On 9/5/2020 at 5:57 PM, Squeakieclean said:

946624708_10HungeringEvolution.png.a54aa48cac66f99f18a75705d49acfb2.png - Hungering Evolution: Click Toggle, Bio Weapon Draining Mode.

By activating this power you cause your Bio Weapons to spontaneously mutate, causing them to draw excessively from your bodily integrity. You are continuously losing your own Hit Points, but your weaponry will strike with more strength the lower your Hit Points are. This power can be dangerous to use, especially as it only really adds more damage when you have lost at least a third of your Hit Points.

As much as I was a sucker for the old Defiance, I do find the concept problematic.  It encourages really dangerous gameplay and can be unpleasant to team with.  Healers end up feeling conflicted about whether to even heal dying teammates because of possibly messing up what they're trying to do.

I could see coming at the idea from a different direction though.  What if the toggle drained health from you to increase damage.  The amount drained is higher if your HP is higher, and also increases your damage output well.  As your HP drops, it drains less from your body, but the damage boost also fades.  Another possibility could be to incorporate a stack-based damage buff each time something attacks you, working like a mini-Fury resource.  That way HP doesn't necessarily have to be low for the toggle to be worth turning on.  And healers won't be yelled at for healing you, lol.

47 minutes ago, AgentForest said:

Not that any of your idea is bad, because it's not, but personally, I always imagined any attempts at a "Pain" damage set to include illusory damage.  Like, give all the powers a higher base damage scaling, but have them heal off a portion of it a few seconds later.  Like Spectral Wounds and Phantom Army, but baked into an entire blast set.  That way you hit like a truck, but have to finish things off fast or you'll have lower damage output than other blast sets.  Higher damage if you're efficient about focusing down targets.

That could certainly be an interesting mechanic for the Pain powersets, especially since theres a lot of thematic overlap with the powers The Awakened have and Illusion Control's aesthetic.

• Like 1

I was toying with an idea for a power set that just plays a little differently than most in its category, while doing the same job.  Like Forcefields and Empathy.  Both protect teammates, but in different ways.  So I tried to think of a way to do that for a tank build.  Moves probably need rearranged to different tiers, but it wouldn't be hard to animate, as most of the moves would use short Build Up and Aim style animations.  Or the animations for activating toggles.

Adrenaline:

1. Deadened Nerves: Passive Self +Max HP, +Resist (all)  |  Pretty basic.  Permanent increase to max HP and damage resistance.
  2. Spacial Awareness: Passive Self +Defense (melee, range, AoE)  |  Permanent increase to positional defenses.
  3. Determination: Click Self +Resist (all)  |  You dramatically increase your damage resistance for 30 seconds or so, gradually fading over time.  Higher resistances granted than a typical toggle armor, but for a duration, with diminishing effect.
  4. Just A Scratch: Click Self Heal Over Time  |  You gain a powerful heal-over-time effect that gradually diminishes over 10 seconds.  Stronger overall heal than Reconstruction, but not in a single lump-sum.
  5. Shrug It Off: Toggle Self +Mez Protection, +Special  |  The mez protection of this set is the only thing that comes as a toggle, but it provides a unique "damage staggering" mechanic as well.  Incoming damage is lowered by 25% (unenhanceable), but most of that damage you ignored (20%) is taken over time for the next 10 seconds.  Damage is only slightly reduced in the long-run, but it allows time to deal with it.  The numbers here could be tweaked.  If this is too hard to program, the easiest way would be to just do the opposite of Spectral Wounds.  Heal for a portion of damage received immediately, but then apply a DoT effect based on how strong the heal was.
  6. Bob and Weave: Click Self +Defense (melee, range, AoE)  |  Like Determination, you click to activate a powerful defense buff that fades over 30 seconds.
  7. Just Breathe: Passive Self +Regen, +Recovery, +Recharge  |  Not a huge recharge bonus, but it's meant to help the set scale into the late-game.
  8. Daunting: Click PBAoE Foe -Damage (all), Fear, -ToHit, Taunt  |  Your presence and unwillingness to fall in combat intimidates your enemies, causing those around you to suffer a decrease in damage and chance to hit, with a chance of applying fear every second.  The strength of the debuffs fade over 30 seconds as enemies overcome their initial fear and get lost in the flow of combat again.
  9. No Time For Pain: Passive Self +Absorb over time, +Special  |  You gain a weak damage absorption barrier every few seconds, up to a max amount (like some Sentinel armor sets have).  Selecting this power also grants all of your click abilities for this power set to also create a small chunk of damage absorption when activated.  This effect isn't enormous (10% enhanced to 20% of your HP) but they stack, and they don't fade over time.  They just end when the click buff's 30 seconds are up, or when they've taken enough damage.

