The secret zone events of Nova Praetoria

Veracor

So we all know (or at least badgers know) that Nova Praetoria has a zone event called The Protest where you fight either seers or civillians.  What people don't know is that there's a hidden second event in this zone!  I looked into this a year ago and dug around the files for a better explanation, and then promptly forgot about it after making a quick summary of my finds on a Discord somewhere.  The recent discussion of Praetorian Hamidon here on the forum reminded me of it, so here it is:

It started off with someone on another Discord mentioning they ran into a weird popup in the middle of nowhere in Nova Praetoria.  I checked it out and noted that this popup looked suspiciously like the default text of an iTrial or zone event box, with a timer that continually went up:

event-popup.jpg.ff613ba737f57375b2337a65260d36b4.jpg

It's still there today.  If anyone thinks I'm goofing on them, here's the location to check it out ingame:

event-location.jpg.96b22df0e073647f547472ce92863cae.jpg

On top of this building, there's a rectangle of 4 square-like vents.  On the east-most one, stand in the center of it and then jump/hover about 20 feet straight up to get the popup (this screenshot is facing due west).

event-location2.thumb.jpg.c9783295e5bf170daceffb40d5f7d8d8.jpg

So what is this second hidden zone event?  Judging from its text and volume trigger size/placement, it was probably only intended for the developer to check its progress when testing it.  When I asked, some people on the Discord mentioned they distinctly remember Hamidon's tentacles flailing in the distance of the zone on live, but nobody knew how it was done.

Wanting the full answer, I dug into the files to get a detailed explanation of what this was and I got pretty confused when I found there was a third zone-wide event for Nova Praetoria that was never implemented!  It appears the original developers were looking to make a Devouring Earth invasion event in Nova Praetoria but didn't come close to finishing it -- just some bits and scraps that reused existing mapmarkers.  They had retooled this event into the Hamidon tentacle waving that people remembered from live, and that is indeed the event tied to this mysterious popup window.

To avoid retyping, this is the summary of the two hidden events I sent to the Discord before forgetting about it for a year:

event-summary.thumb.jpg.91a11e071d1dd32d88fd4495b6c2f221.jpg

So there it is, the hidden second zone-wide event in Nova Praetoria: Kill 12 seers and 100 police within 10 minutes and you get to see tentacles waving in the distance for 22 seconds.  Your memories from live were not false!  The truthHamidon is out there!

Bonus screenshot: The tiny physical size of the zone event volume.  It fits only one player, or rather their feet, since that seems to be how volume triggers work.  Crazy to think that someone actually stubbed their toe here on accident!

event-size.jpg.f289650479b0edd719495fc98350486a.jpg

Thank you for coming to my Praetorian TED talk about "???" and "What is this?"

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

6 hours ago, Veracor said:

........they distinctly remember Hamidon's tentacles flailing in the distance of the zone on live.....

This totally happened on live, as I remember seeing it on Goldside launch week and thinking it was just a cool, random background animation....or the devs launched it whenever they wanted. My "OldManBrain" still has some memory cells left! Thanks for finding @Veracor!

17 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

(while remaining in this location?)

I hope it is unnecessary. Maybe, one team member stays in that location while others rough up the PPD and Seers?

edit

one more: Is there any progress bar?

Edited by huang3721
info

Ok, once you fill that bar it vanishes and then...cue hunting for a tentacle or whatever. Didn't see one that time.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

See now I'm curious.  Are there similar for Imperial and Neutropolis?

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

It's entirely possible that even if the conditions are met, that it still waits for the full 10 minutes before making the tentacles wave.  It's also possible that if the 10 minutes pass without it happening that it waits 30 minutes to start the next attempt at it.  Someone did confirm shortly after I made that Discord summary that the tentacles could wave, but they didn't mention how long they waited for it to happen.  Since the counter only shows the 100 police defeats, it might be easiest to test this by defeating the 12 seers in the Protest event first so that you can check back at the popup progress window for how many police are still needed, then watch the horizons on the 100th defeat.

I'd have to go digging again to see if there's a similar event for Imperial City and Neutropolis, but it's been a year.  I do vaguely recall seeing that scrapped DE invasion event being referenced in the IC and Neut files.  Might have just been something very early in design similar to Rikti/zombie invasions.

6 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

1. Proceed to the location of the cube

2. Defeat 12 Seers & 100 PPD (while remaining in this location?)

3. Success - Watch the Hamidon arms flail around

Shouldn't need to go to the location of the cube to start or progress it; it's supposed to run on its own every 30 minutes.  It appears that's just where they decided to shunt a possibly-mandatory progress window for the zone event (which they wanted hidden).  Or maybe the developer put it there on purpose to make sure the event was working, then forgot to remove it afterwards?  The latter seems more likely with how it is perfectly situated above the center of a square texture.  We may never know the real reason for the cube's existence.

• Thanks 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

7 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

So, lemme get this straight. I need to do the following to get this event to activate:

1. Proceed to the location of the cube

2. Defeat 12 Seers & 100 PPD (while remaining in this location?)

3. Success - Watch the Hamidon arms flail around

See: the Tannis easter egg in Borderlands 2. 😄

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Any devs care to chime in on what they see with this event on the back end? Is it left over testing? Is it supposed to be an event, but was never finished?

I really have no idea who does zone work or modifications so I'll just tag 'em all @Faultline @Captain Powerhouse @Cobalt Arachne @Piecemeal

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• Developer
2 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Any devs care to chime in on what they see with this event on the back end? Is it left over testing? Is it supposed to be an event, but was never finished?

It's a real thing and is active right now; Just a weird easter egg though, essentially.

There's a Hamidon tentacle in Nova Praetoria that sits hiding in the trees somewhere outside the sonic fence, it waits for 12 Seers and 100 PPD to be defeated within 10 minutes of the first being defeated and if you get them all in time, it pops out of the trees and flails around a bit for awhile.

If the event is successful, it goes onto a 30 minute cooldown before returning to the stage where it waits for the defeats.

If the event fails, and you don't get the defeats within 10 minutes, it resets back to the stage where it waits for the defeats and the 10 minutes start again after the first new defeat.

These are all internal timers, there's no way to tell in-game. As far as I can tell, kills anywhere in the zone should count.

• Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

1 minute ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

It's a real thing and is active right now; Just a weird easter egg though, essentially.

There's a Hamidon tentacle in Nova Praetoria that sits hiding in the trees somewhere outside the sonic fence, it waits for 12 Seers and 100 PPD to be defeated within 10 minutes of the first being defeated and if you get them all in time, it pops out of the trees and flails around a bit for awhile.

If the event is successful, it goes onto a 30 minute cooldown before returning to the stage where it waits for the defeats.

If the event fails, and you don't get the defeats within 10 minutes, it resets back to the stage where it waits for the defeats and the 10 minutes start again after the first new defeat.

These are all internal timers, there's no way to tell in-game. As far as I can tell, kills anywhere in the zone should count.

Lightning fast response! Thank you for your time answering my silly questions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Is it something the current devs could bring to full life?

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

You know what would be interesting if you trigger the tentacles and that would spawn a couple waves of DE attacks. After defeating the DE that would spawn a Lady Gray TF size hami in the zone. Defeat the hami and get 40 merits, 4 emp, or 1 hami-o.

• Like 2

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

2 hours ago, Dazl said:

You know what would be interesting if you trigger the tentacles and that would spawn a couple waves of DE attacks. After defeating the DE that would spawn a Lady Gray TF size hami in the zone. Defeat the hami and get 40 merits, 4 emp, or 1 hami-o.

I think with Praetorian Hamidon, it would probably be more ideal to summon a GM level Avatar of Hamidon instead of our giant single-cell Hamidon from Primal Earth.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

18 hours ago, Six-Six said:

@Darmian Did you know about this? 

He likely created it.:-)

• Haha 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I tried to trigger this event out of curiosity but I ran into a issue.  Where the hell are the Seers in Nova?  I ran up and down the whole zone while my timer was running and I could only find maybe four of them outside of the Protest event, which i'm not sure the event Seers even count.  You'd think they've be all over the Magisterum or near the Precints, but nope. Nada.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.