Needing some names...

On 4/26/2024 at 6:16 PM, Ultimo said:

The premise of his power is that he can emit and coat his body with a non-Newtonian fluid that becomes rigid on impact, acting like armour. 

It's going to go over the head of everyone but the real science geeks, but 'Oobleck'. Pick it up in your hand, it will ooze down around your fingers; step in a vat of it, and you'll sink. Hit a lump of it with a hammer, it will break. And if you have a big enough tub of it, you can run across the surface.

8 hours ago, srmalloy said:

It's going to go over the head of everyone but the real science geeks, but 'Oobleck'. Pick it up in your hand, it will ooze down around your fingers; step in a vat of it, and you'll sink. Hit a lump of it with a hammer, it will break. And if you have a big enough tub of it, you can run across the surface.

Yes, I tried that name, but it's taken.  I was a little surprised, actually.  It's the basis of the character's power, actually.  The fluid covers his skin and when struck, acts as armour.  Pieces flake off, and are replaced with more fluid.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:16 PM, Ultimo said:

The first is a character based on Colossus of the X-Men.  The premise of his power is that he can emit and coat his body with a non-Newtonian fluid that becomes rigid on impact, acting like armour.  It also exists in his muscles and bones, making him very strong.  He's a Tanker with Invulnerability and Super Strength.  I made him Ukrainian, a former circus strongman before joining my mutant super-team.

Ukrainian Golem

Golem of Ukraine

Ukrainian Talos

Ukrainian Titan

Hihant

Ukrainian Achilles

Most of those I would end up taking an "The" on in game once they reach the appropriate level

I think "Non-Newtonian Fluid Man" may be too many characters.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:16 PM, Ultimo said:

The other is based on Cyclops of the X-Men.  The premise of the character is that his body draws energy from the environment around him (light, radiation, etc.) and uses it to create unstable particles.  Stored in the soft tissues of his body, they can only escape from his eyes.  When they come in contact with air, they draw energy from the air molecules, creating waste photons (red light) as they draw themselves through the air.  When the come in contact with a material too dense to draw energy from, they instead discharge all their stored energy against the target.  He's Canadian, on the run since his powers destroyed a city block. 

Canadian One-Eye

Eyebeam

I-beam

Eyeblast

Canadian Eyeblast

Scott Winters

Canadian Summers

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:42 PM, Ultimo said:

FINALLY got one I think I'm ok with.  The strongman I've called "Ferroforce."  It's not bad.  Not ideal, but not bad.

Still working on the other though.

Ferroforce is awesome.  And it passes what I call the newspaper test.  :)

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:47 PM, Snarky said:

sad news, they will never do alternate animations. 

It’s too bad the Homecoming team won’t consider it because the OP’s concept is totally possible on Thunderspy. They changed Beam Rifle to Beam Blast and allowed for alternate animations for blasts coming out of hands or eyes. I’d love to see that change here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Player2 said:

That sounds cool, and I suspect it won't happen here just because they won't want to copy something that Thunderspy did.

And that is why we will likely never get tailfeathers here to go with the feathery wings, or the wasp tail?

Edited by Ravenplume

3 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Oh look, Exhibit #1 on why we need CharacterName@GlobalName...

No. 

We don't need to turn City of Heroes into Champions Online.

No thanks.

What, me worry?

Chat GPT is great at coming up with names, origin stories/bios, etc.  Feed in your criteria for naming and ask it to come up with a list of suitable names.  

For your cyclops character, can’t help with power selections, but your story of being an “unstable Canadian” opens up a HUGE amount of humorous names.  I’d have fun with that.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Oh look, Exhibit #1 on why we need CharacterName@GlobalName...

I've been saying this for quite some time.  I've never quite understood anyone's objection to it.

I should also say, many of the issues I have with naming characters is that they're ESTABLISHED for me.  Many of them were created back in the 70s and 80s when my brother and I made our own comics, so I have an attachment to their names.  Without their names, they're just not those characters anymore.  I expect others have similar reasons for wanting certain names.

Edited by Ultimo

4 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I've been saying this for quite some time.  I've never quite understood anyone's objection to it.

I should also say, many of the issues I have with naming characters is that they're ESTABLISHED for me.  Many of them were created back in the 70s and 80s when my brother and I made our own comics, so I have an attachment to their names.  Without their names, they're just not those characters anymore.  I expect others have similar reasons for wanting certain names.

Most likely.    Reminds me of back in the 80s at a convention playing Champions.   I tad a table of eight players, we had three people with the same character name and four different ones that had the same super group name. 😄  Turned that one into a multiverse collision story.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:32 PM, BZRKR said:

How about Captain Thixotropic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropy

Back in the '90s I wrote a superhero parody story where the hero fought a villain named The Thixotropic Man.  The villain was a jewel thief who would escape by slamming his body on the ground, liquifying and oozing out through a floor drain with the jewels.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Comrade Cobalt

Comrade Chrome or Comrade Chromium

(The above names also work if you reverse the word order)

Titanium Tovarisch

Edited by Omegawatt