Finally joined the game - newbie needs advice

PopZeCherry

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I highly recommend super strength willpower brute for this conceptually and functionally.  At high level builds invulnerability armor is better than willpower but we are talking about just starting out

i have run a ton of super strength, invulnerability and willpower on mostly Brutes. I soloed all redside on ss/will brutes twice. All solo content  it is a very solid build and tons of fun

whatever you choose good luckand welcome to Homecoming. I play on Everlasting as Snarky Snarkrot Snarkanum Snarkbot Snarkthis Snarkthat. Danged. Now i want to create two new alts. Kitten. Laser pointer leap!! 

I think I may start on everlasting. Simply for the roleplay aspects alone. never roleplayed before but I could potentially get into it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PopZeCherry said:

Thank you for the warm welcome and yeah I’m thinking of trying out a melee tank, how do I get my character to fly from level one or get an easy way to travel sorted? Is there a certain option I have to pick? 

and I will do 

You can actually get Flight at level 1, but doing so means you're making a Peacebringer. That was one of the ATs listed earlier that you probably should stay away from for a starting character, not because they are bad but because they're complex to build and play - they also used to require you having a level 50 character to unlock because of that.

That's why you see advice like this:

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Travel powers open up at Level 4, but you can get a Ninja Run for free from the Pay 2 Win vendor (in the starting area for both villains and heroes) that moves pretty fast.

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your stay!

2 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Travel powers become available at level 4, via Power Pool selection.  Until then, you are just running/jumping to get where you need to go.

And honestly. between Outbreak/Breakout and a bit of streetsweeping, you can be level 4 inside of half an hour.   And learn a LOT about you character, the con system, etc...

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

3 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Avoid AE

Avoid dfb spam and dib spam

Welcome to Paragon City/Rogue Isles/Praetoria.

Until you have some practical game experience, make this a mantra and avoid these like the Plague.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

3 hours ago, Bopin said:

Can't wait till' I get to creation of my character, halfway through the download. I always spend too much time on it but dang I love it when I see it finished! I'll try to make my character as close to my drawing if possible. (ref. image)

Concept - NewGeneration_Breakthrough_model final.png

I would very much like to see what you come up with.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

@PopZeCherry @Bopin

Welcome!

Get in there and make some mistakes (there really are not any awful mistakes even if it feels like it at the time)

remember - advice is usually worth what you paid for it.

and - the character creator is highly addictive. 

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

57 minutes ago, PopZeCherry said:

Scratch that it seems I accidentally made my char on the excelsior server haha

Nothing wrong with Excelsior, but if you really decide to change to Everlasting, character transfers are free and I think you can do like 5 a week or something like that. The only risk is that your name is taken on the target server and you have to rename your char.

4 hours ago, Bopin said:

Can't wait till' I get to creation of my character, halfway through the download. I always spend too much time on it but dang I love it when I see it finished! I'll try to make my character as close to my drawing if possible. (ref. image)

Concept - NewGeneration_Breakthrough_model final.png

Check out the Fire and Ice costume set.

And welcome aboard!

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I have to compare and contrast the tone of this newbie asking for advice, versus another one posting about problems in the end game and how the game is so bad and hard, and then the responses that they got. Not that the other didn't get helpful responses, but ... you get more helpful advice with polite requests for advice than with complaints.

My advice is to just play.

Try out each AT for at least a few levels.

Shop around, take your time, enjoy the game itself.

Find what you like, not what anyone else thinks you like or might like or might have fun with, play them all, even to just level 2 or 3.

Don't worry about finding a home on a specific server, you can move anytime.

And most important, have fun your way and don't let any of the various sub-groups tell you the right way to play.

All ATs work, levels will come at you fast and easy, no need to think, at all, this is like other MMOs where you have to have angst over choices.

Enjoy your ride.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2020 at 1:37 PM, Coyote said:

I have to compare and contrast the tone of this newbie asking for advice, versus another one posting about problems in the end game and how the game is so bad and hard, and then the responses that they got. Not that the other didn't get helpful responses, but ... you get more helpful advice with polite requests for advice than with complaints.

I’d say it’s just a case of treat others as you wish to be treated, treat others with respect and request people’s knowledge and help and they will be more than happy to share that knowledge and the help requested with you? 

im not entirely sure though. 

