Income Inequality In CoX

Inheritor

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

I do love a good, warm hat.

I would love, love for there to be no influence in the game and that you just went to the Enhancement Replicator and took out what you wanted.

IMO, there is no real reason to continue to gate the waelth int he game behind any sort of time grind, because there is no money involved for subscribers/players.

The rarity and costs are really a joke at this point, the IOs are easily obtainable if you want them, why make it hard?

Just pick what you want and slot it up...

At that point we might as well be insta level 50 with all incarnates unlocked and ready to be slotted.

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I like this. My altitis would round breathing hard and hit hyperventilate 

I've heard that a rumor some other server does this (gives you all the enhancements you want as well as allows you to get to 50 instantly). Not sure how I would feel if that came to Homecoming.

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

I would love, love for there to be no influence in the game and that you just went to the Enhancement Replicator and took out what you wanted.

IMO, there is no real reason to continue to gate the waelth int he game behind any sort of time grind, because there is no money involved for subscribers/players.

The rarity and costs are really a joke at this point, the IOs are easily obtainable if you want them, why make it hard?

ohHellNo.jpg

Nooooooooooooooo.jpg

• Haha 2

ima start calling these 'Snack Threads'. It's so entertaining reading the absurdity and drama that unfolds. I just want a sandwich or some popcorn, a pop and a comfy chair.

upgraded/better names welcomed

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

15 minutes ago, Troo said:

... It's so entertaining reading the absurdity and drama that unfolds...

It's why I am here, this MMO forum by far has been the most entertaining of any I have ever visited, before and after the 'Snap'...it always delivers.

The mere mention of an idea outside the herd parameters brings out the hate.

Ideas are dangerous, you know!

Edited by jubakumbi
speeling and gramz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Neopets, of all places, has a barter-based trading post.  Actually, it's a hybrid because a trade can involve a limited amount of currency, but inflation meant that the value of trades can exceed the allowed currency amount many times over.  Anyway, the answer is that people invented their own currency to use in barter -- in the case of Neopets, a couple of different high-value single-use items that could be bought in infinite amounts from a store.  Bartering requires an enormously tedious amount of research to make sure that the exchange you're making is actually fair and that someone isn't trying to rip you off by offering useless junk.   It's much faster and safer to ask for currency cap + four Baby Paint Brushes for your item than it is to sit there and figure out the value of an offer containing a dozen different books, four morphing potions, two food items, a weapon and a plushie.

This actually usually happens in pretty much all non-money based transaction systems, or when there are price caps put in place that are too low for the highest value goods.  It turns out money is actually a very useful concept, so the community tends to standardize on some type of generically valuable commodity that people start to accept as fillers in trade on the basis that other people will take them in trade, rather than for personal use.

I used to see this trading magic cards, as there's often a cultural stigma or active rule against cash trades, especially in stores.  There was a time where Jace the Mindsculptors were basically $100 bills and shocklands were basically 10s.  I saw a ton of trades go down where people would just price off tcgplayer and throw in shocklands or Jaces to balance since they were considered liquid enough to move whenever.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Clutch those pearls! Clutch them with all your might!

Jabs aside, your idea is pretty bad IMO. People think what they want is all the rewards with none of the effort but when you remove the effort the shiny wears off really quickly. They get bored and then they wander off somewhere else to chase the new shiny. The idea of player retention is to pace those rewards out so that there is still rewards to be chased and provide a sense of accomplishment for those efforts to keep you chasing them.

• Thanks 4

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Just now, Frostbiter said:

Jabs aside, your idea is pretty bad IMO. People think what they want is all the rewards with none of the effort but when you remove the effort the shiny wears off really quickly. They get bored and then they wander off somewhere else to chase the new shiny. The idea of player retention is to pace those rewards out so that there is still rewards to be chased and provide a sense of accomplishment for those efforts to keep you chasing them.

All I get are jabs most of the time.

That's still your opnion and your experience.

I would play more if I could just play with making builds, I no longer get joy from slot machine rewards that are just flags in a database.

That part no longer holds joy for me, whereas creating builds and testing them holds much joy.

Not everyone is, in fact, controlled/addicted to/prefers that particular endless wheel of dopamine.

IMO, holding on to that entire idea is still based on getting players to play longer in an effort to get them to spend more money.

If they like the game and want to play it, they will.

If they are just here for the rewards, they will leave once they get them all.

The only reason to hang around is to have fun and we have fun in different ways.

I don't want to restict the fun of others, but I get nothing but static from this playerbase for simply wanting the same treatment.

I was not even postulating a direct idea, I simply mentioned the idea as a way to where changing INF rewards could lead...and here we are, me getting attacked for going against the herd, for using an idea to eplxain something...

This forum delivers.

I was talking about your jabs. I doubt many of us have pearls to clutch considering this is no longer the roaring 20's. And I know that what I posted was my opinion, that's why I started by saying it was my opinion. I know what you really chase around here, so I'm going to opt out now. You have a good day.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

From the sounds of it, everyone seems to think the idea of infcome inequality in City of Heroes is overblown, but there's some support for making things at least a bit more rewarding (unless I completely misinterpretted the point of the replicator analogy). I don't mind there being an "optimal" infcome strategy like marketeering, but it would be nice to see some love given to less optimal strategies. Specifically if said love comes in the form of increased salvage/recipe drop rates for completing radio missions. More rolls means more chances for something good, reducing the number of flips needed for profit, or having to buy what you need from the auction house, while providing more supply for all the players to draw from.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

Wait, so IOs are easily attainable and hard to get at the same?

😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Trying to re-rail the thread: I've had a lot more fun with teams running task forces, story missions, and MSRs than I've had facerolling Council or AE farms.  Merits are a really good source of inf and enhancements. I already have two builds finished by the lower vet level 20s, though my blaster will take a while longer what with her winter enhancements.  But that's OK!  I don't need her tricked out right now, it's good to have some goals. 

That said: Different strokes for different folks!  If you like solo farming, it's all good!

Edited by skoryy
  • Like 1

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

3 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

this is no longer the roaring 20's

Um, actually... the 20's started on January 1 of this year.  Enjoy the decade! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

5 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

Have you played on We Have Cake yet?  That's basically their claim to fame over Homecoming.  Logon, create a char, ask a GM to wave a magic wand, and PRESTO!  You're level 50 with all the Incarnate slots unlocked and all power slots are equipped with a standard set of IOs.  They also give you all the Inf you'll need to replace any of those sets with others: they've seeded the AH with Recipes and Salvage, to make it easy.  Basically the same as the beta/test server here, except it's the same server that everyone else plays on regularly.

I've played on WHC a few times, and it's alright.  I have to admit it was thrilling to create my first few chars as instant-50s initially, but the novelty quickly wore off, and I haven't been back in several months since then.  It's kind of boring to have everything handed to me immediately, without feeling like I really earned it.  It's the same with all of the games I play after I learn the "God-mode" cheat codes: OblivionSkyrim, Conan Exiles, etc.  Once I figure out that I don't have to suffer through the inconveniences with admin bypasses, I lose all interest.  *shrug*

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

1 minute ago, Rathulfr said:

I've played on WHC a few times, and it's alright.  I have to admit it was thrilling to create my first few chars as instant-50s initially, but the novelty quickly wore off, and I haven't been back since.  It's kind of boring to have everything handed to me immediately, without feeling like I really earned it.  It's the same with all of the games I play after I learn the "God-mode" cheat codes: OblivionSkyrim, Conan Exiles, etc.  Once I figure out that I didn't have to suffer through the inconveniences with admin/God bypasses, I lose all interest.  *shrug*

That's exactly where I predict I'd end up under those circumstances. I like to have goals and to have resistance.

Character development is a part of what makes RPGs neat. I'm not too sure you'd have much game left without it.

• Like 1