@AgentForest unfortunately I'm not too sure that your suggestion stays true to the 'recycling' theme of the thread, since these powers are completely new and don't seem to have any pre-existing assets that could be used as a reference to work from. 

I'm not much of a numbers guy, I tend to focus more on moving different powers around in order to assemble something new from them, and any 'new' powers tend to be based off existing ones. So sadly, I don't think I could be of much help here! 😅

Edited by Tyrannical

On 10/12/2020 at 9:49 AM, AgentForest said:

As much as I was a sucker for the old Defiance, I do find the concept problematic.  It encourages really dangerous gameplay and can be unpleasant to team with.  Healers end up feeling conflicted about whether to even heal dying teammates because of possibly messing up what they're trying to do.

I could see coming at the idea from a different direction though.  What if the toggle drained health from you to increase damage.  The amount drained is higher if your HP is higher, and also increases your damage output well.  As your HP drops, it drains less from your body, but the damage boost also fades.  Another possibility could be to incorporate a stack-based damage buff each time something attacks you, working like a mini-Fury resource.  That way HP doesn't necessarily have to be low for the toggle to be worth turning on.  And healers won't be yelled at for healing you, lol.

To be fair I was operating mostly off of Dark Armour's Oppressive Gloom, which exists and works with a similar mechanic. It's something you can slot for or adjust to, especially with a self-heal of your own.

And considering I was thinking of having Bio Weapons be a good tie-in to Bio Armour, they have their own absorb shield ability in Ablative Carapace and in that delightful tentacle schlurp that is DNA Siphon. And can't forget Inexhaustible.

That said, your idea has merit for exactly your reasons outlined. Hmm. Ponder ponder ponder.

I should get in touch with the person that made the Synergist. I kinda want to see if I could at the least make a singular powerset with mostly just recycling, really.

Edited by Squeakieclean

I actually forgot to do this one for the longest time, I even mentioned it in my original post and I just spaced on it completely 😅

This is another Manipulation powerset, loosely based off Martial Combat, but isn't a complete copy at least!

Street Combat

Your ability to fight dirty allows you to deliver crushing blows and devastating strikes, while also using your streetwise savvy to disable your foes and catch them unaware.

MartialManipulation KiPush.png - Shove: A new power that is functionally identical to Power Thrust, even using the same animation, but with a Street justice FX.

Brawling HeavyBlow.png - Heavy Blow: A power taken from Street Justice, works as a good starter melee power.

Brawling CombatReadiness.png - Build Up: Standard build up power.

Brawling ThroatStrike.png - Rib Cracker: Another Street Justice power, works as a nice high damage melee attack.

WidowTeamwork MaskPresence.png - Skulk: A power with identical functionality to Field operative from Devices, concealing the player and granting regen and recovery

Brawling SpinningStrike.png - Spinning Strike: A good AoE melee power taken from Street Justice, though lacking the combo mechanic.

MentalControl Scare.png - Menace: A power similar to Scare, threatening a target and causing fear, using the 'threaten' NPC emote.

MartialManipulations ThrowSand.png - Throw Sand: Taken from Martial Combat, I figured the power would work nicely here too.

Brawling LowKick.png - Shin Breaker: A good melee power from Street Justice that works nicely as the T9.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later

Going through some of the 'Pain' stuff I did, I figured there miiiight just be enough material to put together a working Control powerset. So once again I'm using The Awakened NPC group as base to work from, while adding in stuff from other fitting sources too.

I know, I know, we already have Mind Control (and Illusion Control) that fits into that 'psionic control' role, but its always good to have variety! 

Not too sure what to call this one, I'm leaning towards 'Pain Control' to make it more consistent with the other powersets, but 'Psionic Control' is also on the table.

Pain Control

You have the power to project painful waves of psionic energy, causing your foes to writhe in agony or be subject to battering telekinetic force.

