Tweak Halloween event to have all doors live all the time.

How about doing a tweak to the Halloween event so that all doors always have a chance to spawn some random mobs? Zones would spawn level-appropriate critters and be some additional XP on top of street sweeping. 

Plus it'd add a surprise when you go to the wrong door and would be way more fun than the default "You cannot enter" pop-up.

It would be like every building is full of badguys in CoH and goodguys in CoV just waiting to attack when you inappropriately ring their doorbell.

The spawn rate could be turned down if people want to avoid farming. And change the message to "Nobody is home" when nothing spawns. 

• Thumbs Down 1

No. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 hour ago, ninja surprise said:

Plus it'd add a surprise when you go to the wrong door

How... how do you go to the wrong door when every door mission in the entire game has a waypoint which leads you right to it?  Am I missing something here?  Has there been a sudden rash of missing waypoints?  Have people en masse suddenly lost the ability to follow the bright yellow or ominous red arrow to the correct location and somehow find themselves on the wrong side of the map, clicking furiously on every door they stumble across?

🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

This could be fun - but as-is, it's far too farmable.  

It would, however, be a great update to the extremely dated Patrol missions, where it could paint 5-6 possible doors as the mission entrance.  Wrong guesses (or even all but the last) spawn an ambush that hops out of the door.

It's not as farmable as an actual farm, so I don't see how that's relevant.  Not exactly sure what "too" farmable is, in any event.

I don't really see what the suggestion would add, though.  Just more mobs that spawn from doors, instead of in different places on the streets.  There are already more than enough mobs to hunt on the streets, so I don't see why we need them to pop out of buildings, too.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

How about doing a tweak to the Halloween event so that all doors always have a chance to spawn some random mobs? Zones would spawn level-appropriate critters and be some additional XP on top of street sweeping. 

I like this idea, and it'd be fun to be able to trick-or-treat in a wider variety of zones.  Only difference of opinion is, say, use GM code on the door spawns so that they just always con at-level, or similar.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luminara said:

How... how do you go to the wrong door when every door mission in the entire game has a waypoint which leads you right to it?  Am I missing something here?  Has there been a sudden rash of missing waypoints?  Have people en masse suddenly lost the ability to follow the bright yellow or ominous red arrow to the correct location and somehow find themselves on the wrong side of the map, clicking furiously on every door they stumble across?

🤷‍♀️

Sometimes the waypoint is a group of doors. Either 2 or 4. Click the door at the waypoint and it may still be the wrong door and you actually needed the door next to it. Happens to me infrequently, but it does happen.

(Mainly because even if there is only one door at the waypoint, the waypoint can be off by up to 15 feet. At least when it is a single door, it is obvious which door the waypoint means. And that is not even counting zones like St. Martial where you have to find the correct door to take you inside the skyscraper to find the waypoint actual door. It may only have 16 doors spread around the base of the skyscraper, but only 1 of those 16 will actually let you in to look for your mission door, assuming you went to the skyscraper that actually links to the target lobby that has your mission door.)

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add last paragraph.

8 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Plus it'd add a surprise when you go to the wrong door and would be way more fun than the default "You cannot enter" pop-up.

It would be like every building is full of badguys in CoH and goodguys in CoV just waiting to attack when you inappropriately ring their doorbell.

The spawn rate could be turned down if people want to avoid farming. And change the message to "Nobody is home" when nothing spawns. 

So correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting it be changed from 'Trick or Treat' to 'Trick or Trick'?

Is the timer for the door reset too long for you, and that's what you'd like changed?

Have you tried hotels in Paragon City during the Halloween event? Warehouse doors in Granville for CoV. Dunno about goldside, but those are great sites for teams or solo multi-box.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

9 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

No. 

This.

As I'm reading the OP, you basically want Halloween year round, though not with the event mobs off-season. No freaking thanks.  I'm just remembering how annoying it gets with the doors at Point du Hoc when gathering for an MSR during that time of year when it's just constant door click - ambush. Having that year round would be *exceptionally* annoying. Especially if people could start doing it, say, waiting for a teammate to arrive at the mission, all of a sudden you've got a pile of mobs someone else spawned...

