Wow will we ever get our old chars back again?

Smoke Ring

On the Homecoming servers, we will not get our old characters back, unfortunately.

Some other servers out there offer character imports from the old Sentinel+ system that was popular near shutdown, others will provide level and gear boosts. On Homecoming, all you get to keep from the old days is the knowledge you accrued.

• Like 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Welcome back!  It's great, isn't it?

I wouldn't count on getting your original characters back.  That option was bandied about at the beginning of this whole resurgence of the game, and I believe it was decided against for a number of potential legal, and privacy issues that would unnecessarily increase the risk of losing our game again.  So, we pushed forward with new characters/accounts.  It's been a blast redoing all of that early level stuff, being totally broke again, and having to build up your fortune from scratch.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the journey this second time around, and I intend to keep enjoying it with each of the many characters I have created/re-created here!

What was no more, is REBORN!

I'm given to understand by people who'd have reason to know that even the private server whose leak started the whole thing no longer has access to those original character files. Any new invitees there have to start over from the beginning now, too. My suspicion is that the existence and availability  of that file could be a sticking point in any negotiations for the continued future of privately-run public servers--not a lawyer or anything, but I know Europe has some pretty stringent corporate privacy laws, and even if the file doesn't include any personally identifiable information its availability could still very well be legally actionable to the tune of millions of Euros.

While I would certainly hope we could regain access to those old toons, I'm not holding my breath. I wouldn't be surprised if the destruction of that file was a necessary precondition to allowing servers like Homecoming to exist going forward. And if that was the case, I'd be disappointed, but I'd gladly give up all those older characters if it meant I could make and keep newer characters going forward. I can make them better with what I know now, anyway. :)

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

With regards to not being able to get our old characters back. is that the reason why the names are taken? like I tried to recreate my character from the old days but the name was taken. They are there some where in the database as being used but we cannot get them due to us not having our old logins?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, no.

Really, a simple "/jranger" would have taken less time to type.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I cant believe I am running the streets of COH after all these years.... I had the second max stone troller on the server, and I wrote a all human guide for the squid. I played from beta for about 2 years.

Crazy being back in.

I felt the same way when I logged in for the first time.

Think of it this way: if we ever get access to the character database, someone will reveal everyone's secret ERP costumes, and nobody wants to see that.  :P

Why not?  I've been wearing mine to Rikti mothership raids.

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

I would love, LOVE, to have my old characters back somehow.  Especially with some of the time-limited badges I'd earned (like attending the Wedding).

Sadly, I don't expect it to ever happen.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Char back would be nice.

Getting all my original costumes back I'd be pretty happy about.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I would love, LOVE, to have my old characters back somehow.  Especially with some of the time-limited badges I'd earned (like attending the Wedding).

Sadly, I don't expect it to ever happen.

Same!  I was crazy for badges when they first introduced them, all I did for months was print locations and go get them.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, no.

Then what would be the medium answer?  :o ;D

Short answer: No.

Medium Answer: Hell no.

Long answer: What part of "hell no" did you not understand - the kerning, perhaps??

• Haha 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism