Talos Island Arena?

Blackbird71

So what happened to the Talos Island Arena?  There's just a construction site where it's supposed to be now.  I couldn't care less about PvP, but this means the only place to go blueside for the Duelist Day Job badge is in a lvl 40-50 zone.  That's a real pain for lower level characters in need of an End boost!

• Like 1

As an alternative, you can go Vigilante at Null the Gull in Pocket D using the Kings Row gate, then exit Pocket D in Port Oakes, where there's an Arena.    

• Thanks 1

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

In PI you can just run up the coast off shore a bit from the ferry or tunnel poetal and avoid all the mobs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

2 hours ago, Sothoth said:

In PI you can just run up the coast off shore a bit from the ferry or tunnel poetal and avoid all the mobs.

Until they get it in their head that sharks should attack...  🦈

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

36 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Until they get it in their head that sharks should attack...  🦈

That's seems like it would be colossally bad.  If they did, they'd have to remove the whole "Super Jump" power pool to ensure the game doesn't...

JUMP THE SHARK....

Oh boy....it's a good thing I am around to laugh at my own jokes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

3 hours ago, justicebeliever said:

That's seems like it would be colossally bad.  If they did, they'd have to remove the whole "Super Jump" power pool to ensure the game doesn't...

JUMP THE SHARK....

Oh boy....it's a good thing I am around to laugh at my own jokes...

/emote GROAN!

33 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

No idea what happened to the Talos arena.  seems odd that its gone.

This is what really has me curious.  According to Paragon Wiki, it should still be there, which makes me think it must be an i24 or i25 change.

If i24, then the devs must have had some future plan for the space (hence the construction site now in its place).  But that purpose will probably never be known, let alone come to fruition, so maybe we could get it put back?

If i25, I'd think the HC team would have said something about it, or there would be something in the patch notes, forum, etc. explaining the absence.

As it is, I can't find any reference to the change anywhere, and that is the most perplexing part of the whole thing.  It's just gone, without any explanation or justification for its absence.

10 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

This is what really has me curious.  According to Paragon Wiki, it should still be there, which makes me think it must be an i24 or i25 change.

If i24, then the devs must have had some future plan for the space (hence the construction site now in its place).  But that purpose will probably never be known, let alone come to fruition, so maybe we could get it put back?

If i25, I'd think the HC team would have said something about it, or there would be something in the patch notes, forum, etc. explaining the absence.

As it is, I can't find any reference to the change anywhere, and that is the most perplexing part of the whole thing.  It's just gone, without any explanation or justification for its absence.

There is a patch note for it in Issue 25:

After years of legal battles, the business at Sparky's Boardwalk won their case against the Paragon City Arena for blocking the beach access and removing the parking lots. The Talos Island location of the Arena has been forced to close.

The Peregrine Island Arena location is now the main location in Paragon City. Paragon City construction has been tasked with the construction of a new building in the area occupied by the Arena.

• Thanks 3

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

7 hours ago, Shadowsleuth said:

Does the area where the arena terminals are located in Pocket D give the Duelist Day Job?

If not then maybe the Devs can designate it for the Day Job.

It does not, but it should.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 11 months later
5 hours ago, Keovar said:

ParagonWiki doesn't mention the Talos arena being gone or the Echo: Galaxy one being closed.  The Fandom wiki is usually worse, and even VidiotMaps still shows the Duelist day job as available on Talos.

There's a new wiki, specifically for Homecoming, at https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page

But....  it also says there's an arena in Talos.  It's a work in progress.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:34 AM, Omega-202 said:

There's also Echo Galaxy City for Duelist.  You can get there from Oroboros.  

You can't enter the arena in Echo Galaxy, sadly, which means you can't get the badge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ironblade said:

There's a new wiki, specifically for Homecoming, at https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page

But....  it also says there's an arena in Talos.  It's a work in progress.

No it doesn't, that was updated and removed in May. 

Edit: Ah I see, maybe you were referring to the Duelist page? In which case I stand corrected! Have now updated the Duelist page. 

Edited by Aberrant
Removed Talos from Duelist page

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

Neither the arena nor the AE building in Galaxy are usable, which disappointed me when I went looking for a quiet place to work on my stories.  Yeah, I know that the main AE buildings have that quiet room, but being completely detoggled and absorbed in the moment, then running downstairs to test what you've done, is an occasion for low comedy. 

Then again that's basically what I do there.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

14 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

Neither the arena nor the AE building in Galaxy are usable, which disappointed me when I went looking for a quiet place to work on my stories.  Yeah, I know that the main AE buildings have that quiet room, but being completely detoggled and absorbed in the moment, then running downstairs to test what you've done, is an occasion for low comedy. 

Then again that's basically what I do there.

Guess that means you can't get the badge from the arena in Echo:Galaxy City, as it is closed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keovar said:

I've found the Kings Row location to be generally unpopulated, at least on Reunion.  I guess it being low level and not a central hub like Atlas leaves it overlooked.  KR is also part of the 'gritty city' zones with less light and more industry, and those seem less popular.  

I use Brickstown for the same reasons.  Brickstown AE is also convenient to the base dropoff. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

By the way, did you know that you can't get into the Area building in Echo: Galaxy City? 😏

Heck, if they don't want to put the one back in Talos it'd be nice if they'd just change it so you could enter the Echo galaxy one?

On 8/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, Trickshooter said:

There is a patch note for it in Issue 25:

After years of legal battles, the business at Sparky's Boardwalk won their case against the Paragon City Arena for blocking the beach access and removing the parking lots. The Talos Island location of the Arena has been forced to close.

The Peregrine Island Arena location is now the main location in Paragon City. Paragon City construction has been tasked with the construction of a new building in the area occupied by the Arena.

But why? It was nice to have a place to duel people at mid lvl 20s -30s on hero side. I guess we have learned to get by, plus, there is the arena in Pocket D that anyone can access. But I just don't see any true gameplay reasoning behind the change. Is this an inside joke? Are they gonna replace it with a cool building? Explain yourselves, devs.

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

5 hours ago, Aberrant said:

No it doesn't, that was updated and removed in May. 

Edit: Ah I see, maybe you were referring to the Duelist page? In which case I stand corrected! Have now updated the Duelist page. 

Cool.  I had an account to update ParagonWiki back in the day but have not set up an account to fix the HC Wiki when I see errors.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.