Focused Feedback: New Player Experience (NPE) Improvements

Personally, on the Kheldian numbers. I would move WS pets to 4 or even 5, as Extracted Essence is argueably stronger then most controller pets. Leaving it that low feels wrong.

For Peacebringers I would move there control 1 point higher as well. PBs do have the option for an aoe stun, repeatable KD effects, and a ST cc on there big melee hit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Kheldians and VEATs should be prompted on whether they want to play the tutorial, just like every other AT - and they should also tell you in the character description that these ATs automatically start as heroes and villains, respectively. If we're going through the trouble of giving Kheldians numbers instead of question marks in the character creator as a way to better explain them to new players, there is zero reason they should automatically skip the tutorial. Or at least give the epic ATs a note saying something along the lines of "not recommended for new players."

EDIT: I also confirmed the new unlock method for Long Range Teleporter works as described in the patch notes but I find myself agreeing with the person on Discord who said that having LRT unlock for either getting 10 exploration badges or a zone's exploration accolade is a better alternative. With the way the unlock is implemented in this build getting the Atlas Park exploration accolade gets me credit for 8 of the 10 badges but I still have to go hunt down the remaining two, and none of the connecting zones to AP (or the lower-level zones accessible via train) have two badges that are particularly close to the areas where you'd enter those zones. I went to the Hollows to grab the last two and even the two closest to the AP entrance required me to navigate around enemies that were up to eight levels higher than me. The addition of athletic run and the raptor pack made getting those two badges faster but it was still risky and I wouldn't expect it to be intuitive to a new player.

Edited by macskull
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, macskull said:

still have to go hunt down the remaining two, and none of the connecting zones to AP (or the lower-level zones accessible via train) have two badges that are particularly close to the areas where you'd enter those zones.

Using the jetpack, it took me less than a minute from exiting the tram to collecting two more in King's Row (Wentworth History Buff and Upgraded).  Keen Sighted and Mystic King/Queen are also close by and easily grabbed with the jetpack.

I'm on the fence as to whether it's too much or not, but once they figure out how to find badges and how to travel, getting the extra two need not be that difficult.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I like all of the changes you've made to improve the New Player Experience. I'd like to recommend one more change, if it's possible. The following items will be locked out until the account has at least 1 level 10 character:

1. Pretoria
  2. Veats/Heats
  3. Galaxy City start/tutorial
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

16 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I like all of the changes you've made to improve the New Player Experience. I'd like to recommend one more change, if it's possible. The following items will be locked out until the account has at least 1 level 10 character:

1. Pretoria
  2. Veats/Heats
  3. Galaxy City start/tutorial

These things don't need to be gated, they need to be explained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Hello! I have a request.

Currently, Peacebringers and Warshades (hello @Laucianna 👀) show ? for all stats during character creation, like so:

image.png

While this does have some mild thematic significance, it's rather unhelpful for new players. In the next build we'll be adding numbers here for Kheldians, and also potentially updating some other ATs if we think the numbers aren't quite right (for example, Arachnos Soldiers have a pets rating of 2, which is clearly inaccurate).

These are the proposed numbers for Peacebringers and Warshades:

image.png

image.png

Please do let me know what you think. We're definitely open for input on the Kheldian numbers, and for any other ATs that could do with having their numbers tweaked.

Keep in mind that the goal here is to better communicate the strengths and weaknesses of each AT to inexperienced players, rather than be a raw reflection of the actual balance of each AT.

Honestly this will help a TON towards new players knowing what to expect from a Kheldian ❤️ I will need to check the values against what the other AT's are later to see if anything should be changed as I feel like the PB melee damage and Crowd Control (So many kb/kd attacks count as great CC imo) could be 1 point higher, but without seeing what the other AT numbers are I'm not going to cement that idea XD

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if we need the designation of 'Primal Earth' and 'Praetorian Earth', since that could confuse new players.

Maybe just stick to the most common line people know it for, 'City of Heroes'.

For Praetorian Earth, just name it 'Praetoria' and add to the description that this is part of the Going Rogue expansion.

• Like 5

Love the changes, the game is filled with new player "Traps" currently and this does a pretty good job at addressing alot of them. The new icons for the orgin powers look good, and I'm all for them starting to scale later. Athletic run by default is a good call, considering it's the first thing I always recommend to any new player to pick up. I have to agree with the others who have brought it up, but if we can, it would be nice to have the LRT from either 10 exploration badges OR one accolade. If I had to choose one, it would probably be 10 exploration badges as it more likely to happen naturally, so still a good change in my book. The updated buttons for Primal and praetorian earth look great. I've been wanting that "Not recommended for new players" text on Pretoria and the EATs ever since the requirements were removed. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes to the stats pages as some of them are just nonsensical (Widow has a 2 in control despite fort being very control focused and SoA has a 3 despite having a AoE imob and a hold tops) that's needed a update for ages.

The only thing here I'm really on the fence about is handing out a jet-pack at level 1, while this is something people recommend to alot of new players it feels odd without any context or earning it in any way. I would rather see this given at the end of the tutorial or maybe near the start of any of the early contacts, that way it's still easy and likely a new player will obtain it, but isn't just on their character from the get go and is still "earned". We could even maybe include it as part of the tutorial to introduce them to the P2W vender.

Edited by Riot Siren
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker 

12 hours ago, FupDup said:

The patch notes are very misleading on this change. The text for Loyalist is gold, not red like the notes imply. Resistance however is currently a medium blue like Hero, which I noted above. 

image.thumb.png.25fd727c2513aecd923c5b408dbd755b.png

I think it might be interesting and appropriate to have Resistance and Loyalists as different shades of purple.  Like Violet for Resistance and Magenta for Loyalists.

cd7cbbd5d47c27cb90ab59ee12d96b51.jpg.79c9509f6b92a3777a57233e91d7918c.jpg

I also think it could use an explanation or list of the "11 basic archetypes" or a list of the 4 you can't get as a Praetorian.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

Nice addition.

I have been playing CoH since Beta and never played a Prat on live or early in Homecoming so when I tried to make one, I had to ask for help.  This is a really good idea.  Riding others tails, the since of Prat click bar should be the same as H/V and while I like the idea of coloring the resistance logo, I also think that it might fool people into thinking there is a good or bad guy side . . . they are all kind of creeps 🙂

Quibble - Not sure why you are handing out a jet pack.  Dont need it for the tutorial, or learning to play in AP or DFB.  Is it so you can get to the top of Atlas Globe/City Hall for the 10 badges?  P2W already has a free jump pack, use that. - End Quibble

Edited by High_Beam
Added a quibble that didnt rate a seperate post

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Started a new character in Outbreak.  Really like the improvements.  Some comments and suggestions:

1) Take the P2W vendor out of the tutorial.  For a truly new player, they won't need it and they don't have any money yet so there's only so much they can buy.  Worse, is that they might buy the double exp boosts, which are fine if they know what they are getting into, but this could start them on the road to poverty right away.

2) With the jet pack and athletic run, navigating Outbreak is much quicker so much so that I would suggest having the initial contact in the zone explain how to use them.

3) The AT initial powers are so nice, especially since I was playing on a Controller.   I would reiterate the calls above to allow the power to be slotted.  I would also perhaps have the scaling drop slightly less for those ATs that can use another attack (well just controllers really).

4) The tutorial officers have the yellow quest available sign even after you've talked to them.  I guess this isn't really a problem for truly new players, but I kept trying to get them to turn it off!

5) Finally, on the money thing.  I would drop them a little nest egg of influence right out of the tutorial.  Something small like 100K, just enough that they can buy a few enhancers and inspirations. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Psi-bolt said:

Take the P2W vendor out of the tutorial. 

I was about to make the opposite suggestion and recommend a mention of P2W before entering, or some kind of indication that folks should talk to her.  Alternatively, and perhaps splitting the baby -- place the P2W at the end of the tutorial with a suggestion that you talk to her if you need "equipment."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
14 hours ago, FupDup said:

For the origin attacks, would it be possible to let them carry enhancement sets? They're never gonna be competitive at a high level because they're not supposed to be, but it could still have niche uses for muling set bonuses or slotting accuracy at low levels. 

They actually already have 20% bonus accuracy. I was considering boosting it up to 35% (just above a single SO) and may still do that.

We won't be making them slottable though, as they are solely there to fill the attack chain gap early game.

• Like 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council
1 hour ago, Psi-bolt said:

3) The AT initial powers are so nice, especially since I was playing on a Controller.   I would reiterate the calls above to allow the power to be slotted.

Those powers can be switched out, so making them slottable is a no-go; you would lose the slots and any enhancements slotted on them when swapping.

• Like 1

What I would suggest though (if possible), is to remove the XP boosts from the P2W/T4V vendor in Outbreak, Breakout, and Precinct 5.  (I have no idea if there is one in the Galaxy City tutorial as I haven't done it since live, but if there is one there as well, then for that P2W vendor as well).  New players may see "Ooh, double XP," without realizing that it's a trap like @Psi-bolt pointed out.  I'd also suggest removing it from the P2W vendors in Atlas Park and Mercy Island as well for the same reason, but that would very likely receive more pushback even though it'd still be available in the P2W vendors in Fort Trident, The Crucible, Grandville, Pocket D, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

• City Council

@Wavicle @FupDup @Lockely @Clam Leader @Laucianna @Bionic_Flea @50caltech @lemming (not going to quote a big wall of posts)

Thanks for the feedback on the text / numbers! Will work on some tweaks for the next build. And a prettier colour for the Resistance 🙂

• Like 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Continuing with stuff that has probably been an issue since live...  (But since you're in that area...)

Under Technology:

"The source of your powers is the technological gadgets and devices you wield"

Shouldn't that be "are"?

1 minute ago, lemming said:

Continuing with stuff that has probably been an issue since live...  (But since you're in that area...)

Under Technology:

"The source of your powers is the technological gadgets and devices you wield"

Shouldn't that be "are"?

No, Source is singular.  Otherwise it would be sources. Source here being read as a mass noun, like the sea.  The sea is, not the sea are.

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

40 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

@Wavicle @FupDup @Lockely @Clam Leader @Laucianna @Bionic_Flea @50caltech @lemming (not going to quote a big wall of posts)

Thanks for the feedback on the text / numbers! Will work on some tweaks for the next build. And a prettier colour for the Resistance 🙂

But Jimmy!  Don't forget to change the color in game as well.  Every time you have a Praetorian alignment choice, you get the Blue and Gold, which I had forgotten.  So it's not just in the initial screen, and that makes it more difficult, I assume.

PS.  My computer says you misspelled color!

PPS.  I took a fly around Precinct 5 and didn't see any holes in the war walls.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:42 PM, Booper said:

Passport (and Long Range Teleporter) is now unlocked by acquiring any 10 exploration badges, instead of one exploration accolade.

Can we change this to 8? That way you can still get it by getting an exploration accolade power?

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 3

What this team needs is more Defenders

13 hours ago, Wavicle said:

In my opinion it would be preferable if somehow these were made to look a little MORE different. Make "Primal" and "Praetorian" bigger and "Earth" smaller, perhaps?

After scratching my head and realizing that I don't think I've started in Praetoria for over 4 years, I finally figured out that those images were buttons that you need to click.  It's a bit weird to ask players to make choices like this before they have any idea what is going on.

Possibly add Praetoria to the Outbreak/Breakout/Galaxy City choice dialog (the one at the end of character creation), again with the explanation that it's harder content for experienced players.

• Like 2