There needs to be a leaver penalty

4 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Track exit from mission/TF/SF through loss of connection.

Hotkey a firewall rule to disconnect the game, cycle power on the hotspot/router (or pull the Cat5, if you're using a cable), Alt-Tab out of the game to shut off networking...

Anything that easily worked around shouldn't even be implemented.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

Anything that easily worked around shouldn't even be implemented.

So a TL sees that Ima Butthole has "crashed out" 25 times in two weeks. Probably a player to avoid in any case, even if they're just running a crappy connection. I just suggest it's a different category from directly quitting.

/nohorseinthisrace

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

7 minutes ago, Krimson said:

If you're poor and can't afford a nice router, no Soup for you! 

Yep

Though a nice router has never been a requirement. I don't have super computer, super internet OR a super router. I have few problems with the game, but if I did then it's my responsibility.

I don't want to punish folks, but folks should take responsibility for their own actions.

It's supposed to be fun. If we have 20 minutes we maybe shouldn't sign up for a DR Q pug.

Part of it is on the team. being clear about type of mission, difficulty and potential time commit also helps.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Isn't this what the "Add Notes" command is for? Just 1-star people that you don't want to team with. Then, when you PUG it up, just check everyone that you invite for the ratings you have given them.

• Like 3
  • Microphone 1

30 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

So a TL sees that Ima Butthole has "crashed out" 25 times in two weeks. Probably a player to avoid in any case, even if they're just running a crappy connection. I just suggest it's a different category from directly quitting.

/nohorseinthisrace

I see roleplayers who are just standing in Everlasting, chatting, get DCed because of connection issues. I suppose we could blame them for having the audacity to try and play the game with a bad connection. Heck, we have players who are trying to connect using Starlink.

However, this is all on whoever forms the TF. If they're not properly vetting the players beforehand, then any problems are on them.

• Microphone 1

26 minutes ago, BZRKR said:

Isn't this what the "Add Notes" command is for? Just 1-star people that you don't want to team with. Then, when you PUG it up, just check everyone that you invite for the ratings you have given them.

So there's one TL who will never opt in losers again. Too bad every single one has to learn the lesson independently.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

8 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I see roleplayers who are just standing in Everlasting, chatting, get DCed because of connection issues. I suppose we could blame them for having the audacity to try and play the game with a bad connection. Heck, we have players who are trying to connect using Starlink.

I'm not sure what your argument is, here. Most players know if they have a crappy connection, for whatever reason. Is it some kind of ADA or charity or kindergarten rules that they be allowed to join long-term groups they know they are unlikely to be able to finish, without at least a warning flag for TLs?

Okay. "Fair" enough.

5 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

I'm not sure what your argument is, here. Most players know if they have a crappy connection, for whatever reason. Is it some kind of ADA or charity or kindergarten rules that they be allowed to join long-term groups they know they are unlikely to be able to finish, without at least a warning flag for TLs?

Okay. "Fair" enough.

I will maintain this is ALL ON the Task Force leader. If they don't properly vet beforehand, blame them. Or... Play with people you know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krimson said:

I will maintain this is ALL ON the Task Force leader. If they don't properly vet beforehand, blame them. Or... Play with people you know.

How do you vet someone you don't know and for whom there's no shared record or rating?

Never mind. I don't team. Don't really care. Have no further arguments against the idea that crappy players have just as many rights etc.

• Thumbs Down 2

30 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

How do you vet someone you don't know and for whom there's no shared record or rating?

Never mind. I don't team. Don't really care. Have no further arguments against the idea that crappy players have just as many rights etc.

No worries. Nothing is going to come of this. Why would devs waste their time coding something like this when they could use their time on something useful?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If someone's chronic about it, then block them if you really don't want to deal with it. Just realize that there are days where either server / local/ or in-between can be having issues (downdetector.com if you're Really itching) at the 'wrong time' and you just can't avoid it. Beyond that, there's no real reason to Add some sort of monitoring thing or even add to the dev's Mod queue over something that already has a built-in penalty (not getting the rewards).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

16 hours ago, lemming said:

So, how do you scan for people who have a crash?  Penalize them then and there, wait until after whatever league/team function is complete?

