Puzzled...why?

Ukase

1 hour ago, tidge said:

I expect no less from an iBot.

Completely off topic but a bit of color for this.  The original name was a bit of a poke fun at all the forum players that constantly complain about players that "bot" in online games.  And since I work in the robotics field I thought it would amuse me to see them try to complain about me playing the game.  And mostly because the iPod was popular and everywhere in those years.

And now back to the thread...

@Faultline hit it with that post.  I am not annoyed with the changes because I like that the HC devs are doing things to improve upon the game.  The gripe I have is that the badge requirements were changed in a way that negates the use of them as benchmarks.  I also did not agree with it when the original devs did it so the fact that it was done before changes nothing in my opinion.  As I stated prior I can only hope that the changes made will add new things to earn that actually reward those of us that like our super powered characters with all powers available.

And I think @Ukase has a valid point in that I hope there is a way in the future for solo players to be able to earn badges based on the fact that they did actually solo the content not just earn the same badge as those of us that did it with teammates.  I personally feel that soloing a TF is an accomplishment in an of itself and should be recognized as such.  I know... I know.. the howls of "but muh MMO you heretic" ... but I also thought that the HC crew wanted players to be able to do things with fewer teammates required because of the small population.  That would be the only reason I could understand as to why we can start TFs with a team of just 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ukase said:

I'm sure there are people that play this game and enjoy such challenges. I like some challenges, but I like challenges that let me use my character's powers to it's full effect. Like in Really Hard Way, in the Magisterium. Even the disallowing of buffs I'd already paid 8 hours for that are now wasted, because they're not a toggle as was earlier suggested they would become is okay, because I can still use the powers that I earned, as opposed the ones I paid for from p2w.

This is all a big rhetorical question from you, right?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

I will never understand the logic of not raising the mobs or missions difficulty, let's just nerf the players.

One example I would make is Endurance management, I know I'm not alone in using Incarnates for end issues.....but like others have said "then don't do it"...well, ok, I won't.

In almost any industry and scenario, it is always easier to remove than to add.

I suppose with all the requests for "increased difficulty/challenge" the easiest path factoring in dev time and code tinkering is to decrease power... or nerf the bastard, albeit temporarily. The logistics are simpler and the end result is close enough.

*disclaimer... except holes... it's easier to add holes.

3 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

It falls to this, and it is two trains of thought.

People who team to accomplish things and those of us that can't stand to team with you.

Now that being said, the standard for us to get the MO badge has been taken away, ie incarnate powers. Because, trust me when I'm duo with my friend and we are trying to do a Master run on 4x8, we need that extra bit and even then its a slog. So its a challenge to us, one we have to plan for, build for, etc.

Now thats been taken away because not only has incarnate powers been taken away, but enemies have buffs across the board which for a duo is now impossible. 

So in my mind its you either team or you cannot enjoy sections of the game that you once enjoyed. Why is this exactly? Why do I have to be forced to play with people that I have no desire to team with to do something that I once could. 

If you hadn't noticed this isn't WoW there isn't a gigantic population to just team up with, if anything smaller team content should be a huge consideration. 

For the record we had a rare instance that 4 of us out of a 6 person VG got together to run the ASF we tried to run it on Vicious final tally was 5 hrs and 89 deaths. That wasn't even a master run. So how is a duo going to run this on MO now?

For those saying that the game was too easy, I'm sure it was with a league or a full team. But, the rest of us just got left by the wayside. There was no consideration for the small team or solo people or the casual folks.

Final note like @Placta said, wtf would you give out incarnate rewards for something that you can't use!? Hand out purples or ATOs.

@Ukase I hear ya.

Yes, I'm grateful the old girl is back. But, a huge part of my and others gaming is no more. So what now? Join a pug? Yeah f that.

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

The ability to earn the badge in game by myself has been taken away. 
In October, I was good enough. Now, I'm not. So yeah, @Faultline, I can run it with no defeats, no temps - but I don't get anything for it, other than useless merits. No flashy badge title. There's no more motivation. You've taken the carrots away from this ass. You can beat me all you like, but if the carrot isn't close enough, I'm not gonna budge. 

