What are your "ignore" habits and why?

Tahliah

2 hours ago, Dreamboat said:

The only people I have on ignore are people who created character names with racial slurs, etc. in them and then spammed chat channels with other hugely creative slurs because you need some kind of hobby, I guess. I haven't seen anyone do it in a long time and I'm assuming the ones I had on ignore have long since been banned.
Other than stuff like that, I don't put anyone on ignore. I will use notes to mark someone who's consistently been an ass, though.

Yeah... this is about how I use it, too.  I ignore people who are obviously trolling "real life" and not playing a game.  

For everything else I use my internal ignore flag where I just don't read what some people say.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I had to double check.  But I've never placed anyone on ignore before.  But I solo at least 50% of the time that I play, so I'm probably not the person that's going to run into a lot of idiots.  If someone was intentionally being foul AND attacking me personally, I would ignore them, but not before escalating to a GM, which means I won't be hearing from that person again anyway.  But we have such an awesome community that is just a hypothetical and not a reality

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I have removed the Help and General chat channels from my chat tabs, so I ignore those.

I had four people on global ignore for door sitting Strike/Task Forces.  Not moving from the entrance in the first mission... Okie, stuff happens.  That you left for the second mission and door sat again, now that's very suspicious.  Third mission?  Nope, gone.  /ignore followed by /kick.

I had one person on global ignore for griefing a Hamidon raid.  I had two people on global ignore for griefing one of my Rikti mothership raids.

I mapserved about halfway during one of the Rikti mothership raids I lead a few months ago.  I came back a couple of minutes later.  I had some SG mates in the raid, and they told me who had the league star.  I messaged him for a re-invite.  No reply.  Messaged again a couple of minutes later.  No reply.  I messaged again a few minutes later with explicit instructions on how to invite me in case the person was new or never lead a league before.  No reply.   I must have sent over a half dozen tells during the remainder of the MSR, with no reply nor invite.  Meanwhile, this person continued to be active during the mothership raid.  I promptly /ignored him after the raid was over so that person will never be on one of my MSRs again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not quick to ignore folks but I will for the typical stuff, which includes some combination of spamming, excessive begging for PL or AE farm, excessive cursing, or just general obnoxious behavior in chat. I checked my list today and had eight people on there, so in the spirit of the thread I cleared the list, especially since I think it's been at least a few weeks since I added anyone, and since I generally prefer the list to be empty.

• Like 1

My ignore rules are simple. I will ignore you for:

A) Being a jerk or spamming the Help channel with nonsense.

B) Having custom key binds and macros that post to the Help chat every time you hit a button.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

14 hours ago, Jaguaratron said:

People seeking others for a team who then dont respond in any way, it takes at worst 30 seconds to announce team is full on general and then say sorry to those who just missed out. I think its ignorant not to reply and have no desire to team with ignorant people so on the ignore list they go. I couldnt care less how or bad a player you are or whatever class or build you want to run, unless Im running an AT specific run on something I always specify to bring whatever you like.

Yes, that is quite the annoyance. While I don’t ignore anyone for that, I do two-star them with a note so that I can pick them out later in PUGs. There are even some that have moved from two to five after more teaming.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, justicebeliever said:

I had to double check.  But I've never placed anyone on ignore before.  But I solo at least 50% of the time that I play, so I'm probably not the person that's going to run into a lot of idiots.  If someone was intentionally being foul AND attacking me personally, I would ignore them, but not before escalating to a GM, which means I won't be hearing from that person again anyway.  But we have such an awesome community that is just a hypothetical and not a reality

Wait, we are just talking in-game right?  Because for the forums, I have lots of people on ignore.

• Haha 3

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I have exactly two people on ignore on HC.  One was a person leading an ITF.  I was on a brute, and was the closest thing that team had to a tank, so when the seafood ambush spawned I moved to intercept them and did not notice that the Oracle was stuck to me.  So the team leader kicked me from the task force, and they went on ignore. 

Second incident was similar.  Raid leader on Keyes trial.  I took a blaster to the raid, apparently a mistake.  Raid leader creates an all blaster team and announces that to get some badge or another, only blasters were allowed to attack the doors.  Blaster team leader dies during the attempt while attacking a door, which apparently messed up one badge.  Since I had gotten an entirely inadequate explanation of what I was supposed to do, I moved to fill in for the fallen blaster and finished opening the door.  This was apparently a mistake.  Both blaster team leader and I got kicked from the raid.  Nope, not teaming with that guy any more either. 

Not going to ignore anyone just for what they say in chat, too thick skinned for that. 

• Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

28 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I have exactly two people on ignore on HC.  One was a person leading an ITF.  I was on a brute, and was the closest thing that team had to a tank, so when the seafood ambush spawned I moved to intercept them and did not notice that the Oracle was stuck to me.  So the team leader kicked me from the task force, and they went on ignore. 

