How skilled are you?

FFFF

Hm...  Let's see...

• Movement - 4/5 - The only place I haven't mastered traversing is the Shadow Shard.  If I'm not flying or not getting ported, I'm not there.

• Leading task forces/raids - 1/5 - I could do this, there's not much to it anymore [thank you, Super Sidekicking!  (b^.^)b ].  I just have bad luck that nobody's interested to go when I am.

• Character builds - 4/5 - I don't have a build planned out from beginning to end starting at level 1.  I don't use Mids.  I don't crunch the numbers.  I don't bankrupt myself of Inf in an effort to have the absolute best IO sets to plug into each character.  However, I have characters who can take on threats higher than the default, characters who can go way beyond the default and when teaming, no matter what the team leader has set the challenge to, I never have a sinking feeling that we're going to fail.  I'm having fun.

• Badging - 2/5 - There are some badges I know and seek out, otherwise, I don't pay much attention.

• Key binds - 0/5 - This is a thing?

• In-game knowledge - 4/5 - I LOVE me some lore in this game.  I often shake my head and sigh when people complain that they don't understand why things are happening.  If you spent so long ignoring the lore then start complaining, what right do you have to complain?  I mean, understanding the lore is why players didn't like the Who Will Die arc, because it was a bunch of disjointed murder plots that ended with some rando killing Statesman when he had absolutely NO indication that was something he wanted to do or even had that kind of pull in the setting before that moment.  It left players wondering if the Paragon devs even cared about what they were writing.  Now, playing through the game again and again on my many, many characters and seeing the lore largely frozen in place, I can see that era of the game's writing was reflective of the Comic Book Industry's "Dark Age" of comics...  It doesn't make it good, but it does make it ironically funny.
Edited by rolandgrey
Accidentally posted before ready.
  • Like 1

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

• Movement - 2 - I take Fly on every character for a reason, laziness. 😄 As for setting up cones and aoes? I try my best.
  • Leading task forces/raids - 0 -  I don't lead teams. I may default into a field captain if things go haywire, but I don't have it in me to lead teams. 
  • Character builds - 3 - With the caveat that I make builds to suit my style, not necessarily the meta, but they work. 
  • Badging - 2.5 - I can fly around some zones without the map and collect badges (but could get lost in my backyard, a fact my wife loves to point out).
  • Key binds - 1 - I can change costumes and make my MM pets dance. Aaaaand that's about it. 
  • In-game knowledge - 4 - This comes from me having to remember stuff and learn new stuff so my uncle who plays can do so without getting frustrated with all the inside knowledge stuff. I became his personal wiki. 

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

You left off inciting forum rage .....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Forums  - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

Spam Response- Spam, in the context of cybersecurity, refers to any unsolicited and often irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent over the internet. 

5. Unless I'm zoned out, I'd say my movement is pretty on point.

4. I prefer not to, but when I do, it tends to go well enough. Someone like Veracor should probably be considered a 6.

5. I'm one of the best character builders, and others have told me such. >.>

5. Badges are pretty easy to get for me on any character. Though I've only really gone for 100% on the warshade.

5. My bind setup is pretty good for me.

4. Some gray areas in terms of lore and power history, but my grasp of the game is pretty solid.

11 hours ago, Greycat said:

I rate myself: 7, banana, C#, I-94 Eastbound, Fnord and Taylor the Singing Antelope.

You're insane. NO ONE is banana. No one...:-)

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I don't suck at the game.... But I also no longer have the patience or interest to do a lot with it. 

Tweaking a build to within an inch of its life? Sure. I can do that if I want to. But it's not something that I enjoy doing anymore, so I usually don't. The way I typically play doesn't demand it. A simple, solid build is good enough.

Leading teams and TFs? Back in the Liberty days, I was one of the regular iTrial cat-herders. In Homecoming's early days, I joined and hosted all kinds of regular teams and PI smash-fests. These days? I'm solo/small-team only. I find that I no longer have the patience to deal with a herd of mostly-strangers acting like kinetic crack-monkeys who aren't going to listen to a word anyone says. So I don't. 

Movement? I bounce around like a flying Tasmanian devil. But, again, better solo or with a small team than in a full team or league where it feels like I'm always at positional cross-purposes with at least one other player. Or a dozen.

I save my PvPing for other games, so I have no real aspirations for it here.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

12 hours ago, roleki said:

Doh, I thought that was supposed to be Binary for a minute. >.<

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 10/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, Snarky said:

mostly 2/5 on all.  i know a few things, but i seen people just walk on stuff and pwn content

Yeah, about this too for me, because otherwise I have to really work at it and that detracts from the fun of pewpewpew.  I don't twitch game, oh and I have never once done a bind.  Macros I have lots of, but I don't write them myself, I just pick them up from you helpful folk on the forums.