It's 7:30 am,(my time) I'm up for Worthy Opponent, but the usual suspects won't be on until 5-8pm my time. During which I'll be hit or miss as to my availability. Will I ever understand why this game that was so cleverly adapted for a smaller player-base and solo-friendly, now takes such a turn to make it not solo friendly (with regards to MO badges) ?

Anyone can say, "Well you can still do X, you just can't get the badge for it now." That doesn't make it right. It just happens to be the way it is now. And I dislike it, as it takes away the motivation to do the content by myself as I did before. 

Was it so horrible that I preferred the convenience, no-stress, no expectations to consider, other than my own? Apparently. Now, if I want to be an effective badger, now I have to be a good teammate that can drop real life to play when it's convenient for other folks who want the same badges I do.  It would be one thing if the servers were highly populated, and one could find reliable players at any hour, but that is not the case. Not for all of us. 

I understand that it's impossible to make us all happy. I get it. I think when you changed the rules, you made a mistake. Just my opinion. 
I do get that it's possible these changes are made with long-term perspectives in mind. Imagining legitimacy as a server, and who knows what else. I hope that happens. 

But for now, I'm just an ass looking for a carrot. 

Soloing/Duoing Master runs was never the intention when they were first made.  It was only made possible by incarnates or a VERY few specialized builds by certain ATs and powersets.  You've been fortunate all this time.  The Devs are righting things to what it should be and I applaud them for it.  Not EVERYTHING has to be soloable. 

And there shouldn't be badges for being able to solo content as not all ATs and powersets can solo things even with incarnate powers - that is completely unfair to the other players, ATs, and powersets (like my Ice/Cold/Cold controller that does basically no damage at all - just as a quick example).  Things in the game should be obtainable by all for fairness across the board - some may need to work harder but that is also why we team - to fill in gaps with our AT, powersets, and/or playstyles so we can achieve greatness together!  If you want to brag about soloing content, you don't need a badge - just make your post here in the forums like some others have, get your kudos, and then you can feel good about yourself.  

It's simple - you want a Master run and the badge - then team.  If you don't want to team, then you don't get the badge.  You want to use your incarnate powers on tough mobs - run the TFs/SFs without the Master setting and jack up the levels/mob sizes.

OR BETTER YET - on normal setting you can just not use your temps and try not to die.  Remove all your temps in your trays so you're not tempted to hit the buttons.  You'll still be doing your "master run" and you can solo to your hearts delight and feel good about your accomplishment.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

13 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

Soloing/Duoing Master runs was never the intention when they were first made.  It was only made possible by incarnates or a VERY few specialized builds by certain ATs and powersets.  You've been fortunate all this time.  The Devs are righting things to what it should be and I applaud them for it.  Not EVERYTHING has to be soloable. 

And there shouldn't be badges for being able to solo content as not all ATs and powersets can solo things even with incarnate powers - that is completely unfair to the other players, ATs, and powersets (like my Ice/Cold/Cold controller that does basically no damage at all - just as a quick example).  Things in the game should be obtainable by all for fairness across the board - some may need to work harder but that is also why we team - to fill in gaps with our AT, powersets, and/or playstyles so we can achieve greatness together!  If you want to brag about soloing content, you don't need a badge - just make your post here in the forums like some others have, get your kudos, and then you can feel good about yourself.  

It's simple - you want a Master run and the badge - then team.  If you don't want to team, then you don't get the badge.  You want to use your incarnate powers on tough mobs - run the TFs/SFs without the Master setting and jack up the levels/mob sizes.

OR BETTER YET - on normal setting you can just not use your temps and try not to die.  Remove all your temps in your trays so you're not tempted to hit the buttons.  You'll still be doing your "master run" and you can solo to your hearts delight and feel good about your accomplishment.  

But the thing about it is that there are alot of badges that are soloable or that can be done in small groups.

Pushing the mechanics, min/max builds, etc are the reason why you can solo harder content or have 8 person teams that can take down Hamidon. 

Where exactly does it say exactly that I have to team? What is the justification to push content that forces me to play in a group to have the fun or play the game that I want?

