A max level character has never been my goal

Diantane

3 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

And the big concern is that the developers will think that everyone plays the game that way and change the game to suit that playstyle.

The developers have direct access to see exactly how people's  characters are slotted (what percentage use IOs), how many are 50, and so on.  The oddities of the forum are just that but not going to sway the developers.

20 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

This is OP’s least offensive post I’ve seen, so either that’s personal progress, or the troll bot algorithm has gone chaotic.  Either way, thumbs up!

Years of therapy teaches me to assume the least offensive interpretation of events. So thumbs’ up!

• Thumbs Up 3

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I play all my alts to 50 eventually since there's different synergy depending on what power choices happen.  Almost all get a respec at 50.  If I really want to play them more, I'll outfit them with sets, if they're OK, generic IOs, not sure, they're still waiting on that respec.

Of course, I also have my spreadsheet of chars where I'm slowing filling in their various stat accolades, etc...

5 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

What do we all think the odds are that he actually reads these well-crafted and thoughtful replies? Honestly?

The purpose behind trolling, for the troll, is the enjoyment they get from stirring up trouble. So yeah. I'll take that 50,000 Quatloo bet that he reads every single one of these threads while laughing and twirling his mustache, or something similar.

4 hours ago, arcane said:

To the next GM that comes through telling us to be polite and helpful, trying the same strategy hundreds of times with no evidence of success is insanity 😉 perhaps you should instead join us in suggesting the OP learn to integrate feedback.

Yeah, I just don't understand this behavior on their part. Let me see if I can figure out the thought process here:

GM: "Hmmmm... I see this guy has posted troll thread number 137,482. People are responding and giving him good advice. Others are criticizing him because he's making statements about game mechanics that are obviously false and because he clearly isn't taking the good advice that others are offering. I know what I'll do! Instead of warning the troll to stop trolling, instead I'll post in the thread and politely remind people that if they don't remain civil that I'll be banning them. Because ignoring the trouble maker while warning the people who aren't breaking the rules seems like a great idea!"

Yeah, I clearly don't understand their point of view.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

• City Council

Perhaps, if you think someone is a troll who reads all your replies while twirling their mustache, you would be well-served by just not replying. If a troll trolls in the forest and nobody is around to reply to it, does it cause a flame war? No. (I also note that there's a wonderful ignored users function that you can access in the dropdown menu that arises from clicking your username. Just a thought.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Thumbs Down 3
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

7 hours ago, Six-Six said:

The main game for me is the character creation screen. The "one" afterwards is just a perk.

You win the day in my book.

8 hours ago, Diantane said:

CoH gives us thousands of combinations to try. My goal is to have fun, but also to look for good synergies.

Good for you.

There are a lot of happy places in the game. I like some of the zone mini games best, but that's me. Just making characters can also be fun for folks, I totally get that. I also like fiddling with MIDs and dialing in a build.. but Incarnates I find tiresome (I do have T4s).

The heck with all the haters, you do you.

Keep having fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, GM Widower said:

Perhaps, if you think someone is a troll who reads all your replies while twirling their mustache, you would be well-served by just not replying. If a troll trolls in the forest and nobody is around to reply to it, does it cause a flame war? No. (I also note that there's a wonderful ignored users function that you can access in the dropdown menu that arises from clicking your username. Just a thought.)

Meh, if your policy is that the troll can do whatever he wants, I don’t care to walk on eggshells with my response either. Seems only fair.

This “only retaliation is punished” style of moderation is something I’ve seen before, and it didn’t make anyone happy on that much bigger forum either. I ultimately left that place because the moderators did nothing to clean up toxic threads besides give infractions to irate respondents.

Give me a forum ban if that’s a problem. Because I am not about to coddle this OP. I genuinely tried to help them dozens of times before we wound up here, and they gave us all the finger.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GraspingVileTerror said:

The point is that there is a third option.  It's not just "be nice" or "be irate."

It's:  "Let the thread die a quiet death, because no one is obligated to reply to every thread."

(1) other people might actually take Dian’s wisdom to heart if it isn’t thoroughly trashed, and we have to team with those poor souls.

(2) the “leave it be and go outside” argument will never work on a tru forum warrior 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@PeregrineFalcon I only asked because I know people of that age and lifestyle chapter, and there may just be more "shouting this into the void because I can" aspect to these threads rather than any sort of intentional trolling or mean-spirited-ness. 

Diantane shows no willingness to entertain any process or thought experience other than their own, I think we can all agree on that. On that same point, @Troo I don't honestly know if they're actually having any fun at all if you read the threads. So. That advice is moot. 

As for the decent suggestion from @GM Widower to simply ignore the poster, I say...why? I enjoy the break from lazy build requests. Variety, spice, edsedderah. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

22 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Quick bit of math . . . 

How many helpful posts are there in these forums with good advice?

How many posts have bad advice, regardless of the source user?

I think new players will be fine, simply from law of averages.

Probably so.

But none of this gets to the root of the issue with GM Widower’s recommendation: if Diantane is freely allowed to spew his own garbage, why are we being admonished for responding in kind? Idk what you know about humans, but we get awfully hung up on issues of fairness from authorities.

You can say “don’t respond” all you want, but, on the forum I briefly mentioned above, that moderation strategy led to significant departures by core members, because it was made abundantly clear to us that the troll was not to be admonished as we were; this was just a rigged game for them to exploit indefinitely while respondents racked up bullshit warnings that were, for good reason, not particularly respected.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This response isn't for the OP, who frankly has a habit of wildly vacillating commentary. It is for pretty much everyone else in the thread.

