Is Cross Punch from the FIghting power pool viable?

Silverado

I'm looking at mids, currently working on my Rad/Rad Brute, and I see that Cross Punch has better DPA than Devastating Blow. It also apparently buffs the user's global recharge rate by 100% for 6 seconds? I don't see a flag that limits that bonus, suggesting that it can be made perma? That sounds almost too good to be true. Could someone people clarify these points for me? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Silverado

while not quite as good as it may look in the character builder it is a nice melee filler.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

This.  Running a MoITF yesterday, I was impressed that Cross Punch was actually doing slightly more damage than Haymaker, & noticeably more than Footstomp.  For a power set without a lot of damaging AoEs, this looks like a very good power pick. 👍

• Like 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

On 4/24/2020 at 9:29 AM, Outrider_01 said:

Fast recharge, nice cone, and decent damage.  Animation cinches the deal,, can't go wrong with it.

Agreed.  The animation looked a bit silly on my Dark/Ninjitsu Stalker, when I was looking for some AoE help before Shadow Maul got fixed.  But it looks awesome on my Inv/SS Tanker! 😎

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Hard No.

To make Cross Punch work you will always always be using Boxing/Kick for that combo stuff and you will be doing nothing but that and just.. no.  And it is a small cone, you will RARELY hit more than one target.

Now Boxing/Kick/Punch for say a hard soloing controller or mastermind... not too bad.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later

I have Kick, Tough, Weave, and Cross Punch from the Fighting Pool on my Energy Melee/ Inv Brute. CP is quite a good attack. Kick is the rarely used, filler attack, the Fatigue it causes is negligible. I use CP right in my main attack chain. If you recall EM's last couple of powers are long recharge attacks. I didn't take Haste on this character so I needed some filler, and CP fits the bill for me. Is it Optimal? I doubt it, but thats boring. 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Is Cross Punch from the FIghting power pool viable?

Viable (adj.)capable of working successfully; feasible.

Optimal (adj.): best or most favorable; optimum.

Viable?  Yes, obviously.

Optimal?  That's a very different question.

And yes, it's something of a pet peeve of mine that when gamers ask "viable?" what they really mean is "optimal?" instead.  The two terms are NOT synonymous and should not be equated to each other.

• Like 3

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I'm not saying it's great, but I was practically forced into it on a stone melee brute.  I 6 slotted avalanche in Tremor but the kd proc was causing random kb when it procced the same time the Tremor chance to kd fired and I NEEDED the Avalanche bonuses.  Since I was deep enough in the fighting pool, I went with Cross Punch and I actually kind of like it.  Stone doesn't offer much for AOE, so it provided something additional.

I love my Cross Punch.  I didn't take Hurl out of SS (I don't like the animation, doesn't fit my theme) and it fits in the rotation nicely.  It especially shines in large groups where the cone is going to hit multiple enemies.  I'd say take it if you have the room and have kick and/or boxing.

Cross Punch (with Boxing and Kick) is very viable. It's my primary attack on my SS character, using it for AoE and Single Target attack chains. I don't say primary as in its my best attack though, it simply is the one that recharges the fastest and fills the gaps in my attack chain. But it also does very strong damage. The big reason why I was able to get a sub-3 minute pylon time on my Stone/SS tank was because of cross punch. Its added recharge helped get my other attacks back sooner, and it procs at a decent rate for additional damage and resistance debuffs.

I dont recall off hand, but I think it does 1.65 damage scale at max synergy, for a cone with a 1.67s attack animation, thats pretty good DPA

Essentially, I replaced Haymaker with Cross Punch, as they do similar damage with similar recharge and cast time, but Cross Punch comes with +Recharge and +ToHit for each target it hits, and it hits up to 5 targets. 

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

On 4/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, kelika2 said:

Hard No.

To make Cross Punch work you will always always be using Boxing/Kick for that combo stuff and you will be doing nothing but that and just.. no.  And it is a small cone, you will RARELY hit more than one target.

Now Boxing/Kick/Punch for say a hard soloing controller or mastermind... not too bad.

You don't need to use boxing/kick. But you do have to take them to make CP as strong as possible. But use boxing/kick? Only if you are exemplared to a super low level, where the added stun and knockback could be good and you fill your rotation. But endgame, boxing and kick shouldn't be in your tray

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

on something like Dark Armor or Ninjustu, or in an end game build for a controller who need something with containment, it is actually QUITE helpful. But it really only works if you have quite a few 'power pool' gaps in your build where you forego some of the set powers because they suck. It makes a decent replacement for time bomb or a single-target stun or sleep, for example.

It's also outstanding in something like psi or dark where, if an enemy resists your powers, they resist them a LOT. Alternate damage types are the only thing that make my psi sentinel willing to take on that Marchand arc with all the stupid war walkers.

Edited by Frostweaver