Am I strange?

I seem to have bit of a habit of picking powered on my alts that most others don't like or touch much.

I have  Dark/Dark Scrapper, a combo that's regarded as a bit like the short kid in class who gets overlooked all the time.

I have an Illusion / Storm Controller., A combo I have only ever seen on one other player.

I have  seen diggingbthrough the Tanker section on the forums for useful info on an Inv / EM Tank and it's like the build is almost non-existent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dafydd Hywel said:

I have an Illusion / Storm Controller., A combo I have only ever seen on one other player.

I'm not certain why this is.  I have an Ill/Storm controller. and he's no slouch.  He's a decimating Swiss army knife, and I've not even crafted sets for him yet.  Anything opponents throw at him, he has a counter to it.  Just marvelous fun, especially when you open up all his powers at once on an enemy group.

You say "strange" as if it were a bad thing....  🙂

I do tend to do some "Garbage of the Month" builds though.  

• People saying Emp's suck to solo?  Okay, Redside Empath Defender coming up.
  • People saying Regen Sucks.  Savage/Regen brute, rolled.
  • People raggin' on Trick Arrow again?  Fire Control/Trick Arrow Praetorian coming right up!

I think it's mostly a contrarian "I bet I can make that work" tendancy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I'm not certain why this is.  I have an Ill/Storm controller. and he's no slouch.  He's a decimating Swiss army knife, and I've not even crafted sets for him yet.  Anything opponents throw at him, he has a counter to it.  Just marvelous fun, especially when you open up all his powers at once on an enemy group.

I love my Ill/Storm, but I could see where people would pass by while I'm on patrol and think "My goodness, he has absolutely NO control over that mob!" when the reality is, that's just Ill/Storm doing what it does best.

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

22 minutes ago, MTeague said:

• People raggin' on Trick Arrow again?  Fire Control/Trick Arrow Praetorian coming right up!

Yeah, but are you making an Empathy/Regen MM?  Nooooooooooooo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

• City Council

You post on the forums, so by default you are very different from most players. Whether or not very different connotes strange is something you'll need to resolve for yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

I've made two 'unicorn' characters. (Characters with AT/Power Set combinations that no one had leveled to 50 at the time the devs posted their last "Here's what you guys have made so far-" lists.)

If making oddballs with combinations counter to the current meta is strange? We both are. Along with everyone else who's ever made a Unicorn. (And quite a few of us have, based on the posts in that statistics thread. XD)

• Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I have a tendency to fall in love with oddball builds and combos rolled as jokes or to take advantage of puns. 

On Victory, it was a regen/spines scrapper (Betsy Ross) made for a Fourth of July costume contest, and a rad/archery defender (William Shakespeare) made to celebrate getting the 'Bard' badge in AE.  (That badge was removed later, which meant that I dared not ever look at the character's badge list.)

Here, it's a rad/electric brute who for some reason is a jungle-girl concept (Jungle Jenny), an ice/plants blaster who I usually take to Hami raids (Ice Minstrel), a staff/regen brute (Omphale) made as an experiment to see if it was possible to build a regen brute for tanking, and who became my redside main. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

12 hours ago, MTeague said:

Oh for sure. I kinda thought about maybe doing a Ninja/TA MM, but then looked on the forum and saw everybody dumping on it so now I'm definitely gonna do it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different.

3428002F-E0A0-4B6D-9C63-AEDB3A8A54EB.jpeg

What an odd jumper. I wonder who his tailor is. Must be posh, you can't get capes on the average high street these days.

Two jumpers and a cape, it must be bloody cold.

Edited by Herotu
  • Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Energy Melee kinda got NERFED on Live and has never really been fixed to where it is a top choice. But Invincibility is a top pick, and a Tank's Offensive abilities are not the biggest deal as long as the defensive/resistance abilities are good. I had a Willpower/EM Tank on Live that was really fun to play, just required some creative slotting.

The other 2 combos seem reasonable enough, and I've seen them used effectively before.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

13 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Dark/ or /Dark anything is auto-win.  Sure, people may dismiss it as the short kid in class, but then that kid grows up to be Bill Gates, or Mr. T, or Andy Rooney or something.

Trifecta points for using those 3 persons in a logical sentence.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

13 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Dark/ or /Dark anything is auto-win.  Sure, people may dismiss it as the short kid in class, but then that kid grows up to be Bill Gates, or Mr. T, or Andy Rooney or something.

Bill Gates, super hero...?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

10 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I have a tendency to fall in love with oddball builds and combos rolled as jokes or to take advantage of puns. 

On Victory, it was a regen/spines scrapper (Betsy Ross) made for a Fourth of July costume contest, and a rad/archery defender (William Shakespeare) made to celebrate getting the 'Bard' badge in AE.  (That badge was removed later, which meant that I dared not ever look at the character's badge list.)

Here, it's a rad/electric brute who for some reason is a jungle-girl concept (Jungle Jenny), an ice/plants blaster who I usually take to Hami raids (Ice Minstrel), a staff/regen brute (Omphale) made as an experiment to see if it was possible to build a regen brute for tanking, and who became my redside main. 

Same here, and although the pun usually comes from the combo moreso than appearance, I do try to tie the costume in as well; Danzigawatt really looks like Glenn Danzig and all the pets are named after members of the Misfits/Danzig.  

As a fellow lover of oddball builds, if you haven't rolled one already, I strongly suggest a Fire/FF controller.  Slotted with KB:KD in all the right places, they are little steamrollers.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

1. You play a long-dead MMO based on classic superheroes.
  2. Which exists in defiance of all odds, reason, and financial sense.
  3. Of course you are strange!
  4. Profit!

You are in excellent company!

Welcome home!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)