Why Is Street Justice: Spinning Strike taking Ranged AoE enhancement?

Erratic1

The description for Spinning Strike is:

You execute a spinning attack that first strikes with your fist and finally your heel hitting your foe and all enemies immediately nearby. Spinning Strike deals Heavy Smashing damage and has a high chance to knockdown foes. Spinning Strike is a Finisher and sets your Combo Level to 0. It will deal additional damage and will have a greater chance to knockdown dependent upon the current Combo Level. At Combo Level 3, Spinning Strike also has a moderate chance to briefly inflict Terrorize in nearby foes.

In the Enhancement screen, mousing over the power shows:

StJHuh.jpg.6942ddc0488496e6bc0ae1927bdead73.jpg

Under the power name it is listed as Melee (Targeted AoE). And yet under Allowed Enhancement Set Categories it is included in Ranged AoE Damage.

They repackaged Targeted AoE and Cones as Ranged AoE Damage, so that's just a continuity typo that was missed.

Why is it a ranged AoE instead of a melee AoE?  No idea.  But it just means I put in the Annihilation -res proc instead of the Fury of the Gladiator -res proc.

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Psyonico said:

I think it has something to do with the fact that it isn't a PBAoE, it's a Targeted AoE with a very short range.

I think it's a mistake. It was implemented as a TAoE but it is clearly meant to be a melee attack.  The weapon is feet and fists.  Nothing is thrown, shot, or expelled from the attacker.  It's not a ranged attack.  It specifically excludes range enhancement which means even if you slot a Ranged AoE set with range enhancement, it is wasted.

The reason it was implemented as a TAoE when attacks like this are usually cones is probably to do with the Terrorize effect that occurs at combo level 3.  It has a radius larger than the power itself (10ft vs. 6ft).  Conceptually, I guess, this is supposed to be enemies near the ones you hit being scared/awed by the attack on their friends.  Anyway, this seems to be possible via the "Outer Radius" tag on child effects.  Don't know if something like that is available for cones.

A target AoE meant that the AoE radiates from the target, which is true of spinning kick.

My guess is that when TAoE enhancements were renamed to Ranged AoE, changing spinning kick would have impacted too many player builds, so it was kept the way it was.

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

The very idea of a spinning kick screams of PbAoE.

It's high in the front, nothing in the back.  Not much on the sides.  Really doesn't animate like a PBAoE, definitely gives the impression of a cone when you watch it.  It's not the same animation used by Spinning Strike.  Or, it's not the same animation used by a Street/Shield Spinning Strike.  I don't know of the shield changes anything, I only have that one Street Justice character.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

From my understanding it works exactly the same as Touch of Fear in dark melee, which does take melee aoe sets.  I think it taking ranged aoe is a mistake, or as someone said they were afraid it'd mess up too many builds.  Touch of Fear's change was more recent so they classified it the way "it should be". 

It's been grandfathered. The AoE sets used to be called PBAoE and Targeted AoE before being renamed Melee AoE and Ranged AoE, respectively. The old names were ambiguous, and frequently caused confusion about which kind of power they were meant for, even among the dev staff. Spinning Strike was one such example.

• Thumbs Up 1

By chance, is spinning attack actually a targeted AoE attack?  As in... it hits in a sphere around your target... as opposed to a cone emanating from you?  It's been a while since I played one of my street justice toons, but I remember this attack hits a crowd really well.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

33 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

By chance, is spinning attack actually a targeted AoE attack?  As in... it hits in a sphere around your target... as opposed to a cone emanating from you?  It's been a while since I played one of my street justice toons, but I remember this attack hits a crowd really well.

Yes, but there are other "sphere around an enemy" attacks that use melee aoe sets.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:06 PM, Major_Decoy said:

I'd imagine that the reason it's a TAoE and not a cone is that a cone only hits in front of you. They didn't give Street Justice a full circle PBAoE, and things like to cluster around you.

Cone.thumb.jpg.ee92e415a112c82b99977d5552441dc3.jpg

bold choice in graphics

@Luminara I also thought something was off, but it seems to check out. All good.

Spoiler

image.png.53b602a69c2cf90e04e225cfceb805c8.png

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dumb original dev design. It should 100% be changed to pbaoe and take melee aoe sets. Even the animation is pbaoe. This has always been a stupid bane on STJ and consistently makes it one of the worst aoe on a melee set in the game (not looking at stalkers of course cause oof MA). even dark melee has better aoe than STJ does now.

Edited by WindDemon21