What do *you* do with alternate costumes?

Wild Claw

Usually I have their standard costume, civvies, an armoured option and one without froof (cape, aura etc) to turn down annoyance on team or tight maps.

One toon is a novice martial artist so she starts with basic leotard and moves up as you would with the 'belt' system to fancier and more intricate costumes.

JaqMacPratt, my homage toon, has a MacGyver outfit (working on a second one), a Legend outfit and three from Stagate SG1, the greens, the blues and a general uniform.  She will also get civvies in the form of board shorts/short khakis and a Hawaiian shirt if I can figure that out in the character creator.  

Whatever strikes me as good for the character.  I'm also tending towards collecting a lot of my disparate costume ideas onto single character, because I find this cuts down on my altoholism, ha ha. 

For instance, my Widow (already a costume "special case" in that the first slot is always the Arachnos uniform, and none of the other ones can be, at all) has his Widow outfit in the first slot, then the second has a casual look with a white duster jacket.  But I didn't like that, so I made his third a sort of dark-elfy-looking "magical creature/spirit" or something.  Then his fourth slot I made into his Halloween costume for the season, based on, I kid you not, "Tony The Tiger as a vampire" (which is on the front of special Frosted Flakes with spoooooky marshmallows available right now - seriously, google it!), complete with a tiger head.  I have zero idea what his next costume will be, maybe a dim shadow hidden inside a thunderhead aura? 

I also have a character that is literally a different person across every costume slot she has (altho currently I'm currently only happy with 2.5 of them).  And then I have one guy loosely based on the old Everready battery logo of a leaping black and white cat; his second and only other costume slot is him in a tuxedo because black and white cats so patterned can also be referred to as "tuxedo cats".

Literally, I have no pattern that I follow.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

It depends, all my toons have a vanguard costume when doing mish for vanguard or when in rwz. Most have a swimsuit because we have a sweet sweet swimming pool in the base. Most of the slots are filled with their "early" career to their current costumes.

The rest it depends on their backstories, since each have a unique background.  Like being part of hero corps or former knife of artemis or being a cook etc

On my main, Ironblade, he had a medieval outfit, a 'tights' outfit, street clothes, formal attire and an SG uniform.

I had one character that 'hulked out', changing from a petite librarian to a 7 foot sabertooth catgirl.

My time traveler had 10 outfits from various historical eras.  Pretty sure he was my only character to use more than 5 slots.

Most of the others only had 1-3 outfits.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Back in the early issues before free costume tokens were rewarded so freely, before costume changes were free below level 10, and when the Crey Industries website was a fairly big thing, if I wanted some screenshots of my character in civilian cloths for the Crey site I'd just create an alt that looked like my main and make a plain clothes version of them. I miss that Crey site, I had a lot of fun making up stuff to post on there.

#1 Hero (or Villain) main costume

#2 Vigilante (or Rogue) costume

#3 Villain (or Hero) costume

#4 Rogue (or Vigilante) costume

#5 Homage costume for the Golden Age character that in some way inspired the character

#6 Homage costume for the Silver Age character that in some way inspired the character

#7 Low effects costume

#8 Civilian costume

The vigilante & villain costumes tend to use darker colors or effects for the powers.  The low effects costume is for MSRs or events where frame rate is low.  The civilian costume is based on the profession of the character's secret ID.

For my main Mister Mass, the Villain costume is that of his Praetorian equivalent, Master Mass, including the requisite evil goatee.  The Golden Age costume is Hourman, as I feel Bernard Baily's design is woefully underrated & it inspired Mass's main costume.  The Silver Age costume is Hawk, as the original Champions p&p version of Mass was part of a duo of argumentative teen sibling heroes inspired by Hawk & Dove, with Mass as the brash, in your face, confrontational brother.

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Coming to this game as more of a comic book fan than a gamer, I tend to try very hard to create costumes that conform to the aesthetics of each "age", i.e. a golden age costume, a silver age costume, and a modern costume. Then I have my alter ego costumes for each. On a few characters, I have a villain costume for switching sides and very rarely an alternate look or two.

My only 50, a night widow, has 10 costumes but really only cycles between the main widow suit and the carnie homage (I mean really, those carnies are soooo easily stabbed and slaughtered I felt bad and figured they needed a proper role model other than Vanessa DeVore (OH! I forgot I left that one at the dry cleaners to get a stain out of...)), but I know I made Praetorian Resistance and Loyalist themed ones when I ran through flashback missions there. Haven't done anything with Halloween stuff. Got some based on toons I made the fist time around. Did make a bikini one for lounging in the SG base's hot tub.

