How old are we, as a playerbase?

RikOz

35 here. I'd say I'm surprised so many are 10, 15, 20+ years beyond me but that's not surprising at all considering it was the same even back when the game was still live. Seems CoH just attracts the older crowd by default.

• Thumbs Up 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

57 here. Not the oldest, but some days I feel like the slowest.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

1 hour ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Seems CoH just attracts the older crowd by default.

Or a great many of the younger crowd are just overly finicky about graphics quality.  Ironic as Minecraft dominated a good bit of this last decade. As a great many of us cut our gaming teeth on 4-bit, 8 color, something like COH is something to be grateful for.  

I'm in my late 40s.  But think your data will be skewed.  I don't know when the cut-off is, but I know of nobody in my children's generation who read forums.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I started playing just after launch when I was 11, back in 2004. haha. My dad got the game for my birthday not realizing it was an MMO at the time. We've always played as a family until the servers shut down, and now we're playing together again. I'm 28 now.

(I knew this was a game for old people, but I didn't realize HOW old everyone was. 😛 )

• Thumbs Up 2

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

• Thumbs Up 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Mid-fifties.  And I say that without irony - I stopped keeping track years ago.  I have to do the math these days when I'm called up on to state my actual age.

However, I do know that I was 40 (plus a handful of months) when I started playing CoH, mainly due to life-changing events that happened when I was 40 (plus a handful of months).

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

Started getting burial insurance junk mail, makes me wonder if someone knows something I don't! I'm only 50 damnit!

I started getting burial junk mail 20 years ago.

I guess they think I'm already dead though, since I'm not getting it any more.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

Ya, that came as kind of a rude shock to me, too.

I'll say this: I'm still not clear what a pokemon is. And I don't care enough to google it. (I also don't need anyone to tell me. I like not knowing.) 
I can't remember how old I was when I started playing...issue 3, sometime around Christmas was when I picked the game up at Circuit City, now out of business. I know I'm 54 now. 

It's strange. I know my father, at my age would have never spent so much as 30 minutes playing a computer game. He saw the computer as a tool. Turned his on with a key. An IMSAI-VDP80, damn thing was 4 feet long and almost 3 feet high, and maybe 3 feet wide. No mouse, just a keyboard and a floppy disk that was actually floppy. 

Back in those days, the most controversial thing was the sound of a toilet flushing on All in the Family. I even remember when Ron Howard (Richie Cunningham) was the star of the show, Happy Days, and had a big brother, Chuck, who disappeared early in season 2, and was even portrayed by more than one actor. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

i switched phone numbers 3 years ago.  from the junk calls i think the guy was dying.  they still think he is hanging on and waiting to be scammed.  no one that messages calls me with junk knows my name lol

Oy! 59 next month. When I think of all the time I've wasted on video games that weren't City of Heroes, I feel sad.

Thank the gods it's back! And better than ever!

• Thumbs Up 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)