Old school playing is getting rare

Diantane

it's weird to me that people think removing or nerfing AE farms would lead to an increase in available teams.

I think it's more likely that people would just stop playing or find some other way to power level and the complaining would just start anew.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Clearly we need City of Cats, and City of Dogs.

Kitty of Heroes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

7 hours ago, Johnny said:

Overlook is *exactly* the term for it. People *know* it is there, but they skip it, thinking their build will be "suboptimal," whilst neglecting the benefits of having teammates with it.

I always try to work in Recall Friend on my stealthies, which includes pretty much all of my squishies.   If nothing else you can bring forth the player whose 30 minute ATT is up. 

And this was the case 'old school' as well.  I had story completionist characters who took pride in completing missions with the bare minimum of fighting back on Victory.  This too was a characterization thing, done as much solo as teamed, in days when getting the mission complete recipe was a much bigger deal. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, johua said:

it's weird to me that people think removing or nerfing AE farms would lead to an increase in available teams.

I think it's more likely that people would just stop playing or find some other way to power level and the complaining would just start anew.

Fun fact: At least 50% of forum posts opposing AE nerfs are actually written by members of the Council working at bases on Peregrine Island.

• Haha 5

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

48 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

members of the Council working at bases on Peregrine Island

Sounds like a Council Farm...

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

11 hours ago, johua said:

think it's more likely that people would just stop playing or find some other way to power level

In fact some who prefer power leveling are already prepared.  They have alternate ae and contact/arcs ready for when/if this happens. 

Some players will often be a few steps ahead of developer nerfs.  Trying to stop players from taking advantage of the code is like chasing windmills.  Might as well focus on making it fun imho.

1 hour ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Trying to stop players from taking advantage of the code is like chasing windmills.  Might as well focus on making it fun imho.

Sometimes those turn out to be the same thing, though.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

5 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

Sometimes those turn out to be the same thing, though.

Maybe so.  Then again this thread itself (including me) is full on don quixotes trying to change playstyles in a 15 year old game. 

Most of you would hate my suggestions.  Like increasing drop rates and infamy in content and pvp zones to compete with ae.

13 hours ago, johua said:

Those who believe removing AE farms would stop power leveling are being naive and forget that power leveling existed long before there was an AE. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, johua said:

Exactly. There are a multitude of reasons for power leveling, including:

• leveling up feels too slow
  • characters are more fun at 50
  • optimizer mentality: many players just prefer the most time-efficient way of achieving whatever it is they want to achieve
  • etc.

The way I see it, very few if any of the underlying causes will be gone if power leveling is restricted, and I agree with your assessment that many people would just go to other games where they don't have to suffer through whatever it is they dislike about CoH's leveling up process. The optimizers still wouldn't do "regular teams" because joining a lvl 50 radio team would still be much more efficient than running missions <50. In my opinion, if anything, removing AE would reduce the number of available teams and most likely make the IO economy painful for average players. 

• Like 3

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, DSorrow said:

• optimizer mentality: many players just prefer the most time-efficient way of achieving whatever it is they want to achieve
  • etc.

The way I see it, very few if any of the underlying causes will be gone if power leveling is restricted, and I agree with your assessment that many people would just go to other games where they don't have to suffer through whatever it is they dislike about CoH's leveling up process. The optimizers still wouldn't do "regular teams" because joining a lvl 50 radio team would still be much more efficient than running missions <50. In my opinion, if anything, removing AE would reduce the number of available teams and most likely make the IO economy painful for average players. 

As basically a "new player" (started on Homecoming about 2 weeks ago) I have to agree with this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Backstory of my CoH/V and gaming History: Started playing CoV back in like 2005ish, quit when I got to College cause of time restraints, and friends wanting me to play WoW -_-. In my CoV time, I only got to about level 36ish on a Fire/Fire Blaster, but loved every minute of it. Since then I've played a lot more ARPGs (D3/PoE/GD/Wolcen) which all focus on fast paced Min/Maxing end game and a story you need to blow through on every character to get there. Therefore I am used to reading the story the first time and then IDGAF on any other character. And this game has given me my worst case of Altoholism. As of Writing I have the following: lvl 50, 37, 28, 27, 21, 18, 17, 15, 12, 10, 10, and 8 along with a s mattering of characters not yet past the tutorial.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As far as I am aware with CoV/CoH, there isn't much difference besides which contacts you take and the side stories they give. All of which are enjoyable, I will admit, as all the characters listed above that are below 20 I have leveled via questing.

BUT, that means in less than 2 weeks I've done the same or similar quests on 7 characters. I know your gonna tell me to just Focus on 1 character, but again: "Altoholism".  

Now that said, being able to solo farm in AE from lvl 10-50 with Spines/Fire brute in like 2 days was just pure enjoyment (for me). This has allowed me to set up another account to PL any AT character I want up a few levels and start at any level I want OR pass through some of the "empty" leveling areas where you would just be doing random side/paper/w.e missions, ideally in groups.  (I should mention that, I just had a baby so grouping and doing long missions just isn't in the cards for me atm and the quick 10-20min AE runs that I can step out of at any time and return has been the perfect situation for me.)

So in conclusion, while I know my situation is very specific, I don't think nerfing the AE is a great idea. I think there should be a push in the community to inform newer players that the bulk of the enjoyment for the game is in the actual questing process and that they should look into it if they get tired of the end game farming. Honestly, if you have 1 end game character that can farm, all others can/should be for pure enjoyment.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Reveal hidden contents

And now Mei is stalking around the room, trying her best to find the kittens that she heard, and that I have so *clearly* concealed somewhere under my desk.... XD

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Haha 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

5 hours ago, DSorrow said:

• etc.

I liked this for one main reason - Homecoming has made many, many IOs pointless. If you get a dropped IO, craft and slot it you've done the least efficient thing you can do with your resources. Make enough characters you get to this point: "@#$ew it I'll just get it to 50 and use the 1000s of merits I have from Hamidon raids to sell converters and buy everything." I'm running out of patience for storage SGs for all my attuned IOs from leveling builds.

EDIT: I have on purpose, old-school played toons with SOs and dropped IOs and no x2xp to do as many arcs as possible but you can only do this so many times when you know Ouroboros exists.

Note to self: Make suggestion for allowing a Catalyst to turn attuned IOs into Boostable ones.

Edited by Rejolt

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

7 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

... we stop taking this thread seriously now.

Why would anyone take anything posted on a gaming forum seriously?

Seems like a very bad idea IMO.

I read all forum posts in the voice of the 'leave Britney alone' guy.

Everything on gaming forums is just hot air, IME, just gamers trying to forum PvP for our collective entertainment.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Why would anyone take anything posted on a gaming forum seriously?

Seems like a very bad idea IMO.

I read all forum posts in the voice of the 'leave Britney alone' guy.

Everything on gaming forums is just hot air, IME, just gamers trying to forum PvP for our collective entertainment.

Forum PvP is the best PvP.