Thank you everyone for the help and amazing welcome I received 🙂 

I shall look through all the comments and take everyone’s advice on board. 

ive been toying around with different archetypes for about a day now. Still not completely decided on how I want to play but I will definitely try to make my mind up and when I do I hope I get to play with you all at some point! 🙂 

• Like 1

Also, while I echo the advice to try out different characters, archetypes and power sets -- I've often been surprised to find I liked something more than I'd expected -- don't delete anyone, even if you don't really like the powersets.  You've got 1000 character slots on each shard of Homecoming...just open a new character.  Drag the duds off the first page if they bother you (you can reorder your list by dragging).  If you want to re-use the name, just rename the dud and make a new character with the name you just released.  E-mail the influence and transfer enhancements (e-mail or, more efficiently, through a base rack) to other characters if you need them, but save the character's exp progress.

You never know when you might decide you'd like to try again with a discarded character, so save the levels.  If you get 999 slots filled, feel free to delete.  😉

If you're playing on Excelsior I'll be around this evening/weekend and I'd be 100% on board to run some arcs/missions with you. Can just duo up and slow roll it. Feel free to global me "@Vibal Magus".

CoH has a great teaming/level mechanic so you never really outgrow content. 

I'm going to echo Sailboat's advice a couple of steps back regarding not deleting anyone. 

For me, every now and then, I think to myself "boy I should make a staff/super reflex scrapper", or some such thing.  As it turns out I already have one at lvl 17 that I quit  for whatever reason.  Then you start up again and realize that you stopped that character for a reason lol. 

Save all of your costumes. After you delete 2 Gun Willie it may be perfect for Mr Plantain. 

Same can be said about the colours you pick for your powers. 

Avoid DFB and AE for a while.   They have their place but that's for later on. 

DBL XP at the P2W person can wait as well.  

Run the arcs, read the stories, explore the City. 

Take on different street gangs and pick your favorite.  Why are the Trolls so grumpy all the time?  Why are the Hellions always snatching purses?  Who is the leader of the Outcast and what does his future hold?

Foil the plots of a corrupt corporation. Face off against an invading army from another dimension or help a ghost find inner peace.

Solo.

Team.

Join a supergroup, always see people  recruiting. Good way to meet others and learn stuff.  Or make a solo one and have a private lair, where you can stash whatever  goodies you want.   You can invite yours alts into the SG. The command is "/altinvite Mr Plantain" without the quotation marks. Change Mr Plantain to whatever your name is and done.

Mr Plantain.....stupid name. 

So many power set combinations to choose from. 

Goliath made of stone carrying a war hammer?  Sure. 

Displaced Time traveller who doesn't do much actual damage but makes EVERY baddie in the room slow down to a crawl?  Sure

Flaming demon with razor sharp claws?  Sure. 

Robot in command of an army protected by force  fields?  Sure. 

Don't be afraid to run through Praetoria at some point.  Just be aware  you get swarms of baddies occasionaly. Which is great fun. Terrifying at the same time.  Ghouls are my favorite.  The writing is wonderful , the zones are beautiful and it has branching story lines. 

Think that's all I got. 

Happy hunting and welcome. 

Hmmm....Mr Plantain you say. Always wanted to make a Plant/Kin Troller. 

Dibs. 

Edited by Sakai

Welcome home!

One thing I would suggest would be to read up on the various guides on the guides forum. In a lot of cases, the guides come out of someone writing down the things they learned by experience and wished they'd been told when they started out. I know they were in my case! (Just click the link in my signature, below.)

And if you have any problems in-game, feel free to ask about them in /help — one of the best things about this game is that so many people are so helpful. 

• Thanks 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

On 1/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, PopZeCherry said:

Really appreciate the reply. I'm basically modelling my character around the incredible hulk it seems at the moment. But I'm thinking to switch it up a bit haha

I would recommend a Brute. Super Strength Willpower.  I actually ran many of these over the years so it is a tested recommendation

the reasons are many. Your concept. Okay Brutes have a built in mechanic called Fury. Helps them do damage. Super Strength gets Rage. More damage. And fitting ti concept

Brutes are melee, tough, and a great character to explore with. 

Super Strength fits your concept. Willpower is a very good all around armor set that functions well with almost no investment. I have run it many times. If i did not have billions to pour into builds this is the armor set i would (and have!) counted on to make my life easier

Do not be shy. I run on everlasting. Usually on by 6 pacific. Just broadcadt as you log in you are new and could someone toss you a couple thousand for a jetpack. 

go to P2W. Heroside it is (as you zone in) to the left of the guy with one huge ball. Villain side it is behind you on a ledge by the hospital

P2W is the inside joke pay to win vendor.  Only no one pays anything but (relatively) cheap in game cash. At the top of ber list is free experience (experience boosters) at the botoom temporary powers. Travel powers. Jet pack. One of the 7 options is much cheaper. 5000 per half hour fuel can stack a few hours

good luck and have fun