STO does this, and it sucks. Back when we were in a mountainous, rural area of Aus, forced to use a wifi hotspot as our only means to connect to the net, and games like this; loss of signal/crashes were a given. To have spent a big chunk of time on a lengthier team endeavor, only to be booted from the game near the end because of a DC, or even a DC near the beginning, and then getting a 1-hour leaver's penalty when it wasn't your fault could easily ruin an entire play session. Not everyone can afford to sit and idly do something else until the penalty is lifted. Some people might only have those thirty minutes, or that 1 hour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I'm not sure what your argument is, here.

Shit happens, don't punish the people it happens to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Shit happens, don't punish the people it happens to.

I'm way out of forks on this debate — it was just a suggestion, no serious thought — but is this what you think when you get behind someone whose sh*tbox can't get above 50 on the highway? Or, amid zen-like calm, is it more "Gee, this fine ciitzen should stay on the surface streets"? 😄

5 minutes ago, Krimson said:

How the hell are we supposed to gatekeep that way?

The same way we do now.  Gratuitous nudity and violence.

• Haha 1
  • Microphone 1

2 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

I'm way out of forks on this debate — it was just a suggestion, no serious thought — but is this what you think when you get behind someone whose sh*tbox can't get above 50 on the highway? Or, amid zen-like calm, is it more "Gee, this fine ciitzen should stay on the surface streets"? 😄

I had to bury eight kittens this month, none of them with their eyes open yet, and a mama cat, Macy, who left behind five kittens.  Petty shit isn't even a blip on my radar.

• Sad 5
  • Staff of Aesculapius 2

5 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

You should play on Indomitable. You know everyone there by name and can count everyone on the same hand.

1a8f7aad-0207-4645-bb80-cb4fff43e5d9_tex

Terrible to say, but I cannot wait to see your posts complaining about “all the excelsior players who have come over and ruined indomitable”

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Terrible to say, but I cannot wait to see your posts complaining about “all the excelsior players who have come over and ruined indomitable”

Hasn't happened in five years, even with double xp, so don't hold your breath 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

11 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Hasn't happened in five years, even with double xp, so don't hold your breath 😆 

There are Excelsior players on Indomitable, but they stick to AE farming.  Seriously, about a quarter to a third of Indomitable's population at any time are Excelsior players AFK AE farming while they actually play on Excelsior.

I wish I was joking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lunar Ronin said:

There are Excelsior players on Indomitable, but they stick to AE farming.  Seriously, about a quarter to a third of Indomitable's population at any time are Excelsior players AFK AE farming while they actually play on Excelsior.

I wish I was joking.

I'm just glad the Auction House is cross server 🙂

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Hey, I read you. I used to play with someone who was like that. They would DC without warning and then show up again either in a few hours or the next day, no excuse, no mention about what happened. After the.. fifth or sixth time when they mentioned about playing together I said no, I mentioned their DCs, they said they were in the military with a bad wifi, and I said sure, so it's not malicious, but you still DC each time we play so in the end I still don't want to play with you, sorry, best wishes, etc.

This with Mythic keys in WoW means if one player DCs the key is bricked and the run is void and since the reward is gated by finishing the dungeon then there is no reward for having stuck to it.

But this isn't the case in CoH. If need be a single reasonably IO-ed character can solo the rest and if there another six lending support or just helping to kill then a missing team mate has absolutely zero consequences. I've lost count of TFs I've ran that started with 8 people and finished with 5 or less and nothing happened, the difficulty wasn't even lowered, we just continued playing and finished it.

That's why I don't grok this thread. Unless the team was full SO geared squishies and the person who disappeared was the Tanker what difference does it make if someone DCs or maliciously decides to leave?

• Like 1