• Like 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• Movement - 4.5/5  I've been practicing.
  • Leading task forces/raids - 1/5 only a little experience with task force leadership, none with raids
  • Character builds - 3.5/5 I've got some reasonable builds at the high end, but I've others I just can seem to get past certain key weaknesses.
  • Badging - 3/5
  • Key binds - 0/5 never much looked into doing it.
  • In-game knowledge - 3.5/5 - I still discover many things unknown to me on blue side, but I'm pretty good at the details there.  It gets worse when I get into red or gold sides.

Is coding a bot script considered a skill? If it is, I'm quite skillful at that.

• Movement skills - 3 The bots will go wherever I want them to go, albeit they walk like lobotomized patients.
  • Leading task forces/raids - 5 Nobody (my bots) ever complained about my leadership skills. We still walk like lobotomized patients.
  • Character builds - Irrelevant. Some bugs allow me to kill NPCs regardless of their difficulty. 
  • Badging - Irrelevant, thanks to the wiki.
  • Key binds - Irrelevant because they are bots. Their attack patterns are hard-coded.
  • In-game knowledge - Irrelevant, thanks to the wiki and search engine.
Edited by huang3721
XD

11 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Doh, I thought that was supposed to be Binary for a minute. 

Close enough, it's a binary dog whistle.

Those of you who continue to profess a belief in the Users will receive the standard, substandard training which will result in your eventual elimination.
That will be all.

I can press 1-2-3 (and maybe 4 for a slower recharge build) over and over until either I'm dead or there are no more targets.  That's all it takes to be elite in this game.

Real talk tho - I'm sometimes shocked at how movement has declined as I've gotten older.  I used to be whatever the highest score was, would deliberately try to land Super Mario precision jumps while running around zones but those days... gone.

Edited by Hedgefund
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later

• Movement skills - 10 of 10. I love this aspect of the game but it is easy compared to some others. Im very good at Destiny2 for example which has jumping puzzles with the jet packs and cover and all that. 
  • Leading task forces/raids - 2of 10. I really appreciate that others lead. But I admit I sometimes get frustrated if people are running around like crazy chickens and Ill just start demolishing stuff myself (because, see below). So, I know Im not great at leading because many people arent good at following and usually dont. 
  • Character builds 10 of 10–- I min max the crap out of builds. Like, Im so bad about it really that I basically delete a character if I cant get them to be able to solo a smash lethal farm at +4 x 8. Even support characters. 
  • Badging - 6 of 10…i cant remember this stuff but I have a spreadsheet! 
  • Key binds - 10 of 10…I know them all. Often help others in game. 
  • In-game knowledge - 4 of 10…Replying to this now I realize, I should do more different stuff. I know the common stuff people do regularly, but dont go off the beaten trail enough. 

• Movement 4/5. Most jumps are easier than you think, and the biggest contributor to missed cones is the target dying when the cone is queued up as the next power and the game autotargeting another mob. I blame the game for that though. All cones should be facing cones and not targeted cones.
  • Leader 1/5. I have little patience for many of the people in PUGs. I'll set challenges like time and limited defeats, but I'm never hardcore about achieving them.
  • Builds 3/5. I can make a competent build, but don't have the detailed knowledge of set bonuses to really weave together a really good build.
  • Badging 1.75/5. I have a badge tracking mod for the exploration ones, but it's not really an interest of mine to ferret them all out. Maybe once I get some full Incarnates...
  • Key binds. 4.5/5, I have a text file of keybinds that has lots of QoL binds plus the stadard MM ones (and I've modified those to have emotes along with them). A big help with this is the Technical Reference Guide you can find at shenanigunner.com
  • In game knowledge 4.5/5. I'm a nerd that likes to write bios for my characters, so I've read a lot of extra material to weave things into those bios. Stuff like living in White Plains when the disaster that made it into Crey's Folly happened. 

• Movement - 5/5 I used to PvP and still haven't lost my skill in kiting and jousting, I keep super speed on all times and joust around to minimize melee downtime, and maximise my AoEs. Regardless of the character I'm basically always in motion.
  • Leading task forces/raids - 2/5 I can do it just fine on most basic TF, but I usually prefer not to, and I don't even try to lead stuff like Itrails
  • Character builds - 5/5 I have over 100 builds I have made in my mids folder, I don't consider a build complete unless it can solo most groups at 4x8 and solo 54 AV/GMs (unless that's specifically not what I want or effectively impossible).
  • Badging - 3/5 I badge casually but I'm no were near the level of some of the crazy folks around here.
  • Key binds - 2/5 I can do some basic binds but.... I don't play PB/WS, even my MM just lives on the simple stuff.
  • In-game knowledge - 4/5 I'm shocked when I learn something new, I feel like I'm about at the edge of what one can learn with this game without becoming a huge number cruncher or going into the code itself. Not that I'm never wrong though, CoH is an absolutely vast game.

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker