originally was Hadron, but that wasn't available.  Neither was any other particle in existence, and I tried them all.  I've tried coming up with some kind of reference to supercolliders, but nothing quite fits.  I tried variations on Shockwave and other kinds of waves, but nothing is available.  Nothing I've tried is available... so, help?

I've been trying name after name after name for about a week now, and can't get anything.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

rozshyrennya is the anglicized spelling of Dilatant in ukrainian.  I would look at other ukrainian words that match your concept and see if one fits.

sad news, they will never do alternate animations.  i wont get an all zombie MM, and Doms are off limits to me because they are rainbow smears across my dark creations.  long story short, alter your concept or be forever unsatisfied.  Make him a strange polka dot man / cyclops story hybris and use EnergyEnergy on a Blaster.  That would destroy a city block in an origin event....  on Live I had one named Zerg.  Erg is the unit of energy, as i am sure you know.  Z is just a cool sound to slap in front of it.  i had never heard (consciously) the word zerg, zerging, etc.  making up words is fun.  slam a few together.  just ask the germans.  then when they get too long take the first syllables of all the important words and use that as shorthand! a million ways to be creative.

Edited by Snarky

Tank Guy - 

Forged Iron

Forged Steel

Steelforge

Ironforge 

Hammered Iron

Hammered Steel 

Blaster Guy -

Worse than Wrong (with appologies to Feynman)

Mister Higgs 

Entangled Quantum 

Tachyon Torch  

Proton Proton 

Hydrogen Dawn  

Supersymetry 

5 hours ago, Ultimo said:

As for his name, the one I had wanted originally was Hadron, but that wasn't available.  Neither was any other particle in existence, and I tried them all.

Tell me you did not seriously try Z Boson or Xi Baryon.

More seriously, being based on comics, you are allowed to create your own particles and names for them. For real world physics, do not forget adjectival forms of names, like Fermionic, Baryonic, 

Well... I came up with Eyeflash.  I'm not sure about either of them... what do you guys think?

Ferroforce

Eyeflash

For Eyeflash, I just can't justify the blasts not coming from his eyes, so I went back to the Psionic Blast set.  I paired it with Mental Assault, so right now he's Psi/Psi...  I'll mix in Fighting and Leadership.

I like eyelash.  

Death ray is probably taken but you could fiddle with it to work. But I would go more on there personality for names. If the cyclops guy is a dnd fan something like a beholder (they have eye beams I think)  

For the steal guy you could have just taken his circus name like with nightcrawler.  What ever that might have been given his gimmick as the strong man 

Pumped Iron the onl man alive able to lift a tank 

Or Ultimate Muscle the world strongest man.

Well...I did some noodling for your Colossus character, and I came up with Horsebox. 

I get it - your first reaction is - "WTF does that have to do with Invuln/Superstrength?" 

So, I did a search for Ukrainian strongman, and there's a fellow who reputedly could carry around a horse, as opposed to him riding the horse. Well, what else carries horses? Horse trailers, and in some circles, another name for a horse trailer is horsebox. 

I don't suspect it would be a stretch for a former circus strongman to get the nickname. It's just a question of whether or not you want to forgo specific mention of how he got his powers, and just go with how the nickname stuck from the strongman days. 

And yeah, it's not terribly sexy, I get it. But, it's the only thing I have at the moment. 

• Haha 1

For your strongman -

My first thought was Newton's Folly - Making classical physics cry since 2019!

Realisticly, though, something like The Ferrofluid Titan? It has that "stage name" feel that a carnival worker might use.

Tank:

• Hardshell
  • Protective Coating
  • Shrinkwrap
  • Cellophane Smasher

Blaster (I would go Rad/Martial instead of Energy Martial but that's just me.

• The Laser Lurker
  • Peepshow
  • Flashbang Freddy
  • Wife's Death Stare

Good names for a Canadian

• 6 Pack of Molson
  • Glazed Timmy Hortons
  • Not as good at Hockey as a Minnesotan

The game engine allows 20 character names, all of these except the last one will fit, but as good as the last one is the game engine might make an exception.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

On 4/26/2024 at 9:16 PM, Ultimo said:

If you want it, I have Supervision on Excelsior.  Last logged in the character 288 days ago, so I could part with it if you want to go with the eyebeams theme.  As for the powers not really offering a lot in the way of eye blastering effects... maybe switch it  up a little.  The character draws ambient energy from the environment with his eyes... and can release it in a variety of ways (including eye beams if you want to go the radiation blast route).

On 4/26/2024 at 11:36 PM, Greycat said:

Just use Jim.

'Cause you don't mess around with Jim.

That’s “Boss” to you, mister.:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.