Costume Request Thread!

QueenBethari

On 12/11/2022 at 10:02 PM, VeiledOwl said:

The editor couldn't load the jacket's settings, so its inner colors are wrong in the costume files I've posted. That's why I'm listing the changes I made so they can be applied manually if desired. I didn't alter much - it's less Terminator and more 'your evil robot doppelganger didn't have time to put on their fake skin before you busted down the door to their hideout'.

Glare1.png.fd4a6f1542146e4382f61f5595a97e9b.pngGlare2.png.7c9023c9e1cdd500a362b04b42965976.png

Head > Face > Skull Metal > Skull Metal (white or light grey for both colors). Keeping the scarred face works just as well if you don't want her to go full robot.

Detail 2 > None (or keeping Rebreather 6)

Chest > Clockwork

Belt > Labeaux (similar to Jewel, but accentuates clockwork-ness)

Legs > Clockwork

Glare3.png.13bd82d288df33fe6eed734feae27a8d.png

Glare4.png.e14944c2a6a478955cb06fb4b64a5abe.pngGlare6.png.6611ed2dc7b7549271db18743bcd6323.png

Head > Helmets > Praetoria Police (primary color white or light grey)

Other ideas I didn't implement:

Changing pieces of the shoulders/gloves/boots to either bulkier or skeletal mechanical-looking options. Keeping asymmetry would probably work. A bulky shoulder/glove combo overbalanced on one side for a arm cannon look, maybe?

Some form of sunglasses for the Schwarzenegger look

A palette swap for the evil version

Glare terminator.costume 8 kB · 4 downloads Glare terminator1.costume 8.04 kB · 2 downloads

yessssss full evil terminator and a casual one from the previous post, you guys are all f*cking fantastic and I appreciate your input

• 3 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

Hello costume creators! I am attempting to craft a sort of Swat Team Knight, something that looks like modern police gear, but with a sort of fantasy/medieval knight touch. If anyone has any interest, i'd love some brainstorming or ideas!

18 hours ago, Thayn said:

Hello costume creators! I am attempting to craft a sort of Swat Team Knight, something that looks like modern police gear, but with a sort of fantasy/medieval knight touch. If anyone has any interest, i'd love some brainstorming or ideas!

The first costume is based off in-game PPD SWAT; it's mostly a mixture of Equalizer and Officer with a bit of Praetorian PD since the bulletproof vest is unavailable in the creator. The second outfit's my attempt to make it a medieval mix.

3330337_Swatbase.png.b741c09659de63dc1f4867dcd7bcfea5.png807489452_Swatknight.png.ec7e7e412324a1bdc255e0b4adc7afad.png

Swat Knight1.costumeSwat Knight2.costume

• Thanks 1

I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with a good character design for a familiar trope in comics. I’m trying to create an alien overlord similar to Starro or  a hive mind like the Sequids in Invincible which control others and wants nothing more than to take over a planet.

My only design limitations is that I prefer they’re male (or huge). I’m trying to evoke a squid/cephalopod, but I’m not dead-set on that. I already have a queen bee character with a similar concept (except she’s a human mutant) and I would like to avoid bees in the design or recognizably terrestrial insects (trying to avoid ants, too). Alien insects should be fine though. Do you creative people have any suggestions? Thinking of making them a Mind Control/X Dom but again not married to that either as long as they appear somewhat alien in nature as that’s what their origin should reflect (natural/science/mut/tech). 

Edited by Azygos

15 minutes ago, Azygos said:

I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with a good character design for a familiar trope in comics. I’m trying to create an alien overlord similar to Starro or  a hive mind like the Sequids in Invincible which control others and wants nothing more than to take over a planet.

My only design limitations is that I prefer they’re male (or huge). I’m trying to evoke a squid/cephalopod, but I’m not dead-set on that. I already have a queen bee character with a similar concept (except she’s a human mutant) and I would like to avoid bees in the design or recognizably terrestrial insects (trying to avoid ants, too). Alien insects should be fine though. Do you creative people have any suggestions? Thinking of making them a Mind Control/X Dom but again not married to that either as long as they appear somewhat alien in nature as that’s what their origin should reflect (natural/science/mut/tech). 

maybe too obvious..

http://www.cityofheroes.ca/global/includes/images/Issues/issue-3/screenshots/thumbs/kheldian_shapeshifter.jpgspacer.png

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I never considered using the squid kheldian/warshade before. I guess I was interested in making a distinct entity with a separate lore. Appreciate the suggestion though and I might go through the AT and see if it could work. 

