What Movement Ability For Missions

WuTang

For grounded heroes what do y'all use to move around in missions? Infiltration is cool but I don't always want the stealth, and the prestige stuff is not enhanceable, but works, just they also cost more end/sec. Do y'all just take Combat Jump and enhance sprint?

Thanks!

If I don't have what feels like "enough" natural movement from say IO set bonuses, I might click one of the prestige thingies like Slide.  Other than that and I end up getting hung up too often for my tastes on torches, on wall decorations, etc.  If my toon has Hover, then that's usually enough; Combat Jumping means I can hop-hop-hop at what I feel is a reasonable rate. 

If you want your insane-o speeds for a speed run, I dunno, then whatever you prefer normally I guess.

• Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

47 minutes ago, WuTang said:

For grounded heroes what do y'all use to move around in missions?

Are you talking about big open area missions or indoor/cave missions?

I always have a long distance power in slot 9 and a short distance travel power in slot 0 in the active tray.

So ...

Slot 9 - Rocket Board/Magic Carpet/Void Skiff, Day Job Flight Pack from the Shadow Shard, Mystic Flight, Flight, Super Jump, Speed of Sound, Super Speed, or Teleport.

Slot 0 - Ninja/beast/athletic, transform (panther or coyote), hover, or infiltrate.

indoors and in caves, I'm using Slot 0.

In large open area missions, I'm switching between the two. And it basically comes down to using the long distance move power to get to the target area and then the short distance travel power to move up to outside of the range where an enemy group would react.  

When I'm fighting, unless I'm flying around with a ranged character, I'm going to have my travel powers turned off. 

Combat Jumping goes into my tray of toggle powers. If I have that, it's always on. It helps with traveling, but I'm always going to want it on for the defense (I don't apply the same to hover. Most of my character fight while they are standing on the ground.)

• Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Haha OK....yep a duh moment.... the prestige movements cost so much endurance that I don't like using them....BUT I leave them on during a fight. Ok, that makes more sense. I like Infiltration because we can lower the endurance cost to a point where it's not a factor, but I don't want Stealth on every hero.

Would you leave Combat Jump on all the time?

Also, if you enhance Swift (I beleive it's called) does that affect all movement speeds?

Edited by WuTang

54 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Are you talking about big open area missions or indoor/cave missions?

I always have a long distance power in slot 9 and a short distance travel power in slot 0 in the active tray.

So ...

Slot 9 - Rocket Board/Magic Carpet/Void Skiff, Day Job Flight Pack from the Shadow Shard, Mystic Flight, Flight, Super Jump, Speed of Sound, Super Speed, or Teleport.

Slot 0 - Ninja/beast/athletic, transform (panther or coyote), hover, or infiltrate.

indoors and in caves, I'm using Slot 0.

In large open area missions, I'm switching between the two. And it basically comes down to using the long distance move power to get to the target area and then the short distance travel power to move up to outside of the range where an enemy group would react.  

When I'm fighting, unless I'm flying around with a ranged character, I'm going to have my travel powers turned off. 

Combat Jumping goes into my tray of toggle powers. If I have that, it's always on. It helps with traveling, but I'm always going to want it on for the defense (I don't apply the same to hover. Most of my character fight while they are standing on the ground.)

Really any situation.... I like the feeling of the prestige and inflitration movements, it's very superhero-like, sprint feels slow, but then I don't have a hero fully built out either, so maybe with all those speed buffs it'd be different. 

I did notice that there were a bunch of prestige movements with different effects that can be enhanced but I've not used any of them. Are they just a flashier sprint?

But as you said juat turn the movement off during fights eliminates the problem...just gotta remember to do that.

1 hour ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Super Speed, even for non-speed runs.  After using Super Speed for years in missions, everything else is just too slow.

Do you toggle it off during fights?

A run IO in Swift and an endurance discount IO in Sprint is all you need, in my opinion. Before taking a travel power, Athletic run gets me where I need to go, but it gets turned off before entering a mission door.

By endgame, I have extra movement speed bonuses from sets and can turn Sprint off and still be zippy. I'll keep Sprint on if teaming because too may people aren't happy unless they're breaking the sound barrier in an office building, but solo I just get along fine as is unless it's a big open map. Then, I'm flying to objectives so it becomes a moot point.