Ugh. I'd rather play C&C 4, and I don't even admit that game exists.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

In atlas park,  some of the sewer grates already have vahzilok come out when you get close.  Maybe they come out of some of the doors also but for sure they come out of the sewer grates.  If appropriate doors had appropriate mobs come out of them,  I would be ok with that.  Not every door all the time though.  But there are plenty of doors that are never mission doors that would totally make sense if some mobs came out.  Some warriors come out of a building in talos for example.  It is completely reasonable that mobs would be looking out a window and decide to exit their building as a hero approaches or just as an every day event that people exit buildings that arent about to fight you.  They shouldnt automatically agro to you and it shouldnt be a 'suprise, you clicked the wrong door,  heres some mobs'.  

To fully flesh it out i would like to see mobs come out of a building,  walk to another building,  and go in.  Maybe they con yellow since they 'arent looking for a fight' like their peers that just hang out on the street all day.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luminara said:

How... how do you go to the wrong door when every door mission in the entire game has a waypoint which leads you right to it?

The one I can think of is St. Martial and all the building interior mission doors. I just mission TP to them since you can't tell what doors on the building exterior lead inside or are just mission doors themselves. The actual waypoint is not helpful since it is pointing to the actual mission door, which is in the building interior underground. 

jrangersmall.gif.61f0f73dd3687cc1ffd63cf8694b421f.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Suggestion:

It would be cool if there was a new raid, that upon completion of this raid it unlocked Trick or Tricking (for a period of time) for all the teams that took part in the raid. (Or just everyone (whichever version people prefer)).

Trick or Treating unlocked by the raid would be in a new zone that has level appropriate doors.

Trick or Treating would be in this zone so as not to disrupt things for everyone else on the server for when it's outside of the Halloween season.

(In-Season Trick or Treating would still be in all zones as they normally are, this is not a suggestion to remove Trick or Treating from the In-Season zones.)

I don't know how hard it would be to code (or even if it's possible), but I think it would be very fun event.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 6:15 PM, Akisan said:

This could be fun - but as-is, it's far too farmable.  

It would, however, be a great update to the extremely dated Patrol missions, where it could paint 5-6 possible doors as the mission entrance.  Wrong guesses (or even all but the last) spawn an ambush that hops out of the door.

This seems the most interesting idea, even if it's taking OP's thought and running in a completely different direction.

I would need to understand why Halloween ?
Is it that you want the badges for completeness and hate having to wait until October to get them ?

Because I am looking at the rewards and its just temp costumes and badges. 

Ignore the Trick or Treat element. Maybe just make it something specific to Croatoa zone. Meaning a mission in Croatoa has a chance of spawning a ToT group. 
The biggest issue is mobs will be hitting you as you zone into a hot door and you could end up being dead. 
I would make it at the completion of the mission, upon killing the boss or clicking the glowy. 

Or lets change it all up and add the following;

During Halloween regular door missions upon completion give you a chance to get a Halloween reward. Let say 10% chance
Maybe have a booster that can randomly drop that can up the percentage chance of getting a Halloween reward.  Adds another 10% chance
So now if you want to do missions, you can and you get a chance to do ToT as well to get credit towards the badges instead of standing at that hotel clicking doors for hours. 

On 1/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, Cancrusher said:

It's not as farmable as an actual farm, so I don't see how that's relevant.  Not exactly sure what "too" farmable is, in any event.

It may not be as lucrative as a standard farm, but it does seem to be much more accessible, given the almost 24/7 haunted hotel ToT league in PI (Excelsior) during the Halloween event. 

1 hour ago, plainguy said:

I would need to understand why Halloween ?
Is it that you want the badges for completeness and hate having to wait until October to get them ?

Because I am looking at the rewards and its just temp costumes and badges.

Because some of those temp costumes make some build ideas, since the equivalent costume parts aren't readily available.  I rolled a DP/Devices blaster on Live that I only ran with at Halloween so I could RP as a rogue Malta Gunslinger.  I debated doing something similar with a Claws/Regen scrapper for the Freakshow Tank, but decided it wasn't worth it to have 2 alts competing for Halloween playtime. 

