Some Kind of Download Today?

I had a power outage today after the server maintenance window, and my Tequila got rebooted as a consequence.  I noticed that it downloaded (what looked to be) a "cityofheroes-pre.exe" file in to the "hc-bin64" directory rather quickly.  

Does anyone know what this is about?   Is there something on the horizon, like the olden days of "offline patching?"

Maybe it's to fix the blinking

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19850-email-character-items-please-stop-the-blinking/

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I saw that too...  But no patch notes, which I find very bothersome.  

Even if the patch didn't/doesn't do anything significant, patch notes are how we the players know that it's WAI and not a bug or hack job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I saw the small download and repeated on second pc.  Patch notes or some background service updates?

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

15 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I saw that too...  But no patch notes, which I find very bothersome.  

Even if the patch didn't/doesn't do anything significant, patch notes are how we the players know that it's WAI and not a bug or hack job.

If it is for an exploit fix, I would not expect patch notes until the patch goes live.

I think this may be the patch that adds 30% more beef to the hotdogs in Brickstown. There have been complaints.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

15 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

I think this may be the patch that adds 30% more beef to the hotdogs in Brickstown. There have been complaints.

What about the hot dogs on Spanky’s Boardwalk in Talos?

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

55 minutes ago, Apparition said:

If it is for an exploit fix, I would not expect patch notes until the patch goes live.

I think you're right. I saw a Bug Report posted over the weekend that disappeared the next day. It was a fairly significant exploit, so I imagine they are hot fixing it, if it's possible. Ideally, they would also hot fix some of the other easy bug fixes as well, but we'll see. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

It's a minor update just on staging right now with a few crash fixes. Should be on live soon - it's client side only so won't require a server restart.

Still, patch notes of some kind would be nice - as I said above, patch notes are how we the players know that it's WAI and not a bug or hack job.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

• City Council
1 minute ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Still, patch notes of some kind would be nice - as I said above, patch notes are how we the players know that it's WAI and not a bug or hack job.

Right here,

Patch notes were ready to go but hidden until the patch was actually deployed.

It was on staging briefly so we could double check it didn't affect the recent manifest updates to clear out bad mirrors. Only people using the beta manifest would have seen it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

Right here,

Patch notes were ready to go but hidden until the patch was actually deployed.

That's today's patch to Live.  The thread is about yesterday's patch to the staging servers.

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

It was on staging briefly so we could double check it didn't affect the recent manifest updates to clear out bad mirrors. Only people using the beta manifest would have seen it.

I am using the beta manifest.

Oh, @Bopper . . . you tease!

But then, I suppose I'm one too . . . 

Tell you what.  I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!

(But seriously:  Don't.  As curious as I am to know if it was the same potential exploit, or something entirely different, it's not worth the risk.  I just hope that the Devs consider announcing the exploits when they're closed, so I can compare notes.)

Also, importantly:  Anyone who is reporting a bug which results in a potential serious exploit, please direct your bug report to a Homecoming Team member in private!  Posting them to the Bugs forum just gives other users the chance to see it before it can be tackled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maagic said:

There have never been any complaints regarding Spanky's weiners.

today you win the Internet