Discussion: Disabling XP No Longer Increases Influence

Jimmy

10 hours ago, tidge said:

You are in luck! The HC devs have implemented the converter system which allows you to converter non-common recipes and IOs from one type to another type (and rarity as well!) It is orders of magnitude less expensive to get the the PVP/Purple/ATO/Winter enhancements that you want then it ever was on live.

Yeah, the conversion system is just like lightning, it never strikes the same target every single time you need it. Yellows don't convert to anything except yellows, and those few yellows that DO pop up are about as good as a nickel (worth nothing). Karma doesn't often appear, and gift of the ancients is just as elusive. Rares HARDLY convert to something worthwhile until after you've gone through 20-45-50 merits and 80-120 enhancement converters (and THIS WAS the case last year since there was a lot of code adjustments taking place) just trying to get the damn enhancement you want or need for whatever reason you need it for, so I'm gonna have to say the accuracy of this statement is in the 5-8% range IMHO. While volunteering for summer blockbusters is not the difficult feat in itself, I don't team too often.

18 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

It’s not so bad as you think. While “TOILing away normally going through content” (story arcs, morality missions and The occasional Taskforce for your Taskforce Commander badge), you will earn merits, which are your best friends. The easiest way to use these beauties is to simply exchange them for Enhancement Converters and sell them in Wentworths for an 80,000 to 90,000 each. Between these, drops that can be sold and influence earned during play, you can pick up pretty much anything you like without having to resort to living in the vegetable patch.

I burnt myself out last year in the summer, fall, and winter on the beta shard (Mostly late fall/winter on the beta shard) attempting to come up with solid and survivable enough builds and trying out as many solo arcs as I could blueside and goldside, Add hours of gameplay trying to figure out the incarnate system and navigating the end of game storyarcs (Blueside Calvin Scott and Redside Mr G). My build research was met with limited success and disaster, and I'm just not willing to do a bunch of storyarc chains like I used to, the diminishing returns are just not worth the burnout. I'm also not a huge fan of having to go on TFs, just not the teaming type...

The enhancement converter scheme appears to be but a "Small Bandaid" solution to an Inf problem that might not be resolved, and while it is not a bad solution in itself for now, it is ALSO not the most optimal solution right now, so for the moment I AM limited to a either a vegetable patch, a mission grindfest or a taskforce grind-fest unfortunately. The main takeaway is "What works perfect and fine for ONE person, DOES NOT work for another person" hence why I am pointing it out, as there are many varying points of view on this.

I'm more of an AE fan, since I've spent considerable time making some storyarcs (which are sadly still riddled with bugs as of now), but being good on AE doesn't mean squat in terms of earning inf, so I'm out of luck on that particular avenue (since I am ALSO not the farmer type).

So I'm gonna close with this, Inf nerfing has introduced more problems than it has introduced solutions for those who are not patient or that don't want to make a full-time job out of playing the game (it's supposed to be fun, not supposed to be work).

Edited by Panthonca7034
Adding positive points to argument

19 hours ago, Peerless Girl said:

Gonna vote a big hard pass on "new easier way to make inf" as if this game isn't one of the easiest MMOs ever made already, and was before it was revived. As for new content, I'm all for that.

Easy to play, yes. Easy to make Inffluence without grinding non-stop... No... But I'm happy we can agree on the new content part.

Edited by Panthonca7034
Added positive points to discussion

1 hour ago, Panthonca7034 said:

Yeah, the conversion system is just like lightning, it never strikes the same target every single time you need it. Yellows don't convert to anything except yellows, and those few yellows that DO pop up are about as good as a nickel (worth nothing). Karma doesn't often appear, and gift of the ancients is just as elusive. Rares HARDLY convert to something worthwhile until after you've gone through 20-45-50 merits and 80-120 enhancement converters (and THIS WAS the case last year since there was a lot of code adjustments taking place) just trying to get the damn enhancement you want or need for whatever reason you need it for, so I'm gonna have to say the accuracy of this statement is in the 5-8% range IMHO.

For non-attuned enhancements, 1 converter converts among the same rarity for sets that exist at the level of the enhancement. 2 converters converts among the same type for the sets that exist at the same level. If you want Karma's you have to be converting in the range of 10-29 (ideally 10-14, because there are fewer sets below level 15). Gift of the Ancients is in a wide range (15-40) which cover a LOT of sets.

I have a lot of experience converting recipes at all sorts of levels. I typically stop converting (usually lvl 50 commons) after spending 2 converters to get to a rare and then 3 or 4 rare rolls. This puts an upper limit on my out-of-pocket inf at about 1 Minf. I know which recipes go for at least 2 Minf, so I'm doubling my Inf. This is a small potatoes strategy, but I am past the point of needing to generate HUGE profits... this conversion process is literally just a way for me to consume drops and make new IOs available on the market. I don't have a bunch of junk IOs taking up my AH slots, so other players must be finding something useful to do with them.

Now in the case of PVP and Purples: The SG base has so many of these stored (from running content) that when it comes time to slot a character with them, I play converter roulette to get about 80% of what I want and then I go to the market to fill the gaps. Purples DO drop, its just that they aren't guaranteedTM.

If any other EbilTM marketers want to chime in, I'm sure they can offer you more encouragement. I have a few other tricks, but EbilTM has its limits.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tidge said:

If any other EbilTM marketers want to chime in, I'm sure they can offer you more encouragement. I have a few other tricks, but EbilTM has its limits.

At this point, I'm only offering encouragement on the Market forum, if anyone wants to go there.  Here, I've finally given up and am resigned to feeling derision and mocking people who lack rudimentary math skills.  I can only take cold comfort in my belief that with respect to the current system, the devs will not further kowtow to the lowest common denominator.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

I'd like to ask a question: How many players actually DO each of the various methods of earning Inf other than simply playing the game, as a percentage?

I'm willing to bet that the SCORE team can figure this out with the tools at their disposal and I for one would like to know because I think many of the people commenting here are making broad sweeping assumptions to support their points of view.

IIRC the original Devs on the Live game once commented that only about 10% of the player base read the Forums. Therefore, posting announcements there was kind of a waste of time so they'd announce them in-game through the various Chat channels. I also seem to recall that only about 20% of the players accessed the Market for anything other than straight buying and selling. They didn't want to deal with Crafting so they Marketed or Vendored everything and then bought the IOs they wanted. So unless a Market change had a long-term affect on prices, it would only affect 20% of the player base. The other 80% simply didn't care.

I'm reading about people converting and flipping and having billions of Inf and having 'hundreds of Winter IOs' and on and on and on and people are worried about Inf farming exploits? The idea that there are players with BILLIONS of Inf and HUNDREDS of Winter IOs, each of which is worth millions, doesn't strike anyone as being an issue?

I take my 50 (vet 8 or so) into an Inf farm, play for an hour and get 20 million Inf. Maybe I get a purple, maybe not. Maybe I get a few recipes I build and store and maybe I don't. I sell the junk I don't want and maybe make 10 million more Inf. I don't convert anything, I sell the converters for Inf.

Unlike our economy in the real world, this is a fake economy in a make-believe world. We can manipulate it however we want. The question is WHAT is the goal? What EXACTLY do we want? If we wanted it to be completely fair then everything would be free for everyone. If we wanted it to be controlled then everyone would be capped at 2 billion Inf and prohibit sending it to ourselves via email. Fight inflation? Inflation is caused when a few have lots of money (or Inf) and most have much less, right? Like in the days on Live when a Common Salvage could cost 100k or more? Seeding the Market seems to have solved that problem. IIRC regular subscribers to the game used to get little perks every month like a Respec or something. If something is becoming too scarce on the Market either seed it again or give it away in small amounts every month.