Awakened Subdue.png Subdual: A power a lot of The Awakened possess, as well as being available in other psionic powersets. Ideal for the T1 immobilize power. 

Awakened TelekineticLift.png - Telekinetic Lift: Another power from The Awakened, lifts a target into the air much like... well, Lift.

Awakened PsionicCrush.png - Psionic Prison: A unique hold power from The Awakened, fits into the set nicely.

FortunataTraining TelekineticBlast.png Telekinetic Blast: A ranged attack power from Psychic Blast/Fortunata Training with good knockback. Fills a similar role to Propel, Spectral Wounds and Jolting Chain.

ElectricControl ChainFences.png - Mass SubdualA new power, working as an AoE version of Subdue.

Awakened MassLevitate.png - Mass Levitate: Similar enough to the Psionic Melee power of the same name, knocking all surrounding foes high into the air.

ElectricControl ParalyzingBlast.png - Imprisoning Hold: Another new power, working as an AoE of Psionic Prison, without the damage.

Hero PenelopeYin PsionicDrift.png - Psionic Drift: A unique power belonging to Penelope Mayhem/Yin, randomly inflicting stun, sleep, or confuse on foes in its AoE.

Hero PenelopeYin PsionicNexus.png - Psionic Nexus: Another unique power from Penelope Mayhem/Yin, summoning her unique pet that has access to a few ranged blast powers.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 3

This is a set put together mainly from Dual Pistols and Broad Sword, with some single-handed NPC pistol powers to represent a more natural and weapon-oriented Assault set for Dominators, while the melee weapon customization should have access to all three model sets of War Mace, Battle Axe and Broad Sword. With inspiration and borrowing of a power from

Weapon Assault

DualPistols_Pistols.png.5ff722805f0ac44ccad7ed11c72886dd.png - Pistol Shot: Many NPCs have it, a single-handed pistol shot

Sword_Hack.png.8e7add526f927630e28ccb93d4bb07eb.png - Strike: Combined version of Hack, Beheader and Bash

Sword_Slice.png.f1fe89fe13203fa6b94879352ee012dd.png - Sweep: Combined version of Slice, Pendulum and Crowd Control

DualPistols_DualWield.png.e0a0e6245edfe14e67a645318884124a.png - Heavy Shot: Higher-damage single target attack, again from a number of NPCs that have a pistol

Sword_BuildUp.png.2b27645b598890261750c2ec5d8c69d7.png - Build Up

Sword_WhirlingSword.png.5fe4882450de7a2226d62ada23a1e4ec.png - Whirl: Combined version of Whirling Sword/Axe/Mace powers

DualPistols_PiercingRounds.png.7e2b91cfa473958590517caca906930a.png - Piercing Rounds: From Dual Pistols

BattleAxe_Swoop.png.042ce47e5c9154e324e49d6b53ff4c10.png - Punish: Renamed version of Swoop/Disembowel/Jawbreaker (and snatched to match from Weapon Combat earlier in this thread)

DualPistols_ExecutionersShot.png.9c2959ebdfec8ae412c5a9c669f5da03.png - Executioner's Shot: From Dual Pistols

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looks good, @Night!

I was playing around with a similar idea when I first did the Power Assault set, but I wasn't sure if it'd work with how weapon animations (barely) function 😛

But looks to be pretty solid! lines up nicely with other Assault Sets, and even re-uses some material from the thread which is awesome 😀

I'll add this one to the list!

• Like 1

Okay so I may have been dumb and completely forgot about Gravity Control and how it could work as a manipulation powerset, and I already did Kinetic Manipulation so my idea of mixing Kinetic Melee and Gravity together into a powerset came kinda too late!

But I think I'll just improvise some new melee powers loosely based around that and super strength instead, and try and style them after the gravity theme.

Gravity Manipulation

Your are able to increase or decrease gravity to suspend your foes in place, slam them with powerful blows, or manipulate your own gravity to bolster your abilities.

GravityControl Crush.png - Crush: A simple immobilize power from Gravity Control, perfect to start the set off.

KineticAttack SmashingBlow.png - Slam: A new melee power that uses the same animation as Air Superiority, and also has a chance to knock foes down and disable flight.... like Air Superiority. Features typical gravity FX on the arms during the animation.

KineticAttack PowerSiphon.png - Build Up: Your average build up power.

