Where did you go post-Sunset?

Scarlet Shocker

I guess this has been asked before, but I am curious. I went to The Secret World and Mech Warrior Online, and coincidentally I just popped back to MWO to discover it's had an unfortunate cataclysmic issue which has almost entirely disrupted gameplay for most players.

I won't detail it because this isn't about fails (in fact quite the opposite - I really enjoy MWO and hope it recovers very soon. Sadly the same is unlikely of SWL as it's now known) but I am aware both my alternatives were markedly different from CoH. It got me wondering what most of you chose, did you go for something as similar as possible or quite unlike?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I went to Champions and got bored within a month (managed to bump into a coh friend there though). Then I tried DCUO. I loved a lot about it except for the low level cap, lack of zones and the main game really being the endgame. Then I played Lord of The Rings Online for over 700 hours with my wife until I was done with that. Somewhere in between all this I also tried WoW, D&D and Tera. Nothing held my interest really.

I gave up hoping any of those 'spiritual successor' games would be in a fit state while I was still alive.

Oh and I forgot, Star trek Online for all of 2 minutes.

Edited by MrAxe
Forgot a thing.

I went to Neverwinter. What a grind.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

After trying and abandoning Champions and Star Trek Online, I ended up playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. I played all the classes on light and dark side to max level and joined a fairly active guild. The stories are pretty good but it's very much tied to the DPS/Tank/Healer meta. End game is grindy as you're constantly forced to upgrade your gear to play the newest content.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Interesting topic, Scarlet Shocker; for myself, I gave both Champions and DC Online a shot...never got past designing a character in either game.  Did, very briefly, try Conan and, however beautifully the game was designed, just couldn't get past the difficulty and apparent repetition in taking down opponents.  Could have been an equipment issue with an old, overused mouse on my part, but still.  I have concluded that CoX was, is, and probably always will be the only MMPOG I have any interest in getting involved in, and for that I have to pass on my deepest thanks to Jack Emmert and the original Devs for their excellent work, and our always-appreciated Homecoming crew for resurrecting that which was mostly - not completely, but mostly - dead and allowing us to, once again, see through a keyhole into another world.

• Like 2

Nowhere (unless you count throwing my hat into the City of Titans project, and you can see how well that went).  I thought of trying one or two others out there, but just couldn't get myself to really care enough to.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I gave Champions and DCO a chance, as well as some other MMOS but they just didn't do anything for me.  Wound up getting big into Unreal Tournament and Team Fortress for a while, then Rocket League and Wreckfest. 

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Seems a lot of you went to Champs and DCUO. Nobody mentioned the Marvel MMO written by Bendis based on Diablo. Personally I couldn't ever get into it. I did try pretty well all the MMOs mentioned but I never found something as good as CoH.

The only MMO that came close was TSW, which had an amazing story, great graphics, and unique skill wheels, but best of all IMO was the mission system, which was unique and interesting. The biggest issue with it was the difficulty level and the fact it was based on the trinity of tank, dps and heals which I personally found boring. By the time they'd stopped it being hardcore the game was already on its knees and even relaunching as Secret World Legends didn't save it which is kind of sad because conceptually it rocked.

MWO was and remains fantastic IF (big caveat) you enjoy PVP and are prepared to drop cash into it to get the best mechs. But it does even now have a good community backed up by solid lore and gameplay, but it's incredibly different to trad MMOs

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Hmmm I finished up undergrad and then grad school, and then just became a slave to the grind.

Game wise I played probably an unhealthy amount of EVE online, but I had a crazy system that paid for about 2 dozen accounts in Plex so I didn't have to pay a dime. I also did Wow where I mailed a Warlock and got competitive on progress and DPS boards for my server. Never broken the number spot, but they say second is the best for a reason.

• Like 1

Did a heck of a lot more hiking and photography, though not sure if I upped the amount that much because of sunset.

Gaming wise, I volunteer programmed for Lacuna Expanse and helped keep it going for four more years before it shut down.

And then moved back to Oregon and reinvolved with a cat shelter.   HC been working well for casual play since 2019.

• Like 1

Nowhere. I played Civ 5 and 6 (and still do, though I wish some elements of 6 were in 5, since I prefer it, overall).. Did Star Trek Online for a short while. Thought about revisiting Champions, but then remembered my previous experience with it.:-) Played a lot of Tabletop when I had local groups. Now, everything's online, including my Dungeon World crew.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Path of Exile is the only game which really stuck. KotOR was close to sticking for me as an MMO, but I didn't want another sub.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I went to Champions Online with about ten Babes of War but that didn't last long which actually hurt because I played the PnP RPG for years.  Dipped into Eve Online for a bit but that is true spreadsheet warfare there.  Star Trek Online for a cup of coffee.  Revisited a lot of offline games instead, (Fallout Series, Wasteland, Harpoon).  Then just gave up and played iPad games.  Actually got kind of hooked on Super Stylist (that skirt looks wretched with this blouse).  Just kind of assumed the days of video games were past me.

Then Homecoming . . . hooray

Still play Super Stylist thought, Bella Stenburg needs to stop wearing peplum cut jackets.  I can help.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

WoW.  I still have an account there.  I spent a month or so there about six months ago.  In my opinion they have smoothed many things.  They have also made the game complete boring to level.  Unless you are a rabid discord oriented social league player end game content is near impossible to get into.  So… you get boring or you invest 40+ hours a week ( plus a large up front investment) to play “ current “ content.  A true shit show.  As a side note i do not love the handling of undead race or shadow powers nearly as much as the time they invested into them should indicate 

• Like 1

I joined the Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) beta with my former SG-mates and then we played live for years, until life just got in the way of gaming.  I then mostly solo'd in SWTOR for a few years after, until they kept increasing levels and making a new grind for top gear - that got old.  But man, i loved the content!  I still pop in every now and then.

7 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

It got me wondering what most of you chose, did you go for something as similar as possible or quite unlike?

I have yet to encounter a game that I would call similar to COH.  I suppose one could argue that Champions Online is closest, in some sense, but then one would be wrong.  Even with a chunk of the Cryptic team behind it, CO was basically a single-player game (insert obligatory IMO here) in which teaming up was only for special occasions (raid-style missions, that one really tough world boss, etc.).  I could go on about all the other MMOs I did play, but there wouldn't be much point - in all cases, teamwork was always hampered by dumb things like repair costs, speed runs, unmanageably huge and impossibly choreographed raids, and all the other ridiculous things people invent to give games a false sense of "meaning" or "consequences" or "sense of accomplishment."

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty much done with MMOs.  Give me Skyrim or Civ5 and I'm happy.

I tried Champions Online and WoW, but I never really felt at home in either one there like I do here. It's funny to say, since most of us are complete strangers, but it really does feel like a community here. There are bad apples here and there, sure, but for the most part, this feels more like family, and obviously there's the nostalgia. A large swath of the community actually cares and helps out when they could just easily ignore stuff. I've seen players get married in game back on live, and even when the unfortunate happens and a player passes away, the community comes together for a remembrance. It seems like this community is there for each other through the good times and the bad, and that is rare to see even in the real world and it is very heartwarming. This was the first MMO I ever played, and I guess it's like they say, "You dance with the one who brings you.”  😄

• Like 1

Just now, Greenmantle said:

I tried Champions Online and WoW, but I never really felt at home in either one there like I do here. It's funny to say, since most of us are complete strangers, but it really does feel like a community here. There are bad apples here and there, sure, but for the most part, this feels more like family, and obviously there's the nostalgia. A large swath of the community actually cares and helps out when they could just easily ignore stuff. I've seen players get married in game back on live, and even when the unfortunate happens and a player passes away, the community comes together for a remembrance. It seems like this community is there for each other through the good times and the bad, and that is rare to see even in the real world and it is very heartwarming. This was the first MMO I ever played, and I guess it's like they say, "You dance with the one who brings you.”  😄

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

/e poofgone

8 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I guess this has been asked before, but I am curious. I went to The Secret World

Same here.  That game was amazing.  It (deservedly) won awards for the writing.

When CoH shut down, it was the only MMO I played so I decided to branch out.  Since then, I've played Everquest 2, Red Dead Online, Black Desert Online, Divinity: Original Sin, Sea of Thieves and Elder Scrolls Online.  I also play a bunch of shooter games: Borderlands 2 and 3, The Division 1 and 2, Far Cry 3 and 6, Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I've played building/survival games for a long time - Minecraft, Starbound, Valheim, The Forest, 7 Days To Die, No Man's Sky.  And, finally, I play a bunch of 4X games: Sid Meier's Civilization 4, 5 and 6, Stellaris.

So, yeah.  Once upon a time, City of Heroes was my only online game.  Now, my Steam library has 67 games and I have a few more under the Epic and Ubisoft launchers plus a few with their own launchers.

Edited by Ironblade
  • Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Originally I went to the real world for a while, working while getting my MBA, etc....  This began was before sunset.  In fact I learned about sunset after the fact and missed out on seeing CoH one last time.   I spent a lot of time with Netflix and Amazon Prime as well at that time.

I dabbled in DCUO for a while.  I did Monster Hunter World for a while as well.  Both of those were good games, but I never got into them enough to get to max level/endgame play.  Again, real life got in the way more than bad game expiriences.

I spent a few years at Champions Online and fully flushed out multiple endgame builds (if you were there, my most notable toon was Collision Theory).  I enjoyed it actually, but it really was just scratching the itch that CoH filled so well.  Once I got around to logging into homecoming, I never logged back into CO.

I nearly went down the rabbit hole of Table Top D&D with online gameplay options... but never really pulled that string completely.  Mostly I just spent 3-4 months doing character builds and never playing them.

Currently my free-time rotating between CoH, Mountain Biking (weather permitting), Netflix, Duolingo, and Clash Royale.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Gacha games

Fell into a group that played Monster Super League, which is mostly a standard turn based game with a capture mechanic like Pokemon. Anyway from there, Fire Emblem Heroes, Azure Lane, and probably dozens of titles I've forgotten. With most of them, I was able to have a pretty good time even being a very small spender (about $10 month). I did end up splurging on a few of them, and before it got real bad, I dropped them cold turkey.

• Like 1