On 1/31/2022 at 1:46 PM, Rudra said:

Why the fixation on year-round trick or treating?

I'll admit it does get old after a while, but I do like that it mixes up the usual street sweeping routes - I can hunt over all of PI with my main, not just near Portal Corp.  The extra mob variety/event drops are just a bonus at that point.

3 hours ago, Akisan said:

Because some of those temp costumes make some build ideas, since the equivalent costume parts aren't readily available.  I rolled a DP/Devices blaster on Live that I only ran with at Halloween so I could RP as a rogue Malta Gunslinger.  I debated doing something similar with a Claws/Regen scrapper for the Freakshow Tank, but decided it wasn't worth it to have 2 alts competing for Halloween playtime. 

I forgot to  add that. I figured it would be something like that as well. Each costume last 14 days. Not sure if that is real days or real days of play time.  

14 days is a lot of time in game. But regardless you would need a lot of them. 
creating code to get this done for specific players seems like a lot work. Meaning if they created a token you could use so you could ToT. The game sees the buff active and you get to click non mission doors. 
I am thinking it might just be easier to put them on PW2 and be done with it.  

4 hours ago, plainguy said:

I am thinking it might just be easier to put them on PW2 and be done with it.  

Yeah, being able to buy a specific costume any time of year for 1 of each Halloween salvage is great, since it lets me do stuff like that whenever.  A more permanent, P2W option would be nice for specific costumes though, as it's a bit pricy to run one of them year round (24 of each salvage is a lot of ToTing...)

It may not be as lucrative as a standard farm, but it does seem to be much more accessible, given the almost 24/7 haunted hotel ToT league in PI (Excelsior) during the Halloween event.

A ToT League is not more accessible than an AE farm or PI radio missions, which can be done literally any time with 1 to 8 people.  Regardless, farming is alive and well on homecoming.  It's easy, lucrative, and not going away any time soon.  If you object to such, I'm afraid that that ship  has already sailed.  🤷‍♂️

But, again, having said that, I also don't see how the suggestion would enhance game play.  Given the limited time and staff that is available to allocate to projects, I also vote no on this one. 

On 1/31/2022 at 1:46 PM, Rudra said:

I don't get it. Why the fixation on year-round trick or treating? It only sees much use in the first week of the Halloween event each year as is aside from PI ToTing farming.

People may enjoy things you don't in this game.  Really, crazy to imagine but happens you guys!

I'm for some form of this idea as there's no reason I feel to gate content in any form these days; it's a hold-out from "gotta keep them subbed!" thinking.  I don't have a solid idea how to do this - triggering it in a zone for say 30 minutes after a TF or something isn't a bad idea, much like say the zombies; maybe a Null the Gull setting? - but I just don't see any reason to not figure a way to make it happen whenever a player or team wants it to.  This applies to all the holiday-themed stuff. 

I'm really not seeing any solid arguments against this in this thread.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

23 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

People may enjoy things you don't in this game.  Really, crazy to imagine but happens you guys!

I'm for some form of this idea as there's no reason I feel to gate content in any form these days; it's a hold-out from "gotta keep them subbed!" thinking.  I don't have a solid idea how to do this - triggering it in a zone for say 30 minutes after a TF or something isn't a bad idea, much like say the zombies; maybe a Null the Gull setting? - but I just don't see any reason to not figure a way to make it happen whenever a player or team wants it to.  This applies to all the holiday-themed stuff. 

I'm really not seeing any solid arguments against this in this thread.

My saying I don't get it strictly applies to me. Hence "I don't get it". That other people like other things was never the issue to me. Now if others want to explain what it is that they get about it, I'm happy to be enlightened.

