Fun duo concepts...

Peacemoon

So I’m trying to come up with some fun duo concepts to put to my husband to try and entice him to play with me. Wondering what ideas people have or concepts that they have used in the past?!

Some ideas I’ve had:

2 electrical cyborgs/robots - elec/elec blaster and controller. 
2 special agents like “men in black” Devices Blaster and Traps Defender. With pistols or AR or a mix. 
Husband and Wife Demons who argue a lot - both are Demon Summoners but on is /Cold and the other /Thermal. That would be a lot of demons!

2 Stalkers, perhaps with ninja blade. 
2 martial artist scrappers with identical (or reversed) outfits. Ryu and Ken?

Some sort of bioshock concept big daddy (hulk - probably a brute) teamed with a little kid character who controls it (a mind controller?)

Bonus points if the duo is a good theme as we as fun gameplay interactions!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Some friends and I ... sort of did this. WIth a degree of randomness.

Using this or something like it to create the duos.

It was ... interesting. (I ended up with a werewolf and his robot buddy Sparky for my character...)

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have been having tons of fun with a Stone Melee/Energy Armor Brute. So that could fit into your scheme. To assist, the controller could be Kinetic or Radiation or maybe Electrical Affinity. 

Are you looking for themed pairings or two characters that synergize well? As long as one or both characters provide buffs that help the team it will feel good.

2 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

Husband and Wife Demons who argue a lot - both are Demon Summoners but on is /Cold and the other /Thermal. That would be a lot of demons!

Do NOT do this!

The "children" will NEVER shut up or stop screaming!

Have you considered pairing an Electric Affinity/Beam Rifle Defender with an Electric/Kinetics Controller?

I'm thinking that combo ought to play out with a rather interesting dynamic if you're wanting to try something off the beaten (to defeat) path.

• Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Off the top of my head...

•StJ/SR scrapper and Kin/DP defender. A pair of aliens from rival species, both pretending to be human, not really pulling it off, but don’t realize how bad they are at faking it because both are completely unaware the other isn’t human. Partners in some way - cops, lawyers, whatever.

• War Mace/Rad brute, using a pipe wrench. Staff/Electric stalker with a pipe. Plumbers, taking it upon themselves to fix the clogs in the justice system! They’ll be there to save you, some time between 10 and 5.

• Sonic/Mental blaster and Thugs/electrical mastermind. A pair of washed up rockers  hoping to reignite their careers through superheroics. The thugs are either their loyal roadies, or a documentary crew filming their efforts and hopeful rise to the top. 

Edit to add: Of course, powers and ATs would be up to you. I just offered up the ones that came to mind with the concepts. Plenty of other options I’m certain would fit. ^_^

Edited by Hexquisite
  • Like 1

Back on live, my brother and I made Decoy McCoy and Decoy Hatfield.

Both were AR/Dev Blasters and they confused (annoyed) other players by running up to them and asking "Is you a Hatfield or is you a McCoy?"

"If'n ya ain't whit me. yer agin me!"

They were both dressed up to look as backwoods Hillbilly as possible.

Then, there was Decoy Damsel made by a friend of ours. I don't recall what her power-sets were.

I can't think of any specific powersets without being derivitive of the comics or movies, but two things come to mind.  Hero and sidekick, and in your case, a married couple who are superheroes on the side.  This leaves open a wide range of possibilities.  You could both be scientists who derive your powers through experimentation and gadgets.  You could have met in a secret magic organization and decided to team up.  You could both be mutants like the Incredibles, but different powers.  Lots of groovy possibilities.

As far as ATs, I duoed with my best friend several times.  We played a Tanker/Defender duo, Scrapper/Controller duo, and a Brute/Corrupter duo.  All were great.  

10 hours ago, Greycat said:

Some friends and I ... sort of did this. WIth a degree of randomness.

Using this or something like it to create the duos.

It was ... interesting. (I ended up with a werewolf and his robot buddy Sparky for my character...)

7E4DCCB6-D1CE-4AC9-8B04-04E4E3016A5B.thumb.jpeg.9bbce6fdd41a04de4893e76f74d5382b.jpeg

😳😳🤣🤣

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

10 hours ago, LiquidBandage said:

Are you looking for themed pairings or two characters that synergize well? As long as one or both characters provide buffs that help the team it will feel good.

Ideally a bit of both. I like there to be a strong theme but also interesting synergy where I can.

Retired, October 2022.

This may sound a bit strange to do a duo with two of the exact same thing, but it does pose an interesting combination when there's two people dedicated to playing them together:

Electric Affinity/Fire Blast/Dark Mastery Defenders. The goal is to get perma Soul Drain (specifically from Dark, shorter cooldown), run supportive dual Empowering and Energizing Circuits. Dual Galvanic Sentinel's will do some light work on average spawn endurance levels, and then dual Faraday Cages and dual Maneuvers (could grab dual Assaults too, but less important) with Tough/Weave. With a couple of set bonuses dual Faraday Cage will hard cap a lot of Resistances for both players and having dual Maneuvers with Weave will make it possible to pretty safely get to 24-32 Defense. They'll both be able to solo okay, but together they'll feed each other back and forth into a very aggressive duo.

Edited by Sir Myshkin
  • Like 1

Dominator and Sub I hear may be a fun combo.  You two can hash out which one is which, maybe even switch accounts from time to time, variety is the spice of life and all that.

In a more related answer my two favorite characters I play are my Mind/Nrg/Soul dominator and StJ/SR stalker.  Both great fun.  

• Haha 1

I'm guessing he has never played before as you say you are trying to entice him to play? If so I'd suggest a brute or scrapper for him to start of with. And let's face it, anything can be paired with them.

For theme, there is always the (usually mad) scientist and their creation. Something Rad or pain maybe for the scientist, and the creation could be anything, teenage genius turns their pet dog into a savage melee/SR brute for example. There's pretty broad scope where mad scientists are concerned. 😉

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

Ice Ice Baby: An Ice blaster, his wife the Ice tanker and their little bundle of joy the Ice defender.

• Haha 2

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

Pretty much all of my characters are made as half a duo with my fiance. (Duo pro tip - both take Grant Invisibility, which is better than both taking stealth and don't require two moves like Invisibility)

Usually we paired up based on origin and complementary ATs, as opposed to just theme, but the themes wouldn't be so far off - like a pair of psionic aliens (one brute, one controller).

The two most recent pairs we did were a member of the Red Torch Corps and the Blue Torch Corps, and making our favorite Pokemon as heroes to team up. (Well, actually, as villains, since they are Crobat and Glalie, not the most heroic of Pokemon.) We joked about getting other people in on that and making a Pokemon SG.

• Like 2

Not sure if you're looking more for theme or just good synergy. But if you want powerful synergy, I might recommend a Rad Armor Tank/Brute paired with a Cold Domination Defender/Corruptor. Lots of damage, lots of survivability (Cold provides all the buffs Rad Armor is missing). 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn