Focused Feedback: Katana Animations (Release Candidates)

• City Council

This is a Focused Feedback Thread

• Please note that Focused Feedback threads are heavily moderated to ensure they remain on topic.
    • Any off-topic posts in these threads will be removed without warning.
    • The thread will be locked when no more feedback is required, but you are more than welcome to continue the discussion in a new thread.
  • Changes from the previous build will be listed in green.
  • Any changes or fixes that are only relevant to the beta builds (as in, not changes relevant to the live version of the game) will be listed in blue.

Katana Animations

• Katana powers no longer have a "No Redraw" theme. These powers now will execute an interruptible draw animation only in the following conditions:
    • Out of combat
    • Out of range from the target
    • Power still has not recharged
  • These changes impact the following sets:
    • Blaster > Ninja Training
    • Brute > Katana
    • Mastermind > Ninjas > Jounin
    • Tanker > Katana
    • Scrapper > Katana
    • Sentinel > Epic > Ninja Tools
    • Stalker > Ninja Blade
  • Should these changes work as intended, other weapon sets will get similar treatment as time permits
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I won't be able to test until tomorrow, so I just have one question based entirely on what I'm reading here.

Is the default setup "no redraw" and the animation plays under these conditions, or is the default setting the regular redraw, but it only triggers under these conditions? Is this No redraw with style, or a slightly more tolerable old redraw?

Edit: Re-reading the post, I realize now this was a stupid question. Ignore me!

Edited by ScarySai
Reread the OP, original question didn't seem to apply.

Just now, ScarySai said:

Why?

Using the No Redraw theme, you can activate your attacks immediately without redraw, but you lose the ability to draw your weapon to look cool or for dramatic effect. The changes here should let you still do the draw animation when you want to show off, but still get the benefits of No Redraw in combat.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Vanden said:

Using the No Redraw theme, you can activate your attacks immediately without redraw, but you lose the ability to draw your weapon to look cool or for dramatic effect. The changes here should let you still do the draw animation when you want to show off, but still get the benefits of No Redraw in combat.

Oh, I like that, then. 

I edited the question because I re-read it and wasn't exactly sure if it meant this, or was forcing default redraw with conditions to make it less awful.

As you describe it, I'm all for it. Look forward to testing it.

Seconding this getting rolled to VEATS.

Edited by ScarySai

3 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

I won't be able to test until tomorrow, so I just have one question based entirely on what I'm reading here.

Is the default setup "no redraw" and the animation plays under these conditions, or is the default setting the regular redraw, but it only triggers under these conditions? Is this No redraw with style, or a slightly more tolerable old redraw?

There is no difference between the two things you described. The redraw animation only plays under the listed conditions.

• Like 1

I'll admit I kind of like the redraw animations on Dual Pistols - they look stylish, even if they take a little longer to start up in a fight. Might a "Redraw" customisation option for such fellow odd people be a thing, if Dual Pistols ends up being looked over as well?

Quick quetion:  I made an energy/ninjitsu blaster.  If I were to use the immobilizing dart, then an energy attack, then run into range to use a sword attack, my character would kind of just stand there and the damage number from the sword attack would be deducted from the enemy.  Is this change going to correct that type of issue?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by biostem

Is this going to fix the issue of Katana powers being invisible to people other than the user? My /Ninja blaster's sword is only visible during the attack animation, and on anyone else's screen she appears to be holding an invisible sword except during the attack.

Also - will Sentinels with Ninja Tools be allowed to select weapons now? Currently, there are no weapon options available - they all wield invisible swords.

cf6f1c5762d75ab3f1c3400305650bd8.png

Edited by Rikti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is definitely performing better for me than Live, at least for Blasters.

Live: "No Redraw" is not available to blasters, doesn't really matter because the sword just appears as I'm swinging.  Most times when  I should draw, the entire animation gets skipped.  I just suddenly am holding a katana at the ready, the draw and swing SFX can be heard, and the opponent takes damage.

Beta: everything's better.  Not only am I actually able to draw outside of combat (though it's a bit janky?  Like somethings screwed with the timing?), in combat, my animations never get skipped.

47 minutes ago, Rikti said:

Is this going to fix the issue of Katana powers being invisible to people other than the user? My /Ninja blaster's sword is only visible during the attack animation, and on anyone else's screen she appears to be holding an invisible sword except during the attack.

Also - will Sentinels with Ninja Tools be allowed to select weapons now? Currently, there are no weapon options available - they all wield invisible swords.

cf6f1c5762d75ab3f1c3400305650bd8.png

just checked .   It doesn't fix the issue, until they make it when the pool is chosen that a Katana selection opens up on the Tailor tab i dont think that problem will go away 

Edited by Snow0wl

• Developer

Answer to almost all questions is: we need you to test this.

Sentinel epic is a bit of a different issue, at least partially. Will have to look at it to see what’s going on there, but just because that is still odd does not mean it won’t fix invisible katana issues with other sets that can actually customize the sword in the costume editor.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

• Developer
2 hours ago, Vanden said:

Looks promising, I look forward to seeing this have a full roll out among weapon sets if it works. Might VEATs get first dibs on changes, since they don't currently get a No Redraw option?

This was a very arduous process to get working, need to make 100% certain it works before trying to do it for other sets. Still, it will likely be a while before any other set gets the treatment.

• Thanks 3

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

19 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

This was a very arduous process to get working, need to make 100% certain it works before trying to do it for other sets. Still, it will likely be a while before any other set gets the treatment.

No rush, I'm just saying that as the only weapon classes without a No Redraw option, VEATs would like to be first in line for the super-No Redraw treatment if it's going to be a thing. 😁

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vanden said:

No rush, I'm just saying that as the only weapon classes without a No Redraw option, VEATs would like to be first in line for the super-No Redraw treatment if it's going to be a thing. 😁

Yeah, says you and every spines scrapper/brute, thorns dom/blaster...  There probably should be a unified vision of redraw/non-redraw, and might as well make it Katana since it's in more ATs/sets.

2 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

Due to the current no-redraw themes are a broken mess, they have higher priority.

I have nothing to really add here other than I am glad that you and your team are committed to keeping the game updated and bringing about positive changes in light of old sets! You may not always see the support from forum posters, but your work is valued! 🙂

• Like 3

It seems like you guys are doing an awful lot of work. Regardless of whether every change is agreed upon, the effort is really appreciated. 

VEATs (banes in particular) and thorny doms thank you far in advance as they are redraw nightmares to play. 

• Like 4

I made a Katana/Ice Scrapper for testing (My first Scrapper ever! wow).  Everything looks good so far.  No issues with flow if the weapon is already drawn before engaged combat or not drawn before engaged combat.  I will be able to test out the other versions later today as well.

• Like 2