I want to play, to build my toons a certain way, to prepare, and get the master of badge, well you can't...um why not? Because, a decision was made to service a minority? What logic is that?

Plus, your whole post screams that I have to play a certain way according to you, well who the f are you to tell me this?

Why don't we just make up all sorts of shit because it suits everyone in all fairness. I think pvp sucks as it is, why can't we use powers how they occur in pve in all fairness thats how it should be.

Its not about being able to solo content and come on here and brag, its about getting a badge and being forced to play a certain way according to a select few because they think that's what everyone wants.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

"they" complained. "they" got what they wanted. 

I think "they" are a vocal minority. Why did "they" get what they wanted? 

You may well be right.  But here's the deal...

They (and I would include myself in that "they") got what they wanted because the silent majority wasn't engaged on discord and/or the forums.  If the silent majority had a different opinion on a game that means as much to them as the rest of us, perhaps they ought not have remained silent.

The Devs are very good about considering and responding to regular feedback but if you just play the game and aren't involved in discussing possible changes (let alone Beta testing), then (IMO) you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is how I see it:

19 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

These badges may now be the sort of thing that can't be achieve through rugged individualism; consider that there may actually be a different part of the game that has to be leveraged that a player doesn't have specific and precise control over in order to earn the badges going forward.

I accept that there are players who deeply believe that if they can as an individual get something in the game then they should always be able to use those things to get more things individually. I accept that there are some players who feel like they are being held back when they can't use everything they could have. I don't believe there is some fundamental truth that makes the current mechanism for earning "Master of..." Badges inherently "unfair".

Under the previous HC settings, there were plenty of characters that couldn't earn the "Master of..." badges solo, but many could still experience the content as a solo player.

No players are going to earn the Mentor badges by playing solo characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

But the thing about it is that there are alot of badges that are soloable or that can be done in small groups.

Pushing the mechanics, min/max builds, etc are the reason why you can solo harder content or have 8 person teams that can take down Hamidon. 

Where exactly does it say exactly that I have to team? What is the justification to push content that forces me to play in a group to have the fun or play the game that I want?

I want to play, to build my toons a certain way, to prepare, and get the master of badge, well you can't...um why not? Because, a decision was made to service a minority? What logic is that?

Plus, your whole post screams that I have to play a certain way according to you, well who the f are you to tell me this?

Why don't we just make up all sorts of shit because it suits everyone in all fairness. I think pvp sucks as it is, why can't we use powers how they occur in pve in all fairness thats how it should be.

Its not about being able to solo content and come on here and brag, its about getting a badge and being forced to play a certain way according to a select few because they think that's what everyone wants.

Would a two badge solution as proposed by some in this thread be the solution? Going through the no incarnate challenge setting should have recognition as well (ignore whether or not it is good to have challenges via removing abilities for now). It does still make a new badge that is not practical to get solo but then you still have the MO badge to get at least. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, A Cat said:

Would a two badge solution as proposed by some in this thread be the solution? Going through the no incarnate challenge setting should have recognition as well (ignore whether or not it is good to have challenges via removing abilities for now). It does still make a new badge that is not practical to get solo but then you still have the MO badge to get at least. 

I think this was suggested during the feedback thread. Of adding a ‘grandmaster of’ badge so you had two types, one with and one without incarnates!

• Thanks 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

34 minutes ago, A Cat said:

I'd be perfectly OK with badges that were rewarded for all the various flavors of this quagmire.

1.) Solo TF - Badge A

2.) Team TF - Badge B

3.) Solo TF - no extras - Badge C

4.) Team TF - no extras - Badge D

5.) Solo TF - no extras no death - Badge E

6.) Team TF - no extras no death - Badge F

I know... this would obviously require new development in that I doubt the current system allows for those types of distinctions but I would prefer this over the change of an existing badge.  What is above would allow players to gain badges based on how they want to play.  We are almost there in that there is a normal badge and a 'master of' badge for a few of the TFs.  Just expand that to include solo runs and we are all good.

I also think I saw someone post about maybe instead of more badges add special pips or stars to a badge to denote different ways of it being earned.  That too would be acceptable.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, A Cat said:

I think its an excellent idea. Don't get me wrong I do love the new difficulties they provide a challenge like AE 801, something that was sorely needed IMHO.

