Got complaints about being a mastermind in a group

plainguy

Was on my demon traps (Getting him to 50 for the petless build) also on the team was thug mastermind.

Cave mission came up, one player complained overall just being on the team with masterminds basically tolerating it but cave mission was the last straw. 

He left.

Another member on the team ( the Tank ) complained as well. 

I expressed no hard feelings and left the team because I knew the team was gonna fall apart if stuff went bad in the cave. 

And I just really didn't want to be on a team where I really wasn't wanted. 

I took a screen shot to show the chat, but of course I found out later the screen shot via print screen strips chat window out of the picture.

Jumped on the MSR running. Got 3 levels and 3000 V merits.

Maybe the Thug Mastermind will read this and verify the incident.

Heh... With Demons I'm honestly surprised you weren't getting grumped at in office maps, too. (I was running as part of a trio with mine awhile back and got some ribbing from one of the other two about the boys blocking doorways. Which they routinely will given half a chance. XP) About all you can do with large pets like that (Demons and Bots, people are looking at you-) is try to be considerate and move them if they seem to be blocking entries and tunnels. That may mean pulling them back from fights and keeping them on Passive for a minute or two, even though that makes you vulnerable and limits your use to the team. Playing cut-rate Defender is better than getting kicked because the old devs decided to make our minions as aggressively obnoxious as they could.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

15 minutes ago, Apparition said:

To be fair, I have a level 50 Mastermind and I wouldn't tolerate being teamed with a petless MM either.

First, You misread the comment in the quotes.

I did have pets, I think in this instance it would actually have been better if I didn't have pets. 

Further I am 100 percent positive you or anyone else ( Including Myself ) have no clue who you are teaming up with at level 50, what they have speced, or how poor their builds are or that they might not even be level 50. EG lvl 35 on an ITF team.

I am also 100 percent positive that you do not need 8 people on a team to do any content that can have a max team of 8. 

So any Taskforce, Incarnate teams like ITF, Tin Mage.. ETC.. can be done with 6 and even less if you have the right people and the right specs.

So if we agree on my comment about not needing 8 people are you really gonna complain and get butt hurt become someone is running around petless or whatever Archtype and whatever they are doing, but have some value to the team beyond DPS ? 

E.G.  A some blaster takes up all the powers in the Medicine pool 

What if this petless mastermind was providing you with 600% of regeneration to the whole team, 20 points to ALL defenses to the whole team,  Status protection to the whole team, -30 all defenses to enemies,  -1000% regeneration to enemies.  

Because then your statement and stance this isn't about petless mastermind its more about any build that you don't think conforms to your play style or meet your requirements as properly speced for that archtype. 

What if the petless mastermind could take down a Pylon ? Is that the seal of approval ?

Trust me I get what your saying. 

But there are so many variables you are NOT considering or can defend that your response is just off the mark. 

If you can tell me you know every build of every player that is on your team and league every time you play and approve of all their builds and can  exercise some control over them and their ability to be on the team, then you got me.

But the simple reality is you don't, you really don't look. You really don't care as long as you can complete whatever it is your doing. You really don't care that the blaster on your team with the whole medicine pool died a million times and ressed you the 2 times you did.  Because your team was still able to complete that speed run ITF. 

If someone says Speed ITF and I can't do it with my build then I don't join.  But if they are looking for a last player for 10 minutes I will PM that player and make my statement and let him choose to give me that last spot. 

Which by your statement you could never do a speed ITF on your mastermind because you would be useless. Or anything where pets are an issue.. EG TPN. Or just about ANY map where pets run around and pull aggro. 

And I don't want to make this into some big BS debate. I just think the response was a bit short sighted.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Ok?

There were some comments where a player expressed a bit of disbelief about mastermind pet issues on team or disgruntle players related to MM. 

This is nothing new. 

Just discussing the douchebaggery that doesn't change in any MMO.

And how some times leaving you end up with something better.  

55 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

I get complaints about MM pets every so often in caves.   And I keep my pets on a tight rope.   I do my best to keep them out of peoples way.   But you can't make everyone happy.

Being an old time player I either go in last in the door or first and move out of the way ASAP. 

Demons yelling is a pain as well. That doesn't help much either. It drives me crazy as well at times.

Everyone gets a little annoyed with pets in general from time to time, be it MMs, Controllers, Spiders or whatever. I get annoyed by my own pets on my controllers, so it's pretty normal. It's how you deal with it that's telling; and I think complaining excessively about it other than a simple "lol get outta my doorway beelzebozo" is too much.

Like autoheals can be annoying right, especially in big raids. You can try to ignore it, lower particle effects, turn sound off, but it's still kind of there.  Being annoyed is fine and dandy, however telling everyone that showed up for the raid that you can and will report them to get them banned for autoheals is not the way to go. Especially if you're the person still looking for a Hami team at the time, as occurred a few nights back.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, plainguy said:

Demons yelling is a pain as well. That doesn't help much either. It drives me crazy as well at times.

