Discussion: Disabling XP No Longer Increases Influence

Jimmy

15 hours ago, Peerless Girl said:

Which is what we've been trying to tell everyone, starting with Jimmy who said you "wouldn't see much impact to your bottom line".

Maybe not, but since many people are giving their OPINIONS as to what they WANT and pushing their AGENDAS versus facts, I figured I might as well throw mine in as well. Torch the AE XP, it's a danger room simulator. Maybe cap it to n amount per 24 hours. I.e. "you can only learn so much in here, Jubilee, now get out there and Hero. Come back tomorrow and practice more" (dev choice arcs would of course be immune to the system, those would be treated as "real" arcs, more or less).

Now the XP nerf? I disagree with. I mean they're playing the game the way they want to, what exactly is wrong with that?

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

14 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Just wanted to emphasize this even more.

I'd have to disagree. IF done right the market can yield 100s of mill in a few hours, beating farming by a landslide.

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

9 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

I'd have to disagree. IF done right the market can yield 100s of mill in a few hours, beating farming by a landslide.

Once again, this is not a counterargument. The issue is NOT that people have lots of influence. The issue is that farming was GENERATING too much out of nothing. "Playing the market", as you suggest, does not generate new influence; it merely REDISTRIBUTES IT somewhere else (usually to one person).

I repeat, for what seems like the hundredth time at this point (a feat, considering I don't have 100 posts to my name), the problem is influence being added to the economy, not influence being moved around within that economy.

• Like 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

13 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Once again, this is not a counterargument. The issue is NOT that people have lots of influence. The issue is that farming was GENERATING too much out of nothing. "Playing the market", as you suggest, does not generate new influence; it merely REDISTRIBUTES IT somewhere else (usually to one person).

I repeat, for what seems like the hundredth time at this point (a feat, considering I don't have 100 posts to my name), the problem is influence being added to the economy, not influence being moved around within that economy.

Stop Sir!  Your facts and logic are not welcome here!

Separately, I also rescind my funding to the World Health Organization.  

Edited by Obus Form
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The best part of this 1300+ entry thread is the clear demonstration that people dump things they don't want for practically nothing into the /AH, pay prices that they think are too high for the things they do want on the /AH, and never seem to realize they are buying back exactly what they dumped.

Now THAT, my friends, is rich, in several meanings of the word!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

10 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The best part of this 1300+ entry thread is the clear demonstration that people dump things they don't want for practically nothing into the /AH, pay prices that they think are too high for the things they do want on the /AH, and never seem to realize they are buying back exactly what they dumped.

Now THAT, my friends, is rich, in several meanings of the word!

I see why you are so influential.  On and off the market.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

You are in luck! The HC devs have implemented the converter system which allows you to converter non-common recipes and IOs from one type to another type (and rarity as well!) It is orders of magnitude less expensive to get the the PVP/Purple/ATO/Winter enhancements that you want then it ever was on live. The fact that you can convert uncommon and rare recipes into IOs that PEOPLE WILL BUY will put you on the path to accumulating the Inf you need to buy the ones you want, even if they never drop (ehem, ATO).

Remember when at one point the PVP uniques were trading off-market for over twice the inf cap?

Right now the Gladiator +3% Def IO is trading for twelve million.  Twelve million.  Run the Freaklympics arcs once in Ouroboros, turn the merits into converters and sell them, and you can buy the Gladiator IO with spare change left over.  But no, apparently these are the kind of crazy prices that are stopping the player-on-the-street from getting a good build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

4 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

Remember when at one point the PVP uniques were trading off-market for over twice the inf cap?

Right now the Gladiator +3% Def IO is trading for twelve million.  Twelve million.  Run the Freaklympics arcs once in Ouroboros, turn the merits into converters and sell them, and you can buy the Gladiator IO with spare change left over.  But no, apparently these are the kind of crazy prices that are stopping the player-on-the-street from getting a good build.

