Have any odd in-game habits?

RikOz

I organize my tray when I can, but in mid mission, it gets impossible. Depending on if the character is resistance based or defense based, I keep oranges or purples stocked mostly. Anything else will get combined into oranges or purples eventually. 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

4 minutes ago, KC4800 said:

I organize my tray when I can, but in mid mission, it gets impossible. Depending on if the character is resistance based or defense based, I keep oranges or purples stocked mostly. Anything else will get combined into oranges or purples eventually. 

I usually use all inspirations as soon as they drop, and try convert greens and blues into reds or purples. Which reminds me, that would be a good bind to make..
Also I tend to reject awakens because they clog up my tray and I have to click them away. And if I die It’s rarely something I can come back from

🤪

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

- All of my characters share the same base costume, to the point that I can recreate it exactly (including height and build) from memory without loading a saved template. 

- I don't like having substantially different defensive values between damage types, if I can help it.  I will sometimes prioritize a different IO set or power just to fill in holes in niche types over bolstering more useful or common ones.  Eg. My Invuln Stalker doesn't have Temp Invuln partially because it would put my S/L so much higher than everything else (but also because it would be a waste and overcap me).  Instead, I made sure all of my resists, including Psi, are in the 50-60% range.  I don't know why that bothers me.  

At L10 I considered it a point of pride hoofing it to collectt all the exploration badges in The Hollows, back before the inherents were inherent and we had to be L14 to get a travel power. Especially that one in the SE corner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 hours ago, KC4800 said:

It doesn't matter what character I am on, if I am passing through Talos, and I see a Yellow Ink Man, I punch it in the head. This goes all the way back to my first character I ever played on live. He was an invul tank, and I didn't understand that I needed my status resist yet, and I had to fight Tsoo missions and kept getting slept.. So yeah....I still hate Yellow Ink Men.

*nods* I assassinate any Crey snipers I pass when I'm crossing Founders. 

That's the legacy of an unlucky DB Scrap I had in the Live days. When I was leveling Ashirion, a cruel contact in Indy sent him to a door mission in the middle of the brownstones in Founders. This was prior to the random-door-picking revamp that made being sent to a zone that would murder you unlikely, so he was way, way underlevel for the place... and as he landed at the door, he instantly got caught in the crossfire of the MULTIPLE snipers on the rooftops on either side. 'Killed the poor bird dead on the spot. I had zero chance to do anything about it.  

Needless to say, Ash and I sort of held a grudge after that. When he was a finished 50 (and later a full-Incarnate nightmare XD ) I would occasionally take him back out to Founders and murder Every. Single. Sniper. I could find. Ash considered it a public service. Every other character of mine takes them out opportunistically. Call it... continuing vengeance in Ash's name. XD

• Like 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

When in the street and a car comes I get out of the way like it matters.

Inspirations are stacked by color except Awakens are always in the bottom left corner.

• Like 2

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

59 minutes ago, RialVestro said:

I don't really understand how anyone can stand to have inspirations that aren't organized in some way or another. It's like how do you even quickly find what you need mid combat if you have all different inspirations scattered all over the trey. My dad's is often a disorganized mess. I can barely manage to hit a Respite when I need one knowing exactly where I keep them slotted. Hitting one in the heat of battle when they're always just where ever they happen to land in the trey would be impossible. 

I play heavily with binds because I hate using my mouse.  D is a red, F is a yellow, G is a purple, H is an orange, J is a break free, K is a blue, L is a green and Z is a wakie.  They are all listed to use the largest available first.  A is a bind to combine insp into reds and consume one, for my tank farmer who can always use more damage.  My bindfile is exactly the same for all my toons so by now I know where everything is and its muscle memory.  😁

Some good ones here, but some of y'all are missing the qualifier in my OP: Habits that have no effect on gameplay. In other words, things you always or almost always do even when there's absolutely no reason to do it. In my example of always moving into an open space before clicking the mission's Exit button, I didn't even realize I was doing it for a long time, because it was so automatic.