One tip I read a long time ago back on live forums that can help cut down on that is to set up a macro to put them into an emote stance whenever you are not fighting, something like holdtorch or atease.  That stops their yelling which they do when they are idle.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, subbacultchas said:

But I am troubled by your petless MM, aint gonna lie. I had a friend who almost made a petless controller and it made me cry.

LOL

1 minute ago, Riverdusk said:

One tip I read a long time ago back on live forums that can help cut down on that is to set up a macro to put them into an emote stance whenever you are not fighting, something like holdtorch or atease.  That stops their yelling which they do when they are idle.

Gonna get that done ASAP 

Thank you !!

In caves everyone blocks everyone.  If your pets are having problems moving it's probably because someone is standing in the doorway blocking them.  It's just the nature of the map. 

You ran into some Jack asses.  It happens occasionly but the vast majority are perfectly fine with masterminds. You should also probably get used to it because you're gonna get a lot more complaints about being a petallous mastermind end game than you are about being a demon's user in a cave

• Like 1

I ran a Citadel (CAVES!!!) and as usual paid zero attention to whom I recruited as long as they were willing. We ended up with FOUR MMs! IN TINY CAVES!

It was glorious and we laughed all the way through it 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I play a demon mastermind with empathy and sometimes in a busy mission I spend so much time healing and buffing I don't have time to keep summoning my pets as they die. In certain instances I become an empath rather than a mm as it's more important to keep the team squishies alive. As for autoheal I find the noise incredibly annoying but it's too useful not to use.

30 minutes ago, Queen Nefertiti said:

I play a demon mastermind with empathy and sometimes in a busy mission I spend so much time healing and buffing I don't have time to keep summoning my pets as they die. In certain instances I become an empath rather than a mm as it's more important to keep the team squishies alive. As for autoheal I find the noise incredibly annoying but it's too useful not to use.

You ought to have tried a demon thermal then. Still gets healing for pets and team, butthe res shields marry very well with res aura thatthe pets have, plus all the AV kiiling and team buffing tools thermal has.

I honestly think this may have been more due to cave map than MM’s.  I’ve said before and will again, if I could have just ONE quality of life improvement in this game, just one and only one, I’d take the ability to remove cave maps entirely (or at least the blue/purple floor/wall ones) or better the ability to “choose” your map tile set when choosing a mission.  Caves pre-dated MM creation, and I don’t think the developers of MM’s ever really understood what a royal PITA caves were in general, but in a cave setting (any Close Quarters map really, but caves especially) that many henchman you can’t pass through are just a serious hindrance to enjoyment.  Even for ME and I’m playing the damn MM!

One of the many reasons I skip content are caves.  There are other reasons, but that’s always been the biggest.  Hate them with a passion.  Can understand why other players don’t like MM’s on cave maps and it’s likely more to do with the map than the archetype.  

• Like 1

Many people have already pointed it out but caves every one blocks everyone and if your pets are blocking someone it is because someone is blocking them. The best thing you can do is just let some people move ahead of you if you know they run through and try to make sure your pets follow you. I have gotten minor complaints but they were mostly joking I've never had someone complain about me being a master mind though I'm sure those people exist. They seem to be quite a minority though so I wouldn't let them get to you

On 8/9/2019 at 1:15 PM, plainguy said:

Further I am 100 percent positive you or anyone else ( Including Myself ) have no clue who you are teaming up with at level 50, what they have speced, or how poor their builds are or that they might not even be level 50. EG lvl 35 on an ITF team.

I am also 100 percent positive that you do not need 8 people on a team to do any content that can have a max team of 8. 

So any Taskforce, Incarnate teams like ITF, Tin Mage.. ETC.. can be done with 6 and even less if you have the right people and the right specs.

So if we agree on my comment about not needing 8 people are you really gonna complain and get butt hurt become someone is running around petless or whatever Archtype and whatever they are doing, but have some value to the team beyond DPS ? 

I echo this sentiment, except I go even further. I don't care if you contribute anything at all so long as you are playing with the team. I am happy have have a level 5 or 6 sidekicked up to 50 to play the top level content. Its all about the chat, teamwork, and general fun for me. I actually would actively avoid teams built for optimum whatever with a bunch of players keen on mixmaxing and doing something in record time etc. But maybe that's just me 🙂 "Bad" players on pick up groups can actual add challenge to the game that I often enjoy. And new players are the very best thing ever, seeing them see stuff for the first time and living vicariously through them.

But all that said.... a mastermind on the team in a small cave with all pets out and I can't see anything or move anywhere... I'm probably not going to want to stick around.

Edited by Gentoo
  • Like 2