Angels & Demons

What's up with the large amount of characters based on angels/seraphim/fallen angels that I see? I don't remember there being such a significant presence when the game was live, but every third or fourth character I inspect seems to be some kind of angel character - fallen or otherwise.

Is there a Biblical RP community Im unaware of?

I am genuinely curious; it's not my intention to stoke a theological debate.

I play exclusively on Everlasting, which is the primary hub/haven for RP, so my experience my be skewed.

Still, I see more theological characters than classic comic book references. What is up with that?

20 minutes ago, Steyrharquebus said:

More likely it's an easy origin to go with, and the costume creator has many options for shiny armor or horns & spikey bits.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steyrharquebus said:

Still, I see more theological characters than classic comic book references. What is up with that?

There's a fair amount of overlap. It's more common in the DC universe. At least one Supergirl was an angel, Raven is kind of a demon. With the time period this game launched in, a fair amount of comic book fans would have been Spawn readers. There are whole comic book series where the "heroes" are all either demons or angels.

• Like 1

Ugh I feel attacked lol. Just kidding I'm a combat vet so my skin is so thick it wears down sand paper.

I personally play on Everlasting myself, not an rper, but I haven't been seeing every few characters being angels fallen or otherwise.

That said cool beans if they are. I mean I have a few winged characters including from up on high and from down below.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steyrharquebus said:

What's up with the large amount of characters based on angels/seraphim/fallen angels that I see? I don't remember there being such a significant presence when the game was live, but every third or fourth character I inspect seems to be some kind of angel character - fallen or otherwise.

I play exclusively on Everlasting, which is the primary hub/haven for RP, so my experience my be skewed.

I could certainly be wrong, but just based on the characters I see, it's on account of the fairly successful show called "Lucifer". I've seen at least 1/2 dozen references to some variation of Morningstar. 

2 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I could certainly be wrong, but just based on the characters I see, it's on account of the fairly successful show called "Lucifer". I've seen at least 1/2 dozen references to some variation of Morningstar. 

The show Lucifer is very very loosely based on... I want to say a Neil Gaiman comic for DC.

• Like 2

I'm sure it has nothing to do with that guy who runs around roleplaying as a vampire and telling other players, "I VANT TO THUCK YOUR BLOOD!".

Also, my next 50 characters will all be cloves of garlic.  With wooden stakes.  Uncoincidentally.

• Haha 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I tend to be fascinated by the undead. which are in the same city as demons but not the same neighborhood.  I run a lot of vampires, liches, zombie derivatives etc.  

My current project is a Fire Fire Blaster and I started the look out as a possessed set of armor and ended with a demon in armor.  It just fits. The only other concept I have for this is a pathological Longbow type operative going vigilante on everyone.  burn the crime out of the city!  

20 hours ago, Steyrharquebus said:

Nah, I think people just like angel wings and bat wings.  I suppose you could make a toon with angel wings and call him "fluttering Joe"  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Steyrharquebus said:

Oh, well it could also be "archangel blah blah" or "demon lord blah blah" do not create copyright issues like say.........Wolverinne, oro manoro. or some kind of variation ( I misspelled them on purpose)

I've kinda been outta mmo's for a while, but I know there at least was a big "Christian gamer community" like 5 years ago.  Remember however, that Angels and Demons are not exclusively a Christian or even an Abrahamic concept.  They pre-date Judaism and are pretty much in religions in all parts of the world (not that all religions include them, but all parts of the world seem to have a religion that includes them.)  I could argue that the way Angels and Demons are usually represented here is actually not Abrahamic at all.

I suspect some of this abundance of angels comes from another "problem" though.  If all character Origins grant access to the same powers, why would anyone study magic instead of just picking up an assault rife?  Like.. even you personally.. if magic existed in the real world, would you really spend years learning magic to chill and heat your food, or would you just buy a fridge and a microwave?  For most people, magic lacks convenience.  Hence, subconsciously, magic origins probably get kinda skewed towards characters for whom magic would come naturally.. angels, demons, dragons, elves, whatever.  There really aren't a lot of good costume options for characters to actually look draconic though.. and elves are just over-done in all worlds.  Like I said, I'm just guessing it has something to do with that.

By the way, do you think it would change things if more people called their angels and demons by names that are used in other parts of the world?  Oni, Loa, Daeva, Djinn..  I mean.. at the end of the day, "angel" and "demon" are just the most recognizable words for a concept that is everywhere and eternal.  Should people use less recognizable words?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2024 at 1:22 AM, Major_Decoy said:

There's a fair amount of overlap. It's more common in the DC universe. At least one Supergirl was an angel, Raven is kind of a demon. With the time period this game launched in, a fair amount of comic book fans would have been Spawn readers. There are whole comic book series where the "heroes" are all either demons or angels.

I definitely see a lot of overtly Christian angel characters hovering around Atlas Park; with names and/or backstories that are draw heavily from theological sources, rather than angelic/demonic superheroes. I've no issue with it, but I do find their abundance a little surprising - I didn't expect it to be sch a popular type of character to want to play as, especially within the CoX setting.

Sidenote: the Supergirl you're referring to went on to have a 20 issue DC Comis series called Fallen Angel which I loved back in the day. The character then moved to IDW and had a second, longer series, but I did not like that at all.

I think I have one angel character (a demon/thermal MM), because I liked the idea of this constantly-frustrated angel shepherding a bunch of unruly demons.

I have one demon character (who's also a demon mastermind) who gets into arguments with her minions about who's the most powerful.

And among my D&D adventurers, I have a tiefling and an aasimar, though I don't know if they really qualify, since they're based on D&D demons/angels rather than Christian ones.

• Like 1

I have two immortals, one dark elf, and one vengeful spirit but no angels or demons.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

With a demon summoning powerset it seemed natural to make a demon character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

41 minutes ago, sbloyd said:

With a demon summoning powerset it seemed natural to make a demon character.

Interesting thing is that I have seen Demon themed Thugs/ and Beasts/ MMs. 

Just be glad there is no Clowns/ set.

16 hours ago, Supertanker said:

I remember when they first added wings there were so many "Angle" characters.

Yeah, but they were soooo acute, weren't they?

• Haha 1
  • Microphone 1