Hey now... I think you're going a little overboard bringing reason and helpful tips into this thread. Totally uncalled for.

• Haha 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

49 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

Grouchybeast is actually underselling this point, because the 12 MInf cost will buy you that very IO at ANY level (10-50) Or catalyzed if you prefer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Panthonca7034 said:

If anything, it's become a lot easier to get burnt out trying to grind for inf or trying to get to level 50 in order to get some kind of inf, and a lot HARDER to get motivated to follow one particular storyarc chain.

Then people are playing the wrong game.

You should be playing CoH because you ENJOY it.  If your focus is grinding for inf or "trying" to get to level 50, that doesn't sound fun at all.  ('Trying' to get to 50?  Getting to 50 is inevitable.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

33 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Trying' to get to 50?  Getting to 50 is inevitable

To seize everything I ever wanted, I look down at my keyboard and ask "Is this what I will do when I get to 50?"

I farm nervous, palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy

There's splotches on my keyboard, yesterday's spaghetti 

But on the forums I sound calm and ready

Edited by Obus Form
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

To seize everything I ever wanted, I look down at my keyboard and ask "Is this what I will do when I get to 50?"

I farm nervous, palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy

There's splotches on my keyboard, yesterday's spaghetti 

But on the forums I sound calm and ready

I've created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Munki no more
They want Obus, I'm chopped liver
Well if you want Obus, then this is what I'll give ya
A little bit of greed mixed with some hard liquor
Some IOs that will pump notes for totes quicker

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

With the plethora of economic knowledge summed in this thread, Devs, can we rename this thread:

The Economicon

Let it die first.  Then it can be resurrected as the Necroeconomicon.  Zombieconomicalypse party, anyone?

• Haha 5

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Let it die first.  Then it can be resurrected as the Necroeconomicon.  Zombieconomicalypse party, anyone?

Off topic: I had an AE arc back on live called The Necroeconomicon about Black Marketing Secrets From Beyond That Man Was Not Meant To Know. Had a crate of counterfeit luck charms in it. Was run by well over 5 people. 

On topic: I’ve heard this change will make the price of IOs skyrocket. Is there a specific date for this? I have a clever plan for how to become fabulously wealthy once the sales price for ATOs hits 50M as promised. I’d like to put it in place ASAP before other folks try to muscle in on my action!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Off topic: I had an AE arc back on live called The Necroeconomicon about Black Marketing Secrets From Beyond That Man Was Not Meant To Know. Had a crate of counterfeit luck charms in it. Was run by well over 5 people. 

On topic: I’ve heard this change will make the price of IOs skyrocket. Is there a specific date for this? I have a clever plan for how to become fabulously wealthy once the sales price for ATOs hits 50M as promised. I’d like to put it in place ASAP before other folks try to muscle in on my action!

That sounds fun, unfortunately the AE system is so inundated with farms and spammers for said farms fun and inventive stuff gets lost.

27 minutes ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Across the board, prices slightly dipped.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jaguaratron said:

That sounds fun, unfortunately the AE system is so inundated with farms and spammers for said farms fun and inventive stuff gets lost.

Surely by now the AE buildings are empty except for unemployed Spines/Fire Brutes doing /em panhandle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 hour ago, Jaguaratron said:

Thats why you form a channel so as to talk to other AE purists and tout your own works. Nothing is stopping you. Probably be a good way to discuss unusual twists and mechanics.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:30 PM, Peerless Girl said:

That's how it was on live, and IMO how it should be here, I've said that quite often. I kind of wonder if it won't end up that way, to be honest...

Just because that’s how it was on live doesn’t mean that’s how it should be. People would just find the next best way to power level. There is nothing wrong with power leveling. There are a lot of people that have played the lower levels to death and just don’t enjoy them and hence skip them. People who enjoy leveling slowly still have the option to do so. This change would only eliminate a play style that many enjoy just because others don’t agree with it.  Power leveling is a choice and should remain a choice.