Effective AOE combo that isnt fire or spines?

Damoklese

So I would like to play some kind of AOE centered combo. I am basically looking for a character that will level pretty quickly, and can be used for fun, or for farming resources.

I am not really interested in a fire or spines based brute or tanker.  I dont need this character to be "the most optimal AOE farmer".  I just want something that I can have fun playing, but also use to get materials for my less farming friendly characters.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Any class/role is an option.  I dont have any parameters other than "good at AOE farming" and "not a brute/tank using fire or spines"

Roll a radiation melee/electric armor brute, if melee strikes your fancy.  You will have close to the pulsing AoE damage of Spines/Fire without the weaknesses of /Fire or the esthetic annoyances of Spines.

• Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I couldnt click with Rad/Elec brute. Rad melee just seemed too slow animationwise and Elecs end tools come quite late. Mine ended up stuck at 27.

Instead I rolled a Warmace/Rad brute. The AoE tends to come towards the end but its satifying single target too and in the 30s / 40s you just heap the AoEs in. 

Elec/SD broot, lightning rod and shield charge into a mob onto the next.

I use him for the Unai Kemen mish "Get Data from 1st Dimension " which is Freakshow, set for +4×8 and use as a farm.

Run TF's, radio, etc. Had him on Live now have him again.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I'm baffled that nobody has suggested a blaster. The dmg/cd on blaster t9s is so wildly out of line with everything else in the game and most sets have 2-3 extra aoes on top of that.

Triform warshades also dish out a ton of AoE damage, though they slow down a bit when you have to stop and finish off the bosses in each spawn.

So set things to not spawn bosses when soloing? Not that even bosses survive long under a double mire aoe assault. And if need be, blow up one of the plethora of defeated enemies. That'll probably finish off any stragglers.

Also, believe it or not but a Trick Arrow defender also unleashes frightening amounts of aoe damage after level 32... Assuming you can ignite the oil slick that is. Oil slick, the large aoe -resist arrow, maybe acid arrow, light the oil slick, and everything melts. Slotted right, you can do this every other enemy group, at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Damoklese said:

So I would like to play some kind of AOE centered combo. I am basically looking for a character that will level pretty quickly, and can be used for fun, or for farming resources.

I am not really interested in a fire or spines based brute or tanker.  I dont need this character to be "the most optimal AOE farmer".  I just want something that I can have fun playing, but also use to get materials for my less farming friendly characters.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Any class/role is an option.  I dont have any parameters other than "good at AOE farming" and "not a brute/tank using fire or spines"

Robots/Traps Mastermind. You may not level as quickly (on your own) as with other toons, but such a build can run in farms.

Traps has a lot of options to keep enemies in place, each of the bots (and assorted primary/pool powers) can be slotted for Knockdown to keep farm critters where you want them for AoE attacks (from the pets). Warning: this will be any extremely noisy farming experience, and it is one that you can't run on auto-pilot.

electric melee / shield defense and add spring jump and maybe a targeted area of effect from an epic pool.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

18 hours ago, Carnifax said:

I couldnt click with Rad/Elec brute. Rad melee just seemed too slow animationwise and Elecs end tools come quite late. Mine ended up stuck at 27.

Instead I rolled a Warmace/Rad brute. The AoE tends to come towards the end but its satifying single target too and in the 30s / 40s you just heap the AoEs in. 

I had a hard time getting into the character at first as well...

but after more was in place it rapidly became one of my favorites. 

That said, my newest character is a Willpower/Mace tanker.  Curious as to how the AoE changes affect Willpower's ability to hold aggro.  There are also many chances to add procs and to slot up control to add toughness in ways that aren't obvious in hero builders.

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

5 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Mace, more of a cone set but solid singles to back it up as well.  Almost want to take all off of the attacks and skip BU, it's so fun.

As I said, my mace character is a Willpower tanker.  I always skip generic buildup on tankers, it's too slow, and you probably have inspirations that do more and last longer.  I'd suspect it's eminently skippable on most brutes as well: while DPS is more of a goal for the brute there are more efficient ways to buff your damage. 

6 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

That said, my newest character is a Willpower/Mace tanker.  Curious as to how the AoE changes affect Willpower's ability to hold aggro.  There are also many chances to add procs and to slot up control to add toughness in ways that aren't obvious in hero builders.

Obviously their strengths are different, but I have a War Mace/Willpower Scrapper and she's awesome. Can survive almost anything with good damage and tons of knockdown. I've played around in Mid's just a little bit with WP on a Tank and the numbers look ridiculous. With the added AoE and the taunt buff to Rise to the Challenge I bet that will be great at holding aggro. If my Scrapper wasn't so new, this is the combo I would have made with the changes that just came out for Tanks.

I will second the Staff and Bio combo. Currently rolling a set out Bio/Staff Tank and absolutely loving it, especially with Offense and the Staff stance for additional damage; pseudo Scrapper. Both of the cones are very generous and forgiving. The damage aura is very nice, especially once the -Res from Bio hits the mobs, even more damage. Not to mention, for the fun factor, the Staff taunt is probably one of the absolute coolest I have seen so far.

I just leveled and am starting to incarnate a invul/ kin melee tank. I am shocked by the good AoE and (gasp) range. The KM animations are....unusual. The buff power is mostly useful against tough bosses due to the building up aspect. I created him as a Magic Tank Mage and that is literally what he turned out to be crazy spell casting and all. Generous AoE no doubt about that