How do I create an Enhancement for my toon?

NeoMeister

Go to any invention table (at the Universities, or in a base, or at the RWZ base).

Any recipe that is not dimmed out is ready to craft; you have all the elements. Any recipe that is dim means you are missing one or more ingredients, which you can buy on the Auction House.

With a recipe, all ingredients and any Inf requested, click Create. The crafted enhancement will appear in your tray, ready to use or sell on the AH.

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

Isn't the invention tutorial still working at the universities?

It's still there, but there's no notification that it exists unless you already know to go do it. 

I suggest: make the invention tutorial contact get a "New Contact" screen when you ding 15 and add it to "Find Contact"

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Basically, crafting enhancements, you need a recipe, 4-5 different salvage (components) and inf... and a crafting table. crafting tables are in Unis, abandoned labs, RWZ and you can put one in bases (or if you have access to a public base, chances are they have one). 

When you click the crafting table, your recipe inventory comes up. Pick the recipe you want. If it's bright, it means you have all the things needed. If it's dimmed, you're missing at least one. You can purchase everything from the AH, including recipes. Once the recipe of your choice is no longer dimmed, just press the Create button and the new IO will be added to your Enhancement Tray

Thanks all. My one toon has 71 Event Salvage, 74 Inventions, 29 Enhancement Converters, 8 Enhancement Catalysts. And a boat load of Merits of different kinds. I found the Invention Tutorial and am going through it. But when trying to fumble through purchasing needed items I saw where I lost influence but didn't see where I gained anything. This is puzzling. Any ideas?

You can view your character's specific invention salvage by 1) clicking the "Salvage" link on your power tray to display your personal Vault Reserve, then 2) clicking the "Invention (#/#)" tab. Each item has a quantity listed to the upper left side of its icon, e.g. in the screenie below it shows 1 Ancient Artifact, 2 Boresight, and so on. On the lower right of this window, where the example reads "Name Ascending", you can choose from a few different sorting options (Rarity, Name, Amount; each either ascending or descending). Hope this helps!

image.png.d0342c7b9480d8de1752e6f5611e5a35.png

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

17 minutes ago, NeoMeister said:

Thanks all. My one toon has 71 Event Salvage, 74 Inventions, 29 Enhancement Converters, 8 Enhancement Catalysts. And a boat load of Merits of different kinds. I found the Invention Tutorial and am going through it. But when trying to fumble through purchasing needed items I saw where I lost influence but didn't see where I gained anything. This is puzzling. Any ideas?

Event salvage - for now, ignore. It's things like halloween and winter salvage used for rewards (costume slot, etc.) for those events.

Ignore converters and catalysts for now.  (Drop the converters on the auction house if you need money, learn about converting stuff later.)

If you open up your enhancement tray, you've got 7 trays that can hold 10 enhancements each. They'll start filling in, either from stuff dropped during missions as you defeat enemies or enhancements you craft, from the first tab to the last. If you're spending INF and salvage and recipes are being used up, they're in there somewhere. Sell off your (non IO, non Hamidon, etc. - just the standard SO) enhancements, move the rest to the auction house (don't sell them unless you want to, this is just for storage.)

Your enhancement tray should now be empty. Look for recipes ready to craft. If you craft them, they should start showing up in enhancement tray, tab 1.

Find some that are grey. Click to open them. They'll tell you what you need for salvage - just buy it from the auction house. Craft the ones that look useful or interesting. You'll be using up salvage and spending INF, but they should be showing up in your enhancement trays.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

17 hours ago, NeoMeister said:

I have two level 50's and have never created an Enhancement. I have lots of ingredients and recipes but don't know what is happening when I'm trying to craft something at the university.

You’re about to change everything you know about the game

13 hours ago, NeoMeister said:

But when trying to fumble through purchasing needed items I saw where I lost influence but didn't see where I gained anything. This is puzzling. Any ideas?

You have to claim things you buy on the auction house from the "Bought" tab.

@Fearsome Fig - Torchbearer

19 hours ago, NeoMeister said:

don't know what is happening when I'm trying to craft something at the university.

17 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

Speak to this gentleman, he will set you up.... Inside the Steel Canyon University.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Admissions_Officer_Lenk

253px-Admissions_Officer_Lenk.jpg

Very much this.

This is the tutorial for crafting.

This is the best way to learn from the ground up.

Run this the University arcs and come back if you have more questions.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Guys, thank a lot for all that info. Very much appreciated. Seriously. I made some enhancements and added them to one of my toons. Figured out that I can also add more than one to the same power. I somehow had gotten the idea that each power could only have one crafted enhancement. Doh! I completed the arc for crafting and it was indeed very helpful. 

Next question is: how do you guys make screen captures of the game? There is something I see when I am at the crafting table (workbench) that I'd like to ask about.

3 minutes ago, NeoMeister said:

Guys, thank a lot for all that info. Very much appreciated. Seriously. I made some enhancements and added them to one of my toons. Figured out that I can also add more than one to the same power. I somehow had gotten the idea that each power could only have one crafted enhancement. Doh! I completed the arc for crafting and it was indeed very helpful. 

Next question is: how do you guys make screen captures of the game? There is something I see when I am at the crafting table (workbench) that I'd like to ask about.

1. by default, Print Screen (PRTSCR) will do it. Some people say they have issues with this - I haven't, but I don't keep this in the default directory Windows wants to put things in. If you're using the Homecoming launcher, there's even a button on the top for Screenshots so you can find it. (And if you click back one breadcrumb on the top once it opens your window, you'll be in the main game folder. Useful if you need to get to /accounts and dig into chat logs, for instance, if you're saving them.)

2. If you're trying to capture something like a dialog box or window (which it sounds like,) /screenshotui 1 will capture the screen and windows. /screenshotui 0 will turn that off. (And just plain /screenshot will also take a screenshot.)

3. For some things, the game won't capture it (character select, tailor screen, etc.) I seem to recall the Windows print screen is ... iffy on that (works sometimes, other times you get a black screen.) Something like the snipping tool Windows comes with (Mac has something simliar) can capture that.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

7 minutes ago, NeoMeister said:

what to the small blue numbers mean that I circled? 

Those are the number of copies of each recipe that you have. For example, you have 2 copies of the Lethargic Repose recipe.

Welcome to the game!  

Everything has been said already.... my only tip if your first few inventions are experiments or mistakes - - throw nothing away!  You can always sell salvage, recipes or finished items at Wentworth's.    You can also email in-game to your @global name or another character name and use the item on another character.  

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up.