If the SCORE teams wants to stop an Inf exploit simply capping the Inf seems to fix the problem.

This is a superhero MMO, not an economic sim. IMHO players who try to use it as an economic sim should be the ones who are disappointed, not the people who simply play the game.

5 hours ago, Panthonca7034 said:

So I'm gonna close with this, Inf nerfing has introduced more problems than it has introduced solutions for those who are not patient or that don't want to make a full-time job out of playing the game (it's supposed to be fun, not supposed to be work).

I have 31 characters that I play with, 33 builds among them (Bane/Soldier and Fortunata/Widow have dual builds). All of these characters (between 27-50) possess their full build complement of IOs, with the non-50s ready to be slotted as they level. I have also adjusted at least 8 builds either as they level or after they have reached 50.

I mostly play the converter game (which I use from my own merits), sell converters for influence or sell off my drops while earning Influence through normal play. There have been times that I have dipped into AE with my Rad/Fire Brute (regular play build, not farmer), but only because my build can handle that kind of play as a side-effect and it does make picking up Catalysts and Super Packs ridiculously easy. I currently possess several hundred attuned IOs and a dozen or so ATOs ready to begin slotting any new character concept that I come up with.

I don’t even play a character until they possess their entire build either sitting in their enhancement tray or loaded into the market for temporary storage. This allows me to spend 99% of my game time actually playing, which is where I want to be in the first place.

Figure out what works for you, make it work for you and enjoy playing the game. It’s as simple as that.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 3

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

4 hours ago, Panthonca7034 said:

Yeah, the conversion system is just like lightning, it never strikes the same target every single time you need it. Yellows don't convert to anything except yellows, and those few yellows that DO pop up are about as good as a nickel (worth nothing). Karma doesn't often appear, and gift of the ancients is just as elusive. Rares HARDLY convert to something worthwhile until after you've gone through 20-45-50 merits and 80-120 enhancement converters (and THIS WAS the case last year since there was a lot of code adjustments taking place) just trying to get the damn enhancement you want or need for whatever reason you need it for, so I'm gonna have to say the accuracy of this statement is in the 5-8% range IMHO. While volunteering for summer blockbusters is not the difficult feat in itself, I don't team too often.

I burnt myself out last year in the summer, fall, and winter on the beta shard (Mostly late fall/winter on the beta shard) attempting to come up with solid and survivable enough builds and trying out as many solo arcs as I could blueside and goldside, Add hours of gameplay trying to figure out the incarnate system and navigating the end of game storyarcs (Blueside Calvin Scott and Redside Mr G). My build research was met with limited success and disaster, and I'm just not willing to do a bunch of storyarc chains like I used to, the diminishing returns are just not worth the burnout. I'm also not a huge fan of having to go on TFs, just not the teaming type...

The enhancement converter scheme appears to be but a "Small Bandaid" solution to an Inf problem that might not be resolved, and while it is not a bad solution in itself for now, it is ALSO not the most optimal solution right now, so for the moment I AM limited to a either a vegetable patch, a mission grindfest or a taskforce grind-fest unfortunately. The main takeaway is "What works perfect and fine for ONE person, DOES NOT work for another person" hence why I am pointing it out, as there are many varying points of view on this.

I'm more of an AE fan, since I've spent considerable time making some storyarcs (which are sadly still riddled with bugs as of now), but being good on AE doesn't mean squat in terms of earning inf, so I'm out of luck on that particular avenue (since I am ALSO not the farmer type).

I'm very sorry, this is not how economics works, not how converters work and not only dramatic exaggeration, but gross misrepresentation.

This has been explained time and again in this thread and in the marketing forums.

