Unofficial Homecoming Wiki

Michiyo

Seems to be back. I was able to click on the Enhancements page link and go directly there. (The link posted earlier in this thread).

EDIT: Also THANKS TO THE COMMUNITY for the MASSIVE effort to get up a HC specific site! Kudos! 😄

Edited by golstat2003

I finished a couple of wiki update projects I thought I'd mention.

There are several badges whose names have changed slightly on Homecoming, and I'd like to update those badge pages on the wiki but I am not sure how to do that the most efficiently. If anyone can point me to any guidance, I'd be grateful. I posed that question on the wiki as well but I am not sure I put it in a place that would be readily noticed.

My gratitude to the many other folks that are continuing to update the wiki!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

There are several badges whose names have changed slightly on Homecoming, and I'd like to update those badge pages on the wiki but I am not sure how to do that the most efficiently. If anyone can point me to any guidance, I'd be grateful. I posed that question on the wiki as well but I am not sure I put it in a place that would be readily noticed.

I think it's worth mentioning that I am working through the Badger site... slowly. I'm not aware of any badges whose _names_ have changed, though, as opposed to badges being moved between zones or badge names used for paid content repurposed (but perhaps it's that you mean?).

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

1 hour ago, thunderforce said:

I think it's worth mentioning that I am working through the Badger site... slowly. I'm not aware of any badges whose _names_ have changed, though, as opposed to badges being moved between zones or badge names used for paid content repurposed (but perhaps it's that you mean?).

thoroughly checked all in-game badge names for spelling, settitle ID, and badge tag (which isn't tracked on Badger), and there are a few whose names are slightly different on Homecoming compared to how the name appears on the wiki. Of course there's always the chance that something slipped by, but given the amount of checking and re-checking I've done of the Badger data over the past several months, I have the highest confidence that what is on there is correct.

Edit to clarify that I'm referring specifically to badge names and settitle IDs. Other bits of data on Badger (acquisition notes, in-game badge text, etc.) was verified as best as possible when we created the database, and we've continued to update it as folks have submitted issues and/or we notice things internally, but I have yet to find a straightforward way to verify those pieces of data like I have the badge names and settitles. I also certainly don't want to discourage anyone from double-checking any of the data on Badger, so check away!

Edited a second time for brevity, and to say thanks for the note you left on the wiki. I think I have the hang of moving pages now (and I've been able to clean up any double-redirects) so I'll focus on moving the pages for the badges whose names changed on Homecoming. One nice side-effect of the update I made to the settitle list is that missing badges show up clearly in red!

Edited by AboveTheChemist
clarification and brevity
  • Thanks 1

I think you misunderstand me; I'm not looking for errors in Badger - I'm using Badger as a list of badges on Homecoming to look for Wiki pages to edit (eg the very first page on Badger lists some PvP zone badges and I know they got changed, so I went to edit those).

I see you're right that some names have changed. How curious.

• Like 1

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Stupid question here on intent/process of this:

I'll use this page as an example:  https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Emotes

It breaks down the "unlockable" emotes by the pack that they were part of (or whatever unlocked them).   Many/most/maybe all of these are just available now with no unlocking.    Is the desirable to  clean this up and just put all emotes in a master list (maybe replace the "issue" column with a flag on which are avaiable under quickchat and which are not...) since that's how they're experienced in Homecoming, or just focus on adding the missing (text, cellphone, liedown, etc?)

29 minutes ago, chase said:

It breaks down the "unlockable" emotes by the pack that they were part of (or whatever unlocked them).   Many/most/maybe all of these are just available now with no unlocking.    Is the desirable to  clean this up and just put all emotes in a master list (maybe replace the "issue" column with a flag on which are avaiable under quickchat and which are not...) since that's how they're experienced in Homecoming, or just focus on adding the missing (text, cellphone, liedown, etc?)

I'd say that such changes need to preserve the historical context (which is consistent with what we inherited)...  So, copy the existing information to a "history page" (which would only be pointed to by the "main page") and edit the "main page" to reflect the current situation.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

8 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I'd say that such changes need to preserve the historical context (which is consistent with what we inherited)...  So, copy the existing information to a "history page" (which would only be pointed to by the "main page") and edit the "main page" to reflect the current situation.

Excellent, thanks.  Since the original archival paragonwiki  still existed, I wasn't sure if we were keeping record here or just referencing the original source.

5 hours ago, thunderforce said:

I think you misunderstand me; I'm not looking for errors in Badger - I'm using Badger as a list of badges on Homecoming to look for Wiki pages to edit (eg the very first page on Badger lists some PvP zone badges and I know they got changed, so I went to edit those).

I definitely misunderstood you, and offer my apologies. I was mulling it over this morning (before I saw your post) and I realized the error I had made. I considered deleting that post and just putting in an 'I'm an idiot and totally misunderstood you" but it kinda says that already using a few more words.

The point about the 'other bits of data' on Badger is still relevant, however. The notes, badge text, and other info have been vetted as best as possible but I wouldn't assume it is 100% accurate for wiki updating purposes. The phrase 'trust but verify' comes to mind, and I've been double checking as much info as I can for the wiki badges that I have updated so far.

Edited by AboveTheChemist

38 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Which I just realized also implies that eventually some pages (such as Issue pages) might eventually have to be edited to point to the "history page" for consistency...

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

1 hour ago, chase said:

I think it is desirable to clean it up, but more desirable still to add the missing emotes. I don't feel any particular need to preserve the history - the Paragon Wiki isn't going away - and I have to admit I have already made a considerable number of edits which don't do that; but if you want to move the old page off and wikilink it, be my guest.

I only really think the history is important in pages like (say) https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Echo:_Galaxy_City where it's necessary to know the old Galaxy City was removed to make any sense of why it exists at all.

• Like 2

For anyone interested in focusing on badges from i25/i26, I added a table to the discussion page for the main Badges page that contains every badge I could find that was updated or added in i25/i26. It's not necessarily comprehensive but hopefully it's a good start.

Also I just figured out how to sign my discussion text (with the four tildes ~~~~) so please forgive any previous comments I made on the wiki that were unsigned. I'm still working my way up the wiki editing learning curve!

The Kheldian sections can be updated to say they have access to the flight and teleportation pools in HC. Or just have that section saying they don’t, removed. Thanks for all your hard work!!!!! See you out there!

31 minutes ago, Orivon said:

The Kheldian sections can be updated to say they have access to the flight and teleportation pools in HC. Or just have that section saying they don’t, removed. Thanks for all your hard work!!!!! See you out there!

Done, but please let me encourage you to edit yourself - to make the Homecoming changes is a huge task and it would be useful to have as many people on it as possible.

• Like 2

Does anyone have a way to dump the Homecoming .bin files? I found an exe that can convert the I24 ones, but Homecoming's bins aren't compatible so I'm currently working off the old ones. Very useful for finding the exact powers that NPCs have and exact numbers when the powers detailed info screen lies to you! Unless it's against the code of conduct, in which case I never said anything! 

In a similar vein, does anyone have a decent damn .pigg viewer/extractor as I currently have to alternate between three awful programs for different jobs and it is miserable!

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

Have you tried Piglet? I don't often need a pigg viewer but I've used Piglet several times and have never had any problems with it.

Piglet can't export texture files as .dds or import custom textures, but works fine as a general viewer.

Pigg Viewer Pro can export texture files as .dds but can't repack custom textures and doesn't recognise Homecoming's piggs as valid so won't open them, can only be used on the I24 piggs.

Pigg Viewer v1.61 can only open individual piggs, not whole archives, and for me won't preview textures giving an error message when I try.

So to find the right texture I want, say for a Homecoming exclusive power, I need to open the pigg archive in piglet, search for the file, get the filename and which pigg its in then open the individual pigg file with PV1.61 to export it. Just makes everything slightly more annoying than it needs to be! Not to mention that when I try and import textures at the moment they seem to corrupt. Still need to figure out what I'm doing wrong there!

6 hours ago, Aberrant said:

Piglet can't export texture files as .dds or import custom textures, but works fine as a general viewer.

The version of Piglet I have will export as .dds. It requires right-clicking the texture preview image and exporting it from there, rather than exporting from the file list below. I just found out about that today when I was checking OuroDev but it seems to work fine. I don't know how to check the version number on my piglet, though. If you can't get that to work, I wrote a little Python to script to convert the textures into DDS, and then I found another little executable to turn them in to PNGs. I am happy to share either, or both.

I haven't done anything with importing into piggs so I can't help there.

Ah weird, must've missed that. Maybe had bad luck with it the first time round, thanks for the heads up.

Don't need to import into the .piggs but rather repack a .dds as a .texture file. So long as it's in the same folder structure it'll overwrite the in-game texture, but for some reason mine seem to corrupt while doing it with PV1.61 and appear as scrambled pixels.

2 hours ago, Aberrant said:

Don't need to import into the .piggs but rather repack a .dds as a .texture file. So long as it's in the same folder structure it'll overwrite the in-game texture, but for some reason mine seem to corrupt while doing it with PV1.61 and appear as scrambled pixels.

I tinkered with my Python script and got it to work in reverse to take a DDS file and repack it into a texture file. At least, it worked for the badge icon replacement I made. If you want to try it, or if you want me to try to convert some of your files, just shoot me a PM.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know anything about the 'Zone' Infobox template that is used to summarize zone info on the individual zone pages? I've attached an example from Atlas Park. I'd like to upload images of the new MoreMaps4U maps for the zones that have been updated and make them available in this infobox. Ideally I'd put the link below the VidiotMap link at the bottom, but I can't find where that template is to add the code to show it, and I had no luck trying to add it manually. I'll keep looking but if anyone knows anything about that template I am all ears.

zone_infobox.png