City of Heroes Things you find annoying

hyacathinose

1 hour ago, Blackferret66 said:

Yeah, I know it's not a bug and never claimed it was such. I know the design reasons and saw all the developments as they came, but it still eats my lunch. Honestly, I don't know if being able to travel the  Y axis is really that much of a bonus, considering that there are a number of flying mobs around now, as well as snipers in places like PI. The other Travel powers aren't exactly aggro magnets, either. Superspeed gets you halfway across the map before any attacks might hit you from mob aggro, which is also suppressed anyway while SS is active, IIRC. The only real disadvantage is not being able to navigate different heights without jumping ability, but Ninja Run can take care of that, for the most part. Teleport and Superleap have similar ability to avoid mobs, especially after TP got the short-term Hover so you could do high altitude teleports. TP's top power actually takes you Zone to Zone, so I would hardly equate slightly faster flying with that as a top Pool power.

Actually, the best traveler I had took no movement powers. I just slotted Swift, Hurdle, and Sprint. Combined with Nina Run, he hit ust shy of SS run speed, and over 90 mph when Elude was on. Plus some almost Superleaping level jumping height.

People usually take random powers like stealth just to mule a LotG, so taking Hover (which I want anyway for the mobility in combat and the +defense) to slot one, then Afterburner to slot another I also get a free speed boost \o/

Seriously though, check the Guides section, Booper made a guide on Travel powers which was a game changer for me. I now move nearly as fast as Super Speed, and faster if they need to jump or travel around something.

Annoying things for me is the well known click-on-things-and-they-don't-work-so-click-twice-but-now-I-get-sent-to-some-random-place-since-this-time-it-opened-the-menu-as-it-should.

Other than that, I guess not much. Oh, perhaps being annoyed at people being annoyed by other people's power choices or the level at which they take them?

Edit: wait, I lie. I'm pretty annoyed at Ruin Mages throwing bubbles up when we are low level and don't get to have accuracy slotted in. Annoyed enough I always run two DFBs nowadays. One for the Recovery buff and the second for the Accuracy.

Edited by Sovera
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, kelika2 said:

New thing to add:  people who have Tough and/or Weave before level 20.

I do not know how to reply to people who reply with emotionicacons so here:

What the FUCK is beating your ass so badly before level THIRTY (not 20) that you NEED tough and or weave before level 20?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If I hit a mob facing the other way with snipe and immediately duck behind something, that mob will immediately know where I am and have me auto targeted. Meanwhile, I'm flying through PI or FF and suddenly get half my hp knocked away and no clue where it came from.

I'm on a team and need to sell/train between missions. I click on the map to make the store/trainer my waypoint and suddenly it disappears because the team leader picks the mission. That's okay, I'll bring up the map again and... oops leader picked another mission... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Garble said:

If I hit a mob facing the other way with snipe and immediately duck behind something, that mob will immediately know where I am and have me auto targeted. Meanwhile, I'm flying through PI or FF and suddenly get half my hp knocked away and no clue where it came from.

There are Crey and Nemesis snipers in PI and FF.  I always look for them and get rid of them when in the area. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

11 hours ago, kelika2 said:

What the FUCK is beating your ass so badly before level THIRTY (not 20) that you NEED tough and or weave before level 20?

It's not about current conditions - it's about picking them up early enough that they're properly slotted in the future.  It's also about not wanting any currently available choice and picking them up now so you can pick other powers when they become available in the future.

tl;dr:  Building isn't always about solving current problems, it's also about setting up for the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

29 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Building isn't always about solving current problems, it's also about setting up for the future.

This why I sacrifice defense and always choose attack powers at levels 2 & 4 (and sometimes 6, depending on powerset). There's an AE XP/Inf/Ticket farm I like that exemps me down to level 1, so taking nothing but attacks at 2 & 4 ensures that I have three attacks available when exemped down.

Since this is apparently "working as intended" and not a "bug" ... it annoys me.

Mobs in missions constantly spawning at +1 to whatever my notoriety is set at. Recently, I was griping about this in Help, and a GM spoke up and said that this was intentional, as a way to add a few "more-challenging" mobs to missions.

That would be all well and good if it actually resulted in "a few more-challenging mobs". The problem is, there aren't "a few". When it happens, in many cases, the only mobs on the map that have actually spawned at the "correct" level  are the named "boss" at the end and the "guards" in his immediate vicinity (the ones who are part of the boss's spawn). In other cases, it's maybe only half the mobs spawning at +1, but for some reason they're all front-loaded; that is, all or most of them are in the first few rooms, which can be a real downer on certain missions, particularly on a "squishy" character, coming out of the loading screen right into a crowd of yellow minions and orange lieutenants. All of this is especially miserable when it's a CoT mission, and you're facing spawns comprised entirely of ghosts - and they're all yellow and orange, and there's no way in hell you can overcome their stacking -ToHit debuffs because you simply can't carry enough yellow insps. When I'm doing Montague Castanella's mission to meet with Lady Jane, I either make sure I'm 1-2 mob kills away from leveling up so that I level up on the first spawn inside that mission, or I just set my notoriety to -1 before entering, because that mission always seems to spawn +1 no matter what, and I have to face an orange-conning Ruin/Madness Mage who immediately spams Holds and Sleeps on me that I can't resist at all at level 14.

What really makes me sure that something is glitched about this is that it's extremely inconsistent from one character to the next. Observing this behavior over the careers of my 90 alts, I have some characters that almost never run into this, and others that experience it in literally every single mission. Whichever type of "luck" a character has, it persists between logins, to the point that I've got Notoriety permanently set to -1 on some characters just so they can get even-leveled missions. Permanently, or at least until they're high enough level to have more tools at their disposal.

Edited by RikOz

3 hours ago, Heraclea said:

There are Crey and Nemesis snipers in PI and FF.  I always look for them and get rid of them when in the area. 

Yes. But my point was that getting hit doesn't automatically allow me to target whoever hit me the way that NPCs apparently can.

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

It's not about current conditions - it's about picking them up early enough that they're properly slotted in the future.  It's also about not wanting any currently available choice and picking them up now so you can pick other powers when they become available in the future.

tl;dr:  Building isn't always about solving current problems, it's also about setting up for the future.

Your argument is nice for a first time alt

But for a level 50 finalized build?  it does not make sense to take tough/weave so early

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Garble said:

Yes. But my point was that getting hit doesn't automatically allow me to target whoever hit me the way that NPCs apparently can.

That's because you're not an NPC who makes decisions based on a Threat List and an algorithm.

Or Are You ...??

• Haha 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1. Players who don't play the exact same way I do.

2. Players who don't build the exact same way I would.

3. Players who don't know the game as well as I do.

4. Players who play powersets/ATs which I would never ever play.

Come on people!

Conformity is  King!

Join the majority and stop acting like you can just do whatever you want in this game.

I mean, it's a game, it's not like it's meant to be fun or something!

P.S.

5. Players who don't understand and appreciate sarcasm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What, me worry?

Glowy hunts.  I'm deaf; just "listen for the sound!" doesn't work for me.  It's one thing when they're out in the open, but in warehouse maps where they sometimes spawn behind other things.... uuugh.  Just autocomplete when I ki-- er, arrest everyone on the map!

• Like 3

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

I return to add one more:

The relic that is 5% chance of failing to hit. It's terrible. I hate it. Point me to all the tests and math but when I'm at 95% and miss three times in a row I question the odds of it happening. The 5% chance plays miserably with all the combo building sets too.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Point me to all the tests and math but when I'm at 95% and miss three times in a row

... you've probably been hit by the Streakbreaker code.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

14 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

... you've probably been hit by the Streakbreaker code.

Hate it especially on snipe powers, which you think have a 100% accuracy due to their wind-up.

Also, Gears coming from clockwork bosses, which always have to be killed on kill-alls. Synapse is such a pain with them.

Then there are enemies getting stuck in cave walls due to someone knocking them against those. I am looking at you, Storm Summoners with Gale on level 1, pushing the Lost around in DFB.

For me, its little things like calling enhancements enchantments.  No. 

It implies not just a newness to the game, which is good, but also a complete lack of interest in actually paying attention to anything in the game.  Like the level 35 character I saw the other day who had no clue how to 'enchant damage buff'. 

Luckily, we have a fantastic community to help folks.

Also, all the folks who announce that they saw a giant Kraken in Independence Port.  Um...Kraken spawns in Perez Park, Lusca spawns in IP, I think they do it intentionally for the confusion that will inevitably ensue.  Ditto for calling powers by the wrong names.  Is it really that hard to read your target/power/vendor/whatever window?

Ok, pet peeve time over, time to get back to helping folks NOT do any of the above.  😁

Edited by EmmySky
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2020 at 5:05 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

Enemies with built-in flight are absolutely the worst offenders here.  Goldbrickers and Sky Raiders are especially bad, but holy hell the Cabal will fly away near instantly.  I can't stand fighting Cabal on any character that doesn't have AoE immobilize and flight supression; they even flee from Tanker taunts!

*Glares at Mary MacComber.*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2020 at 1:33 PM, Rathulfr said:

Follow melee doesn't work when flying/hovering.  If I'm on the ground running and I /follow a target, I can queue a melee attack while I'm moving, and it fires when I close to melee range.  But if I'm in the air flying/hovering and I /follow a target, I can queue a melee attack while I'm moving, but it does not fire when I close to melee range.  I have a scoot forward another foot manually for the queued attack to actually fire.  Why?

Well, it doesn't fire because you don't quite move into melee range. But I don't understand why it keeps you back a little.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, parabola said:

Racing ahead of the group to take on a fresh spawn leaving squishies behind to deal with the bosses that were too much effort to kill. Endemic in the late game and it annoys me every time.

Heh. Reminds me of how some tanks play in WoW. Pull a spawn, fight part of it down, rush to the next spawn before the one you're on is finished. Stress the frack out of the healer and leave the melee DPS struggling to actually do any damage because the pack of mobs on the tank keeps getting dragged out of melee range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THEDarkTyger said:

Well, it doesn't fire because you don't quite move into melee range. But I don't understand why it keeps you back a little.

Yes, that last little bit is what I don't understand, either.  It's maddening.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I thought of another one:

1. Aim
  2. Build Up
  3. Snipe
  4. MISS!

WTF??!!??!!

What The Fuck Man Wtf GIF - WhatTheFuckMan Wtf Angry GIFs