It's very, VERY easy to turn 300 converters (that's only 100 merits) into 150 million INF. That's enough to buy a full mid level build.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Panthonca7034 said:

Yeah, the conversion system is just like lightning, it never strikes the same target every single time you need it. Yellows don't convert to anything except yellows, and those few yellows that DO pop up are about as good as a nickel (worth nothing). Karma doesn't often appear, and gift of the ancients is just as elusive. Rares HARDLY convert to something worthwhile until after you've gone through 20-45-50 merits and 80-120 enhancement converters (and THIS WAS the case last year since there was a lot of code adjustments taking place) just trying to get the damn enhancement you want or need for whatever reason you need it for,

I don't run converters until I get the enhancement the character I'm playing needs.  I run converters until it lands on something that someone eventually will want.  Two converters is usually all it takes to convert a yellow uncommon to an orange rare by a type conversion (e.g. Hold to Hold).  Then it's off to the races until the new rare lands on something useful.   This seldom takes more than four or five tries; even so you'll be amazed how much Sleep and Immobilize crap there is out there.  But eventually it turns into something that looks useful, and gets moved from the Gambling to the Useful table. 

The harder part is turning desirable enhancements into something the character I want them on can slot.  Desirable enhancements are in rich supply at the base at level 50; the problem is getting them slotted into a level 27 character.  This is where catalysts and unslotters are useful, and it's one reason why I farm 'daily' catalysts on my level 50s.

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

23 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I don't run converters until I get the enhancement the character I'm playing needs.  I run converters until it lands on something that someone eventually will want.  Two converters is usually all it takes to convert a yellow uncommon to an orange rare by a type conversion (e.g. Hold to Hold).  Then it's off to the races until the new rare lands on something useful.   This seldom takes more than four or five tries; even so you'll be amazed how much Sleep and Immobilize crap there is out there.  But eventually it turns into something that looks useful, and gets moved from the Gambling to the Useful table. 

The harder part is turning desirable enhancements into something the character I want them on can slot.  Desirable enhancements are in rich supply at the base at level 50; the problem is getting them slotted into a level 27 character.  This is where catalysts and unslotters are useful, and it's one reason why I farm 'daily' catalysts on my level 50s.

See? Everyone has their own system adapted from the information available to anyone that will simply look it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

Unlike our economy in the real world, this is a fake economy in a make-believe world. We can manipulate it however we want. The question is WHAT is the goal? What EXACTLY do we want? If we wanted it to be completely fair then everything would be free for everyone. If we wanted it to be controlled then everyone would be capped at 2 billion Inf and prohibit sending it to ourselves via email. Fight inflation? Inflation is caused when a few have lots of money (or Inf) and most have much less, right?

No, that is not what causes inflation.  Inflation happens because the supply of inf entering circulation increases faster than the supply of goods (salvage, IOs recipes, etc).  

Do you like being able to /ah and buy a Luck of the Gambler +7.5% Rech off the shelf for a few million, instead of 75 million?  Then you should thank all those Ebil people who play converter roulette to pour those IOs into the market.  Are they making a lot of inf?  Yes, absolutely.  Are they keeping down the price of desirable IOs to levels where playing the game without farming or marketeering is still extremely viable?  Also emphatically yes. 

HC has turned marketeering into a giant machine for processing crap drops into the drops everyone wants.  The devs don't need to watch prices to identify a supply shortfall, or seed the market with the right IOs, because they've found a way to get marketeers to do all that for them.  It's actual genius.

Anyway, I don't know what 'we' want, but we do know what the devs want, and what they don't want.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:25 PM, Jimmy said:

For a videogame, a healthy market (in my opinion anyway) is one that is rewarding for the average player to interact with, but still has depth for those who want to engage further. We're pretty close to that right now.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:05 PM, Jimmy said:

Correction: Marketeering doesn't produce influence, it moves it. It's also the main reason why there's generally a plentiful supply of highly sought-after goods. Anyone can put in a little bit of time and effort to produce them.

Farming on the other hand produces a ton of influence which leads to inflation (bad), but it also produces tons of goods, which lead to an increased supply of goods (good). None of the changes we've made have impacted the ability for farms to produce goods. Just influence.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:11 PM, Jimmy said:

Right, OK. I did answer this, albeit indirectly.

It's certainly not an 800 pound gorilla, and not something we're trying to hide or obfuscate in any way. It's a deliberate part of the economy working as intended right now.

Basically: Those people marketeering? They are turning the supply of low-demand goods into high-demand goods, thus lowering the cost of those high-demand goods for everyone. That's a net positive for the economy, specifically a net positive for the average player interacting with the economy. Anything we do to remove or damage this process would cause prices to skyrocket. We don't want that.

However if your argument is that it should be simpler or easier to engage in this process? That's a reasonable one, and certainly something we might look at in the future.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:39 PM, Jimmy said:

Something else to keep in mind....

I think very few people here would argue that the economy on live was good or healthy. Our changes (both past and present) are to ensure the Homecoming economy does not end up like that.

In other words: "It was like that on live" is not a good argument when it comes to anything related to the economy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

7 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

The other 80% simply didn't care.

This is the only meaningful part.  All you have to do is care and you end up with hundreds of billions of inf and several thousands of Winter-Os.

P.S.:  I love books too.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
substituted "several" for "tens of". I don't own more than 5-8 thousand.
  • Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

8 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

I'd like to ask a question: How many players actually DO each of the various methods of earning Inf other than simply playing the game, as a percentage?

I play content more than anything else; it is the regular content that drops most of what I want (non Inf) for 'high end builds' (Catalysts, Purple and PVP recipes). As near as I can tell, lvl 50 common recipes are the funding source for all my lvl 50 recipe builds.

I experimented with 'farming' AE (foolish me, I didn't know there was an 'Inf' exploit) for a little bit, motivated entirely by the drops! This was with a Mastermind, and I was actually experimenting with different combinations of IO slotting.

Prior to that AE farm experience, that very same toon (The first on HC) had run a lot of lower level Ouro missions to collect merits, salvage and seed Inf. Those were used to get into the market. He played the market, made his first BInf and then I switched to other toons.

These days, a new character starts with 200 MInf to get started at the P2W and to have seed money to turn its own recipe drops into more useful/desirable IOs for the market. By the time that toon is lvl 50 it usually has its full kit of IOs, short of the Purples, and will have at least that 200 Minf still available. Those non-Purple IOs were either bought off the market or pulled from the SG tables... there are a few categories of sets I know will be more expensive on the market or otherwise are in short supply, so those get saved. As a new level 50 is playing Incarnate content, they will be marketing... by the time the Incarnates are advanced, that toon will have ~ 1BInf of its own, from the Market mostly.

I bought Winter packs during the sale, but I haven't even touched them! My builds don't gravitate towards those sets, so they are literally just there in reserve for the future where I want to slot Winter sets. I actually don't like all the clutter in my account email, so I only rarely play with packs of any type.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

I'm willing to bet that the SCORE team can figure this out with the tools at their disposal and I for one would like to know because I think many of the people commenting here are making broad sweeping assumptions to support their points of view.

IIRC the original Devs on the Live game once commented that only about 10% of the player base read the Forums. Therefore, posting announcements there was kind of a waste of time so they'd announce them in-game through the various Chat channels. I also seem to recall that only about 20% of the players accessed the Market for anything other than straight buying and selling. They didn't want to deal with Crafting so they Marketed or Vendored everything and then bought the IOs they wanted. So unless a Market change had a long-term affect on prices, it would only affect 20% of the player base. The other 80% simply didn't care.

I'm reading about people converting and flipping and having billions of Inf and having 'hundreds of Winter IOs' and on and on and on and people are worried about Inf farming exploits? The idea that there are players with BILLIONS of Inf and HUNDREDS of Winter IOs, each of which is worth millions, doesn't strike anyone as being an issue?

I take my 50 (vet 8 or so) into an Inf farm, play for an hour and get 20 million Inf. Maybe I get a purple, maybe not. Maybe I get a few recipes I build and store and maybe I don't. I sell the junk I don't want and maybe make 10 million more Inf. I don't convert anything, I sell the converters for Inf.

Unlike our economy in the real world, this is a fake economy in a make-believe world. We can manipulate it however we want. The question is WHAT is the goal? What EXACTLY do we want? If we wanted it to be completely fair then everything would be free for everyone. If we wanted it to be controlled then everyone would be capped at 2 billion Inf and prohibit sending it to ourselves via email. Fight inflation? Inflation is caused when a few have lots of money (or Inf) and most have much less, right? Like in the days on Live when a Common Salvage could cost 100k or more? Seeding the Market seems to have solved that problem. IIRC regular subscribers to the game used to get little perks every month like a Respec or something. If something is becoming too scarce on the Market either seed it again or give it away in small amounts every month.

If the SCORE teams wants to stop an Inf exploit simply capping the Inf seems to fix the problem.

This is a superhero MMO, not an economic sim. IMHO players who try to use it as an economic sim should be the ones who are disappointed, not the people who simply play the game.

Ah shit, here we go again.

Hi all. Im angry to see that bad patch on the game. The game is the game. The player who play PvP can't passed more 1 month just for earn 800.000.000 at 1.500.000.00 of influence just for try a new pvp character builded in ATO enchance at 30.000.000/ATO infl. The same for PvE. I like play in solo and build some good stuff for clear the mission in 54+/8. Now i need to passed more 2 day just for a small amount of money? I think the game are for the players. So you can maybe create a Bonus Influence Power (same double XP at P2W) but only available at lvl 50 ! The player who farm money, farm the money. Each players can play the game in solo or in team !!

Or you create a Double Chance/Better chance to drop more Purple Recipes in game...

OR Reward Merit convert. 1 merits = 1.000.000 infl

Edited by Bioxyde37

11 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

<snip>

<snip>

The Homecoming Devs do have the tools to look at the data, have already figured it out and made the fix. This thread is the reseult of that fix.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

42 minutes ago, Bioxyde37 said:

Hi all. Im angry to see that bad patch on the game. The game is the game. The player who play PvP can't passed more 1 month just for earn 800.000.000 at 1.500.000.00 of influence just for try a new pvp character builded in ATO enchance at 30.000.000/ATO infl. The same for PvE. I like play in solo and build some good stuff for clear the mission in 54+/8. Now i need to passed more 2 day just for a small amount of money? I think the game are for the players. So you can maybe create a Bonus Influence Power (same double XP at P2W) but only available at lvl 50 ! The player who farm money, farm the money. Each players can play the game in solo or in team !!

Or you create a Double Chance/Better chance to drop more Purple Recipes in game...

OR Reward Merit convert. 1 merits = 1.000.000 infl

You can test any build you wish on Beta with all the free enhancements you could possibly want.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Thanks 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

11 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

AFK Fire farming isn’t playing the game, just exploiting it.

The Ebils are the Maxwell Lords of Paragon, which is their game. No exploit there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

I'm very sorry, this is not how economics works, not how converters work and not only dramatic exaggeration, but gross misrepresentation.

This has been explained time and again in this thread and in the marketing forums.

It's very, VERY easy to turn 300 converters (that's only 100 merits) into 150 million INF. That's enough to buy a full mid level build.

You can be sorry as much as you want, and the system you use while effective and useful "For You" is NOT effective or useful to me. Waiting 3, 4 or 5 days for stuff to sell at the price you want it to sell for just doesn't work for me, take into consideration that patience is not a virtue most possess, and THAT is not an exaggeration. The luck of the draw sometimes doesn't work out and its rather frustrating. The only surefire way to even win 150 Mill inf in one shot is to win a Costume Contest hands down, which for 90% of the time has become an unachievable challenge, and I won't elaborate further.

An adjustment should definitely not be ruled out, after some careful consideration and some available data, plus being able to see the other point of view.