Why not just use a bubble?

quill

I think that I've mentioned before that I have a Force Field / Beam Rifle Defender on each of the servers. They're a ton of fun to play.

First I bubble everyone, then I run around acting like a blaster for 2 minutes. Occasionally I'll use Aid Other on someone, but that's pretty rare.

Is Force Field the best set in the game? No. Would I be ok if it got buffed? Sure. But is it the boring set that no one wants on their team the way it's being portrayed in this thread? Absolutely not.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Again, none of these observations amount to useful data, and some are quite faulty. A player’s HP bar is not that well correlated to their defense attribute. I am positive that I can survive better with 20-30% defense and the rest of my build geared towards offense than a less experienced player that got to 45% defense with the help of the forums.

Fair enough, I suppose I'll have to find some way of proving that Resistance and Defense IOs are typically 2x to 5x the cost of shit IOs.  It seems an impossible task, but I'm sure I put my mind to it, I can find some way of correlating demand for something to its general employment by a given population.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Just now, roleki said:

Fair enough, I suppose I'll have to find some way of proving that Resistance and Defense IOs are typically 2x to 5x the cost of shit IOs.  It seems an impossible task, but I'm sure I put my mind to it, I can find some way of correlating demand for something to its general employment by a given population.

Or, instead of talking about impossible tasks, you can just admit that this isn’t a verifiably true position at this time 🙂

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

To be fair, there are actually a lot of situations where being able to instantly softcap your teammates across a wide area has great utility.

In those situations there is one powerset that shines above all others. It is Force Fields Vengeance.

On a defender, fully enhanced Maneuvers + Vengeance gives +44.5% def to all. It also provides a small heal, damage and tohit buff. Supposedly, it's even powerboost-able like force fields shields are.

"But Miss M," you say, "unless someone dies you can't use it!" Well, here's the beauty of the situation. If nobody dies, clearly the shields were not needed and a forcefielder would've been superfluous anyway. If someone does die then the vengeance will prevent any further deaths. So the difference between vengeance and force fields is one dead leeroy jenkins.

Use Vengeance. Available at your nearest trainer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, roleki said:

No, no, Poison is pretty awesome once you've got it all together... it's basically a primary amplifier; if your primary was kind of weak, Poison props it up a bit.  If your primary is ridiculous as-is, it's ridiculous cubed with Poison.  It's one of my favorite Controller secondaries, turns everything into a truck. 

I think about recreating the character at times. Played him strictly solo and did not take a travel power. Kind of a Punisher knockoff.

4 hours ago, Seigmoraig said:

Range enhancements are amazing in cone powers, but they do little to nothing in anything else. Swift and Hurdle can't take anything other than +run speed/+jump, not something that helps you deal damage, not to mention that these are incidental bonuses you get from slotting defensive/heal/endurance sets. I usually reserve CJ/Hover for single enhancements that gives global bonuses since the rest of what they give it tiny. Adding procs to an Iceblast type power is pretty basic for dealing damage and I don't see why you wouldn't do it while still getting maneuvers, tough and weave

You missed the key phrase at the end

6 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

maximize DPS in different ways based on preferred play style.

• Range enhancements let you reach out and bitch slap the enemy first outside 80 range, calling collect and putting them down
  • Swift and hurdle increase speed with generic, you put the IO sets in sprint.
    • Unsuppressed movement at this point
  • Blasters have this thing called /XYZ Manipulation secondaries, the official term is "Chew bubble gum, drink caffiene, and kick ass."
    • "Sadly, hyped on caffeine and out of gum" is the other term, followed by "Shit man, didn't mean to hit you that hard"
  • Quick movement to bitchslap blapping range from 100 range with that range enhacement to "oops, you head was where my fist was" melee range.
  • CJ you can slot quite a few from defense sets, and IO travel sets, to maximize speed movement
    • See unsuppressed movement
  • Secondary effect damage procs help Ice or Dark blast, Fire blast gets nothing but you can maximize both range and melee with the speed to from here to there.  
  • Fire would benefit from everything listed except the damage procs.  If you want to play different.  With soft cap defense and perma hasten.

I have rolled 2 dominators recently, picked up flight.  I abhorred flight since 2004 because of hover speed and flight's drift....now they stack....and only better with Evasive Maneuvers.  One dominator has 48.5% soft cap to smash/lethal, so I can turn off hover if I want ground movement in caves.  They don't have range enhancements, but different playstyles where the Dark/Ice has Dark's 2 pets and ice blast where the Dark/Psi has only 4 control powers but a mix of PBAoE, Cone, Single target damage in the secondary.  Both have the Ice Mastery, with hibernate for recovery and Hoarfrost for extra hitpoints; one has Sleet and Ice Storm slotted for damage (both) but the damage against a 54 is tiny so the debuff slow/resist are minute anyway.  No incarnate on them yet either.

I have a Trick arrow corrupter, most of the debuffs can reach out to almost 100 with range enhancements.  So, with oil slick or glue arrow slowing them down they can't get close enough while debuffing everything else...plus the team mates in front of me.

Two brutes that feel more like tanks with a higher damage cap, so kind of meh without a smashy smashy feel to it.

Trying to get teleport to work with a character concept, but can't find an AT/Prim/Sec that fits my needs.  Something different, outside theme which I only ever used on 1 character on life.

They are not the WTF iPWN! BBQ!?!?!?!?! at damage or tanking or control but they get the job done in very different but clunky ways.  And it works.

Edited by Outrider_01
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

5 hours ago, arcane said:

SR can cap all resistances but psi (can’t remember about toxic). One of the best armor sets in the game rn, easily 🙂

Maybe after scaling resists kick in, but before that you can be 1 shot by some things, though you can get your base up enough to survive it. I think I have a build where I did that with most if not all resists.

6 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Maybe after scaling resists kick in, but before that you can be 1 shot by some things, though you can get your base up enough to survive it. I think I have a build where I did that with most if not all resists.

Psi and Toxic are both unresisted by SR's scaling resistances.  For that matter SR has no defense against either as well.  If those damage types don't have a position it's going to hurt.  Fortunately both tend to have a position which SR almost certainly has capped defense against.  Purely typed attacks of either Psi or Toxic are exceedingly rare for which my SR characters are quite grateful.   Basically while both Carnies and Arachnos use Psi and Toxic attacks what always concerned my Claws/SR was DE and Rularuu for their crazy To Hit buffs which make a laughing stock out of anyones defenses. 

*wanders off wondering if Barrier+Elude+softcap would be enough ... maybe ... for 10 seconds perhaps 😜*

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Players haven't been able to be one-shot since... I dunno, issue 4 or something like that? A one-two punch, perhaps, but the odds of being hit twice in a row by even a +4 AV are like... just north of 1% if you have 45% defense. Does it happen sometimes? Yep. Does it happen often? Not remotely.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

20 minutes ago, macskull said:

Players haven't been able to be one-shot since... I dunno, issue 4 or something like that? A one-two punch, perhaps, but the odds of being hit twice in a row by even a +4 AV are like... just north of 1% if you have 45% defense. Does it happen sometimes? Yep. Does it happen often? Not remotely.

This also ... with the provision you're only protected when at full health.  Even 1 hit point off full health and it can seem like you're one-shot.  If I'm not mistaken DoT can also kill defeat you.  But it has been a long time, memories are fuzzy.

One of the last and more memorable defeats on my main (the aforementioned Claws/SR) was against Reichsman when he clobbered her with a one-two for about 1800 total health.  I had around 1750 at that time.  It inspired her last Live build which had just over 2100 health.

PS:  And even there Reichsman benefitted from stoopid player ... the first blow stunned me, scrapper-locked I'd not hit PB which made the second blow far easier to land.   Oops.

Edited by Doomguide2005

DoT will do it, but it's gotta be an attack that takes off almost your entire bar on the first go and then rapidly follows it up with damage ticks. A reasonably quick person should be able to easily pop a few greens in between the initial damage and any follow-on DoT though. I do like SR's not needing to invest heavily in building for defense which allows you to focus those resources elsewhere, like resistance or HP.

• Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 9/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, Erratic1 said:

People creating Emps and  Emps being sought after are two different things. I honestly cannot recall the last time I was in a group with an Emp though to be fair, as most of what they do is heal health and endurance its not something that is going to stick out. 

I do not practice powerset discrimination, accept anyone to any group I form, and never hassle anyone about their choice in builds. But frankly, were I picking, Emp would be near the last powerset I'd invite, just ahead of Poison--too little brought to the table compared to other powerset options that were open. And heck, I'd likely invite the Poison user first just because that's a hard road to travel (having played an AR/Poison corruptor at one point).

There was absolutely a time where Kins(because SB and Fulcrum) and Stone tanks(because they were night killable) were absolutely looked for when doing certain things. Now, the game has changed and Stone tanks aren't all that, and yes, during HC there has a been a lot less of anything specific called out, but there absolutely was a time when things were different. I have run numerous configurations with groups as I ran a SG back on live, but how much support was looked for was vastly depending on what the team was showing it could handle. That's about the only time I cared about team makeup.

(remembers a PuG in Hollows with a FF and Sonic, fun times)

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I only have one FF character and said character has none of the ally-only shields. Then again, she's also Energy Blast and I'm building her to use as much knockback/knockdown as possible in addition to Detention Field instead so I'm sure she'd be hated by default even with ally bubbles.

But since I mostly solo, I don't really care. Energy Torrent, Wall of Force, Explosive Blast, etc are just plain fun to use in rotation. Who needs defense when everything's being knocked over all the time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

47 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

I only have one FF character and said character has none of the ally-only shields. Then again, she's also Energy Blast and I'm building her to use as much knockback/knockdown as possible in addition to Detention Field instead so I'm sure she'd be hated by default even with ally bubbles.

But since I mostly solo, I don't really care. Energy Torrent, Wall of Force, Explosive Blast, etc are just plain fun to use in rotation. Who needs defense when everything's being knocked over all the time?

Sounds like a good time! 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

I mean, sure. But 2 power picks that can both take lotg for frees while giving your team a little cushion with a once-every-5-minute-push seems odd to skip, given that well there arent really that many powers worth picking...  unless youre totally solo, I suppose... even then I bet theres still room lol 

1 hour ago, kiramon said:

even then I bet theres still room

No room in the concept for bubbles that are permeable, so no ally shields and I'm pretty sure Dispersion is off the table too. I'd have to look at her again to be sure on that last one.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

Psi and Toxic are both unresisted by SR's scaling resistances.  For that matter SR has no defense against either as well.  If those damage types don't have a position it's going to hurt.  Fortunately both tend to have a position which SR almost certainly has capped defense against.  Purely typed attacks of either Psi or Toxic are exceedingly rare for which my SR characters are quite grateful.   Basically while both Carnies and Arachnos use Psi and Toxic attacks what always concerned my Claws/SR was DE and Rularuu for their crazy To Hit buffs which make a laughing stock out of anyones defenses. 

*wanders off wondering if Barrier+Elude+softcap would be enough ... maybe ... for 10 seconds perhaps 😜*

Elude on its own is all the def you need. What you want is to layer it with other things. I usually go with rebirth for the heavy healing to back up my near perma elude. I use phase shift to cover the down time (if I use agless I have perma elude but lack the handy healing, and phase shift is actually the best oh shit button anyone can have. Yes we have to waste powers on the stealth powers that dont do much else for an SR, but hey I hover in a fight to so it does add a touch to the total def.  Finally its really about the primary with SR. a Dark Melee/ SR utterly laughs at AVs, especially melee ones.

Claws lol, that is for regen users man. Claw on SR is about as gimp a pairing as you could take, and should not expect to push into the realm of meta builds reliably with it. You certainly should not expect to be a match for cosmic foes like Rul with finger nails and agility;)

• Confused 2

I haven't taken Elude in forever.  That part of the post was more to point at the insane quantity of their to hit buffs.  If I was already soft capped, popped both Elude and Barrier I'd have enough defense for about the first 10 seconds or so to floor their to hit chance which before my defense came into play is sitting at 50 (base)+100%(their inherent buff).  So yes for a great deal of content Elude by itself enhanced would be sufficient.  However for most content assuming I've slotted and using her toggles and passives etc. I'm already at the softcap and Elude is wasted.  Her build is extremely sturdy and can and did handle pretty much any content at +4/×8 and unless I did something really dumb like I did against Reichsman pretty much never died.  She does use Rebirth