Friendly fire

0th Power

Not so much a suggestion, but a thought...

Would it be possible to have a, to borrow from call of duty, a “hardcore” option?  Teams would have to be much more careful of aoes and could lead to a bit more strategy than what we have now.  I (think that I) would enjoy this more. I can see the problems of grieving, so there would have to be a solution for that.  Like it, hate it, meh?

/b LF7M for hardcore mission team, scrappers/brutes only, don't come if you can't handle a group on your own

As in, I'm thinking people would split up rather than strategize. Path of least resistance and all that.

Edited by nihilii
  • Thanks 1

It's an interesting idea and kinda fun to think about but I don't think it would port very well to CoH. There are buffs, debuffs, control, etc and unless you're completely rewriting the way powers work, a lot of them just aren't a good idea if we're no longer differentiating friend from foe.

For example: This really breaks down when you start looking at debuff toggles and melee. Under this system, the only way I can affect an enemy with my Rad or Dark debuffs is to also wreck any melee getting close enough to fight it. I'm doing as much harm as good and there's no real strategy to fix that short of just not using my key powers whenever one of several ATs joins the team.

It logically makes sense that standing next to someone triggering a nuke should hurt, but I don't see how you could get there without creating an environment that makes anyone who heavily relies on any sort of AoE feel unwelcome.

• Thanks 1

Not something that can be done, without completely wrecking many powersets - and at least one archetype: Mastermind.

Yes, my MM can focus all his pets on a single target.  But, he cannot tell them not to use their AoEs if a Team-mate gets close to them.

Also, when someone is in melee range of the enemy when my Force Bubbles wear off ... they're not getting rebubbled, because then the ENEMY would get bubbled too.

And what about toggles?  Would my Leadership toggle benefit the other guys, too?  How about Repulsion Field, am I going to shove the rest of the team off a cliff if I turn it on?  Can the Empath use their PBAoE heal to keep the Brute and the Scrapper on their feet, mid-battle, or will he be healing the enemy at the same time?

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

7 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Would it be possible to have a, to borrow from call of duty, a “hardcore” option?  Teams would have to be much more careful of aoes and could lead to a bit more strategy than what we have now.  I (think that I) would enjoy this more. I can see the problems of grieving, so there would have to be a solution for that.  Like it, hate it, meh?

its called being confused, we have it already.

If it's an opt-in option on a team, that everyone gets a chance to agree to when they join the team, I could see it being fun on occasion.

Over all, I don't think it would have enough of a positive benefit to warrant the effort though.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

10 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

So a Dark/Dark Troller and an a Kin/Rad Defender get together in a bar...
Troller: What to go wreck a team?

Fender:

9w4ZNR9.gif

Rad/Rad fender would be even worse.

"Gather for AM" while standing over teammate's corpse "Rez on cooldown." *casts FALLOUT instead, teamwipes*

On 8/14/2019 at 11:45 AM, Tony Amore said:

Although I guess it would be funny the first time I use my Empathy Defender and get yelled at by my teammates for healing the enemies.

I got yelled at during a MSR on the test server when IOs were being tested; I had a Katana/Regen Scrapper (before the Regen rework making it click), and I got a Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Energy Damage recipe that I crafted and slotted. It showed up on mouse over as 'Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative... and was bugged to have the abbreviated description be more accurate -- when the proc went off, it did a negative amount of damage to the target, healing it. Not being really concerned about a minor reduction in damage during the beta test, I left it in, and it proc'ed against a tower during the raid.

The devs fixed that bug, but slapped in another, making it Touch of Lady Grey: Chance to One-Shot -- when it went off, it would do an outrageous amount of damage. So I went hunting, and found Jurassik. On my first attack, it proc'ed, and I did "6.043E+13" points of damage, dropping him in one hit. As it turned out, I didn't even have the best one-shot damage with it; other players had done much better.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, 0th Power said:

Nice to see new players and new ideas.

In my personal opinion the suggestion quoted is not a good fit for this game.

12 hours ago, srmalloy said:

So I went hunting, and found Jurassik. On my first attack, it proc'ed, and I did "6.043E+13" points of damage, dropping him in one hit. As it turned out, I didn't even have the best one-shot damage with it; other players had done much better.

*grumble*grumble* it's always Scrappers that get enough damage enough to require scientific notation... *grumble*grumble* 😉

I wanted to take some time to respond to the feedback.  Here are my thoughts on yall's thoughts.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:08 AM, PaxArcana said:

Not something that can be done, without completely wrecking many powersets - and at least one archetype: Mastermind.

Yes, my MM can focus all his pets on a single target.  But, he cannot tell them not to use their AoEs if a Team-mate gets close to them.

Also, when someone is in melee range of the enemy when my Force Bubbles wear off ... they're not getting rebubbled, because then the ENEMY would get bubbled too.

And what about toggles?  Would my Leadership toggle benefit the other guys, too?  How about Repulsion Field, am I going to shove the rest of the team off a cliff if I turn it on?  Can the Empath use their PBAoE heal to keep the Brute and the Scrapper on their feet, mid-battle, or will he be healing the enemy at the same time?

I don't play masterminds, so that thought didn't even enter my head.  Definitely something that would be a problem

As for the buffs that are now AoE, When I left the game  (back in i13ish...) those buffs were single target and I don't play support types a lot either.  When it comes to what buff powers would affect enemies and debuff/attacks that would affect team, I think it would be done on a case by case basis.  Example - Fireball or the empathy pbaoe heal would hit everyone, but leadership would be team only.  

On 8/14/2019 at 2:15 PM, Black Zot said:

/JRanger.

I've seen too many games ruined by friendly fire to give that so-called feature any more chances.

I meant this suggestion as an option.  Probably the best place it would be the restrictions options screen before a TF/SF/Ouro arc.  I would not suggest making this mandatory (with maybe an exception for a badge or two).

On 8/15/2019 at 10:26 AM, Zolgar said:

If it's an opt-in option on a team, that everyone gets a chance to agree to when they join the team, I could see it being fun on occasion.

Over all, I don't think it would have enough of a positive benefit to warrant the effort though.

Initially thinking of this i thought of it as a TF/SF/Ouro arc option.  I do not think it would be a good idea to change the whole game.  Also, I know time and resources are limited.  If this would take away from new zones, power sets, or other "more better" things, I would oppose my own idea.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:34 PM, ZeeHero said:

its called being confused, we have it already.

15 hours ago, ed_anger said:

You can pretend friendly fire is in the game, but that your character is just not that stupid to aim at his/her friends. 

I was really thinking about AoEs hitting teammates adjacent to targets rather than "oops wrong guy."  I do think the confused mez is underutilized in the game.

11 hours ago, Some Random User said:

Nice to see new players and new ideas.

In my personal opinion the suggestion quoted is not a good fit for this game.

Not new, I was around from beta to i13ish.  I just don't post a whole lot 😊

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback.

That's why they introduced PvP TBH. Give you a place where you can pop in/out of so-called FF. I think we have an arena type thing too right? It's been ages since I've messed with the non-PvE content.

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I understand why this will never happen, but I f***ing LOVE this idea! Start a farm with 8 Elec/SD characters and it'll be a contest to see who lives the longest. Or maybe make it a special challenge mission or TF! Survival mode to see how long a team can last like this only using AoE attacks and limit the amount of rez. For general gameplay, probably not. But special modes/events this could be a ton of fun.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:37 AM, Yoru-hime said:

*grumble*grumble* it's always Scrappers that get enough damage enough to require scientific notation... *grumble*grumble* 😉

I was entertained to see that the game rolled over smoothly into scientific notation when it exceeded the integer limit.