But, at least give us a choice, if I knew there was discussion about any of this I would have been commenting on it before any of this became a thing.

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, Frozen Burn said:

Understand that your views here are not shared by me. At least, not all of them. 

If I were playing an AT like yours, that does basically no damage at all...well, I probably would work with the build as best I could until it could at least hit it's way out of a wet paper sack. But, I might benefit a lot more from a team. Sit back, spam holds and buffs/debuffs as best I can and let the other ATs do the damage, pitching in when I can, what little I can. Currently, I'm more of a dps player with as much balance as I can get between resist and defense. 

I remember when I first played, back in live. I was on an emp/elec defender. That wasn't so much my main, as it was just the only character I had. That was back when my character was called Confidence, which I subsequently changed to Ukase Rex, following a reading of Marvel's Secret Wars. (Dr. Doom to Ultron 5)
Back then, as an emp, I never had a moment to do anything solo! I'm serious, too. I'd log in, get an invite within seconds, literally. I finally hit 50, thinking my character was unstoppable. I rarely died. Tanks took the aggro, and I kept them upright to the best of my ability. 

And then, my bubble burst. I tried to solo Unai Kemen's Banished Pantheon mission - the first one he gives. 
I got waxed, I went to the hospital, went back, got waxed again. And then I figured it out. The tank was taking the heat, so my character never really got tested. I'd leveled to 50 and had no idea what my character could do. That's when I learned that teaming just hides your weaknesses. It makes you soft. Just like in real life, if you're no good alone, then you're not good for the group. While it's true that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, it's upon me to make my character as strong as I can, so that I bring more to the table. That's the background behind my characters. Be as good as I know to make them and play them. So while I don't mind teaming, it covers up flaws. You never know where you stand when you're grouped. That's why I try to get as many Master of TF/SFs solo if I can. If I can't, I juggle some things in real life and try to team with a couple of groups that somehow manage to tolerate my atrocious puns and awkward pronunciation of various words over Discord. If I'm using Discord with you, then you know you're something special. I won't talk with just anyone. 

So, yeah, it's simple, if I want to get those master badges, I have to team. But now, not only can a mistake by another player cost me the badge (after all, I'm investing my time, going for this badge) but in a fashion, the badge is now easier to get because of team synergy. 

It's definitely harder alone. It always has been. But now - because, as YOU say " The Devs are righting things to what it should be", I don't have the opportunity to earn the badges by myself. I'd like to think I'm slightly better than mediocre as a player. I'm certainly capable of building very good characters with a good blend of order & chaos. (Order is defense/resistance, and Chaos is DPS) But now I've got to do it with a greater handicap than before. I may yet find the right build that can do it. But I shouldn't have to do so when I already did. The bar has risen when it was perfectly fine where it was -- for a solo player. 

I don't think the " The Devs are righting things to what it should be". I think they are conceding to those who want to, and enjoy teaming at the expense of those who can't always commit to teaming for 2 hours to run Aeon SF at Relentless, for example. They've decided that those that want to solo can just do without the glory and honor of a master badge. 

Hey - it's their game. They've been super kind to allow me to play here, and all they ask is that I'm civil, if not polite and kind. (and that's asking a lot from a grumpy geezer like me!) 
All I'm saying is they've made a mistake. It's just my opinion. They've stepped on my fun. Fun I wouldn't be able to have if they weren't so gracious. 

All these folks saying things are too easy...well, damn, try soloing a master run. Granted, it's not practically impossible (like it is now), but it is challenging, you have to use strategy and pay attention. Teaming is too damned simple, really. It can be more entertaining, with the right folks, I give you that. And it can be faster, sure. But it's not the same challenge, and there is no badge for it now. 
And it's not that I want there to be one. I just want things to go back the way they were. But hey, I can't always get what I want. But, I am allowed to express my dismay, and my bewilderment at what I believe to be is a step in the wrong direction. 

But, if I don't say anything when I disagree with the change, how am I adding anything to the community? Shall I just provide an echo chamber and resonate with what you say, and what they say? I don't think they're after that. And if they are, then much like I am trying to do now, we must learn to live with disappointment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tidge said:

No players are going to earn the Mentor badges by playing solo characters.

Just an FYI - I would never consider trying to solo an incarnate trial. Yet, I do try to get the "master of" badges for all of them. And have gotten all of them on at least a half a dozen characters that I enjoy playing. And when you lead these trials, you can get those mentoring badges rather easily. 

And of course, there's always the option to dual box and mentor the alt. 

As for the rest of your post, I appreciate your thoughts. 

15 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Just an FYI - I would never consider trying to solo an incarnate trial. Yet, I do try to get the "master of" badges for all of them. And have gotten all of them on at least a half a dozen characters that I enjoy playing. And when you lead these trials, you can get those mentoring badges rather easily. 

And of course, there's always the option to dual box and mentor the alt. 

As for the rest of your post, I appreciate your thoughts. 

So why not dual box the "Master of..."?

2 minutes ago, tidge said:

So why not dual box the "Master of..."?

I've given one a try so far. Still a work in progress. But it met with failure because I couldn't tab over to the other account in time for a self heal. 

Maybe I used bad strategy. In retrospect, I probably did. 
But, with no incarnates, and no temps, that means either a lot of slogging through, or respecing TP into characters that I've played a certain way for quite some time. I can always make a second build for this, but then there's the cool down of all the powers, it just makes a long affair even longer. 

Those notes in the beta - they make it super clear about the new content, and proliferation...but somehow, I'd caught on about the no-incarnates on the Market Crash, Abandoned Sewer Trial, Eden Trial - but missed that they had made that a sweeping change across the board. I would have put money on that it wasn't in there, but when I checked back, it was there, but I'd missed it. Or I'd have not spent the time I did on Beta, but spent the time soloing those tfs on the remaining characters that still needed/wanted them before the patch hit. 

Just like I'm doing now with the ouro badges on a couple of characters. Before they mess that up, too. 5 merits as a threshold to give a badge? Have they ever run something solo without enhancements? That ain't fun for one mission, let alone 3-4 of them. But, you want the badges, you put up with it. But nobody says I have to like it, lol. 

48 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Just like I'm doing now with the ouro badges on a couple of characters. Before they mess that up, too. 5 merits as a threshold to give a badge? Have they ever run something solo without enhancements? That ain't fun for one mission, let alone 3-4 of them. But, you want the badges, you put up with it. But nobody says I have to like it, lol.

Flashbacks can be their own flavor of misery... more times than I can recall I have started an Ouro arc with some sort of restriction or buff or debuff and too late realize that I have left the settings at something like +3/x8.

• City Council
7 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

For the record we had a rare instance that 4 of us out of a 6 person VG got together to run the ASF we tried to run it on Vicious final tally was 5 hrs and 89 deaths. That wasn't even a master run. So how is a duo going to run this on MO now?

Not doing it on Vicious. That difficulty setting locks the difficulties to +2 x8 and adds a bunch of resistances and tohit to enemies.

All the badges needed for MO in the ASF are available at Malicious, which leaves the difficulty settings alone and don't add extra resistances to enemies. That's the highest difficulty setting that should be considered unless you are going in with a full team of at least semi-incarnated players.

The median (50th percentile) completion time for the ASF at all difficulties stands at 89 minutes right now, with the fastest run at 15 minutes and 21 seconds. It can be as short or as long, as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. But it was designed with anything above Malicious being entirely optional, and so the only dev response to the ASF being too long or too difficult above Malicious is "lower your difficulty".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Faultline said:

All the badges needed for MO in the ASF are available at Malicious, which leaves the difficulty settings alone and don't add extra resistances to enemies. That's the highest difficulty setting that should be considered unless you are going in with a full team of at least semi-incarnated players.

I thought incarnate abilities are nullified for MO runs...clarify?

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Not for Tin Mage, Apex, nor Dr. Aeon.  Master of Dr. Aeon requires obtaining a few badges, like Tin Mage and Apex.

Ok I'm seriously missing a bunch of info on the badges and need to look/search for the info then.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Ok I'm seriously missing a bunch of info on the badges and need to look/search for the info then.