Edited by Azygos

1 hour ago, Azygos said:

My only design limitations is that I prefer they’re male (or huge). I’m trying to evoke a squid/cephalopod, but I’m not dead-set on that. I already have a queen bee character with a similar concept (except she’s a human mutant) and I would like to avoid bees in the design or recognizably terrestrial insects (trying to avoid ants, too). Alien insects should be fine though. Do you creative people have any suggestions?

Here's my take along with a list of what parts I found cephalopod-y:

Full Helmet > Elongated Skull (Squid-shaped head)

Chest & Legs > Tights Pattern > Malaise (Cephalopods color-shifting abilities. Also a nod towards psychedelic/hypnotism. Blend pattern is also useful on hands/feet when paired with Malaise in this regard)

Chest Detail > Symbols > Eldritch

Back Detail > Wings > Celestial Wings - Always Open (Looks sort of like reaching tentacles when in motion)

The glowing blue is mostly due to me listening to Darkest Dungeon's Color of Madness soundtrack while working on it, but I felt it fit. The costume could still use some work to look more overlord-y, but I ran out of inspiration so it's more of a base layer.

CephalopodH.png.3e2205422052dc93cfa4fce93adb4491.png

CephalopodM.png.e2a44c5c7cd0caccfa9f73a7ed144e79.png

746527803_Cephalopodhead.png.d364b38e948771ed9456bba6ab95e525.pngCephalopod1.costumeCephalopod1-M.costume

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, VeiledOwl said:

Here's my take along with a list of what parts I found cephalopod-y:

Full Helmet > Elongated Skull (Squid-shaped head)

Chest & Legs > Tights Pattern > Malaise (Cephalopods color-shifting abilities. Also a nod towards psychedelic/hypnotism. Blend pattern is also useful on hands/feet when paired with Malaise in this regard)

Chest Detail > Symbols > Eldritch

Back Detail > Wings > Celestial Wings - Always Open (Looks sort of like reaching tentacles when in motion)

The glowing blue is mostly due to me listening to Darkest Dungeon's Color of Madness soundtrack while working on it, but I felt it fit. The costume could still use some work to look more overlord-y, but I ran out of inspiration so it's more of a base layer.

CephalopodH.png.3e2205422052dc93cfa4fce93adb4491.png

CephalopodM.png.e2a44c5c7cd0caccfa9f73a7ed144e79.png

746527803_Cephalopodhead.png.d364b38e948771ed9456bba6ab95e525.png Cephalopod1.costume 6.63 kB · 0 downloads Cephalopod1-M.costume 6.61 kB · 0 downloads

Wow, very nice pieces and concept. Thank you! I think if I fiddle around with the shoulder/gloves this is a solid look. 

11 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Someone in my supergroup suggested after I posted a pic of my characters that we needed male thigh high boots. After the requisite Zardoz link, I did a quickie update to the pic and really, it would not be a horrible look:

There are a lot of sex-specific pieces that would look nice w/o any clipping issues, if ported across to the other body types.  For instance, I'd like the barbarian belt shared between male/huge & female, (they are called the same but look quite different).  I can understand certain chest pieces/details not being so easy, but the various belts, boots, and shoulder options should be much easier...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coming here yet again.

Got a new villain I'm having fun with. A Tanker, natural origin, Inv/DB. His backstory is that he was a powerful warlord from another dimension who couldn't be defeated, but was instead banished from his home dimension to primal earth. Now he's here with us, robbed of his empire and his resources, but still with his power, trying to rebuild a new empire in our dimension.

I've got a good general costume going (gee, I wonder what he was inspired by?) but I'm at a loss for alternate costume ideas. I'm thinking of a a villainous, but regal and powerful kind of look. A look that says "I'm the lord of darkness, bow before me, peasant!"

Just so you know kind of what I'm going for, here's his current costume. Any ideas or inspiration would be much appreciated!

Spoiler

Vraxxes3.png.0532df81924b980928648c14d66b2dc6.pngvraxxes4.png.7429cd8c6c1cead967369311201b02fb.pngvraxxes5.png.5b22599ac5929b36ddf393c244f6791c.pngvraxxes6.png.804cc43e694000741dfeac5835ac11cc.png

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

I usually muddle through this myself, but I'm enthusiastic about this character and want everything to click now, not in a few months.

