Focused Feedback: Tank Updates for October 1st, 2019

1 hour ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

OK I hope this calms down the last few days of discussions: brutes wont be nerfed any further. In fact, the next patch has a buff to brute fury generation on teams.

And just thong in cheek: the only way brute resist cap would go down to 85% is if tanker resist cap also goes down to 85%. But there is no plan to do that at this time (or ever, ever ever.)

Rather than a buff to fury generation, how about a look at fury degradation? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nihilii said:

Am I the only one who finds it funny "you shouldn't balance around IOs" but "lowering brute resistance to 85% would wreck the AT"? Very few brutes reach 90% resistance to anything without IOs or outside buffs, and for those that do, it's mostly against one damage type.

- /stone against S/L

- /fire against fire

- /elec against elec

- /invul, /elec and /rad using their T9s

So, either /bio, /dark, /SR, /shield, /ice, /regen, /wp and /ea are all broken, or something doesn't add up here... 😉

It's eyeboggling when someone argues that the game is not balanced around IOs, but in the same thread, asserts that Brutes and Tankers have the same survivability...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:05 PM, Vanden said:

I was really looking forward to the T1/T2 swap expressly because of Jab. I hate the animation (both of them), I wanted to be rid of it. Just buffing it wouldn't have made me happy...

Respectfully. If you hate the Jab animation, change it to the punch/alternate (I do). I'm GLAD they aren't swapping them, since being forced into punch would've sucked for my chain as punch is noticeably SLOWER than Jab (and Jab stuns and is part of my soft crowd control). I use AS in place of punch (it's flat better with a guaranteed knockdown/flipup). And I wouldn't have liked being "forced" into punch when my build has been Jab--AS--Haymaker for about 9 years now, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say thanks for not swapping that, CPH. 

6 minutes ago, Peerless Girl said:

Respectfully. If you hate the Jab animation, change it to the punch/alternate (I do). I'm GLAD they aren't swapping them, since being forced into punch would've sucked for my chain as punch is noticeably SLOWER than Jab (and Jab stuns and is part of my soft crowd control). I use AS in place of punch (it's flat better with a guaranteed knockdown/flipup). And I wouldn't have liked being "forced" into punch when my build has been Jab--AS--Haymaker for about 9 years now, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say thanks for not swapping that, CPH. 

I did change it, and I hate both animations. Punch's cast time is all of .13s longer than Jab, and for that you get 50% more damage. Jab has a 10% chance to stun minions. Punch has a 30% chance of knockdown, which affects all ranks of enemies. There's no contest, Punch is a much better attack than Jab.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peerless Girl said:

I disagree with you, and damage is nice, but not a tank's primary purpose. Jab also works great for stun sets, thankfully CPH has decided not to mess too much with what works. Heh.

It is their secondary purpose though. 😎

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peerless Girl said:

I disagree with you, and damage is nice, but not a tank's primary purpose. Jab also works great for stun sets, thankfully CPH has decided not to mess too much with what works. Heh.

The only thing that is changing in Super Strength at the moment is Rage.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

7 hours ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

It's probably also best to balance the tank AT to get a baseline feel before balancing the individual sets.

Agreed.

It probably is a good idea to worry about the sizable majority of sets that follow the standard progression with standard Build Up mechanics, instead of focusing so much on Rage and the quirkiness of SS.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 5:54 PM, Captain Powerhouse said:

Tanker Updates [Experimental Changes]

• Tanker Damage cap lowered to 5.0
  • Brute Damage cap lowered to 7.0
  • The Tanker Max End has been removed.
  • Lowered Tanker's -Res and +Buff Damage modifiers.
  • Fixed a bug introduced last patch where Melt Armor for Tankers and Brutes was doing more -res than intended.
  • Fixed a bug introduced in a previous patch where Kinetic Attack had the T1 and T2 inverted, something that generated invalid characters.

I personally think brutes should have all of their base damage reduced by 20% as well. Let's face it, they need nerfs to be brought back down to earth a bit.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, eldriyth said:

I personally think brutes should have all of their base damage reduced by 20% as well. Let's face it, they need nerfs to be brought back down to earth a bit.

*rolls eyes*

You dont get the concept of buffing the tank - increasing the aoe and nerfing the brute damage cap basically putting tanks and brutes in line pretty well do you?

what exactly do you want them to be balanced around now? petless masterminds?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, eldriyth said:

You do realize that Brutes already have the third lowest base damage out of all the archetypes, right? Defenders are the only class with an attack set that has a lower scalar, and the only AT lower than Defenders is Controllers... Which still have some options for doing crazy damage and farming like a boss, Fire/Kin being the one everyone knows and loves.

Even if you were to actually drop even more nerfs on Brutes, the way you want to go about it is kinda tilting at windmills.

Honestly, the size of the base damage difference between Tankers and Brutes is now large enough that in party play I can legitimately see Tankers being prioritized over brutes when building a team. Tankers have always been a bedrock choice due to Gauntlet just being so damn good at its job, but now they can do respectable damage too? I really do think the "design space" between Tankers and Brutes has widened considerably now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eldriyth said:

With that line of thinking then scrappers need brought down as well.

Edited by ryuplaneswalker

While everyone is still ranting and raving about the wildly unpopular nerf to brutes, I'd like to just bring this back to the original point of the thread and say that...

On 10/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, Captain Powerhouse said:

Tanker Updates [Experimental Changes]

• The Tanker Max End has been removed.

This is actually the most disappointing change in this patch to me.

The maximum endurance increase not only was one of the most thematic changes I could imagine for tanks, but it opened up new high energy build possibilities that really only would have been comfortable on tanks.

I kinda wanted to try a DA/TW Tanker, because the idea of a massive intimidating reaper dude covered in shadows and a suit of armor seemed like a lot of fun... But man that endurance is going to be terrible. Oh well, the changes should make something like Ice/Spines fun, even if it's not as cool a concept.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XaoGarrent said:

While everyone is still ranting and raving about the wildly unpopular nerf to brutes, I'd like to just bring this back to the original point of the thread and say that...

This is actually the most disappointing change in this patch to me.

The maximum endurance increase not only was one of the most thematic changes I could imagine for tanks, but it opened up new high energy build possibilities that really only would have been comfortable on tanks.

I kinda wanted to try a DA/TW Tanker, because the idea of a massive intimidating reaper dude covered in shadows and a suit of armor seemed like a lot of fun... But man that endurance is going to be terrible. Oh well, the changes should make something like Ice/Spines fun, even if it's not as cool a concept.

Set bonuses.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Set bonuses.

Energy Mastery, incarnates, enhancing for end red, hoarding blue skittles...

Endurance management is part of the game for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit