City Mod Installer (Released)

• City Council

Hello All!

I'm editing this post to announce the release of the City Mod Installer!

You can grab the application here: https://mods.cityofheroes.dev End users do not need to register on the site to download mods, just download the installer from the link on the page, unzip it somewhere, launch it and point it at your City of Heroes install. (By default it will look in C:\Games\Homecoming, as this is the default location that HC installs to.  If you've installed City elsewhere then just select that folder).  If it finds an existing "data" folder it will prompt you to rename that folder, otherwise your new mods may not work correctly.

image.thumb.png.6b7575709b1df4536ee0cbe9cf827328.png

Make sure you click Add to Launcher -> HC Launcher (or Tequila) depending on whichever you use.
image.png.5aa3aed7974ccd3ae5cba5d173f35499.png

My tool uses a different method than previous tools.  Other installers put loose files in the data directory which the client uses to override.  Mine uses packaged data files that the client natively reads, but requires a change to your launcher.  The "Add to Launcher" option automates that, or you can just add

-assetpath assets\mods

To your custom launch parameters.

In Tequila that's here:
image.png.a51d1e19e22ef3bc917c38c415ea3af1.png

And in HC Launcher that's here:
image.thumb.png.5ccf9f6b1e02b217eaac9199c1126cc6.png

Currently the program is not digitally signed, so when you first run it (and after any updates to the program) you will have to allow the application to run if you have Windows Smart Screen enabled, code signing certs are expensive, and are difficult to get approved for, depending on how popular the tool gets I will try to get a code signing cert to stop the annoying dialog when you run it.

If you see the below popup when running the CityModInstaller program click the "More Info" link then click "Run Anyway"

SOLVED] Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app error

Currently all of AboveTheChemist's mods are available, as well as my old enhancement standardization pack from live (I still need to update it for HC...).

Mod authors will need to sign up for an account on the mod site linked above, where they will then be able to upload their mods to the site.  The program has a utility built in to assist in packaging your mod into a .pigg for uploading to the site.  The website is VERY early in development, and will be updated ASAP to get full functionality available to creators, but I wanted to get this out into folks hands now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 22
  • Thumbs Up 12

I'm glad that PK was nice enough to provide the source for the Original app as that's not a common thing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Thank you for doing this, Michiyo.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

So, did PK share his source? From the screenshot above, I can only see that source for a mod was shared.

Either way, many thanks for doing this!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• City Council
9 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

So, did PK share his source? From the screenshot above, I can only see that source for a mod was shared.

Either way, many thanks for doing this!

He did, however this isn't based on his code.  I had already started on this tool when he posted the source on his thread.   I will be releasing this likely later today, I'm currently dealing with my GPU dying.  Sadly I bought an EVGA Card (back in February), and with them no longer making GPUs I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to get a warranty replacement.

• Like 3

Aw, man!

The reporting on EVGA I've been following says they held back a certain amount of stock for just this reason, so I am hopeful you'll be taken care of!

Good luck, and thanks for your contribution.

Your app didn't look like it was based on PK's work, but I'm glad you have his source as a reference.

GL!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Further research:

Apparently, GPUs were about 80% of their income... but 70% of their expense, and 100% of their vendor grief!

(See Jayztwocents and Gamers Nexus on youtube for details. Wow!)

I've been an Nvidia fan for years, but they sound like such dicks I'm not sure I want to continue to support them.

If EVGA don't take great care of you, reach out to those youtubers, and I bet they can help.

Guess I need to buy an EVGA power supply next time!

Anyway, good luck with the project, and thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Michiyo changed the title to City Mod Installer (Released!)
  • Booper pinned this topic

This new tool is fantastic and I encourage everyone interested in mods to check it out and to heap thanks upon Michiyo for doing such a great job putting this together in such a short time.

Users of my mods should find them all available within this new installation tool. I need to update all of my mod threads to reflect the new installation process, and I won't have much, if any, time to do that over the next few days. So, if you run into installation issues with my mods, I may not be available for a few days to help sort them out. I'll get my mod threads updated as soon as I can when I get back, but in the meantime, please bear with me and try not to break anything!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do have some still functional mods I could upload the zips for though I am unsure of their authors, if someone wishes to support them or update them, have at it, I'm just trying to help rebuild the catalog of mods that I do know that work still.

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

Here's some of the mods I currently have zips still for. Um, I know, I'm scrambling to help anyway I can here. I don't create mods but I do use them for better visual (font sizes neeeeed to be added for UI readability) and some others for more simple effects. The only audio ones I have is for the wolf whimper, transformer sounds for robotics mm minions, and the demons to kittens audio mods however those three are too large to add to this thread. All of them are functional, though may need updating in the code side of things which is a complete mystery to me.

Base Teleporter Labels.zip Gender Neutral Sonic Blast.zip HighVisibilityMouseCursorsSetD.zip Numbered Inspirations.zip SG_TP_Label_Mod.zip Svarty Teleport.zip VerdanaFontReplacer.zip

15 minutes ago, Tarrquinn said:

I made some music mods (and a muted Hasten) for COHModder, so I'll definitely get those uploaded ASAP so others can use them. Just gotta figure out how to get my .ogg files to become .pigg files. Thank you very much for making this tool!

Wait, did you make the minion sound edits? Cause those are freaking awesome.

• City Council
2 hours ago, Tarrquinn said:

I made some music mods (and a muted Hasten) for COHModder, so I'll definitely get those uploaded ASAP so others can use them. Just gotta figure out how to get my .ogg files to become .pigg files. Thank you very much for making this tool!

The installer has a utility for pigging your mods.  Just put them into a data folder (not one in your city install) with the proper folder structure, then use Tools -> Create Mod enter a filename for your resulting .pigg, select the data folder you made, then click build.  It'll package everything up as a .pigg which can then be uploaded to the website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crystal Dragon said:

Wait, did you make the minion sound edits? Cause those are freaking awesome.

Nothing like that. My stuff was putting the original tracks back to Atlas, Mercy, & DA; plus a rescoring of Praetoria's zones with music from the original OST. And I muted Hasten because the sound bothered me a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

• City Council

I just converted and imported ~170 mods from the Modder tool over to the new format.  I've not tested all of them, but I see no reason they wouldn't work.   If you find non working mods please let me know.  For the original authors of these mods, if you would like them assigned to you so you can edit them / update them please sign up to the mod site, let me know your username (if different) and I will assign them to you.  You ARE currently credited in the mod description in the tool, and on the site's mod list.

@Tarrquinn  I've assigned the mods I could spot were yours to you on the Mod site.

Edited by Michiyo
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Up 1