Now then! Doing ToT'ing during Halloween fits. Kids go ToT'ing for Halloween. Doing ToT'ing year-round does not fit. The event becomes less special. You want to use the holiday costumes year round? That can be done without the need for year round ToT'ing. (Most people I see use the Carnival of Shadows Harlequin costume anyway, and you can make that in the costume creator.) Same with the Christmas event and the Valentine's event. Are you pushing for Mrs. Liberty to always be in her Christmas outfit and Atlas Park to always have snow? Are you saying you want the Rogue Isles and Paragon City to always be night like the Halloween event does for most of its duration? Are you saying you want to constantly get Valentine tips year round to deliver or mis-deliver? Having holiday events during the holiday gets people to do them. At least when the event starts. Ever notice how quickly interest in them tapers off? Trying to find people to do the holiday stuff after the 1st week is a struggle. At least for me. So if the event is year round? I'm wondering if I'll even be able to find a team for them during the holidays, let alone the rest of the year. Keep holiday events keyed to their appropriate holidays, please. (And yes, I know the zombie invasion used to be Halloween only and went year-round. It is one of the reasons I took to calling CoX on Live near the end of the game City of Invasions. Street sweeping when there were nearly constant invasions made the street sweep missions near impossible.)

(Oh! How about eternal night snow fall with Halloween mobs asking you to deliver their love letters to Baby New Year as the Halloween mobs chew your face off? A ridiculous example, but that is how I feel about your suggestion of making all holiday-themed content year round.)

The idea of random mobs popping out of doors? That sounds pretty interesting, if done the way it is in Atlas Park or Port Oakes. Some door opens and mobs appropriate to zone pile out, either to stand there as in Atlas Park or run to another door as in Port Oakes. Just running around to click doors to spawn zone appropriate enemies makes a lot less sense. They are already available in the zone and door mobs should be keyed to what is in that area anyway, so you would still need to go looking for the ones you want. If you catch some running out of a building? Have fun! Go nuts! No door clicking to get them, they just randomly appear out of assigned doors.

Edited by Rudra
Edited example line per Akisan's (rather humorous) question.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

My saying I don't get it strictly applies to me. Hence "I don't get it". That other people like other things was never the issue to me. Now if others want to explain what it is that they get about it, I'm happy to be enlightened.

I shouldn't have to justify what I want to you, really.  Just listen when someone says this is what they want and accept it maybe?

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Now then! Doing ToT'ing during Halloween fits. Kids go ToT'ing for Halloween. Doing ToT'ing year-round does not fit.  The event becomes less special. You want to use the holiday costumes year round? That can be done without the need for year round ToT'ing. (Most people I see use the Carnival of Shadows Harlequin costume anyway, and you can make that in the costume creator.) Same with the Christmas event and the Valentine's event. Are you pushing for Mrs. Liberty to always be in her Christmas outfit and Atlas Park to always have snow? Are you saying you want the Rogue Isles and Paragon City to always be night like the Halloween event does for most of its duration? Are you saying you want to constantly get Valentine tips year round to deliver or mis-deliver? Having holiday events during the holiday gets people to do them. At least when the event starts. Ever notice how quickly interest in them tapers off? Trying to find people to do the holiday stuff after the 1st week is a struggle. At least for me. So if the event is year round? I'm wondering if I'll even be able to find a team for them during the holidays, let alone the rest of the year. Keep holiday events keyed to their appropriate holidays, please. (And yes, I know the zombie invasion used to be Halloween only and went year-round. It is one of the reasons I took to calling CoX on Live near the end of the game City of Invasions. Street sweeping when there were nearly constant invasions made the street sweep missions near impossible.)

(Oh! How about eternal night snow fall with Halloween mobs asking you to deliver their love letters to Baby New Year as they chew your face off? A ridiculous example, but that is how I feel about your suggestion of making all holiday-themed content year round.)

The idea of random mobs popping out of doors? That sounds pretty interesting, if done the way it is in Atlas Park or Port Oakes. Some door opens and mobs appropriate to zone pile out, either to stand there as in Atlas Park or run to another door as in Port Oakes. Just running around to click doors to spawn zone appropriate enemies makes a lot less sense. They are already available in the zone and door mobs should be keyed to what is in that area anyway, so you would still need to go looking for the ones you want. If you catch some running out of a building? Have fun! Go nuts! No door clicking to get them, they just randomly appear out of assigned doors.

There's precedence for not gating holiday stuff in some form, the ski chalet itself is open year round now.  Skipping over all the other straw-manning and slippery sloping (heh, "ski chalet," slippery slope") that follows... well I guess I've addressed all that as far as need be.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