What's the best way to get a character Portrait?

Nothing complicated, just my toon standing there. I know I can just screencap, but I can never get the camera angle just right. I tried a screencap at the character selection screen and got nothing in the CoH screencap folder. Since there's a way to save your costume design locally, i thought there might be an app to access that. 

I built a photo booth in my base with pure white walls and extra lighting, as well as a series of steps for them to stand on to get different heights.  I then use another account while multiboxing to be the photographer, minimizing their height and giving them Hover so I can maximize their positioning.

There might be an easier way, but that's the way I've set it up for myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I use these binds...

/bind SYSRQ "screenshotui 0$$screenshot"
/bind SHIFT+SYSRQ "screenshotui 1$$screenshot"

PrintScreen key on your keyboard will then take a normal screenshot without any windows or user interface.
SHIFT+Printscreen will take a screenshot with your windows all maps and power bars etc.... This is helpful if you want your Bio or badges and bonuses to show.
You will find the photos in your /COH/Screenshots directory after.

Edited by Vulpoid
  • Thanks 1

There was a discussion (linked below) earlier in the year that had some ideas. I did some tests with the demo function and had pretty good luck.

37 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

I use these binds...

/bind SYSRQ "screenshotui 0$$screenshot"
/bind SHIFT+SYSRQ "screenshotui 1$$screenshot"

PrintScreen key on your keyboard will then take a normal screenshot without any windows or user interface.
SHIFT+Printscreen will take a screenshot with your windows all maps and power bars etc.... This is helpful if you want your Bio or badges and bonuses to show.
You will find the photos in your /COH/Screenshots directory after.

This is a hell of a lot easier than using Snipping Tool...

• 3 years later

Getting the perfect character portrait can be a bit tricky, especially if you're picky about camera angles. Screencapping is a good start, but I get what you mean about getting it just right.
For CoH, you could try using the in-game camera options. Some games have built-in features to capture character shots. It might take some tinkering to find the right angle, though.
And if you're still on the lookout for a solution, here's a suggestion. I recently stumbled upon Custom Picture Frames. They're not game-specific, but they could help you get that perfect character portrait you're looking for

Edited by Feiwester
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 hours ago, Greycat said:

This REALLY needed to be necroed. *rolls eyes* Christ.

Please explain why it’s apparently so harmful to post in an “old” thread. I’ve been trying to comprehend this for years. Feels like nitpicking about something that really doesn’t matter to me… Yet it’s so common to see people complain about it. I don’t get it. Isn’t it a waste of space to make a new thread about an old topic if the original thread still exists?  Why not keep the whole discussion in one place, rather than have tons of threads cumulating over time about the same subject…?  

Edited by Azari
  • Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Azari said:

Please explain why it’s apparently so harmful to post in an “old” thread. I’ve been trying to comprehend this for years.

Well, my initial response is because it's against the forum rules that you agree to abide by when signing up here.  That being said, I think it has more to do with the info in the thread, whether you acknowledge it or not, *is* out of date in at least some way and/or the parties involved in it may very well no longer be present. Either way, I don't see why, if they really don't want threads to be necroed, that they simply don't allow anyone to respond to a thread that hasn't had a response in over, say, 3-6 months... 

52 minutes ago, Azari said:

Please explain why it’s apparently so harmful to post in an “old” thread. I’ve been trying to comprehend this for years. Feels like nitpicking about something that really doesn’t matter to me… Yet it’s so common to see people complain about it. I don’t get it. Isn’t it a waste of space to make a new thread about an old topic if the original thread still exists?  Why not keep the whole discussion in one place, rather than have tons of threads cumulating over time about the same subject…?  

It's not, and it's one of the reasons I champion forums over all the flash-bang-pretty-fisher-price 'communication' formats. I'm on any number of forums where useful interaction might be separated by months or years, and if the participants are careful to answer "in full" it becomes a useful reference element.

But all too often, belated necro posts are inappropriate, clueless, lost, or — as in this case — simply spam.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

People around here: "What a great community we have here at HC!" (slobbering sounds ensue)

Also people around here: "God dammit who dare has a thought we had four years ago!  Fuck THEM to the abyss and back!"

• Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

2 minutes ago, roleki said:

People around here: "What a great community we have here at HC!" (slobbering sounds ensue)

Also people around here: "God dammit who dare has a thought we had four years ago!  Fuck THEM to the abyss and back!"

I like hyperbole too, but I think you're a bit off-base.  If a topic is worth discussing, it's worth creating a fresh thread for.  People can always point back to the older threads if they are worth referencing.

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

I like hyperbole too, but I think you're a bit off-base.  If a topic is worth discussing, it's worth creating a fresh thread for.  People can always point back to the older threads if they are worth referencing.

Oh, like Discord.  My mistake, we should probably start a new thread for every thought that pops into our skulls.  Or would that be forum spam?

• Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

8 minutes ago, roleki said:

Oh, like Discord.  My mistake, we should probably start a new thread for every thought that pops into our skulls.  Or would that be forum spam?

Ooh more hyperbole!  No, maybe pick a reasonable cutoff, like 30-90 days or something, and if there's been no activity on a thread since then, start a new one.

We have new people coming to the game, the universal forum mantra says read the old posts before posting.  So they do and if they post a new post talking about something old but RELEVANT to them there and now, someone in a nano-second is posting a link to the old post, but if someone comments on an old post they are necroing.  It's high horse snobbery.  We were all noobs at some point in the game and in this forum.

Now if it is just a "bump" then they are dicks . . . that is necroing and calling that out isn't snobbery.  It could be Snarky, but then again, Necro and vampires kind of go shriveled hand in shriveled hand.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Well, my initial response is because it's against the forum rules that you agree to abide by when signing up here.  That being said, I think it has more to do with the info in the thread, whether you acknowledge it or not, *is* out of date in at least some way and/or the parties involved in it may very well no longer be present. Either way, I don't see why, if they really don't want threads to be necroed, that they simply don't allow anyone to respond to a thread that hasn't had a response in over, say, 3-6 months... 

It was against the rules back on Legacy, but not here and the HC mods don't seem to mind about necro'd threads, especially if the info within is still useful. Granted, I find it fairly common that a simple word search can lead to posting in an older thread. Quite frankly, I think there are more important things to get my knickers in a twist about these days. For instance:

• Man-buns... scratch that. I used to think man-buns were stupid but then I realized one day that men have just as much right to wear their hair up out of the way as women do, besides it's not my hair so why should I even gives a rodent's backside what they do with it.
  • Women wearing inappropriate clothing... scratch that. Just because I wouldn't wear something doesn't mean I have the right to tell someone else, who is perfectly comfortable in their own body, what they should or should not wear, more power to them.
  • Men in skirts... Actually, I'm not sure if I ever cared about them wearing skirts but I do recall a story about a male USPS worker back in the day that the regs allowed the wearing of their uniform shorts only during certain months regardless of the weather, while female workers could wear skirts year-round, so he began wearing a skirt. Kudos to him for thinking outside of the box.

Don't worry so much about the little things folks.

<shrug>

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

26 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

It was against the rules back on Legacy, but not here and the HC mods don't seem to mind about necro'd threads, especially if the info within is still useful. Granted, I find it fairly common that a simple word search can lead to posting in an older thread. Quite frankly, I think there are more important things to get my knickers in a twist about these days. For instance:

• Man-buns... scratch that. I used to think man-buns were stupid but then I realized one day that men have just as much right to wear their hair up out of the way as women do, besides it's not my hair so why should I even gives a rodent's backside what they do with it.
  • Women wearing inappropriate clothing... scratch that. Just because I wouldn't wear something doesn't mean I have the right to tell someone else, who is perfectly comfortable in their own body, what they should or should not wear, more power to them.
  • Men in skirts... Actually, I'm not sure if I ever cared about them wearing skirts but I do recall a story about a male USPS worker back in the day that the regs allowed the wearing of their uniform shorts only during certain months regardless of the weather, while female workers could wear skirts year-round, so he began wearing a skirt. Kudos to him for thinking outside of the box.

Don't worry so much about the little things folks.

<shrug>

so you are okay with this?

Police hunt British tourists seen wearing Borat-style mankinis in Poland | Daily Mail Online

3 hours ago, Azari said:

because you shouldn’t necro threads, but you should also use the search function rather than making a new post because the topic may already exist

schrödinger’s forum whingers will never be pleased!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1