The short version is that there are two styles of Master of X badges.

• The old style
    • MLTF, LRSF, LGTF, ITF, Kahn, Cuda, Eden, Abandoned Sewers, and Market Crash
    • Requires doing the TF/Trial with no temps, no deaths and as of the latest page, no incarnates.
    • These TFs/SFs/Trials all now have the Master Of option in the challenge options that the mission lead chooses at the start.
  • The new style
    • Apex, Tin Mage, Dr. Aeon, and every iTrial
    • Each has four badges per TF/Trial (three for Apex) that must be collected. Each badge has its own requirements, they don't need to all be earned on the same run (some badges outright require multiple runs), and there's no general challenge requirements (though three of the four DASF badges require Malicious or higher).
    • None of these require any of No Deaths, No Temps, or No Incarnates.
    • None of these have the Master Of toggle challenge thing in the challenge options.

Honestly, reviewing this, I kinda wish something had been done in terms of renaming/changing the existing old-style Master Of badges, so the names weren't confusing across the two styles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pinnacle refugee. Powers and math guy.

23 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

The ability to solo that which we WERE soloing prior to the change.

You don't get special badge for soloing it, you don't get a special badge for soloing all content. You can still solo it, you just don't get the "master of" badge for soloing it with incarnate abilities. I don't see what's changed really aside from one badge that didn't really frame your achievements properly anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, Ukase said:

Fact or fiction: Only 10% of the player base reads and posts on the forums. 

Fact or fiction: The game is too easy. For everybody. At all levels. Only at incarnate levels. 

Fact or fiction: The new Master of TF/SF settings are good for the game. 

1. Less than 10% of the player base reads the forums, probably more like 1%.  And of that 1% that reads the forums, 10% post on the forums.

2. The game is easy at standard difficulty at all levels unless you actively make it hard.  The game level can be adjusted to make the game challenging on a full team up to  level 40 if you choose regular content and do not choose the easiest content.  Once incarnate powers are being used the game becomes trivially easy even at +4.

3. If they keep players interested they are good for the game.  The only way to make the game more challenging is to eliminate IO sets and to dramatically increase the difficulty of enemies.  But that may just drive a lot of the players away, it may not be good for the game.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ukase said:

Understand that your views here are not shared by me. At least, not all of them. 

If I were playing an AT like yours, that does basically no damage at all...well, I probably would work with the build as best I could until it could at least hit it's way out of a wet paper sack. But, I might benefit a lot more from a team. Sit back, spam holds and buffs/debuffs as best I can and let the other ATs do the damage, pitching in when I can, what little I can. Currently, I'm more of a dps player with as much balance as I can get between resist and defense. 

I remember when I first played, back in live. I was on an emp/elec defender. That wasn't so much my main, as it was just the only character I had. That was back when my character was called Confidence, which I subsequently changed to Ukase Rex, following a reading of Marvel's Secret Wars. (Dr. Doom to Ultron 5)
Back then, as an emp, I never had a moment to do anything solo! I'm serious, too. I'd log in, get an invite within seconds, literally. I finally hit 50, thinking my character was unstoppable. I rarely died. Tanks took the aggro, and I kept them upright to the best of my ability. 

And then, my bubble burst. I tried to solo Unai Kemen's Banished Pantheon mission - the first one he gives. 
I got waxed, I went to the hospital, went back, got waxed again. And then I figured it out. The tank was taking the heat, so my character never really got tested. I'd leveled to 50 and had no idea what my character could do. That's when I learned that teaming just hides your weaknesses. It makes you soft. Just like in real life, if you're no good alone, then you're not good for the group. While it's true that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, it's upon me to make my character as strong as I can, so that I bring more to the table. That's the background behind my characters. Be as good as I know to make them and play them. So while I don't mind teaming, it covers up flaws. You never know where you stand when you're grouped. That's why I try to get as many Master of TF/SFs solo if I can. If I can't, I juggle some things in real life and try to team with a couple of groups that somehow manage to tolerate my atrocious puns and awkward pronunciation of various words over Discord. If I'm using Discord with you, then you know you're something special. I won't talk with just anyone. 

So, yeah, it's simple, if I want to get those master badges, I have to team. But now, not only can a mistake by another player cost me the badge (after all, I'm investing my time, going for this badge) but in a fashion, the badge is now easier to get because of team synergy. 

It's definitely harder alone. It always has been. But now - because, as YOU say " The Devs are righting things to what it should be", I don't have the opportunity to earn the badges by myself. I'd like to think I'm slightly better than mediocre as a player. I'm certainly capable of building very good characters with a good blend of order & chaos. (Order is defense/resistance, and Chaos is DPS) But now I've got to do it with a greater handicap than before. I may yet find the right build that can do it. But I shouldn't have to do so when I already did. The bar has risen when it was perfectly fine where it was -- for a solo player. 

I don't think the " The Devs are righting things to what it should be". I think they are conceding to those who want to, and enjoy teaming at the expense of those who can't always commit to teaming for 2 hours to run Aeon SF at Relentless, for example. They've decided that those that want to solo can just do without the glory and honor of a master badge. 

Hey - it's their game. They've been super kind to allow me to play here, and all they ask is that I'm civil, if not polite and kind. (and that's asking a lot from a grumpy geezer like me!) 
All I'm saying is they've made a mistake. It's just my opinion. They've stepped on my fun. Fun I wouldn't be able to have if they weren't so gracious. 

All these folks saying things are too easy...well, damn, try soloing a master run. Granted, it's not practically impossible (like it is now), but it is challenging, you have to use strategy and pay attention. Teaming is too damned simple, really. It can be more entertaining, with the right folks, I give you that. And it can be faster, sure. But it's not the same challenge, and there is no badge for it now. 
And it's not that I want there to be one. I just want things to go back the way they were. But hey, I can't always get what I want. But, I am allowed to express my dismay, and my bewilderment at what I believe to be is a step in the wrong direction. 

But, if I don't say anything when I disagree with the change, how am I adding anything to the community? Shall I just provide an echo chamber and resonate with what you say, and what they say? I don't think they're after that. And if they are, then much like I am trying to do now, we must learn to live with disappointment. 

I get it.  I do.  I mostly play damage dealers too.  I solo a LOT.  And duo plenty as well.  I (and members of my SG) also like to push the limits of what we can do with our toons and the game - much like you do.  But you can still do all that you have been doing and still have the same fun as you've had... you just might not get a shiny badge for it.  Wanting a typical team-gotten badge for something you did solo is nothing but pure ego. 

But again, I get it.  You're disappointed and hurt you don't get the shiny for doing it alone.  But that "Master of" badge doesn't denote or represent you did it solo anyway - so having it doesn't really show your achievement.  So what's the big fuss?  You can still run the content as you have by ignoring your temps, using your incarnates, and making sure you don't die - you'll still have the satisfaction of doing what you've been doing.  

There are plenty of badges you can't get solo.  Now a couple more badges are added to the list - it's not a big deal or worth all this fuss.

I'm not telling you how to play or or how not to play.  I'm just trying to let you know you can still play as you have been (an attempt to console you) -- and sorry, you may not get the badge anymore (sorry for the bad news) -- but if you do want the badge, you can team just like you have to for incarnate trial badges, several PVP badges, and etc (the silver lining).

Sorry this has upset you so much.

• Thumbs Down 1

I feel OP has a simple complaint. One should be able to disagree with it yet understand where he's coming from.

"I could solo task X and get reward Y before, now I cannot".

The ability to still solo task X only addresses half of the complaint when reward Y is not awarded anymore.
And task X being intended as a team effort, whether true or not in a vacuum, is plain offtopic in this context.

@Bionic_Flea really solved the whole topic 4 pages ago, and we're running in circles since. Master badges should have remained as such, and any new Master challenges should have gone with the old restrictions. New Grandmaster badges should have been introduced with the extra "no incarnates" requirement. Takes nothing away from anyone, and only adds options and rewards. Consistency across the board, *and* new shinies on top.

Perhaps this will be considered in the future, anyway? There's nothing preventing devs from implementing the above in a future update.

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 3