• Thanks 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I just leave Combat Jump running.  Plenty fast with an IO in swift, I get any stealth I might need from a Celerity:Stealth in Sprint, and if I have to seriously backtrack then I just toggle Super Jump on and bunny hop my way across the map (just tapping jump gets you a surprising amount of distance with very little vertical)

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Akisan said:

I just leave Combat Jump running.  Plenty fast with an IO in swift, I get any stealth I might need from a Celerity:Stealth in Sprint, and if I have to seriously backtrack then I just toggle Super Jump on and bunny hop my way across the map (just tapping jump gets you a surprising amount of distance with very little vertical)

Is the Celerity:Stealth 100% stealth all the time? Or does it toggle with Sprint?

My "grounded" characters usually keep their travel power, athletic sprint, and sprint toggled on inside missions. If I think I am burning Endurance I will detoggle.

I like to keep the travel powers toggled on for the secondary effects like teleportation (targeting a mobile or a location) or PBAoE knockdown.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WuTang said:

Do you toggle it off during fights?

No, other than (as noted) to eliminate the stealth.

But I have travel powers bound to mouse buttons so I can adjust them at will from Fly/SJ to Athletic Run to Sprint/nothing.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Usually just Sprint given how a lot of maps are too cramped for anything more.  If my character flies i'll probably have Hover up instead.  Combat Jumping is usually on too considering how much extra mobility and flight control it provides (it gets rid of the momentum drift for more precise flying).

• Thanks 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Combat Jumping and Sprint are always on.  I have another keybind to toggle Athletic/Ninja Run if I want and a click bind for Teleport for when I need to get through a jammed doorway or unstuck from webbing magnetizing me to the floor.  And of course another keybind for Jetpack because sometimes you need to NOT be a strictly grounded hero (or villain!).

Edited by ZemX
Spring? Sprint? Whatevs!
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

i use fly or mystic flight, and i have it on 90% time.  in combat, missions, wherever.

Even indoors? 

I have a couple with flight but find it a tad difficult indoors. 

4 hours ago, WuTang said:

Haha OK....yep a duh moment.... the prestige movements cost so much endurance that I don't like using them....BUT I leave them on during a fight. Ok, that makes more sense. I like Infiltration because we can lower the endurance cost to a point where it's not a factor, but I don't want Stealth on every hero.

Would you leave Combat Jump on all the time?

Also, if you enhance Swift (I beleive it's called) does that affect all movement speeds?

Personally I use Hover + Evasive Maneuvers on ALL of my characters. It's great, but it might not be for everyone.

For grounded I say Combat Jumping as it is basically free (0.06) and all you do is bunny hop by tapping space bar. Otherwise just Sprint is enough IMO but it's yet another toggle draining endurance.

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

i use fly or mystic flight, and i have it on 90% time.  in combat, missions, wherever.

Flight plus TP, what's not to love... other than the Dr. Strange fx that don't really go with every build.

You've seen this, right?

Y "+$$powexec_location up:max Translocation$$powexectoggleon Mystic Flight"

Works best with a slightly deliberate press of the key (longer than a tap).

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Athletic run+sprint. Sometimes one or the other, depending. I tend to like IO sets that grant +Movement, simply because being slightly faster feels so semi-boss:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

7 hours ago, WuTang said:

For grounded heroes what do y'all use to move around in missions? Infiltration is cool but I don't always want the stealth, and the prestige stuff is not enhanceable, but works, just they also cost more end/sec. Do y'all just take Combat Jump and enhance sprint?

CJ with the inherent swift & hurdle is actually good for a large majority of content.  You could log off in the Shadow Shard if you want to keep a jetpack on hand for backup, but the prestige jump pack can get you quite far as well.  I mean, given the level of tech and such in Paragon City, you could easily handwave having tapped into the mediport system to allow you to teleport/combat teleport or maybe even speed of sound w/ jaunt.

I usually find that Sprint + Athletic Run (or, if you're into weird running stances, Beast Run or Ninja Run) is more more than adequate for moving around missions.  Combat Jumping adds a nice bit of vertical movement, and it also gives some defense and is a LoTG mule, so most of my characters have that as well.  A jetpack gets me any flying I need.