Second incident was similar.  Raid leader on Keyes trial.  I took a blaster to the raid, apparently a mistake.  Raid leader creates an all blaster team and announces that to get some badge or another, only blasters were allowed to attack the doors.  Blaster team leader dies during the attempt while attacking a door, which apparently messed up one badge.  Since I had gotten an entirely inadequate explanation of what I was supposed to do, I moved to fill in for the fallen blaster and finished opening the door.  This was apparently a mistake.  Both blaster team leader and I got kicked from the raid.  Nope, not teaming with that guy any more either. 

Not going to ignore anyone just for what they say in chat, too thick skinned for that. 

If those fools are on Excelsior, toss me their global so that I can add them. Anyone that you have to ignore should be ignored by everyone.

Checking, I have two on my ignore list. One for spamming channels with idiocy and one that kicked Detective2416 (aka Defuser) from a chat channel for not answering tells fast enough to their liking. Anyone that would kick him should also be ignored by everyone.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

I've got 6 people on ignore. It's pretty rare, but I will ignore people for being jerks. Like quitting in the middle of a TF and then showing up in LFG chat looking for a team. Or insisting on running content at +4 when the team is clearly not up to it and is serially wiping.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I don't have anyone on ignore.  With everyone's rampant altitis it's pretty tough for me to keep track of who people are (i'm sure someone will educate me how in this very thread shortly!).  I have been on teams/leagues that have had some people who say things that reference political hot button topics or general asshattery, but I generally just excuse myself with a "this is not the team/league for me."

The great thing about the City, is that there's always something else to go and do, and tons of better people to go and do it alongside.

• Like 1

Annoying spammers or people trying to act edgy get on my ignore if they do it enough.  I really should add notes on some people.

There are some people that have particular styles of running teams I'd prefer to avoid, or at least a note saying "Oh yea, they don't deal well with X" so that I don't do X or avoid the team in that case.

8 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Wow ... that's crazy

That particular ambush seems to cause no end of drama.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:27 PM, Ukase said:

Thus far, I've only got three people on ignore. One - I've never encountered on a team, but I see his commentary on Excelsior chat. From the names of his characters, and his comments, I am convinced that this person is stoned out of their gourd and/or a serial rapist. 

Obviously, it's unfair for me to pass judgement that harsh on someone simply for comments made - but the names with the comments are just so gross, I don't want to think about it. 

Another person was someone I'd done several leagues/teams with - who no longer plays. No sense getting into it - but I just got tired of seeing messages spamming throughout the day for folks to join his sg after I read/experienced bad behavior towards another teammate during an ITF. 

Lastly, was a person who'd just sent me a tell asking me to PL them, as if it was the most normal, reasonable thing in the world to ask someone you'd never teamed with or spoken with before. At the time, it was just ...offensive. Anyone who'd just send tells to anyone else with no introduction for something like that is just not someone I want to know. 

So, to sum up - to get on my list - be unknown to me and ask me for influence or a PL out of the blue, or be very gross, or be very critical of new players without offering any solution or advice to them, nor recognizing the possibility of being completely in error about your own understanding of the game. (you kind of had to be there) 

Will you PL me?

I've not put anyone in City of Heroes, back on Live or here on Homecoming, on my ignore list.  I've been lucky and never had anyone I thought I should do that with.  Though I understand the need for ignore.  I've had interactions in other MMOs that were ignore worthy (I wish SWTOR had a setting to autodecline dueling requests after having some idiot pester me for over 10 minutes; only later did I wonder whether there was an ignore feature I could have used).

As for being put on ignore.   Last week, I put together a league to take out the Council Goliath War Walker in Boomtown.  I'm not practiced at handling a league.  As well, I was on a mid-level toon, so I had to arrange to swap the league over to a Level 50 right before going at the War Walker.  Get the league near full, give out a call for last joiners, then swap league leadership and go after the Goliath War Walker.

After it's down, I get a tell from another character thanking me.  I reply you're welcome back.  Then I get a reply and realisation hits: the first tell was very sarcastic.  I'd missed the person's request to join the league and they lost out.  I reply back with an apology, but they've obviously put me on ignore.

This lead me to change my chat layout hopefully to aid me not repeating this mishap in the future.  As @Tahliah points out, people have bad days and sometimes screw up.  Live, learn, and improve.

• Like 2

One of the few names on my ignore list, was arguing (poorly) in a general chat channel.  This alone wouldn't have triggered an ignore, but they were such a crap job of it, while also declaring themselves the winner...

i usually ignore people who complain like 3 year olds over anything and i usually also ignored that one dude who is trying to cry like bitch-ass dweeb on LFG just because he didn't join the  hami raid.

Edited by Freaksh0w