GravityControl GravityDistortion.png - Gravity Distortion: Another Gravity Control power, a single target hold that's common to the newer Manipulation sets.

Invulnerability ToughHide.png - Orbiting Shield: A new toggle power that grants a small amount of absorb over time, along with a boost to defense. Uses a similar FX to the 'Magnetic' aura, surrounding the player with floating objects, with the additional effect of causing nearby debris to orbit the player much like Hurricane.

KineticAttack Burst.png - Impact: A new PBAoE melee power that uses the same animation as Atom Smasher. Deals heavy damage and can cause several foes to be knocked down and lose flight. Similar FX to Slam, but with the Crush FX added in.

Invulnerability Durability.png - Low Gravity: A new click power that increases jump height and air control, while also granting an endurance discount. Has a slight gravity aura FX on activation.

GravityControl Wormhole.png - Wormhole: Another Gravity Control power. This to me makes for a nice high level power as it fits an unusual niche, and deals a pretty good mez.

KineticAttack TotalFocus.png - Collapse: A superior damage melee power that uses the same animation as Tremor or Total Focus, has a chance to immobilize the target and increase the endurance they must use for powers. Same FX as Slam, though more intense.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

The holds in the newer Blaster secondaries are a big balancing can of worms, I think it'd be better to just avoid putting more of them in Blaster sets going forward.

I may swap it for a heavy single target melee attack, since wormhole is quite effective all on its own.

• 2 weeks later

Going to try another control powerset, cos those seem simple enough to make. There's not many angles left since we basically have a Control powerset for each of the major 'elements' in the game, but I want to try and make one to fill in a niche that no other control powerset has yet, which is Toxic damage. 

I know, I know, damage isn't the focus of control powersets, but I think that's why this could work. Toxic damage is fairly infrequent in game, and what 'raw' toxic there is tends to be fairly low damage. So since control powersets don't focus so much on damage, having a toxic damage dedicated powerset doesn't provoke many balancing issues compared to a purely toxic blast or melee powerset.

Toxin Control

MentalControl Hypnotize.png - Sleep Toxin: A single target sleep power that deals moderate toxic damage, uses the Succubus 'Come Hither' animation to blow poison particles at a single foe.

Poison Paralytic.png - Choking Poison: A single target hold power that deals moderate toxic DoT, similar in appearance to Choking Powder, with a little more poison FX.

FortunataTeamwork Confuse.png - Hallucinogen: A single target confuse power, uses the Poison/Immobilizing Dart animation, firing the Mutagen projectile at them.

PlantControl SporeBurst.png - Sleep Gas: Similar in function to Spore Cloud, and shares the same FX, putting a bunch of foes to sleep in an AoE.

Poison NeurotoxicBreath.png - Corrosive Spray: A cone debuff power that reduces typed defense, resistance and regeneration, and deals minor toxic DoT. Uses the DUST Ranger 'Toxic Burst' FX, with the same animation as Arsonist's Fire Breath.

RadiationMelee IrradiatedGround.png - Acid Slick: Creates a patch that deals minor toxic DoT, reduces speed and positional defense, and has a chance to knockdown. Delivered by the Alkaloid animation/FX, with similar patch FX to Corrosive Vail

Poison Poison Trap.png - Choking Smog: Creates a similar FX to the Poison Trap power in a targeted area, but this time using the 'choke' animation to hold them. 

EarthGrasp Stalagmites.png - Dizzying Fumes: An AoE power that stuns all foes in the area over time. Creates a similar patch to Volcanic Gasses, but without the vents/geysers emerging from the ground.

FortunataTeamwork AuraOfConfusion.png - Confusing Cloud: A power similar in effect to Mass Confusion, using a similar FX to Venomous/Noxious Gas, though also creates a poison cloud over the heads of targets.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tyrannical said:

Going to try another control powerset, cos those seem simple enough to make. There's not many angles left since we basically have a Control powerset for each of the major 'elements' in the game, but I want to try and make one to fill in a niche that no other control powerset has yet, which is Toxic damage. 

I know, I know, damage isn't the focus of control powersets, but I think that's why this could work. Toxic damage is fairly infrequent in game, and what 'raw' toxic there is tends to be fairly low damage. So since control powersets don't focus so much on damage, having a toxic damage dedicated powerset doesn't provoke many balancing issues compared to a purely toxic blast or melee powerset.

Toxin Control

MentalControl Hypnotize.png - Sleep Toxin: A single target sleep power that deals moderate toxic damage, uses the Succubus 'Come Hither' animation to blow poison particles at a single foe.

Poison Paralytic.png - Choking Poison: A single target hold power that deals moderate toxic DoT, similar in appearance to Choking Powder, with a little more poison FX.

FortunataTeamwork Confuse.png - Hallucinogen: A single target confuse power, uses the Poison/Immobilizing Dart animation, firing the Mutagen projectile at them.

PlantControl SporeBurst.png - Sleep Gas: Similar in function to Spore Cloud, and shares the same FX, putting a bunch of foes to sleep in an AoE.

Poison NeurotoxicBreath.png - Corrosive Spray: A cone debuff power that reduces typed defense, resistance and regeneration, and deals minor toxic DoT. Uses the DUST Ranger 'Toxic Burst' FX, with the same animation as Arsonist's Fire Breath.

RadiationMelee IrradiatedGround.png - Acid Slick: Creates a patch that deals minor toxic DoT, reduces speed and positional defense, and has a chance to knockdown. Delivered by the Alkaloid animation/FX, with similar patch FX to Corrosive Vail

Poison Poison Trap.png - Choking Cloud: Similar to the Poison Trap power, but this time using the 'choke' animation to hold them. 

EarthGrasp Stalagmites.png - Dizzying Fumes: An AoE power that stuns all foes in the area over time. Creates a similar patch to Volcanic Gasses, but without the vents/geysers emerging from the ground.

FortunataTeamwork AuraOfConfusion.png - Confusing Cloud: A power similar in effect to Mass Confusion, using a similar FX to Venomous/Noxious Gas, though also creates a poison cloud over the heads of targets.

Love it!  Especially since it would finally allow a 100% "poison" themed character, via a Toxin/Poison Troller!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Also, as an idea, Acid Slick could be really interesting if it does a small tick of stackable -Res every second, but the tick lasts ten seconds!  So the longer the target stays in the puddle, the higher the -Res would be, up to x10.

sounds cool!

I wonder if it's possible to code in something like that 

Should totally be able to with a pseudopet.  Basically just have it drop pseudopet puddles of its own which last 10 seconds each.

It may get a little intensive if you have a whole League of Toxin Controllers all dropping their puddles in one place, but the Devs might be able to find a more efficient way to pull it off.

• Like 1

Since I went ahead and made a new control powerset that just so happens to have a suitable support set to match up with it, I figured I would go ahead and make another Manipulation powerset

Toxin Manipulation

MentalControl Hypnotize.png - Sleep Toxin: Taken from Toxin Control, a bit unusual for a T1 but I think it could work here.

RadiationMelee RadioactiveSmash.png - Poison Touch: A moderate toxic damage melee attack that reduces regeneration. Uses the 'Freezing Touch' animation with standard poison FX

Poison Paralytic.png - Paralytic Poison: Taken from Poison, a strong single target hold with no damage is a nice mez ability similar to other Manipulation sets.

RadiationMelee BuildUp.png - Toxins: A copy of the 'Toxins' power from Plant Manipulation, granting a Build Up effect and adding toxic damage to most attacks.

RadiationMelee AtomSmasher.png - Toxic Gas: A new PBAoE damage aura that uses the Venomous Gas FX, simply deals Toxic DoT to foes nearby.

BioOrganicArmor Inexhaustible.png - InoculationA new toggle power that grants recovery, regeneration, and resistance to Toxic damage and -Heal effects. Looks visually similar to the Alkaloid target FX

Poison NeurotoxicBreath.png - Neurotoxic Breath: Another Poison power, fulfils a similar function to Shiver in Ice manipulation.

Poison WeakenAoE.png - Weaken: A second poison debuff, placed a little higher as not to make the powerset too front heavy.

RadiationMelee AtomSmasher.png - Poison Burst: A PBAoE Melee attack that deals moderate damage and reduces regeneration, uses the same explosive visuals as Plant Control's 'Spore Burst'

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 5

I really feel Dominator's need a weapon set!

Urban Assault - a mix of street justice and dual pistols!

Switch Ammo - Load you pistols AND your punches with various rounds for a variety of effects! 🙂

Or skip Switch Ammo and just give it lethal rounds!  But really think Doms need a good weapon set!

• Like 1