I have fans!

KC4800

I was playing my level 50 Bots/EA MM named Bicycle Repairman on Everlasting this morning when I zoned into Talos Island and who do I see? A level 35 Shield/WM tank(or scrapper, don't remember) named BicycIe Repairman. What are the chances of that? We laugh, having finally broken the game.

Seriously, what are the chances of running into your biggest fan? Have you ever done it? This was absolutely a chance encounter. I had no idea this guy existed prior to this moment.

Edited by KC4800
  • Haha 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

It does happen!  Why, just the other day I happened to see in chat someone was using a name I was planning on using myself, at some point!  We're celebrities you and I!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

So..I have a different take. I don't look at them as fans, but as copycats that need to learn some creativity. I treat these people with disdain and try to avoid them as best as I can. And I hope they behave themselves and people don't get the two of us confused. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Ukase said:

So..I have a different take. I don't look at them as fans, but as copycats that need to learn some creativity. I treat these people with disdain and try to avoid them as best as I can. And I hope they behave themselves and people don't get the two of us confused. 

Agreed, or I could also publicly berate them, bring up the fact of failed genetics, parents were brother and sister, poor upbringing, lack of creativity, probably eats paint chips, licks windows, dropped on the head as an infant or spiked like a football, grew up in an alley, had no friends, lived in a used toilet crate, and whatever else I could think of at the moment. 

The nerve of some people...sheesh...although I did see someone with a similar name as me this weekend and stood in front of them expressing my disdain.

• Haha 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I recall a few months ago that Tom Cat, Tom-Cat, and Tomcat were all on Excelsior at the same time (the latter version of which was mine; I'm not sure which was created first).  I'm still a little sorry we didn't all get together and form a team.  We could have run Bobcat's missions.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, KC4800 said:

I was playing my level 50 Bots/EA MM named Bicycle Repairman on Everlasting this morning when I zoned into Talos Island and who do I see? A level 35 Shield/WM tank(or scrapper, don't remember) named BicycIe Repairman. What are the chances of that? We laugh, having finally broken the game.

Seriously, what are the chances of running into your biggest fan? Have you ever done it? This was absolutely a chance encounter. I had no idea this guy existed prior to this moment.

Did you check to see if he was from Praetoria?

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have a defender named Pepto Bisman who ran into Pepto Bismol. He chuckled that he had a fan as he was lvl 50, I was just starting out doing a DFB.. this was literally the first toon I made so I could not have known him-  but I was grateful he didn't get weird about it. If I were in his seat I may think the same thing.. Sometimes it just kind of happens, two people come up with a similar idea.. and if it irks you I say challenge them to a duel. Winner takes name! (Just make sure you only do this if you are significantly more powerful)  😀 

Edited by fancy ketchup

6 hours ago, KC4800 said:

Kinda? Could be a coincidence though. On my alt account I have a scrapper named Geode Thief, and saw someone in ouro named Geode Marauder. They zoned before I could observe their costume but maybe they were a fan 😄

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

It is flattering to me at least. Most of my character name choices are quite obscure, like Sporanghi. No one knows what a Sporanghi is. Is it a thing? It's a -- thing.

Phrendon Largo, no one will take that one, thats me babee!! Been me for far too long.

I even had a person once message me in game and offer to pay me a "ton" of influence if I gave him Krown. I refused, and we parted as friends. I never look down on people for trying to mimic my choice. It's flattering, and more power to them if they can pull it off.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

So I was reading this thread and realized that while my global is @Yomo, I may be missing requests from people accidentally sending emails to @Yomo Kimyata.  So I got a spare account, tried to change the global and sonofa…. Guess what?!?

It was available!  No one had taken it!!!  I feel so unseen…

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Who run Bartertown?

9 hours ago, fancy ketchup said:

I have a defender named Pepto Bisman who ran into Pepto Bismol. He chuckled that he had a fan as he was lvl 50, I was just starting out doing a DFB.. this was literally the first toon I made so I could not have known him-  but I was grateful he didn't get weird about it. If I were in his seat I may think the same thing.. Sometimes it just kind of happens, two people come up with a similar idea.. and if it irks you I say challenge them to a duel. Winner takes name! (Just make sure you only do this if you are significantly more powerful)  😀 

That's a fair point. Which is the only reason I don't get snippy with them. If I'm wrong and misjudging them - they'll likely never know. 

In my case, I have the name Apache Fire. I ran into Apache-Fire. To me, the hyphen suggests to me that they tried Apache Fire first, found it was taken and opted for a workaround. I have no way to definitively know that, of course. But it seems suspect to me. The workaround may be clever enough, but when I click on the bio, and there's not even a story there, it tells me there's no concept that they just had to try out or anything like that. They just thought well...fire control...patchy fires all over the place. Apache-Fire. Just a coincidence. Right. 

I'm sure it wasn't personal. So I didn't take it personal. I just didn't appreciate it because it's so similar to the name I was using. What if they quit a tf before it's over and someone mistakes them for me? What if they make rude comments to vulnerable people, or in some other way do something that someone might think they were me? Hopefully, a global check would show it wasn't, but who knows? 

I remember doodling around in Atlas and ran into *two people* who had character names I'd had on live. I was like 'oh neat!' And then, five minutes later, I found out my heraldic lion character wasn't so unique... down to the colour scheme. 

I do hope they didn't think Bonny Herald was a deliberate copy of Lion Rampant, just a case of great minds.

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

7 minutes ago, Ukase said:

That's a fair point. Which is the only reason I don't get snippy with them. If I'm wrong and misjudging them - they'll likely never know. 

In my case, I have the name Apache Fire. I ran into Apache-Fire. To me, the hyphen suggests to me that they tried Apache Fire first, found it was taken and opted for a workaround. I have no way to definitively know that, of course. But it seems suspect to me. The workaround may be clever enough, but when I click on the bio, and there's not even a story there, it tells me there's no concept that they just had to try out or anything like that. They just thought well...fire control...patchy fires all over the place. Apache-Fire. Just a coincidence. Right. 

I'm sure it wasn't personal. So I didn't take it personal. I just didn't appreciate it because it's so similar to the name I was using. What if they quit a tf before it's over and someone mistakes them for me? What if they make rude comments to vulnerable people, or in some other way do something that someone might think they were me? Hopefully, a global check would show it wasn't, but who knows? 

I can see where you're coming from. The old hyphen trick isnt fooling anyone lol. I doubt they put any thought into what the original Apache might think and that's something to be mindful of when selecting names.

I played another game where I was away for months at a time but would always come back. My skills would get super akward and i would often get mistaken for a bot.. since there was no global, upon returning all my old friends would always yell at me. "You're not the real potato you faker!" Sometimes I would play into it and pretend to be a fake me.. but I assure you I am 100% potato.

2 hours ago, fancy ketchup said:

I can see where you're coming from. The old hyphen trick isnt fooling anyone lol. I doubt they put any thought into what the original Apache might think and that's something to be mindful of when selecting names.

I played another game where I was away for months at a time but would always come back. My skills would get super akward and i would often get mistaken for a bot.. since there was no global, upon returning all my old friends would always yell at me. "You're not the real potato you faker!" Sometimes I would play into it and pretend to be a fake me.. but I assure you I am 100% potato.

Hyphen trick did not help me at all lol. I want to name my Praetorian character Morningstar, but apparently it was too common, so I tried The-Morningstar, The_Morningstar, Morning-Star, Morning_Star, and nope, not a single name worked! Then I tried Phosphorus, which is a Greek name for Morningstar and... HOW IN THE WORLD IT ALSO GOT TAKEN? That name wasn't exactly common.... 😞 After several other ridiculous variation like Star_Morning, Lucifer Morningstar, and Phosphor, finally I got Heosphorus, which is, again, another Greek name for Morningstar.... thankfully nobody hasn't take that yet.

Heos.JPG.2eb39d0d2c950a091d7dc8f91e6c7bf4.JPG

Look at him, he was angry that I can't get to name him Morningstar... *sobs*  and he was based on some video game villain's character named Morningstar...

• Like 1

Heroes, villains, no problem.

Have some cookies, you're welcome. 😄

Cookies.jpg.2b22cf3d06af9c1b815c84046ae060bb.jpg

6 hours ago, Robin1996ify said:

Hyphen trick did not help me at all lol. I want to name my Praetorian character Morningstar, but apparently it was too common, so I tried The-Morningstar, The_Morningstar, Morning-Star, Morning_Star, and nope, not a single name worked! Then I tried Phosphorus, which is a Greek name for Morningstar and... HOW IN THE WORLD IT ALSO GOT TAKEN? That name wasn't exactly common.... 😞 After several other ridiculous variation like Star_Morning, Lucifer Morningstar, and Phosphor, finally I got Heosphorus, which is, again, another Greek name for Morningstar.... thankfully nobody hasn't take that yet.

Heos.JPG.2eb39d0d2c950a091d7dc8f91e6c7bf4.JPG

Look at him, he was angry that I can't get to name him Morningstar... *sobs*  and he was based on some video game villain's character named Morningstar...

What about Mourning Star,  mourning the loss of his name Morning Star. Or Good Morning Star but then you need him to drink coffee and donuts and wear pajamas.

Edited by fancy ketchup
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, fancy ketchup said:

What about Mourning Star,  mourning the loss of his name Morning Star. Or Good Morning Star but then you need him to drink coffee and donuts and wear pajamas.

I tried Morgen Star, but apparently someone in Germany already taken that.... Good Morning Star sounds like a Saturday Morning cartoon show lol.

• Haha 1

Heroes, villains, no problem.

Have some cookies, you're welcome. 😄

Cookies.jpg.2b22cf3d06af9c1b815c84046ae060bb.jpg

I wonder if "Video Game Villain Knock-off" is too many letters. Surely it's not taken. 

I'm kidding. I have a character called Emancipist. One of the few characters I actually made a bio for, and didn't use the RNG to make the costume. It's also the title of the longest book I've ever read, over 1000 pages in the ABRIDGED version. Historical Fiction. To date, Bible aside, it is my favorite book, followed by Count of Monte Cristo. It literally has everything in it. A boy and his dog. A boy and his girl. Guy gets girl, guy lose girl, guy can't get girl back, so finds a girl that looks just like her. Guy goes to prison, guy escapes from prison. Guy saves a young girls life, becomes a hero, gets time served, goes to work, becomes rich, or an "Emancipist".  I still read this book about once every 10 years. It's out of print now. Finding a copy may prove difficult. It's historical fiction, too. I learned about the potato famine, all about how half the continent of Australia is pretty much filled with descendants of convicts and prison guards.  

So, I can also be accused of being a knock-off artist of sorts. The difference is - I am friends with the author on Facebook. I actually got permission to use the name, lol. She worked on that book for over 8 years! And she's been working on her second book even longer. So, please know, I was kidding. I can understand how certain characters we see or read about might influence the characters we create. It just pains me to see someone use something like "Super-Man" because it's technically not Super Man. What's hazy for me is to see something like Pal-el, and see one that looks just like Superman, only with red hair, claiming to be the step-brother of Kal-el. Apparently Jor-el couldn't keep it in his pants or something like that. Was it Jor-el? I can't recall. I've always been more of a Marvel guy. DC seemed to be for a younger audience. 

I don't honestly know where the line should be drawn. It's probably different for all of us. But I know bad form when I see it.