Homecoming Server Update (November 29th): Winter!

Jimmy

• City Council

Hello everyone!

With today's patch we've enabled the Winter event!

• Mysterious Presents have appeared throughout Paragon City and the Rogue Isles
  • Father Time is now present in the Ski Chalet
  • Lord Winter's Realm is available from The LFG Queue
  • Atlas Park has frozen over
  • Lords of Winter Super Packs cost 10 million influence (instead of 25 million) for the duration of the event
Spoiler

unknown.png?width=1515&height=891

Enjoy!

- The Homecoming Team

• Like 8

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I hope one day that The Rogue Isles/Red Side gets a big makeover to make it more aesthetically appealing, where holiday decoration will be warranted. It would probably make people want to play Villains and hang out in the Rogue Isles.

I would recommend an overhaul of Mercy Island to give it a more central Atlas Park-like area around the Arachnos Administration building there, with the Lord Recluse globe statue from Recluses Victory in place of the Atlas Statue and the other four statues replaced with the ones of his four Lieutenants.

Edited by DoctorProteus
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, DoctorProteus said:

I hope one day that The Rogue Isles/Red Side gets a big makeover to make it more aesthetically appealing, where holiday decoration will be warranted. It would probably make people want to play Villains and hang out in the Rogue Isles.

While this isn't really the place to discuss the subject, it's my personal opinion that redside would need a *TOTAL* overhaul of both aesthetics and story content to be more appealing to the people who mainly play City of *Heroes*.  Such a task is IMO far beyond the capabilities of a relatively small volunteer team.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DoctorProteus said:

I didn't track stats back in the day, but I feel like the population on the Red side was always lower than the Blue.  Without something to compel Blue-side players to spend more time in the Rogue Isles, it will likely continue to be that way.  However, if the NCSoft deal were to be completed, allowing for a much more broad advertising campaign about the existence of Homecoming, the population in both places would rise noticeably.  It might not fix the problem, but it should help with the sparse population there.  As far as development, well it's hard to know what is possible.  We all want more, but resources are much more limited than they were back in the days of live.  But, I plan to be around to find out, and see what happens!

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

10 minutes ago, DoctorProteus said:

I would recommend an overhaul of Mercy Island to give it a more central Atlas Park-like area around the Arachnos Administration building there, with the Lord Recluse globe statue from Recluses Victory in place of the Atlas Statue and the other four statues replaced with the ones of his four Lieutenants.

Good Lord.  You hate red side that much that you want to turn Mercy Island into an Atlas Park clone? 

No thank you.  I like the red side zones as they are, and I intentionally avoid Atlas Park as much as possible. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DoctorProteus said:

Yikes. No thank you. Why would anyone want the Rogue Isles to be a Paragon City clone? Paragon City is really ugly. The Rogue Isles are "ugly" in a different sense - at least it's a deliberate aesthetic choice and not an unfortunate accident like most blueside zones.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2019 at 11:25 AM, Li_Sensei said:

...redside would need a *TOTAL* overhaul of both aesthetics and story content to be more appealing to the people who mainly play City of *Heroes*.  

The story content of the villain side is far better and more evolved than hero side. I can genuinely make this claim as I've played both sides. It also doesn't have the ungodly amount of traveling that hero side entails. Mon Dieu!

Please devs... do NOT overhaul red arcs. 

However, letting snow fall in a zone and allow it to be decorated like Atlas would go far in balancing some love for the Isles. I nominate Cap Au Diable for the winter treatment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shandirra said:

The story content of the villain side is far better and more evolved than hero side. I can genuinely make this claim as I've played both sides. It also doesn't have the ungodly amount of traveling that hero side entails. Mon Dieu!

However, letting snow fall in a zone and allow it to be decorated like Atlas would go far in balancing some love for the Isles. I nominate Cap Au Diable for the winter treatment.

Yep. This. Red side has always been more fun to play. During Live, I was there almost all the time. 

21 hours ago, Shandirra said:

Thirded.  The only blue side arc that comes close to or even matches the red side arcs is the Faultline story arc, IMO.

Edited by Apparition

• City Council

As one who has always favored redside myself, I would personally find it extraordinarily awkward if we remade redside without considering what those of us who actually like it want.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

If anything, any revamp Redside should just /add/ stuff, without taking away what's already there.
Like giving some additional narrative conversational branches to all the existing Contacts' arcs, so we can feel a little more self-styled and less lackey'ish. 

Or adding a party cruise ship docked in St. Martial.  Or a military battlecruiser in Sharkhead.  Or zeppelin fortress in Cap au Diable.  

. . . wait.  What was this thread about again?

• Like 2

I prefer blue side to red side, but even I can appreciate the design and differences of red side, so I would hate to see it changed significantly.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

9 hours ago, GM Widower said:

As one who has always favored redside myself, I would personally find it extraordinarily awkward if we remade redside without considering what those of us who actually like it want.

Redside is where dirtbags and hooligans go to plan their next heist on the chumps in paragon city.  I love home.

Sure, maybe some snow and a single tree, but save that fluff for the blueside for now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

2 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

I think it would be awesome to put some X-Mas stuff Redside, but only if it were some halfhearted Charlie Brown Christmas Tree sort of decorations. Something that says, "we don't get this whole holiday spirit thing but we want people to THINK we do."

Maybe they could shoot down a few Longbow skiffs and hang them on the statue of Lord Recluse in Grandville?  They're a festive colour and they'd make good baubles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!