Total Character Reboots on Homecoming

Marine X

I've pretty faithfully recreated most of my Live toons on Homecoming. I've only modified 1 so far ( Livingston went from Stone/Battle Axe Tank to Stone/Fire Tank ). 

Well I finally had to do it. I have hardly played Hawkstar at all ( Level 2 Warshade ) so I recreated him as a Fire/Inv Sentinel which so far has been much more compatible with my playstyle.

I had an easier time on Live with my Peacebringer, and may start a Warshade again later, but it was difficult for me the first time around and even though Void Hunters are not around they still require a lot of patience.

Anyone else Rebooted a Live Character to a totally new Archetype?

• Like 3

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Oh boy did I ever. In fact, of the nine characters I've rebuilt, only my Bots/FF MM, Machinesmith, has stayed the same. In the dark days of no CoH, I had a lot of time to redecide how I felt about those characters. They've had their Mary Sueness cut away for more interesting personas.

My old main, Reep the Barbarian, is gone. Partly because he belongs to another time of my life and partly because I can't stomach the idea of BS/Dark again. He has now become a Nictus, devoid of his own identity, called Eidolon. He has the old costume as one of his alternatives, which was a nice nostalgia hit to do. But he's very much his own thing now.

My main villain was Naazkorath, who was a... um... Dark/Fire brute maybe? He had a Pharaoh vibe to him. He's now an elusive, reality bending, Thugs/Time mastermind, Mister Grim, the immortal, faceless CEO of Grimcorp, a metahuman organisation that pretends to better humanity but has a dark secret agenda.

It's been so good to be able to have these old characters back, and to have the opportunity to refine how I feel about them.

• Like 1

• Retired Lead Game Master

I had a faithful main on retail that was my everything and decided to go with another secondary this time around and I am pretty happy I did. I have recently remade the old character and am excited to see where it goes as well 😄

• Like 1

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

I actually re-invented a few of my old mains from the retail days, making changes to some of their ATs, and powersets.  One of them, I reincarnated first as a Sentinel, and got him to L30.  At that point, I decided that it just wasn't working for me, and re-rolled him as a pure blaster (as he had been originally).  I've had much more fun with him since then.  The others have typically fared better with the choices I made, and most have since attained L50 +3. 

What was no more, is REBORN!

I faithfully recreated all my 50s from live (matching costumes as best I can from memory/screenshots) with the exception of my Grav/Kin... I initially rolled that as a Grav/Time on HC, but wound up doing a Grav/Kin as well and swapping costumes/names because it didn't "feel" right.  

I will say this... I don't know if it's because of the Incarnate system or more affordable IOs or more focused set bonuses or a combination of all that, but I'm finding that - unlike Live - every character I roll is viable on HC.  Some more than others, of course, but where my Ice/TA on Live made me want to claw my eyes out and he never got out of the garage once he hit 50, my HC Ice/TA is actually kind of a beast.  Sure, an agonizingly slow beast, but enough of a beast that I make sure to take him out a couple times a week.  

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I take a slightly different bend on things.  I have always alted a lot.  This has many impacts. One is it is hard for me to earn since i run 50s for a very small part of my playtime. On live that meant i had a trove of enhancers that could kit out at most 3 alts fully blinged. Soooo. I deleted a LOT of 50s on live after a month or two of running. To strip the enhancers with free vet respecs

on Homecoming i delete a lot because my mind gets cluttered as my character warehouse if i don’t

the big winner?  Snarky! Of course.  Originally a ss/will brute villain. With a build created by Hyperstrike he is now a SS/Invul Brute Rogue. And wayyy tougher. 

Builds that i will probably 50 kit out and leave (plans change) are currently Dark/Time Blaster. I always wanted a ranged Redsider   I tried so many things and was never satisfied.  I am relatively happy with Dark/Time Hoverblasting 

my old Grav/NrG Dom Robot is making a comeback. I ran him as a permadom before the Dom changes.  He was too expensive to not destroy with all those purple sets after a couple months lol. Now it looks like he will grind on

Edited by Snarky

I had a Dark/Dark defender who I rerolled as a Dark/Dark controller. It feels much more like I wanted him to be in the first place. The key powers are there. Like as a defender I invested so heavily in the soft control powers - now they're the primary function but the important supports are still there too.

I had an Illusion/Empathy controller who flipped over to Illusion/Time, which actually better matches his theme. 