Depends on the alt, most have a casual and formal outfit, sometimes more than one. My main however has basically 8 suits of clothes and three completely different costumes. Most of the others are similar, but there are a pair of outliers, one who does not have true costumes but clothes, including a pair of alternate timeline clothes, and another who has aura and color swaps, in addition to a completely different clockwork exoskeleton. Sometimes I even make variants of the same basic costumes, for instance I have a witch with one costume like the basic witch costume and two more elaborations of it.

21 hours ago, madpoet67 said:

Coming to this game as more of a comic book fan than a gamer, I tend to try very hard to create costumes that conform to the aesthetics of each "age", i.e. a golden age costume, a silver age costume, and a modern costume. Then I have my alter ego costumes for each. On a few characters, I have a villain costume for switching sides and very rarely an alternate look or two.

this is what i do, glad i'm not the only one. though i tend to skip golden age, do a silver, bronze, 90s "extreme", and a 00s armored/spandex look. and if i think of an origin appropriate one, like magical gear for a magic origin, i'll do that.  

I kind of unintentionally established a pattern for myself when I created a Super Group called "The Extracurriculars", which is just a group of ten of my own alts sharing a particular backstory. It's a group of former students of the Galaxy City International School for Superpowered Girls. Their school was destroyed in the Shivan meteor event, and they had to escape in a hurry, and so their initial "costumes" were more or less just whatever they happened to be wearing at the time, or threw on in a hurry. the backstory then has a number of these students officially forming a team, and once they had the resources (mechanics-wise, at level 10) they each designed a "proper" costume. These were simple out of necessity, so were just your basic spandex costumes. As they gained more experience and acquired more resources (level 20) they improved their costumes to make them more suitable/protective.

That has ended up being the pattern I follow more or less closely with most of my alts, where those who weren't already part of some related organization start out in mostly improvised, homemade costumes, and then those costumes evolve and improve over time. Those who were part of some relevant organization (the military, a security firm, a government agency, etc.) often start out in a costume that is modeled after their former "official" uniform/clothing, and then evolve from there.

My crew typically tend to have their "basic"/signature costume... a "street clothes"/casual outfit... something fancier or formal... and maybe an alternate-color/slightly-different variation on  the signature look. It's very, very rare for me to use more than four or five of the costume slots.

Kai/White Thorn was one exception, since I also did her motorcycle leathers both with and without the helmet when IC she got her bike, and then I also added that spooky "Void Form" black spectrum look to match her partner's very ethereal "Astral form".

Semnai's costumes are also a little unusual for me... I used all ten slots, but she only has five outfits. She just has two very-slightly-different versions of each...

One that's equipped with her Thorn Blade, Xhelethe, and one that's carrying some kind of regular. "mundane" sword instead.

Because that sword has "opinions". And there are some things that Xhel just DOES NOT want to deal with. XD

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

You tell me.  If you can think of something to do with costumes, I've either tried it or willing to make a character for it.

I have many characters that don't use the costume slots at all.

Then there's my "main" that I've had since live.  He's more standard with his hero costume that is also his training costume but with a mask over his eyes.  His other costumes are his school uniform (because he's a teen going to hero school), casual clothes and a slightly older graduated version of him that wears his Super Group's colors.  There's also the curse he has that transforms his body but I only have that as a kind of "easter egg" about one of his arch nemesis who put the curse on him...he used a device to contain the curse.

Been binge watching a cheeky cartoon called Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart and decided to make the character in game.  He's using slots for various renditions of him from the show: 1 is his standard look with red clothing, 2 is his younger self wearing green and with his tail and 3 is a golden version after he ate some cobbler and went "super sayian".

Oh, then there's my demon pistoleers.  1 blaster, 2 demons.  I use the costumes swap which of the 2 demons is in control which also coincides with what kind of bullets fire from the pistols (the demon not in control is bound to the pistols) which also coincides which powers can be used from the other pools (/fire and //ice).  There are also "ascended" versions of both which sort of just turn them white and glowie where either can use all powers.

I also have a magic judge/jury android who uses flames of white purity to cleanse those touched of wrong doing and black fire of damnation to punish evil in eternal torment...basically uses white fire on heroes and black fire on villains and uses the costume slots to get various combinations.  

My latest project is a shape shifter of sorts.  The first few costumes is of him just wearing various combinations of theme (boxer + clown, police + pirate, angle + space cadet) while his other slots are dedicated to cosplaying other main characters.  Only 2 so far though (Miss Liberty and Silver Mantis).