How does your character carry things in RP?

Andreah

Let's say you have a variety of supplies, extra costumes, a temp power weapon or two, and so forth.

How do you assume and RP that you character carries these things? 

Do you try to set your costume up to represent this; e.g., with a tactical belt, harness, quiver, backpack, etc.? 

Do you allow for it in emoting, but not attempt to represent it on your costume?

Or do you just hand-wave it away as not particularly important to your RP?

• Thumbs Up 1

It varies a little bit from character to character, but for any character who doesn't have a specific solution of their own, I have a couple of characters in my SG who are capable of producing supertech devices, and a subspace storage device is well within their abilities, so everyone in the SG has access to that tech as part of their standard kit.  Some of my characters do also use utility belts, pouches integrated into the costume, etc., to keep stuff they want to have at hand (either for convenience or because they don't want to risk relying completely on a device they don't understand).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I try to represent important items on Sabrehawk's costume. This isn't always practical given the limitations of the costume creator. Sometimes it takes a back seat to looking cool. But in general, I try. Quiver for arrows, utility belt for miscellaneous gadgets, gauntlet with glowing Tron lines for high tech energy attacks and so on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of my toons are techy-utility belt kind of peeps. So some of my favourite costume parts are the Stealth chest detail and the tactical/imperial defense belts. I tend to lean towards Jet boots, packs and Jet wings for flight--I hope they can port the Jump Pack Temp power (from 3rd mayhem mission) into the costumes as it looks way cool. Some powers that blast from the hand usually have some tech explanation, like the large robotic gloves, resistance gloves, etc. And then on some, like /Devices or /Traps, i cough up some inf for a Vanity pet that follows me around carrying my supplies.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Krimson said:

Hammer space.

This, actually pretty literally. Gaia Redeemer is a reincarnating arcane warrior whose specialty is in enchantments, and especially “spatial volume folding”. I play him as having limits to how much he can do it (or rather safely, mentioning once you get past about x3.3 internal volume you start to encounter instabilities and risks of explosive rupturing), and so he doesn’t keep the Titan weapon sword in hammer space (he’s supposed to have it on his back), but he can keep a number of magical potions, regents, evidence, restraints (enchanted zip ties), etc. on hand. Also helps his signature trench coat is made from his old robes from his life as an Oranbegan and could handle a hell of a lot of enchanting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of mine are magi... They use a quick cantrip to summon and dismiss items that are too big to fit into a coat pocket from something like Hammerspace. They call it "Elsewhere".

Kai says that she used to try carrying a purse, but got tired of having to beat the snot out of gang members every time she tried to walk across Atlas Park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

@Krimson I tried RPing in Everlasting as well, upon the nudging of some friends. Unfortunately, before I could even get my feet wet, the wifi gods made life difficult for my third world internet to fully enjoy that shard. On bad days, I couldn't even turn around in my base, let alone a crowded venue. So yeah, I moved some of my toons to Torch and Indom. The lower population leaves me to RP with just my multiple personalities, but at least the game moves.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Depends on the particular character, mostly. The ones who are more gear/gadget-based - Assault Rifle, Dual Pistols, Archery, Devices/Traps - will definitely have more aspects of their costumes made to emphasize that. Extra pouches, big utility belts, the Tech Knight quiver backpiece, etc. Most of my characters with supersuits end up with a utility belt of some kind at least, though. Be it a traditional Batman-esque one with pouches, one of the Official belts, or a magical belt with an enchanted storage space. Really depends on the concept and what I can get away with from the costume creator. For example, I've got a sewer dwelling ex-Vahzilok named Vivisection and he makes fantastic use of the Post Apocalyptic belt because it's what fits him the best, and the constraint of RPing 'just what he's visually got on his outfit' leads to fun scenarios.

I absolutely do attempt to collect fitting temp powers and curate a list of appropriate emotes as well. Hell, I even buy up small stocks of Legacy salvage to represent various supplies the character is supposed to have (they're really fun to break out when my character has to pass certain items to others).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

It's rare that I even bother worrying about it, honestly.  I'm not really playing COH for realism and most of the "problematic" items (where are you carrying a nemesis staff?) are more for early game utility.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Most of my weapon-wielding characters are supposed to have them visible on their person somewhere. Holstered pistols, swords sheathed across the back, beam katanas hung from belts or thigh holsters. At least one I'd like to have dragging her titan weapon behind her like Pyramid Head dragging the Great Knife. Aside from that, they've mostly only got a few small bits of tech: a smartphone/police radio, a hacking device. More tech illiterate might have a hacking tool for interfacing with computers on their behalf; some might have an emergency medkit or a few grenades, or a mediport beacon stabilizer tool to warp injured enemies/allies away. That's usually going to be 'utility belt' or 'back pocket' territory.

There are two real standouts to this: RR Hood, my mercs/traps magic-hunting paramilitary operative. If she's going into a fight, she's carrying: 

A sniper rifle and ammunition (Slug)
Ghost Slaying Axe
Fireteam Radio (Summon powers)
Ammo Bags for her team (Equip Mercenary, Tactical Upgrade)
Medic Bags for her team (Triage Beacon
Personal Emergency Medkit (Aid Self, Aid Other, Field Medic)

Web Grenades, Caltrops, Force Field generator

Miniature auto-turret (Acid Mortar)

Tear Gas/Nerve Gas (Poison Trap)

Commercial quadcopter drones with a flashbang duct-taped to them (Seeker Drones)
Kind of a lot of C4 (Trip mine slotted for lots of recharge and the Force Feedback proc)
Smoke grenades, gas grenades, frag grenades (Day job Temp Powers)

As far as carrying that, she's got a utility belt fulla pouches, a rifle sling, and a picnic basket full of goodies that she's bringing to grandma. Her henchmen help her carry the rest. 

The other is Ryoko Kobayashi, anime ninja girl, who only has her katana and some pocket sand on her, usually... but with a rework that I want to implement if or when Utility Belt ever drops, I'll be changing her epic pool to Weapon Mastery. At that point I'll have the origin power throwing knife, the poison knife from Utility Belt, and Shuriken/Explosive Shuriken/Webnade from Ninjutsu and have *kind of a lot* of sharp metal tucked away to throw at people. However, storing this isn't a problem: It's a normal property of Japanese school uniforms to be able to contain an infinite volume of kunai and shuriken.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

Let's see...well, I have maybe one or two characters that actually carry weapons on them. Most of my characters are magical aligned, so they use void spaces "pocket spells" as a means to transport weapons, belongings, emergency goods like medic kits and so forth. Everyone kind of does their own little "purse" or "wallet" sort of deal. That one's just mine. /shrugs/

• Like 2

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

Magic origin characters can use hammerspace/summon bound items as needed, really the most flexible.

One Tech origin character is a Robotics MM - if ever something is needed and it's implausible he would have it, summon a basic minion. Your robot flies in and delivers you the thing.

My newest Science origin character has the 'duffle bag full of cash' backpack. I fluff things coming from the bag.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Depends on the character. Bags of holding if magic, and if not and there is no explanation for it then they don't. At most pouches to carry a phone and money.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My clockwork themed robotic character has all her stuff integrated, was inspired by Mantis Blades in CP2077 that are too awesome a design to pass up. My other characters in City carry their items as normal, a belt with pouches, small pack, tucked in your boots etcetera!

Funniest was my Sith character in The Old Republic who wore no belts, no pouches or backpacks. She had magnetic subdermal implants on her upper thigh to carry her lightsaber around.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of my redside characters use the money bag backpack to carry their loot.

Counterfeit uses the money bag for cash withdrawals and stealth belt and harness for his traps.  also he creates duplicates of himself when the situation calls for assistance.

While Poor Man’s Grenade uses a post apocalyptic belt with pouch to carry a minibar as alcohol fuels his fire powers.

The Accomplice is a criminal mastermind/retired thief so he doesn’t like to get his hands dirty anymore with the grunt work.  He just hires a thug or calls in a favor.

the speedstress Jay Walk just races back to the safehouse and returns with needed items

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

Liv is a conduit to Hell, but he controls the tap and the flow setting. He simply chooses how Hellfire manifests. It might be a blast of some kind of even a shield. His only real physical melee weapon is a Celestial gladius given to him by his father which he manifests at will, the way you might reach into your pockets for your keys. He just reaches for it and it's there, in his hand.

EDIT - So glad this came up again because I wanted to add that Liv will sometimes leave a calling card with a person he believes is deserving. He will snap his fingers and in a puff of flame and smoke produce an alabaster card upon which are scorched the words "The Legendary Living Hellfire" He will hand this card to the person in question with the instructions that should they ever be in danger or distress, should they ever need help that they should burn the card and Liv will hear the call and respond. It's been a hook I've used more than once and every now and again I get a /tell in game where someone has burned the card, either by throwing it into an open flame or simply by burning it with a lighter.

Edited by Living_Hellfire
Additional Information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-The Legendary Living Hellfire

"The newest person in the room is always the most important person in the room"

• 2 weeks later

I only have one Bat-archetype so she's the only one that does the "tacticool" thing (not out of "realism," mind you, more out of love for Batman's Arkham games' assault armor). I also have an archer, but just like Frank Castle, her quiver works on Hollywood/comicbook logic).

The rest? Well, like regular superheroes, they get by on spandex, their powers, and keeping their phone in a boot or glove. Those few that make use of props usually have means to procure them either ex-nihilo or faster than my screen's refresh rate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

• 4 weeks later

I have very few magic characters... but my main is one of them. And he just sort of summons things from his Patron's void. So in his case, it's a boring answer such as 'magic!'

For my mutant speedster Chad Booker... he's a fan of fanny packs. I have a few emotes that show off that he gets his new bullet magazines from his fanny pack during missions. Fanny packs are the key to good villainy!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

As many have said it depends on if the item is rp or simply and only utilitarian. Let's face it, even if you mainly rp there are things that you have to kind of look past. If I am in trouble and recharge is completely nerfed I have no problem using wand and staff even though that does not show up as costume pieces. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

• 3 weeks later

belt tac, imp stealth and post Apop

Chest detail stealth

backpack school, golfbag moneybag

pants camo/cargo 

female only padded fingerless gloves

i also explain either with tech or magic  port system to deliver items i need but couldnt explain how i was carrying said item or equiptment. we have been using arrest-me tags to explain where the defeated bodies went.

Edited by American Valor

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

FBSA Home Page

So far the only character I have that carries 'something' that doesn't fit in pockets or pouches or utility belts is Stick Figure.

She's a blind martial artist that uses various sticks/spears/etc so in her civilian guise she carries a cane ( sadly the costume has it rendered as a pool cue, yay).   In combat, the staff is kind of RP'd as 'whatever is at hand', be it a mop, a shower curtain rod, a broom stick, a flagpole, et cetera.

Storm Lotus is dual blades stalker, so she's got the full modern KoA derived ninja suit, with nightvision goggles, utility belt, and her sai and serrated KoA machete in scabbards on her back.

Everyone else? Either has a nullspace pocket to keep everything from their cellphone to their supply of knockout darts, or they're magical and can manifest whatever's needed via a portal to a pocket dimension.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!