Black Lives Matter

UltraAlt

5 minutes ago, lemming said:

I could certainly see Blue Steel getting his history tweaked, but let's face it, there is a lot of history that is odd in CoX that would need tweaking.  In someways it's a reflection of the writers back then.  Much like old cartoons have some very problematic history.

Were this the IP of the Homecoming team, I'd agree that rewrites/tweaks could be done.

Buuut there's this snag called unofficial / private server.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Like 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

6 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Were this the IP of the Homecoming team, I'd agree that rewrites/tweaks could be done.

Buuut there's this snag called unofficial / private server.

Technically they could still adjust as they see fit. 

But given that they are in talks with NCSoft, yes, lore changes would be one more thing to reconcile in the event of a final deal.  

• Thanks 1

Hey I'm not saying bb is right.  I'm just saying words have power. Even expressly fictional words.  Not everybody uses fiction for escape.  Speculation and theory are forms of fiction, and they're not mutually exclusive or wholly separate. Some people care about what a fiction "says" as a lense for real world reflection.

.  And I.p. rights are kind of their own crazy thing right now too.

But that bit matters less than black lives, so  out I go!

5 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Technically they could still adjust as they see fit. 

But given that they are in talks with NCSoft, yes, lore changes would be one more thing to reconcile in the event of a final deal.  

I would say adjusting as they see fit is like putting foot in mouth and then shooting said foot. The idea of rewriting a character that does not belong to you & changing their history is a bit odd.

4 minutes ago, Patti said:

Hey I'm not saying bb is right.

I apologize if I came off as thinking you did.

Some people care about what a fiction "says" as a lense for real world reflection.

I would agree, but I am having a hard time wrapping around the idea of a character written way before all this doing one heinous act being on the same side as what's going on in real life.

And I.p. rights are kind of their own crazy thing right now too.

Fair point.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Thanks 1

unknown.png

12 minutes ago, Boudicia.Dark said:

Never stops being amazing how *some folks* can't just read the phrase "back lives matter" and understand that phrase is NOT saying "ONLY black lives matter".

yeah while that's true it is kinda exclusionary.  I can see why people think that.  All lives matter, no matter the color, religion, gender.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Boudicia.Dark said:

Never stops being amazing how *some folks* can't just read the phrase "back lives matter" and understand that phrase is NOT saying "ONLY black lives matter".

All lives matter – Siri and Google now address this response - 9to5Mac

The funny thing is, this is exactly why I don't support the sentiment. Because the only black lives that matter are the ones on fire, the problem ones and not the good ones that should be elevated and celebrated. 

1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

it is kinda exclusionary. 

The point of the movement has gone over your head if you have to state this.

2 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

All lives matter, no matter the color, religion, gender.

While true, I would honestly beg that you at least look up BLM to understand why its a movement.

• Like 6

unknown.png

I miss the days when people expressed their political views through their vote and they kept it to themselves. Please do not bring politics to this game. I grow tired of running from everyone's political pressures and this game is about the only place I can go to escape the world's bullshit. I ask again...PLEASE keep politics and real world issues OUT of this game. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

I would say adjusting as they see fit is like putting foot in mouth and then shooting said foot. The idea of rewriting a character that does not belong to you & changing their history is a bit odd.

Well Disney would like to say your very very wrong, see literally every single fairy tale retelling they have ever done. See every retcon in comicdom when a new head writer takes over a title.  Hell see LOTR, which is basically just old myths and folklore retold as a single epic narrative and very little truly original beyond character and location names created by the writer.

Your point is about as solid as the body of an imaginary friend.

2 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

The point of the movement has gone over your head if you have to state this.

While true, I would honestly beg that you at least look up BLM to understand why its a movement.

Yeah man just a heads up, I'm African American.  Trust me dude, I get it, thanks.  I can have opinions just like anyone else and to me, all lives matter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I miss the days when people expressed their political views through their vote and they kept it to themselves. Please do not bring politics to this game. I grow tired of running from everyone's political pressures and this game is about the only place I can go to escape the world's bullshit. I ask again...PLEASE keep politics and real world issues OUT of this game. Thank you.

1 hour ago, lemming said:

I don't think treating people respectfully is politics, it's decency.  Are we playing redside or blueside in the real world?  (Or stuck in a goldside arc?)

☝️

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Just now, Bentley Berkeley said:

Your point is about as solid as the body of an imaginary friend.

Hey, my imaginary friend is made out of steel and rocks thank you very much!

• Haha 1

unknown.png

11 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

I am curious why you feel like its just impossible for people to discuss this with civility?

Experience. Including some posts that have already been deleted on the first page of this thread.

• Like 2

Just now, Shadeknight said:

Hey, my imaginary friend is made out of steel and rocks thank you very much!

Would that not technically then be more of an inanimate object you have chose to invest and create an identity for? More like how primitive peoples would create shrines and then invest their belief in as a form of guardian or deity.

I'm not going to name names, but when the BLM movement had renewed vigor poured into it with the George Floyd protests, the SG I was in began spamming our Discord chat with hateful comments, which led to me dropping out. I was admittedly worried that since CoH was an older game, maybe the generation of players attached to the game didn't see the world the same way I did.

So, seeing Homecoming support the BLM and seeing a decent amount of quality posts in this thread makes me happy. I'm glad there are some players with the same ethic standards I would hope to expect out of Heroes playing this game. 👊🌈🏳️‍🌈🏴❤️🖤✌️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

Sure, BB

Back on topic though -

I didn't even notice in the MOTD, tbh. I habitually close those ASAP.
It's a nice thing. It's not a political statement or anything.
Yeah.

Words.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Like 1

unknown.png

Look, I Play this Game to GET AWAY from the Real world crap that is happening outside of my Walls. It seems I can not even escape this bullshit HERE. WHY??? Why do you feel the need to drag this garbage into CITY OF HEROES????? Do you know what color I am? Do you know how I feel about this shit? YOU HAVE NO IDEA what my feelings are.  I really do not appreciate having one of my last bastions of escape being invaded by REAL WORLD SHIT!!!!! I so NOT appreciate it. I DO NOT approve of it.  And I DO NOT WANT IT HERE in THIS Universe.

This is supposed to be a place where WE(YOUR FAN AND USER BASE) ARE ALL EQUAL!!!!!! And you in your statement have TAKEN THAT AWAY from us.

You have dragged an already unstable being into the public eye by making a statement that We the player base didn't need OR ask for.

You should have kept this where it belongs. IN YOUR OWN HEADS!!!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I don't think there's much different between tweaking code and tweaking backstories.

And I do realize that many people, including myself come here to escape reality. (Here being the actual game, forums are a bit different)

I try hard not to engage in game with a lot of people for that reason.