The concept is a feral woman with dissociative identity disorder who manifests her other personalities as members of her pack.  Think Split mixed with Unleashed, and super powers thrown in (Ill/Savage dominator).

I already have the name, [The] Pack (can't believe that was available on Everlasting...), and a rough costume that I've been tweaking for the last week.

pack.thumb.png.cc594bd23eee5dce984982d428054324.png

This is what I've achieved so far.  Zombie top, Plant legs and boots, everything colored to make her look dirty and clothed in old, blood-soaked rags (i need to make the cloth textures browner, i know).  Vampire face for the little blood dribbles.  Collar and chain, monstrous hands for the pointy fingers (long nails).

I'm aiming for feral, but not animalistic.  It doesn't feel like it's quite there yet.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

I'm aiming for feral, but not animalistic.

Are you locked-in on any particular aspects of the pic you posted?   Is more clothing out of the question?  Are the veins and stuff supposed to depict injuries/scars, or just general grime?  I'll take a stab at it when I get home later...

2 hours ago, biostem said:

Are you locked-in on any particular aspects of the pic you posted?

I'm kind of attached to the Zombie top.  It feels right for the character, which is somewhat important to me when it's a piece I haven't used before.  Bare feet are the only thing that works for the boots, too.

Is more clothing out of the question?

Not necessarily, but I already tried all of the jackets, robes, shirts, boleros and skirts, and they all seemed more civilized than I what I was trying to achieve.

Are the veins and stuff supposed to depict injuries/scars, or just general grime?

Just grime.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I've been struggling with this character's costume for too long.  The character is basically an insane genie from outer space, and the nominal leader of a trio of insane space genies.  I'm also struggling with powersets, but that's for another thread in the Archetypes forum.

I want her to look sinister (hence the oh-so-edgy black trim), with a main color that's vaguely reminiscent of fire (hence the wan yellow color).  Plus, she needs a mask that covers her lower face.  The character will be a Fire tank of some description - just not sure whether I'll go for Fiere Aura or Fiery Melee.  Definitely won't be both.

Specific points of frustration - I'm not fond of the cow-catcher mask or the color scheme.  I'm not typically a fan of bright colors, but maybe this character needs some Zazz and I just don't realize it.  You know, Zing, Zork, Kapowza.

Anyway, here's a current pic and the costume file, and my thanks in advance.

SpaceGenieBlech.png.3bf20aeee17a03317ff3299f16b63be8.png

SpaceGenieBlech.costume

2 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Specific points of frustration - I'm not fond of the cow-catcher mask or the color scheme.  I'm not typically a fan of bright colors, but maybe this character needs some Zazz and I just don't realize it. 

\

I think you're right (or... right about being wrong?). Ultimately, "insane space genie" is not a concept that demands subtlety. So here's what I came up with.

I leaned a little harder into "genie" than "space." Red because it suggests fire but is also associated with danger, blood, etc. -- hopefully that helps communicate "sinister." I also tried to get that across with things like the inhuman skin color, pointed ears, and face with strange markings and glowing eyes.

The Reaper mask helps make it look a little less Mortal Kombat-y while also being loose cloth, which, again, I think helps with the "genie" look. That's also the reason for the gold wristbands -- Disney put some similar bands on the Genie in Aladdin, and while we're by no means beholden to that specific depiction of genies, stuff like that (and to a lesser extent, the bare midriff) acts as a convenient shorthand, telling a viewer "genie" without actually coming right out and announcing it. It's like putting glasses on a character to indicate to the audience that they're smart.

Circle of Thorns shoulders hopefully further the "fire" theme, producing a similar effect to the robe in the original design. I changed the hair to Hard Candy because it covers up the "seams" between the mask, jacket and top well.

The costume file has a Bio Plasma aura on the eyes, but I turned it off for the screenshots. I think it makes her look more dangerous and powerful, and the "lines" of that aura in particular flow really well the the pointed ears.

Personally I feel like this looks a little boring in the editor, but with fire a lot of the heavy lifting as far as making the design visually interesting is going to come from the powers, whichever way you decide to go. So in this case I think that's okay. It will look more exciting in action.

spacegenie2.png

spacegenie.png

spacegenie.costume

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

9 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

I want her to look sinister

image.png.e35b6c8fd01ab773f6614fc9711e5752.png  image.png.5dc0cdf2613c66b69219a1102e18955c.png00o00.costume

snakes for hair can look a bit magical and insane image.png.ae126a0bba7e9186f22e681bb1806281.png

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum