How old are we, as a playerbase?

RikOz

On 7/22/2021 at 2:28 AM, RikOz said:

Yeah, in WoW, it didn't take me long to figure out that I was too old for PvP. I mean, I was an "original gamer", going back to when PONG was the state of the art, but I never got into "twitch" games, or any of the fighting games. My first foray into PvP, I found myself getting slaughtered by somebody running circles around me, - II soon figured out that I was not up to competing against 14-year-olds who had much faster reflexes than me.

This saddens me. I think there's great scope for a game that can cater to the older gamer. Lest we forget, they have all the money!

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I turn 51 tomorrow, while I've mellowed out on the villainy path, I prefer global catastrophe these days to bank robbery. But, it's nice to go shake up stuff and knock over a jewelry story...ah nostalgia. 

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Dinged 40 a few weeks ago. CoH was my first MMORPG. I played the beta with some friends. I keep coming back because no other MMORPG can give me the Controller experience.

back in the days: Zukunft (EU) ... nowadays: Everlasting

12 hours ago, Ukase said:

My therapist called it "Arrested Development".  Apparently, I keep repeating my adolescence trying to get it right. 

I think the reference you're looking for is "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I think the reference you're looking for is "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up".

No, seriously. That's what she told me. I had some trauma as a kid, and I haven't really emotionally progressed since then. You can ask my ex-wife, lol. 

Additionally, while I may age in calendar years, I'm in better physical shape than when I was 30. So, I don't mind developing maturity, but I sure as shit refuse to grow old. I plan on being able to carry a bag of groceries up a flight of stairs, get up off the ground should I fall down - though I hope my balance and core strength will avoid that scenario. I also plan on being able to walk a mile in 20 minutes or less for the duration of my life. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

No, seriously. That's what she told me. I had some trauma as a kid, and I haven't really emotionally progressed since then. You can ask my ex-wife, lol. 

Additionally, while I may age in calendar years, I'm in better physical shape than when I was 30. So, I don't mind developing maturity, but I sure as shit refuse to grow old. I plan on being able to carry a bag of groceries up a flight of stairs, get up off the ground should I fall down - though I hope my balance and core strength will avoid that scenario. I also plan on being able to walk a mile in 20 minutes or less for the duration of my life. 

1. I'm rooting for you! Hope you make it!

2. But you may be surprised...

I had a similar fantasy, I was going to be the one who didn't have to take a handful of pills every day. I finally got on my spouse's insurance (had been doing without for many years, I was fine, really. Just fine) went in for a physical and caused my pc to pop her eyes a few times. Next thing I know I'm on a handful of pills and getting tested for cancer. Whoopee!

It all worked out more or less but seriously. I wish you every success. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I suspect it's a side-effect of real life.

Just dinged 50 at the end of June. Creeping up on 15 months off work. Interview for new gig scheduled for the 16th. Bah, I like bein a bum.

I feel you, I quit a job without another lined up for the first time at the start of the year and never really got bored of being unemployed.  A great opportunity just kind of fell into my lap recently and I only begrudgingly went back.  And I'm only 31 lol.

Best of luck with the interview, whether that means getting the job or not 😊

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, electric_emu said:

I feel you, I quit a job without another lined up for the first time at the start of the year and never really got bored of being unemployed.  A great opportunity just kind of fell into my lap recently and I only begrudgingly went back.  And I'm only 31 lol.

Best of luck with the interview, whether that means getting the job or not 😊

I can sympathize.  I went almost 3 years unemployed (despite sending out THOUSANDS of resumes), and was actually kind of disappointed to have to go back to work.  I even enjoyed the shutdown, because I could just lounge around, relax, read a book, etc...

Well, that's it.  As soon as I win the lottery, I'm quitting my job!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, momentarygrace said:

I was going to be the one who didn't have to take a handful of pills every day

Don't discount the pill routine so quickly.  I may not have the body or the energy of my 25 year old self.  But the one advantage I have now is a much stronger financial position.  If there's something I can buy to help me stay fit and healthy, or motivate me to do what it takes to stay fit and healthy, that's money I'm willing to spend.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

24 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

Don't discount the pill routine so quickly.  I may not have the body or the energy of my 25 year old self.  But the one advantage I have now is a much stronger financial position.  If there's something I can buy to help me stay fit and healthy, or motivate me to do what it takes to stay fit and healthy, that's money I'm willing to spend.

That's a great point!

Money spent for the betterment of myself is money well invested, always.

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

53 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I don't discount it at all! Like I said, I am taking a handful of pills now! 

My fantasy was just that, and I'm very happy to be able to get medical advice from a professional! Thanks to the doc, the pills, and my own efforts my A1C went from 12.5 to 5.2. Yay me! Yay pills! I was able to get surgery for cancer including multiple scans I could never have afforded otherwise. 

I'm very grateful that I was able to get on my spouse's insurance. I have no doubt at all it saved my life.

For those who don't have the option of insurance, I feel that. Not all of us have a life path that provides real world inf.

7 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I have the exact same philosophy! Which is why I spend my cash on really GOOD beer.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:28 PM, RikOz said:

Yeah, in WoW, it didn't take me long to figure out that I was too old for PvP. I mean, I was an "original gamer", going back to when PONG was the state of the art, but I never got into "twitch" games, or any of the fighting games. My first foray into PvP, I found myself getting slaughtered by somebody running circles around me, - II soon figured out that I was not up to competing against 14-year-olds who had much faster reflexes than me.

Think I am in the same age range and yet WoW PvP...I got called out on the WoW forums for making matches go longer. 

I've got the same general aversion to twitchfest gaming, but with WoW twitch isn't always king...or at least deviousness has its advantages. I played a Shadow Priest back before they were popular. Oh the things you could do in PvP. Hide somewhere and Mind Control someone and watch while his buddies react to the appearance of a sudden red name (because your victim gets transfered to your side while controlled) by hitting first and killing one of their own. Speaking of Mind Control, did you know if you MC someone peeking around a corner when defending the warlord in Alterac Valley you can walk them right up to the warlord, cancel Mind Control, and watch the hilarious execution that follows? And that is only second in fun to fear bombing the group gathering outside the room, causing some of them to flee in, trigger the warlord, and have him go on a killing spree.

Also in Alterac, you could get on top of the most rock formation at the more forward graveyard for the Horde (For the Horde!) and lie down. People wouldn't notice you. Alliance caps it, then once they move on, you hop down, kill the one or two defenders that got left to guard it, and recap. 

Arathi Basin had people so wrapped up in trying to kill foes they missed the point of the battleground--hold the nodes. I would ride up to the lumber mill, apply DoTs, and then Mind Control and throw people off the cliff. First off, the fewer defenders the easier it is for yourside to cap, hence the throwing them off the cliff. The DoTs were so that if they survived the fall the DoTs finished them. 

I have so many fond memories of PvP, and I was born the same year Star Trek first showed on television.

Edit: And don't get me going on what you can do with Boomkin who has thought to take cat form stealth.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I started playing 2007 after seeing FF4: Rise of the Silver Surfer, I was 15. My first character i made was inspired by Silver Surfer. Now I'm 30. It was my first MMO, but i got sucked into WoW for 18 years. I'm tired of WoW and only ever came back for an expansion, except this one that is coming out, I'm retiring it for good.

I remember looking for CoH for so long after 2012, could never find it, and found out it was closed. Didn't really have much time with it, i was itching to get back to it and build more characters, so I'm glad to finally play. Been playing on Homecoming since it went Live.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/8/2022 at 3:26 AM, The_Warpact said:

I turn 51 tomorrow, while I've mellowed out on the villainy path, I prefer global catastrophe these days to bank robbery. But, it's nice to go shake up stuff and knock over a jewelry story...ah nostalgia. 

Happy Birthday! Hope you steal yourself a nice piece of jewelry during your heist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

I have so many fond memories of PvP, and I was born the same year Star Trek first showed on television.

Then we're the same age :)

My first WoW PvP experience was entering a BG (probably Warsong Gulch) on my tauren hunter, having no idea what to expect. I got dumped in, mid-battle, and immediately found myself beset by a gnome rogue who stun-locked me while racing in tight little circles around my feet.  Aside from the stunlock, this was during WotLK when hunters still couldn't attack targets within five (ten?) yards, so I couldn't have hit him anyway.

I also eventually found PvPers in general to be a rather toxic crowd, and I didn't like being in that environment. Not all of them, of course. I actually got murdered by a gentleman, once. I was doing the PvP daily quests on the Isle of Thunder on my human ret paladin. While I was fighting a crowd of NPCs, an orc warrior strolled up. He stood aside while I killed the NPCs, and then continued to wait while I healed myself up. Only once I'd healed up did he attack me. And to top it off he didn't camp my corpse :D

When I still ran dungeons, I could always tell when the tank was a PvPer, because they always made the same mistake. Namely, forgetting that the PvP tactic of running in circles and jumping up and down utterly fails to confuse the dungeon boss's AI the way it can confuse a human opponent. So they'd have the boss spinning around in circles, which is exactly what you don't want the boss doing in a dungeon.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CherokeeMan2000 said:

I started playing 2007 after seeing FF4: Rise of the Silver Surfer, I was 15. My first character i made was inspired by Silver Surfer. Now I'm 30. It was my first MMO, but i got sucked into WoW for 18 years. I'm tired of WoW and only ever came back for an expansion, except this one that is coming out, I'm retiring it for good.

I remember looking for CoH for so long after 2012, could never find it, and found out it was closed. Didn't really have much time with it, i was itching to get back to it and build more characters, so I'm glad to finally play. Been playing on Homecoming since it went Live.

I started playing WoW in 2008, when I finally got a computer (an iMac) that could run it. So I came in fairly early in the WotLK expansion. But I never got into raiding, so I was rather disappointed with Cataclysm because there wasn't a lot to do at max level if you weren't a raider (plus, I really preferred DPS classes/specs, and they were getting really heavy-handed in trying to get more people to play tanks and healers). I got frustrated with my #2 character, my fire mage, which I had absolutely loved during Wrath. They nerfed the hell out her survivability (which is why damn near every mage player switched to Frost during Cata). It was my first encounter with the WoW devs forgetting that a character isn't going to be spending all of their time in dungeons and raids with a tank and a healer, and needs a way to survive when solo leveling. By the time I got my seventh alt to level 85, I was bored stiff with WoW/Cataclysm, and wanted a new MMO, but being a Mac user, WoW was the only one available, as far as I knew. I commented on a message board somewhere that I wished there was another MMO that would run on a Mac, and somebody pointed me to CoH.

So I came over to CoH in mid/late 2011, and it was instantly, "This is the game I've been waiting for my whole life!" I canceled my WoW sub and bought a CoH VIP sub (CoH had gone "free to play", but offered a paid sub option that had benefits). Got to enjoy the game for just over a year, and then they broke my heart and shut it down (still managed to roll 93 alts in that time, though). The shutdown announcement coincided with the launch of WoW's Mists of Pandaria expansion, so I went back for that and thoroughly enjoyed it. During MoP, my shadow priest became my new #2, replacing my fire mage, which still kinda sucked. Then Warlords of Draenor, which largely sucked but had its good points. The pre-Legion changes at the end of WoD revealed that, once again, the devs had forgotten that characters don't spend all of their time in dungeons/raids, and totally overhauled the way shadow priests worked and made them insanely frustrating for solo play. Then Legion, which I thought was freaking amazing; and Battle for Azeroth, which was somewhat less amazing.

And then ... CoH was back! OMG, I dumped my WoW sub like a crazy girlfriend and made an account here on Homecoming. I was ecstatic! Then the pandemic hit, and I was stuck at home 24/7, and even I can only play the same game so many hours a day for so many months. And I actually burned myself out a bit because I rolled so many alts in so short a time period (both resurrecting old characters from Live, and new character ideas pouring into my brain) that I ended up running the same low-level content too many times in too short of a time frame. So I took a break and went back to WoW to catch the tail end of the Battle for Azeroth and the beginning of Shadowlands. Shadowlands officially killed WoW for me. In every previous expansion, no matter how good or bad, I had always been able to count on my favorite aspect to be good and fun: Questing. I love questing. I love following and participating in an ongoing story. And I thought the questing in Shadowlands sucked. Did. Not. Enjoy. And then I got to max level, and I swear there were immediately six (I exaggerate...slightly) different currencies I had to start farming. I gave it a couple months, and then I was out for good.

I belong here.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2