• Like 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Strangely, most of my Characters, ( Firehawk, Marine X, Corona, Goldfever, Hawkstar, Livingston, Xeniram, Sludge, Warhorse and Thunderess ) were originally characters in a comic book I drew for Art class in High school ( 1980-1982 ) and some had different powers, but was able to find sets that worked for some of them on Live, So changing Things now is like a little re-tweak.

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I had a character named Gradivus on live - he was an Energy/ Energy Tech Blaster. I didn't really do much with him but I liked the name. I remade him as a SS/WP Magic Brute on Everlasting and I'm playing more into the Roman God of War / Superman aspect. He's much more fun and feels more complete as a character.

I've also found the opposite - my main character on live was a Kinetic Melee / SR Scrapper named Hyperblink - she was a speedster and felt awesome to play and level up to incarnate. (Boosted up swift and SS speeds.) Every time I tried to remake her though (different scrapper combos with electric armor or electric melee), I haven't gotten her past lvl 16. Maybe it was because I played her through the Praetorian stuff when it first came out and now she just started in Paragon City? Or maybe I need to try a different build. Before Homecoming was released, I would often daydream about replaying her again, but now it's kinda meh.

I like playing on the Homecoming servers though because it gives you much more freedom to try out different builds and remake characters with extra slots and custom XP gain.

• Like 1

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

Yes, see sig below. 😉  But I also re-created several alts from retail.  Some of them were retconned with new powers, and one even got a new name (by choice, not forced).  But some that I re-created haven't "stuck", for various reasons, so I don't play them any more.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I only managed to remake a few. Got my Night Widow back but that was the only one I remade and kept the same powers for (coz ya know, VEAT and all). I tried to keep my remade first 50 the same (electric blaster) but I gave up and switched to Beam Rifle instead. I figured why not give a roving independent AI its own giant laser gun, what could go wrong? Switched a robot toon from BS/Shield to TW/EA but got to keep the name. Lost out on my crab spider's original name which really bummed me out but I made a decent backstory for the new version that fit with another toon I have.  I've forgotten the majority of names from back then but have been glad to have rebooted a few into better versions.

I've done a few like this, actually. 

• My Fire/Fire Blaster became a Fire/Atomic, in part 'cause I didn't like the constant tick-indicator from Cauterizing Aura and in part because his arch-nemesis (who gave him his powers) was radiation based, so it seemed apt.
  • Speaking of said arch-nemesis, he's a Brute now, instead of a Corruptor.
  • One of my very first villains was a Mind/Thorns Dominator with the gimmick that the "Mind" part was provided by the decorative panda shoulderpiece (a possessed doll) and the "Thorns" were provided by the "main" body being a robot.  Switched to Mind/Dark with the body being a witch instead so the poor panda doesn't get impaled every time his partner uses her powers.
  • And then there's my main, who I "unrebooted".  On the old servers, I mained a Claws/Invulnerability Scrapper for many years.  However, I didn't really like some of the changes that came with the animation upgrades, so I changed to Dual Blades/Invulnerability and more or less kept the character that way until the game ended.  When the game came back, I remade the character as Claws/Inulnverability again.  And then changed again and switched to Willpower.  And then decided on both.  WP's the Primal character, Invuln's the Praetorian.

Not too many have changed completely, though my fire/fire blaster is now a fire/time blaster.

i think I swapped some melee chars around.  (tank/brute/scrapper)

Some I started off as a Praetorian version of the Paragon character.

A lot of my characters are based on Champions characters from the 80s & 90s, so for some I just didn't make a new one because the name was already taken. 😉

My original Main was Fire/Kinetics Controller.

My redux is Demons/Kinetics/Fire Mastery Mastermind.

Thanks for allowing Kinetics on Masterminds, SCoRE/Homecoming/whoeveritwas!  My concept is now almost perfectly realized.   I just need something that's a cross between Dark Miasma and Kinetics as a Secondary to really nail the concept, and a truly noble-undead animation set for movement on a more skeletal frame.

• Like 1

I've only rebuilt one of my original crew... Narada, my Nature/Water Defender... and the things that I changed about her had nothing to do with the powersets. I just made her a somewhat younger version of her old self. (Read: Costume/Look redesign. Build-wise the new one will be identical to the Live-days original.) 

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

My Plant/Emp became a Plant/Storm. 

That left Carnifax stuck as she'd been illusion/storm live. So I remade her as Ill/Dark. Carni became a carnie. 

Costume-wise it turned out id preserved the entire CoH installation into Documents when upgrading my PC. Dont even remember doing it but the cossie files were mostly there. So I've been using them as the basis of new characters (tatooed, kilt wearing broadsword/nrg got Spectrum-oranged into Iron Brew, War Mace/Rad for example).

Fun thread! 🙂

Like many of the posters above, most of my characters on Live were builds of characters from my P&P Champions days.  I immediately rebuilt my main, Mister Mass, as an Inv/SS Tanker - just the same as on Live.  And American Aegis is a MA/Shield Scrapper, same as he ended up on Live (after starting as MA/Inv & rerolling when Shield became available).  Gengetsu, my Dark/Ninitsu Stalker, is still the same, although he went from being a Villain on Live to a Praetorian who chose to go Hero this time. 

But many of my characters have come through the process rather different.  Baron Wonder went from a SS/Electric Brute to Electric/Electric, since I didn't want to have duplicate SS characters this time (I had at least 4 SS toons on LIve - 3 of them 50s).  My Sonic/Sonic Corrupter rerolled as a Defender this time, started in Praetoria instead of the Rogue Isles, & got the name I wanted originally (Sound Byte) instead of the name I played under on Live (Sound Bight).  I consider this one the Praetorian alternate to the Live character.  And my Bots/FF Mastermind, instead of being a male green-skinned alien android is now a female green-skinned alien android, so that she can look like a cross between Sue Storm & Brainiac 5's mom. 😛

The biggest change was to my Gravity/FF Controller, Doc Willpower.  As my Green Lantern homage character, he was a favorite to play, & was one of my 4 top Incarnates on Live, doing all of the iTrials & earning most of the badges.  But I just couldn't see playing him as FF again, especially since I had the Bots/FF Mastermind too.  Instead I built a redside Gravity/Time Controller instead - Doctor Wen - & developed a whole new character & backstory for him.  So instead of rehashing the past, I made something new, interesting, & fun! 🙂

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Heraclea on Victory was Invuln/SS; on Torchbearer she's Inv/Dark Melee.  This is technically a reboot of another Victory character; Omphale back then was Inv/DM, and the pair had so much more synergy that she rather than my namesake became my goto tanker for master runs and the like.  So when I remade Heraclea I went with what I had found worked better.  Glad I avoided Super Strength on Homecoming.

Baroness Munchhausen was an Electric/Shield scrapper then and is now a Reflex/Katana tanker. 

Changing a secondary is a lot more frequent than changing a primary.  Grandma Gnosis was Ill/Emp back then, and is Ill/Rad now. 

Other entirely new characters are melanges of old characters.  I did not remake Betsy Ross (spines/WP scrapper) on Torchbearer, but her Colonial costumes went to Mother of Vinegar, water/WP sentinel.  Both share a concept involving slotting up -recharge procs as well.   My electric/electric blaster on Victory was Mayahuel, Aztec goddess of tequila; now she's Yamnaya, Indo-European warrior princess.  But the Aztec themes went to Catrina, bio/spines tanker,  emissary from the Aztec gods sent to Kill Skuls. 

There really aren't that many characters that have not changed.  Maiden Heaven was then and now a fire/regen scrapper.  Lampito is still an axe/shield tanker. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

The only one I remade the same was Uun, a MA/Inv scrapper and my original main. Reproduced 2 of his costumes as best as I could remember them.

On live, Aix was a Grav/Kin controller and Susanowo was a Storm/Rad defender. They were combined into Uunison, a Grav/Storm controller, using Aix's old costume.

Argent Destiny was a Dark/Rad defender rebuilt as Uundertaker, a Rad/Dark corruptor, with a completely new look and costume.

Short Charlie was a Claws/Regen scrapper and is now a SR/Staff tank named Uunstable.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

There's only one character I MIGHT have AT swapped on to recreate.  I have a claw/ninja scrapper who MIGHT have been a claw/sr brute on Live, but I think was still a scrapper even with the different secondary.  I'm not SURE though.  Other than that I power set swapped one recreated character (ss/elec to street/dark) while retaining her as a brute AT.  

Other than those two examples, I've only recreated one alt from Live.  I have made new takes on a couple of powerset pairings though.

The first Stalker I built in CoV was a Neuromancer-inspired street samurai (claws/energy). She didn't last all that long and was later rerolled to claws/willpower a few issues later. I always loved the costume, though, and kept all my costumes from Live for using in Icon.

Now Homecoming is up, she's been recruited by Arachnos into the ranks of the Night Widows.

I've also recreated a few characters with a Powerset Proliferation update but she's the only character concept to actually swap AT.