Now that I think about it, I suspect it's related to my years of playing WoW. In WoW, you cannot summon a mount indoors, or inside most raids and dungeons. Even outdoors, despite quests not being instanced, things like caves count as "indoors". So if you have finished your business inside a cave, you have to run back outside of the cave before you can summon your mount. In CoH, I think that translated to an automatic urge to move out of a confined space before "traveling".

I sort my characters as such:

Lowbies (less than 50) are heroes. They go to the back of the list. Non-IO'd lvl 50s are Villains, they go before heroes. Partially IO'd 50's are Rogues, and fully IO'd characters are Vigilantes. I sort each group then by AT and Alphabet.

This helps me keep track of them. I also use Excel but that's not in game.

In game I use lots of binds/macros that I keep generally uniform with some exceptions eg. Kheldians and Masterminds. All my inspirations are bound so I get what I want by button press rather than needing to sort them. I always feel the urge to only complete mission objectives. When a mission ends I have the exit button bound to my f9 key for instance so I can save time exiting the mission (that or I'm too lazy to use the mouse).

I sort my enhancements in bins based on category, and then whether they are useful for any of my alts or stuff I need to convert and sell for profit. For my power slotting, procs always start from the enhancement slot to the furthest right. If a slot on the left shows a proc, that means it's completely proc'd which tends to happen on numerous builds.

I find myself to typically build my characters to be self reliant and more often than not capable of carrying a team, as I don't expect much out of teammates especially pick up groups, but often enough team up with pick up groups, hopeful that I am wrong about my expectations for others. That said that's more of an internal thought process that I try to not let it show in the game, as I'm aware I'm an asshole, but I'm trying to internally work on it, and accept that horses must choose to drink on their own, and other's may have different definitions of fun.

My current oddball habit is restricting myself to a maximum of 10 alts per server (40 NA/10 EU).  But I play mostly on Everlasting, second on Excelsior, rarely on Indom, and almost never on TB and Reunion.  So I end up shuffling alts to the other servers to make room on Ever and Excel.

I also always sort my characters by level then name on each server list, highest at the top, lowest at the bottom.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I've never thought of sorting characters as a particularly odd habit... but I definitely do that, too. Tavaris and his oddball little group of Sanctum magi are all on my first page. Their "supporting cast" are all on the second (Their thorn wielders, living ward spell, artifact ship and such-), along with the two allied Temple magi and their stray thorn wielder and her sword. My time travelers from Nova Primeva are on the third page along with the new Ordus Obscura pair, and the little handful of non-Oranbegans I have are all clustered together on the fourth.

Associated characters are always next to each other on the list, too. All three alternate versions of Kai are together, for instance. Likewise Merlin and Mordred (a couple) or Ivory and Dorian (siblings).

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

20 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

Also, when I'm slotting enhancements in a power... Any specials or procs MUST be in the first slot. Then singles, doubles, triples or quads in that order. I'm not so picky about rather the Acc/Damage or the Damage/Rech comes before the Rech/End or whatever... But they all have to come before the Acc/Dam/End.

Acc/Dam, Dam/End, Dam/Rech, Acc/Dam/End, Acc/Dam/Rech (Dam/End/Rech generally only gets slotted - last - if there isn't anything needed more for a sixth slot). And I use the 'will go in this slot' highlight on other powers slotted with the same set to make sure I put them in the same order.

Ok, reading through this thread, I'm thinking there are very few things that are truly odd or weird, since so many people seem to be having shared experiences here . . . soooo . . . 

I don't use Inspirations.  I sell them.

When I do an Ouroboros Arc or a solo Task/Strike Force, I disable use of Inspirations, so I don't even accidentally click on them.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TraumaTrain said:

When I'm running around and see one of those hanging storefront signs, I jump into it to make it swing around.

Or, when encountering one of the swinging gates (like just S of Penny Yin) or one of the red phone booths, pushing up against the door to vandalize it, breaking it off.

I sort my characters by day job status first, then alphabetically. First come those who have all day jobs badges. Then a space. Then all those working on day job badges. Then a space. Then all those working on day job badges, but are blocked from getting more due to level or goldness. Saves a ton of time when cycling day jobs, but manually editing the playerslots file can get tiresome. 

Also, when picking up Tank explo badge in echo gc, I always climb up the statue without using fly or jump powers, because that’s how I used to get it back in the day. There was another badge in AP(?) that was on an office building ledge. But you could juuust barely get to by climbing a nearby building, jumping onto the monorail tracks, running down them, and jumping to the ledge. All while dodging the monorail. But it’s gone now. 

On 4/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, ForeverLaxx said:

I ignore the Reveal power but still insist on revealing the map manually, especially with elevator rooms.

This. I don't really like the Reveal power because the 'Fog of War' on the map lets me know where I haven't been yet.

• Like 4

I always do the tutorial for every character. 

No character of mine is permitted to leave the tutorial without at least a 900 character backstory (and often is like 1021).

My fliers always log out park on top of buildings or tall statues.

They then start their day by jumping off the building and going into free fall, activating Fly only when they're close to impact.  (yes, I have mistimed this a few times....)

I almost always travel to Wentworths / Black Market in person.  Only exception is when I'm already at the crafting table and just 1-2 ingredients short.

Blueside, I'll often "rescue" a few stray citizens being accosted by Hellions or Vahz or Outcasts or Family or Tsoo as I'm zipping along from mission to mission.  Only when soloing, and only a few citizens per trip, because after all, there are an infinite number of them and you can never *really* make a dent in it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Primantis said:

This. I don't really like the Reveal power because the 'Fog of War' on the map lets me know where I haven't been yet.

The whole 'Fog of War' thing annoys me, at least for the city zones. Doesn't anyone in the entirety of Paragon City have maps of the city? Now, for zones that have been... redecorated... I would like to see a different form of 'Fog of War' -- when you first enter a city zone, you get a fully 'explored' map showing the zone as it was, for example, Baumton as it existed before getting ruined. As you explore the zone, the 'old' map is replaced by the 'real' map -- Boomtown as it is. For the city zones that weren't significantly damaged, the 'gas station map' will be accurate, while zones that were severely affected by events will have varying degrees of change as they are explored.

Now, I don't expect this to happen, because it makes a significant change to the way that the zone maps work, and requires new art for the 'pre-destruction' zones -- Baumton, Eastlake, Woodvale, Overbrook, Perez Park, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 12:53 PM, Shred Monkey said:

When I hit level 50 I always go back to Ms Liberty to level up.

Back on Live the whole SG would meet in PI after the final lvl 50 ding!-mish and jog (no Travel powers) back through the zones to AP and Miss Liberty where it all started.

• Like 2

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

No character of mine is permitted to leave the tutorial without at least a 900 character backstory (and often is like 1021).

Same. I always do the tutorial. I need the character to have a solid beginning. I don't do the backstory, though, until I have a good feel for them. I like to write it in their voice, rather than just an overview of them or list of various traits, in order to give the reader a feel for the character's personality. Sometimes that takes a few levels to get the feel for. 

But when I do get it, I stop whatever I'm doing (after defeating whomever I might be fighting at the time) and write it. I stopped rampaging through a Longbow base once to stop and write out a 1000-word character study.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MTeague said:

No character of mine has much of a chance of being played without at least three, in-character banter binds.  This is a tanker-driven thing, from when I wanted actual taunts to accompany the taunt power.  They do serve a gameplay purpose, because I use them to call out significant or milestone mobs like sappers, quantums, name bosses, and AVs, and let the group know that's my target.  They always go to local, except for maybe one that comments on Romulus's cutscene. 

Biographies often come later, because they tend to be strongly influenced by in-game career things like fighting a lot of a certain mob or getting a slightly unusual badge.  Concepts get expanded this way. 

• Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291