I too, have a smorgasbord of chars somewhere between 30 and 45. I do not exactly abandon them. Its more like, lets try something new and neat and fun. I may not feel the need to max that char out at all.

An example is my seismic blaster, which frankly, is fun entirely without ios or set ios. It does what the set was intended: egregious giant rocks of doom everywhere all the things. Moar damage, moar rechargez, moar whatever doesnt increase this fundamental joy. Every single attack has awesome telegraphed from on high! It is an ideal example for me of brain-off play.

That ultimately is my goal: brain off. 

Some chars need a lot of loving to get to the brain off state. My stone/dm tank for instance, is stupid fun, but to get to that brain off level of badassery, took a full on build, slot, and catalzyed stack of enhs. It too, is just as brain off fun as the seismic blaster. Of the two, I feel more "rewarded" with the tank, but no more "happy" with it than the rock tossing tosser of rocks, destroyer of worlds. Both tickle me just fine. 🙂

So ultimately, while the OP may wander all over the map for coherence, this is something I actually understand for once. I definitely have no illusions about how awesome x AT is or not; they are all equally awesome (except masterminds and squids, which I just cant get into 😐, but other people certainly can with extreme success ) and with care and feeding can do extraordinary things. But sometimes, the pretty pixels are all the extraordinary you need! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, arcane said:

But none of this gets to the root of the issue with GM Widower’s recommendation: if Diantane is freely allowed to spew his own garbage, why are we being admonished for responding in kind? Idk what you know about humans, but we get awfully hung up on issues of fairness from authorities.

Three points for consideration:

1. There are different levels of "being wrong" but saying "here is how I play" cannot really be wrong because that is how a person plays. May not be your, my, the majority's cup of tea but it does not have to be. However a person view can be illogical or self-inconsistent.  Diantane has a built a certain reputation which colors how their posts are received, particularly with regards to facts, but Diantan did open their post with, "The following is just my opinion and is not the way to play by everyone.
  2.  It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. I tried to be underscore where I thought there were flaws in the OP without actually attacking the person.
  3. There is a review of the new Seismic Blast set by the same user which is a step up on the "wrongness" ladder. I ignored it hoping it would sink into oblivion but for those that have not, pointing out the flaws is not something which is out of step with what I am taking GM Widower's advice to be (could have been phrased better), which is to ignore trolling. But pointing out factual errors I am pretty sure still fair game. 
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you believe someone is trolling, report it.

And look . . . not to make this some kind of e-clit measuring contest, but when it comes to issues of fairness with authority figures and not trusting the GMs or the Devs due to a history of clandestine behaviour and gas-lighting, I damn well feel VERY strongly about wanting to hold them accountable.

But in the here-and-now of this particular thread?  

GM Widower is right.

And I fucking -hate- to encourage people to use the ignore function.  But trying to shame or shout down someone who posts that way which sets off so many of you with foaming mad trips, troll or not, it's ultimately smoother for everyone to flag and move on.

Because the moment you target someone with vitriol, you become the person the GMs -have- to admonish.

I'd like to discuss the topic of "does 50 actually matter/is 50 worth even bothering with," but I'm not sure this thread will necessarily recover.

But, hey!  Thank you for the on-topic post, @Hew!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

One of the biggest issues for me is the "early draw" of a powerset vs its long-term appeal.  Some sets mature earlier than others, and that can make getting into that character easier, while others either need certain later powers or slotting in order to truly come into their own.  CoH has a fairly good mix of both, but it can definitely be an uphill battle to see come through to completion.  I consider myself a patient person, but if I spend most fights either waiting for my powers to come off of cooldown, then I'm going to consider that character a fail, in terms of power performance.  A good costume or concept can sometimes help you over that hump, but I frequently find myself looking toward the next idea that may perform more to my liking, instead of sticking with one that is struggling...

Judging by some of my posts still being around, I think there are plenty of messages which some GMs don't like but are still around.

But, ok.  Way off topic now.  I'mma stop.  I'll poke in later to see if we're on track with the discussion on the validity of caring about level 50, and then post if things look to be course corrected.

(Hey.  GMs . . . it's the holidays, so don't put too much thought in to this suggestion yet . . . but maybe some time in January we can look in to doing a thread specifically on the discourse surrounding administration and moderation.  Not a pretty prospect, I imagine, but it might be worthwhile airing some stuff out and investigating some policy review in a public space.  At the very least it might help us avoid these tangents in otherwise interesting threads.)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, GM Widower said:

(I also note that there's a wonderful ignored users function that you can access in the dropdown menu that arises from clicking your username. Just a thought.)

Hey, I'm ok with that response.

Please make sure that the next time someone reports my post because "muh feelz was offended" that, instead of deleting my posts and giving me a warning, you simply tell them to ignore me. Cause that's what we're doing now, right?

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

12 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Judging by some of my posts still being around, I think there are plenty of messages which some GMs don't like but are still around.

I'm pretty sure you haven't been posting in these threads. "Not nice" posts get deleted and then the thread gets locked.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Hey, I'm ok with that response.

Please make sure that the next time someone reports my post because "muh feelz was offended" that, instead of deleting my posts and giving me a warning, you simply tell them to ignore me. Cause that's what we're doing now, right?

QFT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's like I tell my kids: I don't like it when you're *acting* like an entitled moron. 

*You* are not an entitled moron. That would be mean-spirited-ness to say. 

• Haha 2

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter